See my latest book.
I was 'into' photography about 30 years ago when my wife bought me a Praktica SLR in a desperate attempt to get me to do something that didn't involve reading a book. (This is the camera used with all my scanned images.) After an early flourish (and after reading lots of books), and after working through the 'everything-has-to-have-a-graduated-filter' stage, the camera started to gather dust. Life took over. The children grew up.
I am now working to live rather than living to work, and the arrival of digital has inspired me to start taking photographs again. I'm still getting to know my cameras (Olympus E500, Olympus Stylus mju 1000, Sony Ericsson Cybershot Phone K800i, Apple iPhones 3G, 4, 5, 6, 7 Plus), but I must admit that the existence of digital images and Photoshop has taken much of the pressure of 'getting it perfect in the camera' away, making shooting much less stressful, and making the creative process extend for ages at home.
I want to create images that have meaning for me, that move or visually excite me in some way. I am not ashamed to admit that some of my images are heavily 'post-processed'. I came across a statement about art recently that can best sum up what I believe I am trying to do when creating a photograph. When written below it may appear more pompous than I intend, but it does seem to say what I think I am trying to do.
"The power of art is the power of the unsettling surprise. Even when it seems imitative, art doesn't so much duplicate the familiarity of the seen world as replace it with a reality of its own. Its mission, beyond the delivery of beauty is the disruption of the banal ... and it generates an alternative kind of vision: a dramatized kind of seeing." (Simon Schama, 2006, THE POWER OF ART, BBC Books).
I think that in my best pictures I am trying to recreate what I felt and imagined, rather than just capture what I saw. Or, as Leo Tolstoy said: ""Art is not a handicraft. It is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."
Mozy is an amazing free system for automatically backing up your files. I use it a lot and can recommend it:
And when not on Flickr, I do occasionally work for a living. See details about my Company and HERE and HERE. You can find out more about me at James Rye.
Photos of James Rye (1)
- Maximal minimalism 35,465 photos, 2,381 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 47,483 photos, 3,370 members
- blackandwhite - the ESSENCE : portraits 10,730 photos, 907 members
- Age is Just a Number 25,544 photos, 2,211 members
- Flowers Group 987,653 photos, 45,459 members
- Images Of Norfolk 17,666 photos, 534 members
- Flowers All Around 3,414 photos, 112 members
- Traces of War 6,793 photos, 297 members
- blackandwhite - the ESSENCE : (VOTING open!) 45,084 photos, 2,090 members
- World Photographer's Award 2,003 photos, 194 members
- Structural Artists 8,348 photos, 1,204 members
- Melbourne Architecture 28,018 photos, 1,512 members
- Victoria, Australia 88,137 photos, 2,045 members
- parrots, parrots, parrots! 22,232 photos, 3,337 members
- Still Britain 28,464 photos, 223 members
- Anglo-Saxon Art 748 photos, 128 members
- Suffolk 53,802 photos, 1,850 members
- Southwold 5,146 photos, 512 members
- IC Collection ~ ICC Artist Exhibitions 764 photos, 173 members
- 1st Photo Ever 3,839 photos, 400 members
- Black and White Liverpool 8,219 photos, 466 members
- Fine-ART photos (Invite only) 36,680 photos, 9,806 members
- Group of unusual photos/ 3 per day/ENJOY :) 68,882 photos, 1,723 members
- -The Cafe- 1,118,424 photos, 26,907 members
- NATURE'S ELEGANT SHOTS [ Invitation Only / Post 1 - Award 4 ] 66,922 photos, 11,524 members
- Peterborough UK 14,067 photos, 433 members
- York 37,261 photos, 2,508 members
- Cambridge (England) - the very best of [CLOSED] 3,804 photos, 252 members
- Cambridge Colour 3,756 photos, 288 members
- Flickr Number One !! 731,279 photos, 12,826 members
- Creative Photo Group_ BASIC (P1-C3) 583,839 photos, 30,661 members
- Liverbirds 1,263 photos, 173 members
- Architecture & Buildings / JUST MODERN (P2 / C2) Sweeper is ON 48,748 photos, 2,981 members
- *Fat Bee & Dancing Gull* (Invite Only) 7,597 photos, 1,591 members
- Liverpool 101,220 photos, 4,024 members
- Accent is beautiful! 3,319 photos, 342 members
- British Photographers 465,658 photos, 5,084 members
- !Group Tripod (post1~comment4) 413,229 photos, 15,976 members
- A Sense of Time...... 164 photos, 24 members
- Avant-Garden 22,238 photos, 2,341 members
- 100 + Viewed Best Architecture Photos (add 1, award 1) 42,331 photos, 1,741 members
- " Art of the Light " ☆☆☆☆☆ 114,564 photos, 12,220 members
- Museo Nazionale del Bargello 228 photos, 26 members
- FLOWER-POWER 378,469 photos, 19,418 members
- Natures Finest (Invited Images Only) 329,504 photos, 40,029 members
- Faces Of the World-Facce a pezzi 15,092 photos, 1,064 members
- Italian Flickr World 216,871 photos, 6,973 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 1,356,841 photos, 61,164 members
- Candles for Tibet 820 photos, 1,606 members
- Firenze / Florence 33,418 photos, 3,420 members
"James introduced me to flickr one year ago. He is a wonderful person and a brilliant photographer. He has helped and encouraged me and other fellow photographers with his passion and excellent vision. His work is vibrant, different and says something about the world he is capturing. Exploration and new ideas are part of his portfolio and he will embrace any subject with confidence and style. And if that wasn't enough, he is a talented and published writer. Take a look at his blog link on here, he writes superbly about things that matter.
A great photographer and a great guy!"
January 16th, 2008
- James Rye
- July 2006
- King's Lynn, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- My latest book.