I do not photograph because I see. I see because I photograph.
I was tired and burnt out during my last year of college. I found I gain much strength, energy, and balance in my life when I spent time outdoors communicating with nature. While outside, I wanted to capture my feelings and preserve memories, so I picked up a camera, and found something that I always felt was missing in my life – a creative outlet and a way to express myself in ways other than using words. All of a sudden there was a World out there I have never noticed, shapes I overlooked, a powerful Universe I never took time to explore and understand. I realized I am just begin to see to see and understand this beautiful planet and its inhabitants. Once I bought my first camera, I could not put it down.
My favorite subjects are nature, architecture and people.
After spending the first 20 years of my life in Moscow, Russia, 2 years in England and four years in Utah, I decided to settle in San Francisco Bay Area, where I now reside.
I use Nikon cameras and lenses.
FYI - I use Flickr more like a journal. Since I work on several projects at the same time, the postings at times may look random. But this is how I shoot and think. Visiting my sets may make more sense.
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,036 photos, 75,830 members
- Leica M photography 293,531 photos, 8,982 members
- Leica M/M-P/M-D (Type 240/262) 73,973 photos, 2,261 members
- SmugMugs 5 photos, 3 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 276,539 photos, 5,642 members
- Photo Talk Plus 1,545 photos, 332 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 124,264 photos, 6,605 members
- Fuji X100 174,569 photos, 9,950 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,133 photos, 22,033 members
- LEE Filters 64,974 photos, 5,028 members
- Albany Bulb Scott Kelby Photowalk 282 photos, 24 members
- Monochromatic Visions 24,462 photos, 2,665 members
- Official LDS Church Call for Photos 3,512 photos, 608 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,312 members
- 2010 Amgen Tour of California 583 photos, 98 members
- Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Lens 1,251 photos, 808 members
- Michael Frye's Photo Critique Series 7,310 photos, 691 members
- yosemite 43,320 photos, 6,258 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 318,441 photos, 16,378 members
- Long Exposure 790,227 photos, 64,939 members
- Pioneer Woman Photography Assignments 183,841 photos, 57,410 members
- The Darkroom™ - SBG's Style Challenge #1 - Panning Motion 13 photos, 105 members
- Photo Madness: 2015 anyone? 408 photos, 326 members
- Northern California Photographers 96,407 photos, 2,233 members
- Nikon D300 Users 573,450 photos, 17,433 members
- 400+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 4,364 photos, 1,000 members
- 300+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 8,541 photos, 1,479 members
- Big Sur, California 12,346 photos, 1,802 members
- Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO 29,448 photos, 2,105 members
- Pacific Seascapes 5,795 photos, 552 members
- Elemental Photography 1,981 photos, 229 members
- Images with Filters 18,015 photos, 1,340 members
- Northern California Photography 185,604 photos, 5,223 members
- 50+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two). 43,681 photos, 7,611 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 2,673 photos, 876 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 24,923 photos, 6,214 members
- 10+ Faves (10-24): P1, aw & fav 2 on the 1 newest pages 17,898 photos, 7,063 members
- California Photographer 32,070 photos, 1,884 members
- San Francisco 273,041 photos, 15,615 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,010 photos, 18,473 members
- DMU Save10 Book - Volume 2 55 photos, 39 members
- Utata 456,942 photos, 27,367 members
- The World Through My Eyes - TGIF *OPEN* 4,240,454 photos, 115,707 members
- The Non-secret DMU2 Reunification Discussion Group 5 photos, 25 members
- Ansel 125 photos, 200 members
- San Jose Sharks 3,015 photos, 355 members
- Mare Island Nocturnes 960 photos, 143 members
- F64 Challenge - G78 R4 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED 5,992 photos, 1,097 members
- 52 Weeks of Someone You Love 655 photos, 63 members
- The Nature Conservancy 1,023,352 photos, 41,227 members
G Dan Mitchell says:
"Ivan is a serious, thoughtful, creative, and all around fine photographer. He has a good sense of what he is working to accomplish. I've had the good fortune to photograph with Ivan on at least one occasion, and I always look forward to his photographic work and his thinking and observations on photography."
