I do not photograph because I see. I see because I photograph.
I was tired and burnt out during my last year of college. I found I gain much strength, energy, and balance in my life when I spent time outdoors communicating with nature. While outside, I wanted to capture my feelings and preserve memories, so I picked up a camera, and found something that I always felt was missing in my life – a creative outlet and a way to express myself in ways other than using words. All of a sudden there was a World out there I have never noticed, shapes I overlooked, a powerful Universe I never took time to explore and understand. I realized I am just begin to see to see and understand this beautiful planet and its inhabitants. Once I bought my first camera, I could not put it down.
My favorite subjects are nature, architecture and people.
After spending the first 20 years of my life in Moscow, Russia, 2 years in England and four years in Utah, I decided to settle in San Francisco Bay Area, where I now reside.
I use Nikon cameras and lenses.
FYI - I use Flickr more like a journal. Since I work on several projects at the same time, the postings at times may look random. But this is how I shoot and think. Visiting my sets may make more sense.
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,090 photos, 76,554 members
- Leica M photography 302,765 photos, 9,208 members
- Leica M/M-P/M-D (Type 240/262) 77,638 photos, 2,319 members
- SmugMugs 5 photos, 3 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 278,677 photos, 5,648 members
- Photo Talk Plus 1,576 photos, 331 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 124,992 photos, 6,605 members
- Fuji X100 176,501 photos, 9,991 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,103 photos, 21,982 members
- LEE Filters 67,648 photos, 5,126 members
- Albany Bulb Scott Kelby Photowalk 282 photos, 25 members
- Monochromatic Visions 24,454 photos, 2,659 members
- Official LDS Church Call for Photos 3,513 photos, 608 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,301 members
- 2010 Amgen Tour of California 583 photos, 98 members
- Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Lens 1,247 photos, 807 members
- Michael Frye's Photo Critique Series 7,432 photos, 694 members
- yosemite 43,750 photos, 6,328 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 320,860 photos, 16,439 members
- Long Exposure 803,467 photos, 65,512 members
- Pioneer Woman Photography Assignments 184,005 photos, 57,377 members
- The Darkroom™ - SBG's Style Challenge #1 - Panning Motion 13 photos, 105 members
- Photo Madness: 2015 anyone? 407 photos, 325 members
- Northern California Photographers 98,056 photos, 2,241 members
- Nikon D300 Users 575,187 photos, 17,436 members
- 400+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 4,991 photos, 1,046 members
- 300+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 9,775 photos, 1,539 members
- Big Sur, California 12,437 photos, 1,822 members
- Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO 29,631 photos, 2,115 members
- Pacific Seascapes 5,897 photos, 553 members
- Elemental Photography 2,050 photos, 233 members
- Images with Filters 18,714 photos, 1,349 members
- Northern California Photography 188,873 photos, 5,263 members
- 50+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two). 46,306 photos, 7,742 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 3,146 photos, 910 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 26,399 photos, 6,255 members
- 10+ Faves (10-24): P1, aw & fav 2 on the 1 newest pages 18,951 photos, 7,109 members
- California Photographer 32,082 photos, 1,942 members
- San Francisco 274,802 photos, 15,639 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 14,985 photos, 18,436 members
- DMU Save10 Book - Volume 2 55 photos, 39 members
- Utata 458,674 photos, 27,525 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Mondays *OPEN* 4,299,424 photos, 116,616 members
- The Non-secret DMU2 Reunification Discussion Group 5 photos, 25 members
- Ansel 125 photos, 201 members
- San Jose Sharks 3,023 photos, 354 members
- Mare Island Nocturnes 960 photos, 143 members
- F64 Challenge - G80 - BEST OF 2016 Coming Soon ! 6,055 photos, 1,105 members
- 52 Weeks of Someone You Love 655 photos, 63 members
- The Nature Conservancy 1,056,478 photos, 41,440 members
G Dan Mitchell says:
"Ivan is a serious, thoughtful, creative, and all around fine photographer. He has a good sense of what he is working to accomplish. I've had the good fortune to photograph with Ivan on at least one occasion, and I always look forward to his photographic work and his thinking and observations on photography."
