Short version: American expat living in Manila, Philippines after 7 years in Java, Indonesia. Photographer, “Technology Integration Specialist”, trained as an Engineer/ Designer, traveler.
Long version: Keep reading…
Indonesia has been my home for many years. It is a land of exquisite beauty, exotic cultures, and fascinating people, all of which have been a continual source of inspiration for my photography.
During my time here, I have seen the magnificence of destruction, the hope of rebuilding, and an astounding resilience which is a testament to the Indonesian people’s vitality and perseverance. My journeys often take me into areas of absolute poverty, yet smiles abound. Vibrant colors saturate the landscape, and unimaginable splendor is found in the most unexpected of places.
My photographs tend to explore the juxtaposition of the mundane and the exotic and seek the essence of what makes something beautiful. This may take the form of a graceful Balinese dancer’s feet twirling around delicate flower petals, the sky blue of a slum wall behind the brilliant fuchsia of a food vendor’s cart, or the rain-soaked tea plantations carpeting the side of a perilous volcano. Through this collection of photographs, I hope to share Indonesia’s vitality and the simple allure of this breathtaking country.
Now on to the reality.
Seven years. Seven breathtaking, phenomenal, life-changing years.
That’s how long I lived on the island of Java, Indonesia. It was quite possibly the farthest place I could have chosen from my ‘home’ of Michigan, in the States. What am I doing here? Perhaps we should rephrase that. What am I not doing here?
I spent seven (not that’s not a typo) years achieving a degree in Engineering / Industrial Design / and Fine Arts. I ’should’ be working in that field I suppose, designing cars and making loads of cash. Instead I’ve opted for traveling. Far. I’ve been here ever since. I consider the time spent here my second education, and in many ways, more important than the first.
My most active project with flickr has been the creation of FlickrSocial. The group I find the most inspiration from, has to be Utata.
I have a blog, if you'd like to hear the rest of the story, please take a look!
Prints are available here.
Find me on facebook.
My space on myspace.
I shoot digital after a brief, yet passionate affair with film, red lamps, and chemical highs - the ‘real’ darkroom. I love the ability to view my work immediately, and in a place like Indonesia, digital is your friend.
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8II
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 420EX
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Crumpler Six Million Dollar bag
*Previously used Canon 300D and 350D
My Digital Darkroom consists of the following:
17″ Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM / 500GB
15″ Macbook Pro 2.16Ggzh 3GB RAM / 160GB
13″ MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM
5+TB of external drives
Adobe Photoshop CS3 / CS4
Email: thejavajive [at] gmail [dot] com
Photos of javajive (1)
- Canon EOS 6D - Official Group 282,801 photos, 11,553 members
- Fuji X Mount Cameras with alt and legacy lenses 13,640 photos, 874 members
- FUJIFILM X Street Photography 94,052 photos, 3,817 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 207,838 photos, 7,893 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 163,206 photos, 5,589 members
- Fuji X-E1 46,774 photos, 1,640 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 116,200 photos, 6,549 members
- Hipstamatic 321,307 photos, 16,791 members
- MAGIC PRIME (Canon EF 135 f/2.0 L) 18,434 photos, 1,465 members
- flickristasindios 100,062 photos, 2,861 members
- canon photography 4,664,738 photos, 91,116 members
- Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell 10,381 photos, 10,804 members
- "Philippine Photographic Society" 70,218 photos, 1,599 members
- Pinoy Photojournalist 6,961 photos, 1,103 members
- "Only in the Philippines!" 69,883 photos, 2,871 members
- Philippines Images 70,484 photos, 3,885 members
- Philippines 158,359 photos, 8,135 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 797,119 photos, 26,182 members
- Cover Models 3,061 photos, 631 members
- Street Photography Group 764,312 photos, 28,950 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 670,000 photos, 39,779 members
- bokeh 204,284 photos, 55,477 members
- * Bokeh & Short DOF (No Macros - Please Read The Guidelines) 20,656 photos, 2,323 members
- Best of Indonesia Photos 31,085 photos, 3,755 members
- Aperture Users 398,959 photos, 12,037 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 187,638 photos, 9,782 members
- Darkest Dreaming 5,006 photos, 779 members
- Digital Black and White (2 per day: no nudity: no colour) 129,048 photos, 8,060 members
- Lowlight Gallery 32,750 photos, 1,983 members
- prime lenses (fixed focal length) 362,191 photos, 9,530 members
- Photoshop Support Group 277,890 photos, 34,617 members
- Shoot Wide Open 85,862 photos, 3,605 members
- Wedding Photography 245,913 photos, 50,214 members
- Canon prime lens club 72,967 photos, 6,473 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,937 photos, 70,898 members
- Award Flickr Best 17,900 photos, 2,635 members
- Volcanoes 34,708 photos, 4,816 members
- Beautiful Bali... 5,365 photos, 1,500 members
- bokeh whores 308,170 photos, 13,110 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,259,668 photos, 69,394 members
- Platinum Photography Group ~ "High Quality" Post 1 Award 3 271,891 photos, 32,217 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 158,666 photos, 5,591 members
- National Geographic Faces of the World 54,613 photos, 2,931 members
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM 55,596 photos, 6,287 members
- Global Spirit ==>Sacred Images Only! (post 1, comment 1 please) 4,764 photos, 578 members
- Experimentation 138,752 photos, 10,964 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 151,549 photos, 14,564 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 529,120 photos, 30,001 members
- Cambodia Images 85,506 photos, 5,801 members
- Angkor Temples 20,086 photos, 1,511 members
"I am indonesian,..I love all your pics about my country.
May 24th, 2007
Franc Le Blanc . says:
"It 's always a pleasure to browse your photocollection .I do this very often because you have so beautiful pictures.You surprise me every time with your remarkable collection. I feel the large and small things in life."
September 24th, 2006
"I've not heard from Brandon for a bit but I contiune to follow his fantastic photographs that allow me a unique glimpse into the lives going on around him."
June 9th, 2005
"Its hard to say what first attracted me to his photo stream. Every picture is unique,and beautiful. What I love about his photography is the essence of life it brings. The thoughts and questions they leave behind are just a bonus.
February 6th, 2005
"Brandon is one of the finest photographers on Flickr. period.
Whether his stunningly beautiful 'better half', the powerfully poignant temple at Borobudur, or everyday street life in Yogyakarta - his photography goes deeper than the technical mastery of taking a great shot to the revelation of his subject's inner dignity, energy, and beauty. That is the power of a true artist and a sincere human being."
December 27th, 2004
- Brandon Hoover
- October 2004
- Jakarta, Indonesia (formerly Michigan)
- Manila, Philippines
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Technology Integration Specialist - Trained as an Industrial Designer
- j a v a j i v e