January 26th, 2010
Thomas Hawk says:
"Ivan is a serious and accomplished photographer. One of Flickr's best. More than this though, Ivan is a dedicated community member and someone I'm happy to call a friend. He is extremely focused on his work and on his role as a leader in the Bay Area photographic community. He's a great father and a good friend. I'm glad to have the opportunity to shoot regularly with him around town and to watch the great work that he does both with a camera and without a camera."
September 28th, 2009
"Ivan is da man. Check his stream, you will see. I don't need to lead you there..."
September 7th, 2009
"Ivan's land and seascapes never fail to inspire. His eye for geometry in architechture is admirable but it's his genuine desire to share what he knows with those who would listen that sets him
September 6th, 2009
"Ivan is the pespective master. Every single one of his shots is a lesson in 3 dimensional composition. And he finds interesting subjects too. A photographer whose work I follow eagerly."
September 5th, 2009
No longer the boy says:
"Ivan is a superb photographer. His shots are clean, refined, sophisticated without being overly cluttered. His B&W works reveal a brilliant eye for contrast and for the mundane that his photos can elevate to art."
September 5th, 2009
"Ivan used to shoot a lot of Rocks and Waves along the California shoreline. And he shot them extremely well. I used to give Ivan a lot of grief for all those "dreamy shoreline" shots, because I could see he had a sharp eye for photography and knew he could do so much more. Nowadays, Ivan's been brining a wide range of great shots to DMU and elsewhere, and with a lot of huge applause."
August 21st, 2009
"Ivan's photographs are always amazing. I'm always happy when I see a new shot in my contacts list."
July 25th, 2008
eden's lane says:
"Ivan's photo's are nothing short of AMAZING and INSPIRING!"
May 6th, 2008
"Ivan was one of my first contacts a year ago when I got my d40.. his Utah's landscape photos were of inspiration to me on my learning process.. a digital camera was something new to me, and you helped me a lot understanding some processes back on the d40 club (remember that time?). I've followed his great evolution on photography (among other stuff, like studies, family).
One of my favorite flickr photos is Ivan's www.flickr.com/ph... , I can call this one a perfect photo. For the future, I'll follow your "light technique", and I hope your baby boy will grow as healthy as my baby girl.
obs: my father inlaw has a civic ;)"
March 3rd, 2008
"Ivan takes some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever scene, his landscapes rival many of the greats, his portraits of his son are beautiful, and it seems as though every thing he does is amazing.
I look forward to seeing his work everyday, which is something I can say about very few artists. If there is one thing I am thankful for on flickr it is Ivan."
October 16th, 2007
"For only having his Nikon D40 for the last four months, IvanoMak is an amazing and talented photographer! His forte is landscape in B&W, but he is continually progressing in his HDR shots as well.
It's hard to believe that someone with such little experience can be featured on a major state news channel, KSL, for his infamous “Dead Horse Point” shot, which also received over 8000 views via the Flickr community.
I strongly recommend viewing Ivan’s work and I hope you become inspired as much as I have been due to his simple yet surreal shots."
April 8th, 2007
"I'd have to agree with Chris. IvanoMak has always gone the distance to help others. He's one of the few that I can actually call a great Flickr friend. We Flickr-mail each other about every other day to talk about our next projects, what new toys we can get for our cameras, and so forth.
If you've never seen his work STOP reading this, and go check it out! He's one of the few I've seen her on Flicker, that just keeps getting better, and better.
Keep up the GREAT work Ivan.^^"
March 26th, 2007
"Ivan is one of the coolest guys on Flickr, he's always ready to offer his help and advice no matter what your question may be.
Having kept a close eye on his photostream for the past few months I can safely say he has a real talent.
I urge you to check out his excellent photos now!"
March 21st, 2007
- Ivan M.
- December 2006
- Moscow, Russia
- California, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- I-M Photography