Short version: American expat living in Manila, Philippines after 7 years in Java, Indonesia. Photographer, “Technology Integration Specialist”, trained as an Engineer/ Designer, traveler.
Long version: Keep reading…
Indonesia has been my home for many years. It is a land of exquisite beauty, exotic cultures, and fascinating people, all of which have been a continual source of inspiration for my photography.
During my time here, I have seen the magnificence of destruction, the hope of rebuilding, and an astounding resilience which is a testament to the Indonesian people’s vitality and perseverance. My journeys often take me into areas of absolute poverty, yet smiles abound. Vibrant colors saturate the landscape, and unimaginable splendor is found in the most unexpected of places.
My photographs tend to explore the juxtaposition of the mundane and the exotic and seek the essence of what makes something beautiful. This may take the form of a graceful Balinese dancer’s feet twirling around delicate flower petals, the sky blue of a slum wall behind the brilliant fuchsia of a food vendor’s cart, or the rain-soaked tea plantations carpeting the side of a perilous volcano. Through this collection of photographs, I hope to share Indonesia’s vitality and the simple allure of this breathtaking country.
Now on to the reality.
Seven years. Seven breathtaking, phenomenal, life-changing years.
That’s how long I lived on the island of Java, Indonesia. It was quite possibly the farthest place I could have chosen from my ‘home’ of Michigan, in the States. What am I doing here? Perhaps we should rephrase that. What am I not doing here?
I spent seven (not that’s not a typo) years achieving a degree in Engineering / Industrial Design / and Fine Arts. I ’should’ be working in that field I suppose, designing cars and making loads of cash. Instead I’ve opted for traveling. Far. I’ve been here ever since. I consider the time spent here my second education, and in many ways, more important than the first.
My most active project with flickr has been the creation of FlickrSocial. The group I find the most inspiration from, has to be Utata.
I have a blog, if you'd like to hear the rest of the story, please take a look!
Prints are available here.
Find me on facebook.
My space on myspace.
I shoot digital after a brief, yet passionate affair with film, red lamps, and chemical highs - the ‘real’ darkroom. I love the ability to view my work immediately, and in a place like Indonesia, digital is your friend.
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8II
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 420EX
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Crumpler Six Million Dollar bag
*Previously used Canon 300D and 350D
My Digital Darkroom consists of the following:
17″ Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM / 500GB
15″ Macbook Pro 2.16Ggzh 3GB RAM / 160GB
13″ MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM
5+TB of external drives
Adobe Photoshop CS3 / CS4
Email: thejavajive [at] gmail [dot] com
Photos of javajive (1)
- Canon EOS 6D - Official Group 388,023 photos, 12,925 members
- Fuji X Mount Cameras with alt and legacy lenses 18,947 photos, 1,103 members
- FUJIFILM X Street Photography 143,539 photos, 5,134 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 244,097 photos, 8,436 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 197,091 photos, 5,994 members
- Fuji X-E1 56,751 photos, 1,787 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 124,925 photos, 6,604 members
- Hipstamatic 325,479 photos, 16,719 members
- MAGIC PRIME (Canon EF 135 f/2.0 L) 20,027 photos, 1,535 members
- flickristasindios 100,544 photos, 2,816 members
- canon photography 5,582,154 photos, 102,178 members
- Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell 10,525 photos, 11,334 members
- "Philippine Photographic Society" 72,901 photos, 1,591 members
- Pinoy Photojournalist 6,912 photos, 1,114 members
- "Only in the Philippines!" 75,519 photos, 2,933 members
- Philippines Images 76,538 photos, 3,974 members
- Philippines 162,059 photos, 8,295 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 870,708 photos, 27,086 members
- Cover Models 3,090 photos, 623 members
- Street Photography 753,944 photos, 29,955 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 760,816 photos, 42,916 members
- bokeh 207,335 photos, 61,709 members
- * Bokeh & Short DOF (No Macros - Please Read The Guidelines) 23,521 photos, 2,502 members
- Best of Indonesia Photos 35,426 photos, 4,065 members
- Aperture Users 427,931 photos, 12,071 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 202,351 photos, 10,250 members
- Darkest Dreaming 4,998 photos, 780 members
- Digital Black and White (2 per day: no nudity: no colour) 158,681 photos, 8,836 members
- Lowlight Gallery 36,412 photos, 2,099 members
- prime lenses (fixed focal length) 422,028 photos, 10,259 members
- Photoshop Support Group 309,123 photos, 35,221 members
- Shoot Wide Open 91,896 photos, 3,692 members
- Wedding Photography 254,917 photos, 51,810 members
- Canon prime lens club 83,555 photos, 7,100 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,086 photos, 76,517 members
- Award Flickr Best 17,255 photos, 2,650 members
- Volcanoes 39,379 photos, 5,061 members
- Beautiful Bali... 5,926 photos, 1,571 members
- bokeh whores 337,767 photos, 13,653 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,364,805 photos, 72,812 members
- Platinum Photography Group ~ "Quality Photography" 293,524 photos, 32,662 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 172,048 photos, 5,776 members
- National Geographic Faces of the World 73,541 photos, 3,124 members
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM 58,100 photos, 6,515 members
- Global Spirit ==>Sacred Images Only! (post 1, comment 1 please) 4,753 photos, 577 members
- Experimentation 141,619 photos, 10,981 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 181,123 photos, 14,836 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 562,655 photos, 30,440 members
- Cambodia Images 90,917 photos, 6,071 members
- Angkor Temples 21,211 photos, 1,608 members
Suryani Shinta says:
"I am indonesian,..I love all your pics about my country.
May 24th, 2007
Franc Le Blanc . says:
"It 's always a pleasure to browse your photocollection .I do this very often because you have so beautiful pictures.You surprise me every time with your remarkable collection. I feel the large and small things in life."
September 24th, 2006
"I've not heard from Brandon for a bit but I contiune to follow his fantastic photographs that allow me a unique glimpse into the lives going on around him."
June 9th, 2005
"Its hard to say what first attracted me to his photo stream. Every picture is unique,and beautiful. What I love about his photography is the essence of life it brings. The thoughts and questions they leave behind are just a bonus.
February 6th, 2005
"Brandon is one of the finest photographers on Flickr. period.
Whether his stunningly beautiful 'better half', the powerfully poignant temple at Borobudur, or everyday street life in Yogyakarta - his photography goes deeper than the technical mastery of taking a great shot to the revelation of his subject's inner dignity, energy, and beauty. That is the power of a true artist and a sincere human being."
December 27th, 2004
- Brandon Hoover
- October 2004
- Jakarta, Indonesia (formerly Michigan)
- Manila, Philippines
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Technology Integration Specialist - Trained as an Industrial Designer
- j a v a j i v e