Short version: American expat living in Manila, Philippines after 7 years in Java, Indonesia. Photographer, “Technology Integration Specialist”, trained as an Engineer/ Designer, traveler.
Long version: Keep reading…
Indonesia has been my home for many years. It is a land of exquisite beauty, exotic cultures, and fascinating people, all of which have been a continual source of inspiration for my photography.
During my time here, I have seen the magnificence of destruction, the hope of rebuilding, and an astounding resilience which is a testament to the Indonesian people’s vitality and perseverance. My journeys often take me into areas of absolute poverty, yet smiles abound. Vibrant colors saturate the landscape, and unimaginable splendor is found in the most unexpected of places.
My photographs tend to explore the juxtaposition of the mundane and the exotic and seek the essence of what makes something beautiful. This may take the form of a graceful Balinese dancer’s feet twirling around delicate flower petals, the sky blue of a slum wall behind the brilliant fuchsia of a food vendor’s cart, or the rain-soaked tea plantations carpeting the side of a perilous volcano. Through this collection of photographs, I hope to share Indonesia’s vitality and the simple allure of this breathtaking country.
Now on to the reality.
Seven years. Seven breathtaking, phenomenal, life-changing years.
That’s how long I lived on the island of Java, Indonesia. It was quite possibly the farthest place I could have chosen from my ‘home’ of Michigan, in the States. What am I doing here? Perhaps we should rephrase that. What am I not doing here?
I spent seven (not that’s not a typo) years achieving a degree in Engineering / Industrial Design / and Fine Arts. I ’should’ be working in that field I suppose, designing cars and making loads of cash. Instead I’ve opted for traveling. Far. I’ve been here ever since. I consider the time spent here my second education, and in many ways, more important than the first.
My most active project with flickr has been the creation of FlickrSocial. The group I find the most inspiration from, has to be Utata.
I have a blog, if you'd like to hear the rest of the story, please take a look!
Prints are available here.
Find me on facebook.
My space on myspace.
I shoot digital after a brief, yet passionate affair with film, red lamps, and chemical highs - the ‘real’ darkroom. I love the ability to view my work immediately, and in a place like Indonesia, digital is your friend.
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8II
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 420EX
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Crumpler Six Million Dollar bag
*Previously used Canon 300D and 350D
My Digital Darkroom consists of the following:
17″ Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM / 500GB
15″ Macbook Pro 2.16Ggzh 3GB RAM / 160GB
13″ MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM
5+TB of external drives
Adobe Photoshop CS3 / CS4
Email: thejavajive [at] gmail [dot] com
Photos of javajive (1)
- Canon EOS 6D - Official Group 482,264 photos, 13,863 members
- Fuji X Mount Cameras with alt and legacy lenses 26,164 photos, 1,313 members
- FUJIFILM X Street Photography 199,371 photos, 6,420 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 267,588 photos, 8,646 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 219,394 photos, 6,115 members
- Fuji X-E1 64,312 photos, 1,878 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 132,630 photos, 6,558 members
- Hipstamatic 317,103 photos, 16,384 members
- MAGIC PRIME (Canon EF 135 f/2.0 L) 22,285 photos, 1,583 members
- flickristasindios 100,092 photos, 2,776 members
- canon photography 6,370,739 photos, 110,214 members
- Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell 10,390 photos, 11,261 members
- "Philippine Photographic Society" 75,825 photos, 1,579 members
- Pinoy Photojournalist 6,884 photos, 1,107 members
- "Only in the Philippines!" 80,731 photos, 3,008 members
- Philippines Images 84,024 photos, 4,051 members
- Philippines 165,938 photos, 8,435 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 950,754 photos, 28,148 members
- Cover Models 3,042 photos, 607 members
- Candid Street Photography Group 740,056 photos, 31,171 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 847,890 photos, 47,538 members
- bokeh 223,376 photos, 64,014 members
- * Bokeh & Short DOF (No Macros - Please Read The Guidelines) 25,886 photos, 2,629 members
- Best of Indonesia Photos 37,851 photos, 4,329 members
- Aperture Users 443,347 photos, 11,852 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 211,945 photos, 10,511 members
- Darkest Dreaming 4,911 photos, 774 members
- Digital Black and White (2 per day: no nudity: no colour) 195,530 photos, 9,269 members
- Lowlight Gallery 40,527 photos, 2,176 members
- prime lenses (fixed focal length) 479,197 photos, 10,800 members
- Photoshop Support Group 325,823 photos, 36,002 members
- Shoot Wide Open 98,705 photos, 3,739 members
- Wedding Photography 260,030 photos, 52,686 members
- Canon prime lens club 95,154 photos, 7,579 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,185 photos, 80,563 members
- Award Flickr Best 16,814 photos, 2,679 members
- Volcanoes 41,250 photos, 5,253 members
- Beautiful Bali... 5,569 photos, 1,613 members
- bokeh whores 373,445 photos, 14,064 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,463,008 photos, 74,908 members
- ~ Platinum Photography Group ~ 327,430 photos, 33,081 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 186,522 photos, 5,888 members
- National Geographic Faces of the World 77,934 photos, 3,304 members
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM 60,206 photos, 6,703 members
- Global Spirit ==>Sacred Images Only! (post 1, comment 1 please) 4,733 photos, 569 members
- Experimentation 147,546 photos, 10,925 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 216,546 photos, 15,004 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 575,269 photos, 30,607 members
- Cambodia Images 97,704 photos, 6,349 members
- Angkor Temples 22,212 photos, 1,711 members
Suryani Shinta says:
"I am indonesian,..I love all your pics about my country.
May 24th, 2007
Franc Le Blanc . says:
"It 's always a pleasure to browse your photocollection .I do this very often because you have so beautiful pictures.You surprise me every time with your remarkable collection. I feel the large and small things in life."
September 24th, 2006
"I've not heard from Brandon for a bit but I contiune to follow his fantastic photographs that allow me a unique glimpse into the lives going on around him."
June 9th, 2005
"Its hard to say what first attracted me to his photo stream. Every picture is unique,and beautiful. What I love about his photography is the essence of life it brings. The thoughts and questions they leave behind are just a bonus.
February 6th, 2005
"Brandon is one of the finest photographers on Flickr. period.
Whether his stunningly beautiful 'better half', the powerfully poignant temple at Borobudur, or everyday street life in Yogyakarta - his photography goes deeper than the technical mastery of taking a great shot to the revelation of his subject's inner dignity, energy, and beauty. That is the power of a true artist and a sincere human being."
December 27th, 2004
- Brandon Hoover
- October 2004
- Jakarta, Indonesia (formerly Michigan)
- Manila, Philippines
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Technology Integration Specialist - Trained as an Industrial Designer
- j a v a j i v e