January 26th, 2010
Thomas Hawk says:
"Ivan is a serious and accomplished photographer. One of Flickr's best. More than this though, Ivan is a dedicated community member and someone I'm happy to call a friend. He is extremely focused on his work and on his role as a leader in the Bay Area photographic community. He's a great father and a good friend. I'm glad to have the opportunity to shoot regularly with him around town and to watch the great work that he does both with a camera and without a camera."
September 28th, 2009
"Ivan is da man. Check his stream, you will see. I don't need to lead you there..."
September 7th, 2009
"Ivan's land and seascapes never fail to inspire. His eye for geometry in architechture is admirable but it's his genuine desire to share what he knows with those who would listen that sets him
September 6th, 2009
"Ivan is the pespective master. Every single one of his shots is a lesson in 3 dimensional composition. And he finds interesting subjects too. A photographer whose work I follow eagerly."
September 5th, 2009
No longer the boy says:
"Ivan is a superb photographer. His shots are clean, refined, sophisticated without being overly cluttered. His B&W works reveal a brilliant eye for contrast and for the mundane that his photos can elevate to art."
September 5th, 2009
"Ivan used to shoot a lot of Rocks and Waves along the California shoreline. And he shot them extremely well. I used to give Ivan a lot of grief for all those "dreamy shoreline" shots, because I could see he had a sharp eye for photography and knew he could do so much more. Nowadays, Ivan's been brining a wide range of great shots to DMU and elsewhere, and with a lot of huge applause."
August 21st, 2009
"Ivan's photographs are always amazing. I'm always happy when I see a new shot in my contacts list."
July 25th, 2008
eden's lane says:
"Ivan's photo's are nothing short of AMAZING and INSPIRING!"
May 6th, 2008
"Ivan was one of my first contacts a year ago when I got my d40.. his Utah's landscape photos were of inspiration to me on my learning process.. a digital camera was something new to me, and you helped me a lot understanding some processes back on the d40 club (remember that time?). I've followed his great evolution on photography (among other stuff, like studies, family).
One of my favorite flickr photos is Ivan's www.flickr.com/ph... , I can call this one a perfect photo. For the future, I'll follow your "light technique", and I hope your baby boy will grow as healthy as my baby girl.
obs: my father inlaw has a civic ;)"
March 3rd, 2008
"Ivan takes some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever scene, his landscapes rival many of the greats, his portraits of his son are beautiful, and it seems as though every thing he does is amazing.
I look forward to seeing his work everyday, which is something I can say about very few artists. If there is one thing I am thankful for on flickr it is Ivan."
October 16th, 2007
"For only having his Nikon D40 for the last four months, IvanoMak is an amazing and talented photographer! His forte is landscape in B&W, but he is continually progressing in his HDR shots as well.
It's hard to believe that someone with such little experience can be featured on a major state news channel, KSL, for his infamous “Dead Horse Point” shot, which also received over 8000 views via the Flickr community.
I strongly recommend viewing Ivan’s work and I hope you become inspired as much as I have been due to his simple yet surreal shots."
April 8th, 2007
"I'd have to agree with Chris. IvanoMak has always gone the distance to help others. He's one of the few that I can actually call a great Flickr friend. We Flickr-mail each other about every other day to talk about our next projects, what new toys we can get for our cameras, and so forth.
If you've never seen his work STOP reading this, and go check it out! He's one of the few I've seen her on Flicker, that just keeps getting better, and better.
Keep up the GREAT work Ivan.^^"
March 26th, 2007
"Ivan is one of the coolest guys on Flickr, he's always ready to offer his help and advice no matter what your question may be.
Having kept a close eye on his photostream for the past few months I can safely say he has a real talent.
I urge you to check out his excellent photos now!"
March 21st, 2007
- Ivan M.
- December 2006
- Moscow, Russia
- California, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- I-M Photography