Short version: American expat living in Manila, Philippines after 7 years in Java, Indonesia. Photographer, “Technology Integration Specialist”, trained as an Engineer/ Designer, traveler.
Long version: Keep reading…
Indonesia has been my home for many years. It is a land of exquisite beauty, exotic cultures, and fascinating people, all of which have been a continual source of inspiration for my photography.
During my time here, I have seen the magnificence of destruction, the hope of rebuilding, and an astounding resilience which is a testament to the Indonesian people’s vitality and perseverance. My journeys often take me into areas of absolute poverty, yet smiles abound. Vibrant colors saturate the landscape, and unimaginable splendor is found in the most unexpected of places.
My photographs tend to explore the juxtaposition of the mundane and the exotic and seek the essence of what makes something beautiful. This may take the form of a graceful Balinese dancer’s feet twirling around delicate flower petals, the sky blue of a slum wall behind the brilliant fuchsia of a food vendor’s cart, or the rain-soaked tea plantations carpeting the side of a perilous volcano. Through this collection of photographs, I hope to share Indonesia’s vitality and the simple allure of this breathtaking country.
Now on to the reality.
Seven years. Seven breathtaking, phenomenal, life-changing years.
That’s how long I lived on the island of Java, Indonesia. It was quite possibly the farthest place I could have chosen from my ‘home’ of Michigan, in the States. What am I doing here? Perhaps we should rephrase that. What am I not doing here?
I spent seven (not that’s not a typo) years achieving a degree in Engineering / Industrial Design / and Fine Arts. I ’should’ be working in that field I suppose, designing cars and making loads of cash. Instead I’ve opted for traveling. Far. I’ve been here ever since. I consider the time spent here my second education, and in many ways, more important than the first.
My most active project with flickr has been the creation of FlickrSocial. The group I find the most inspiration from, has to be Utata.
I have a blog, if you'd like to hear the rest of the story, please take a look!
Prints are available here.
Find me on facebook.
My space on myspace.
I shoot digital after a brief, yet passionate affair with film, red lamps, and chemical highs - the ‘real’ darkroom. I love the ability to view my work immediately, and in a place like Indonesia, digital is your friend.
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon 35mm f/1.4L
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 50mm f/1.8II
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 420EX
Manfrotto Tripod and Ballhead
Crumpler Karachi Outpost
Crumpler Six Million Dollar bag
*Previously used Canon 300D and 350D
My Digital Darkroom consists of the following:
17″ Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz 4GB RAM / 500GB
15″ Macbook Pro 2.16Ggzh 3GB RAM / 160GB
13″ MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM
5+TB of external drives
Adobe Photoshop CS3 / CS4
Email: thejavajive [at] gmail [dot] com
Photos of javajive (1)
- Canon EOS 6D - Official Group 377,305 photos, 12,814 members
- Fuji X Mount Cameras with alt and legacy lenses 18,413 photos, 1,089 members
- FUJIFILM X Street Photography 138,559 photos, 5,012 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 240,733 photos, 8,389 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 194,462 photos, 5,970 members
- Fuji X-E1 55,752 photos, 1,771 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 124,496 photos, 6,600 members
- Hipstamatic 325,137 photos, 16,748 members
- MAGIC PRIME (Canon EF 135 f/2.0 L) 19,840 photos, 1,532 members
- flickristasindios 100,065 photos, 2,818 members
- canon photography 5,479,848 photos, 101,210 members
- Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell 10,509 photos, 11,317 members
- "Philippine Photographic Society" 72,545 photos, 1,591 members
- Pinoy Photojournalist 6,912 photos, 1,113 members
- "Only in the Philippines!" 72,913 photos, 2,925 members
- Philippines Images 75,859 photos, 3,965 members
- Philippines 161,624 photos, 8,280 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 862,751 photos, 26,998 members
- Cover Models 3,090 photos, 623 members
- Street Photography 754,828 photos, 29,793 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 749,544 photos, 42,499 members
- bokeh 207,608 photos, 61,342 members
- * Bokeh & Short DOF (No Macros - Please Read The Guidelines) 23,202 photos, 2,490 members
- Best of Indonesia Photos 34,931 photos, 4,032 members
- Aperture Users 425,931 photos, 12,085 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 201,183 photos, 10,209 members
- Darkest Dreaming 4,998 photos, 779 members
- Digital Black and White (2 per day: no nudity: no colour) 154,938 photos, 8,768 members
- Lowlight Gallery 36,082 photos, 2,089 members
- prime lenses (fixed focal length) 415,526 photos, 10,186 members
- Photoshop Support Group 305,499 photos, 35,107 members
- Shoot Wide Open 91,151 photos, 3,684 members
- Wedding Photography 254,239 photos, 51,673 members
- Canon prime lens club 82,249 photos, 7,036 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,057 photos, 76,059 members
- Award Flickr Best 17,263 photos, 2,647 members
- Volcanoes 38,926 photos, 5,053 members
- Beautiful Bali... 5,878 photos, 1,566 members
- bokeh whores 332,973 photos, 13,588 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,353,238 photos, 72,390 members
- Platinum Photography Group ~ "Quality Photography" 292,534 photos, 32,612 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 170,091 photos, 5,761 members
- National Geographic Faces of the World 72,513 photos, 3,108 members
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM 57,809 photos, 6,503 members
- Global Spirit ==>Sacred Images Only! (post 1, comment 1 please) 4,757 photos, 577 members
- Experimentation 141,814 photos, 10,985 members
- PASSION PHOTOGRAPHY (COMMENTS PHOTO) 177,852 photos, 14,815 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 559,388 photos, 30,420 members
- Cambodia Images 90,097 photos, 6,038 members
- Angkor Temples 21,045 photos, 1,603 members
Suryani Shinta says:
"I am indonesian,..I love all your pics about my country.
May 24th, 2007
Franc Le Blanc . says:
"It 's always a pleasure to browse your photocollection .I do this very often because you have so beautiful pictures.You surprise me every time with your remarkable collection. I feel the large and small things in life."
September 24th, 2006
"I've not heard from Brandon for a bit but I contiune to follow his fantastic photographs that allow me a unique glimpse into the lives going on around him."
June 9th, 2005
"Its hard to say what first attracted me to his photo stream. Every picture is unique,and beautiful. What I love about his photography is the essence of life it brings. The thoughts and questions they leave behind are just a bonus.
February 6th, 2005
"Brandon is one of the finest photographers on Flickr. period.
Whether his stunningly beautiful 'better half', the powerfully poignant temple at Borobudur, or everyday street life in Yogyakarta - his photography goes deeper than the technical mastery of taking a great shot to the revelation of his subject's inner dignity, energy, and beauty. That is the power of a true artist and a sincere human being."
December 27th, 2004
- Brandon Hoover
- October 2004
- Jakarta, Indonesia (formerly Michigan)
- Manila, Philippines
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Technology Integration Specialist - Trained as an Industrial Designer
- j a v a j i v e