Short version: American expat living in Manila, Philippines after 7 years in Java, Indonesia. Photographer, “Technology Integration Specialist”, trained as an Engineer/ Designer, traveler.
Long version: Keep reading…
Indonesia has been my home for many years. It is a land of exquisite beauty, exotic cultures, and fascinating people, all of which have been a continual source of inspiration for my photography.
During my time here, I have seen the magnificence of destruction, the hope of rebuilding, and an astounding resilience which is a testament to the Indonesian people’s vitality and perseverance. My journeys often take me into areas of absolute poverty, yet smiles abound. Vibrant colors saturate the landscape, and unimaginable splendor is found in the most unexpected of places.
My photographs tend to explore the juxtaposition of the mundane and the exotic and seek the essence of what makes something beautiful. This may take the form of a graceful Balinese dancer’s feet twirling around delicate flower petals, the sky blue of a slum wall behind the brilliant fuchsia of a food vendor’s cart, or the rain-soaked tea plantations carpeting the side of a perilous volcano. Through this collection of photographs, I hope to share Indonesia’s vitality and the simple allure of this breathtaking country.
Now on to the reality.
Seven years. Seven breathtaking, phenomenal, life-changing years.
That’s how long I lived on the island of Java, Indonesia. It was quite possibly the farthest place I could have chosen from my ‘home’ of Michigan, in the States. What am I doing here? Perhaps we should rephrase that. What am I not doing here?
I spent seven (not that’s not a typo) years achieving a degree in Engineering / Industrial Design / and Fine Arts. I ’should’ be working in that field I suppose, designing cars and making loads of cash. Instead I’ve opted for traveling. Far. I’ve been here ever since. I consider the time spent here my second education, and in many ways, more important than the first.
My most active project with flickr has been the creation of FlickrSocial. The group I find the most inspiration from, has to be Utata.
I have a blog, if you'd like to hear the rest of the story, please take a look!
Prints are available here.
Find me on facebook.
My space on myspace.
I shoot digital after a brief, yet passionate affair with film, red lamps, and chemical highs - the ‘real’ darkroom. I love the ability to view my work immediately, and in a place like Indonesia, digital is your friend.
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8II
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 420EX
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Crumpler Six Million Dollar bag
*Previously used Canon 300D and 350D
My Digital Darkroom consists of the following:
17″ Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM / 500GB
15″ Macbook Pro 2.16Ggzh 3GB RAM / 160GB
13″ MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM
5+TB of external drives
Adobe Photoshop CS3 / CS4
Email: thejavajive [at] gmail [dot] com
Photos of javajive (1)
- Canon EOS 6D - Official Group 355,320 photos, 12,586 members
- Fuji X Mount Cameras with alt and legacy lenses 17,162 photos, 1,038 members
- FUJIFILM X Street Photography 129,128 photos, 4,766 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 233,803 photos, 8,342 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 187,818 photos, 5,888 members
- Fuji X-E1 53,317 photos, 1,749 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 122,931 photos, 6,602 members
- Hipstamatic 324,517 photos, 16,773 members
- MAGIC PRIME (Canon EF 135 f/2.0 L) 19,328 photos, 1,519 members
- flickristasindios 100,472 photos, 2,852 members
- canon photography 5,284,329 photos, 99,271 members
- Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell 10,458 photos, 11,262 members
- "Philippine Photographic Society" 71,912 photos, 1,592 members
- Pinoy Photojournalist 6,949 photos, 1,113 members
- "Only in the Philippines!" 72,459 photos, 2,909 members
- Philippines Images 74,905 photos, 3,954 members
- Philippines 161,205 photos, 8,262 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 846,692 photos, 26,827 members
- Cover Models 3,112 photos, 625 members
- Street Photography 757,765 photos, 29,605 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 730,322 photos, 41,850 members
- bokeh 208,232 photos, 60,456 members
- * Bokeh & Short DOF (No Macros - Please Read The Guidelines) 22,614 photos, 2,462 members
- Best of Indonesia Photos 33,907 photos, 3,978 members
- Aperture Users 420,908 photos, 12,105 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 198,269 photos, 10,137 members
- Darkest Dreaming 4,999 photos, 778 members
- Digital Black and White (2 per day: no nudity: no colour) 148,510 photos, 8,614 members
- Lowlight Gallery 35,218 photos, 2,071 members
- prime lenses (fixed focal length) 403,245 photos, 10,054 members
- Photoshop Support Group 298,968 photos, 35,018 members
- Shoot Wide Open 89,877 photos, 3,677 members
- Wedding Photography 251,740 photos, 51,260 members
- Canon prime lens club 79,820 photos, 6,901 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,988 photos, 75,202 members
- Award Flickr Best 17,623 photos, 2,645 members
- Volcanoes 37,806 photos, 5,006 members
- Beautiful Bali... 5,729 photos, 1,550 members
- bokeh whores 325,289 photos, 13,492 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,326,649 photos, 71,788 members
- Platinum Photography Group ~ "High Quality" 287,628 photos, 32,539 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 167,299 photos, 5,714 members
- National Geographic Faces of the World 69,093 photos, 3,069 members
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM 57,159 photos, 6,448 members
- Global Spirit ==>Sacred Images Only! (post 1, comment 1 please) 4,758 photos, 578 members
- Experimentation 142,267 photos, 10,991 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 170,639 photos, 14,758 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 552,097 photos, 30,381 members
- Cambodia Images 89,357 photos, 5,987 members
- Angkor Temples 20,881 photos, 1,585 members
Suryani Shinta says:
"I am indonesian,..I love all your pics about my country.
May 24th, 2007
Franc Le Blanc . says:
"It 's always a pleasure to browse your photocollection .I do this very often because you have so beautiful pictures.You surprise me every time with your remarkable collection. I feel the large and small things in life."
September 24th, 2006
"I've not heard from Brandon for a bit but I contiune to follow his fantastic photographs that allow me a unique glimpse into the lives going on around him."
June 9th, 2005
"Its hard to say what first attracted me to his photo stream. Every picture is unique,and beautiful. What I love about his photography is the essence of life it brings. The thoughts and questions they leave behind are just a bonus.
February 6th, 2005
"Brandon is one of the finest photographers on Flickr. period.
Whether his stunningly beautiful 'better half', the powerfully poignant temple at Borobudur, or everyday street life in Yogyakarta - his photography goes deeper than the technical mastery of taking a great shot to the revelation of his subject's inner dignity, energy, and beauty. That is the power of a true artist and a sincere human being."
December 27th, 2004
- Brandon Hoover
- October 2004
- Jakarta, Indonesia (formerly Michigan)
- Manila, Philippines
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Technology Integration Specialist - Trained as an Industrial Designer
- j a v a j i v e