I do not photograph because I see. I see because I photograph.
I was tired and burnt out during my last year of college. I found I gain much strength, energy, and balance in my life when I spent time outdoors communicating with nature. While outside, I wanted to capture my feelings and preserve memories, so I picked up a camera, and found something that I always felt was missing in my life – a creative outlet and a way to express myself in ways other than using words. All of a sudden there was a World out there I have never noticed, shapes I overlooked, a powerful Universe I never took time to explore and understand. I realized I am just begin to see to see and understand this beautiful planet and its inhabitants. Once I bought my first camera, I could not put it down.
My favorite subjects are nature, architecture and people.
After spending the first 20 years of my life in Moscow, Russia, 2 years in England and four years in Utah, I decided to settle in San Francisco Bay Area, where I now reside.
I use Nikon cameras and lenses.
FYI - I use Flickr more like a journal. Since I work on several projects at the same time, the postings at times may look random. But this is how I shoot and think. Visiting my sets may make more sense.
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,880 photos, 64,724 members
- Leica M photography 208,931 photos, 6,917 members
- Leica M/M-P (Type 240) 33,619 photos, 1,455 members
- SmugMugs 3 photos, 2 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 255,738 photos, 5,446 members
- Photo Talk Plus 1,166 photos, 341 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 108,663 photos, 6,405 members
- Fuji X100 149,119 photos, 9,158 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,471 photos, 22,478 members
- LEE Filters 44,899 photos, 3,882 members
- Albany Bulb Scott Kelby Photowalk 282 photos, 24 members
- Monochromatic Visions 23,717 photos, 2,582 members
- Official LDS Church Call for Photos 3,556 photos, 616 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,371 members
- 2010 Amgen Tour of California 596 photos, 98 members
- Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Lens 1,257 photos, 827 members
- Michael Frye's Photo Critique Series 5,865 photos, 635 members
- yosemite 38,247 photos, 5,718 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 295,443 photos, 15,759 members
- Long Exposure 677,464 photos, 59,437 members
- Pioneer Woman Photography Assignments 182,502 photos, 57,607 members
- The Darkroom™ - SBG's Style Challenge #1 - Panning Motion 13 photos, 109 members
- Photo Madness: 2015 anyone? 409 photos, 332 members
- Northern California Photographers 85,328 photos, 2,123 members
- Nikon D300 Users 552,393 photos, 17,237 members
- 400+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 889 photos, 618 members
- 300+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 2,441 photos, 915 members
- Big Sur, California 11,351 photos, 1,591 members
- Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO 27,648 photos, 1,951 members
- Pacific Seascapes 4,080 photos, 439 members
- Elemental Photography 1,651 photos, 217 members
- Images with Filters 11,955 photos, 1,168 members
- Northern California Photography 160,673 photos, 4,881 members
- 50+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two). 34,809 photos, 6,404 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 516 photos, 537 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 19,598 photos, 5,654 members
- 10+ Faves (10-24): P1, aw & fav 2 on the 1 newest pages 15,946 photos, 6,626 members
- California Photographer 26,215 photos, 1,315 members
- San Francisco 251,599 photos, 14,783 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,253 photos, 18,837 members
- DMU Save10 Book - Volume 2 56 photos, 41 members
- Utata 438,102 photos, 25,228 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Mondays *OPEN* 3,715,623 photos, 105,556 members
- The Non-secret DMU2 Reunification Discussion Group 5 photos, 26 members
- Ansel 126 photos, 195 members
- San Jose Sharks 3,004 photos, 340 members
- Mare Island Nocturnes 879 photos, 140 members
- F64 Challenge - G68 In April now... 5,368 photos, 1,054 members
- 52 Weeks of Someone You Love 679 photos, 63 members
- The Nature Conservancy 762,443 photos, 38,131 members
G Dan Mitchell says:
"Ivan is a serious, thoughtful, creative, and all around fine photographer. He has a good sense of what he is working to accomplish. I've had the good fortune to photograph with Ivan on at least one occasion, and I always look forward to his photographic work and his thinking and observations on photography."
