Short version: American expat living in Manila, Philippines after 7 years in Java, Indonesia. Photographer, “Technology Integration Specialist”, trained as an Engineer/ Designer, traveler.
Long version: Keep reading…
Indonesia has been my home for many years. It is a land of exquisite beauty, exotic cultures, and fascinating people, all of which have been a continual source of inspiration for my photography.
During my time here, I have seen the magnificence of destruction, the hope of rebuilding, and an astounding resilience which is a testament to the Indonesian people’s vitality and perseverance. My journeys often take me into areas of absolute poverty, yet smiles abound. Vibrant colors saturate the landscape, and unimaginable splendor is found in the most unexpected of places.
My photographs tend to explore the juxtaposition of the mundane and the exotic and seek the essence of what makes something beautiful. This may take the form of a graceful Balinese dancer’s feet twirling around delicate flower petals, the sky blue of a slum wall behind the brilliant fuchsia of a food vendor’s cart, or the rain-soaked tea plantations carpeting the side of a perilous volcano. Through this collection of photographs, I hope to share Indonesia’s vitality and the simple allure of this breathtaking country.
Now on to the reality.
Seven years. Seven breathtaking, phenomenal, life-changing years.
That’s how long I lived on the island of Java, Indonesia. It was quite possibly the farthest place I could have chosen from my ‘home’ of Michigan, in the States. What am I doing here? Perhaps we should rephrase that. What am I not doing here?
I spent seven (not that’s not a typo) years achieving a degree in Engineering / Industrial Design / and Fine Arts. I ’should’ be working in that field I suppose, designing cars and making loads of cash. Instead I’ve opted for traveling. Far. I’ve been here ever since. I consider the time spent here my second education, and in many ways, more important than the first.
My most active project with flickr has been the creation of FlickrSocial. The group I find the most inspiration from, has to be Utata.
I have a blog, if you'd like to hear the rest of the story, please take a look!
Prints are available here.
Find me on facebook.
My space on myspace.
I shoot digital after a brief, yet passionate affair with film, red lamps, and chemical highs - the ‘real’ darkroom. I love the ability to view my work immediately, and in a place like Indonesia, digital is your friend.
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8II
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 420EX
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Crumpler Six Million Dollar bag
*Previously used Canon 300D and 350D
My Digital Darkroom consists of the following:
17″ Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM / 500GB
15″ Macbook Pro 2.16Ggzh 3GB RAM / 160GB
13″ MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM
5+TB of external drives
Adobe Photoshop CS3 / CS4
Email: thejavajive [at] gmail [dot] com
Photos of javajive (1)
- Canon EOS 6D - Official Group 92,426 photos, 6,866 members
- Fuji X Mount Cameras with alt and legacy lenses 6,423 photos, 482 members
- FUJIFILM X STREET PHOTOGRAPHY 30,211 photos, 1,419 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 123,271 photos, 6,140 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 81,161 photos, 3,859 members
- Fuji X-E1 25,296 photos, 1,107 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 94,670 photos, 5,919 members
- Hipstamatic 300,362 photos, 16,661 members
- MAGIC PRIME (Canon EF 135 f/2.0 L) 15,324 photos, 1,301 members
- flickristasindios 98,736 photos, 2,901 members
- canon photography 3,392,207 photos, 68,545 members
- Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell 9,978 photos, 9,147 members
- "Philippine Photographic Society" 66,849 photos, 1,617 members
- Pinoy Photojournalist 7,126 photos, 1,073 members
- "Only in the Philippines!" 62,764 photos, 2,718 members
- Philippines Images 56,758 photos, 3,302 members
- Philippines 151,568 photos, 7,813 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 633,731 photos, 23,894 members
- Cover Models 3,185 photos, 645 members
- Candid & Street Photography 959,292 photos, 24,984 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 517,366 photos, 33,090 members
- bokeh 195,152 photos, 41,296 members
- * Bokeh & Short DOF (No Macros - Please Read The Guidelines) 16,087 photos, 2,030 members
- Best of Indonesia Photos 25,136 photos, 3,046 members
- Aperture Users 322,147 photos, 11,604 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 152,041 photos, 8,745 members
- Darkest Dreaming 5,006 photos, 777 members
- Digital Black and White (2 per day: no nudity: no colour) 99,985 photos, 6,916 members
- Lowlight Gallery 27,683 photos, 1,758 members
- prime lenses (fixed focal length) 258,494 photos, 7,584 members
- Photoshop Support Group 225,942 photos, 33,242 members
- Shoot Wide Open 70,501 photos, 3,282 members
- Wedding Photography 224,053 photos, 46,204 members
- Canon prime lens club 55,433 photos, 5,403 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,864 photos, 59,496 members
- Award Flickr Best 18,775 photos, 2,328 members
- Volcanoes 29,121 photos, 4,200 members
- Beautiful Bali... 4,301 photos, 1,384 members
- bokeh whores 253,469 photos, 11,772 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,031,296 photos, 61,075 members
- Platinum Photography Group ~ High Quality~Queue -P1/C3 253,696 photos, 31,563 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 130,764 photos, 5,363 members
- National Geographic Faces of the World 38,579 photos, 2,480 members
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM 50,228 photos, 5,671 members
- Global Spirit ==>Sacred Images Only! (post 1, comment 1 please) 4,726 photos, 570 members
- Experimentation 136,553 photos, 10,943 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 113,461 photos, 14,056 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 488,755 photos, 29,156 members
- MY Winners Closing, now post to BLINK P1/A2 985,910 photos, 86,441 members
- Cambodia Images 75,343 photos, 5,149 members
"I am indonesian,..I love all your pics about my country.
24th May, 2007
Franc Le Blanc . says:
"It 's always a pleasure to browse your photocollection .I do this very often because you have so beautiful pictures.You surprise me every time with your remarkable collection. I feel the large and small things in life."
24th September, 2006
"I've not heard from Brandon for a bit but I contiune to follow his fantastic photographs that allow me a unique glimpse into the lives going on around him."
9th June, 2005
"Its hard to say what first attracted me to his photo stream. Every picture is unique,and beautiful. What I love about his photography is the essence of life it brings. The thoughts and questions they leave behind are just a bonus.
6th February, 2005
"Brandon is one of the finest photographers on Flickr. period.
Whether his stunningly beautiful 'better half', the powerfully poignant temple at Borobudur, or everyday street life in Yogyakarta - his photography goes deeper than the technical mastery of taking a great shot to the revelation of his subject's inner dignity, energy, and beauty. That is the power of a true artist and a sincere human being."
27th December, 2004
- Brandon Hoover
- October 2004
- Jakarta, Indonesia (formerly Michigan)
- Manila, Philippines
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Technology Integration Specialist - Trained as an Industrial Designer
- j a v a j i v e