January 26th, 2010
Thomas Hawk says:
"Ivan is a serious and accomplished photographer. One of Flickr's best. More than this though, Ivan is a dedicated community member and someone I'm happy to call a friend. He is extremely focused on his work and on his role as a leader in the Bay Area photographic community. He's a great father and a good friend. I'm glad to have the opportunity to shoot regularly with him around town and to watch the great work that he does both with a camera and without a camera."
September 28th, 2009
"Ivan is da man. Check his stream, you will see. I don't need to lead you there..."
September 7th, 2009
"Ivan's land and seascapes never fail to inspire. His eye for geometry in architechture is admirable but it's his genuine desire to share what he knows with those who would listen that sets him
September 6th, 2009
"Ivan is the pespective master. Every single one of his shots is a lesson in 3 dimensional composition. And he finds interesting subjects too. A photographer whose work I follow eagerly."
September 5th, 2009
No longer the boy says:
"Ivan is a superb photographer. His shots are clean, refined, sophisticated without being overly cluttered. His B&W works reveal a brilliant eye for contrast and for the mundane that his photos can elevate to art."
September 5th, 2009
"Ivan used to shoot a lot of Rocks and Waves along the California shoreline. And he shot them extremely well. I used to give Ivan a lot of grief for all those "dreamy shoreline" shots, because I could see he had a sharp eye for photography and knew he could do so much more. Nowadays, Ivan's been brining a wide range of great shots to DMU and elsewhere, and with a lot of huge applause."
August 21st, 2009
"Ivan's photographs are always amazing. I'm always happy when I see a new shot in my contacts list."
July 25th, 2008
eden's lane says:
"Ivan's photo's are nothing short of AMAZING and INSPIRING!"
May 6th, 2008
"Ivan was one of my first contacts a year ago when I got my d40.. his Utah's landscape photos were of inspiration to me on my learning process.. a digital camera was something new to me, and you helped me a lot understanding some processes back on the d40 club (remember that time?). I've followed his great evolution on photography (among other stuff, like studies, family).
One of my favorite flickr photos is Ivan's www.flickr.com/ph... , I can call this one a perfect photo. For the future, I'll follow your "light technique", and I hope your baby boy will grow as healthy as my baby girl.
obs: my father inlaw has a civic ;)"
March 3rd, 2008
"Ivan takes some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever scene, his landscapes rival many of the greats, his portraits of his son are beautiful, and it seems as though every thing he does is amazing.
I look forward to seeing his work everyday, which is something I can say about very few artists. If there is one thing I am thankful for on flickr it is Ivan."
October 16th, 2007
"For only having his Nikon D40 for the last four months, IvanoMak is an amazing and talented photographer! His forte is landscape in B&W, but he is continually progressing in his HDR shots as well.
It's hard to believe that someone with such little experience can be featured on a major state news channel, KSL, for his infamous “Dead Horse Point” shot, which also received over 8000 views via the Flickr community.
I strongly recommend viewing Ivan’s work and I hope you become inspired as much as I have been due to his simple yet surreal shots."
April 8th, 2007
"I'd have to agree with Chris. IvanoMak has always gone the distance to help others. He's one of the few that I can actually call a great Flickr friend. We Flickr-mail each other about every other day to talk about our next projects, what new toys we can get for our cameras, and so forth.
If you've never seen his work STOP reading this, and go check it out! He's one of the few I've seen her on Flicker, that just keeps getting better, and better.
Keep up the GREAT work Ivan.^^"
March 26th, 2007
"Ivan is one of the coolest guys on Flickr, he's always ready to offer his help and advice no matter what your question may be.
Having kept a close eye on his photostream for the past few months I can safely say he has a real talent.
I urge you to check out his excellent photos now!"
March 21st, 2007
- Ivan M.
- December 2006
- Moscow, Russia
- California, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- I-M Photography