I do not photograph because I see. I see because I photograph.
I was tired and burnt out during my last year of college. I found I gain much strength, energy, and balance in my life when I spent time outdoors communicating with nature. While outside, I wanted to capture my feelings and preserve memories, so I picked up a camera, and found something that I always felt was missing in my life – a creative outlet and a way to express myself in ways other than using words. All of a sudden there was a World out there I have never noticed, shapes I overlooked, a powerful Universe I never took time to explore and understand. I realized I am just begin to see to see and understand this beautiful planet and its inhabitants. Once I bought my first camera, I could not put it down.
My favorite subjects are nature, architecture and people.
After spending the first 20 years of my life in Moscow, Russia, 2 years in England and four years in Utah, I decided to settle in San Francisco Bay Area, where I now reside.
I use Nikon cameras and lenses.
FYI - I use Flickr more like a journal. Since I work on several projects at the same time, the postings at times may look random. But this is how I shoot and think. Visiting my sets may make more sense.
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,866 photos, 59,420 members
- Leica M photography 151,615 photos, 5,002 members
- Leica M (Type 240) 12,424 photos, 750 members
- SmugMugs 2 photos, 2 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 232,892 photos, 5,297 members
- Photo Talk Plus 931 photos, 349 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 94,607 photos, 5,918 members
- Fuji X100 127,576 photos, 8,314 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 18,769 photos, 22,949 members
- LEE Filters 32,329 photos, 2,943 members
- Albany Bulb Scott Kelby Photowalk 282 photos, 24 members
- Monochromatic Visions 22,394 photos, 2,378 members
- Official LDS Church Call for Photos 3,634 photos, 613 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,428 members
- Destination Oakland 1,810 photos, 221 members
- 2010 Amgen Tour of California 610 photos, 98 members
- Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Lens 1,360 photos, 841 members
- Michael Frye's Photo Critique Series 5,079 photos, 618 members
- yosemite 35,037 photos, 5,369 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 276,102 photos, 15,195 members
- Long Exposure 584,417 photos, 54,049 members
- Pioneer Woman Photography Assignments 181,986 photos, 57,791 members
- The Darkroom™ - SBG's Style Challenge #1 - Panning Motion 13 photos, 109 members
- Photo Madness: Who will be the 2014 commish? 427 photos, 337 members
- Northern California Photographers 78,106 photos, 2,027 members
- Nikon D300 Users 537,546 photos, 17,068 members
- 400+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 604 photos, 463 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 3,804 photos, 1,119 members
- 300+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 1,291 photos, 658 members
- 100+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 21,239 photos, 3,175 members
- Big Sur, California 10,713 photos, 1,492 members
- Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO 26,803 photos, 1,883 members
- Pacific Seascapes 3,288 photos, 352 members
- Elemental Photography 1,485 photos, 210 members
- Images with Filters 10,576 photos, 1,025 members
- Northern California Photography 140,826 photos, 4,551 members
- 50+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two). 35,308 photos, 5,849 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 374 photos, 377 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 199 photos, 291 members
- 25+ Faves (25-49): P1, aw & fav 2 on the first newest page 19,163 photos, 5,399 members
- 10+ Faves (10-24): P1, aw & fav 2 on the 1 newest pages 16,886 photos, 6,398 members
- California Photographer - Best Photos from California 21,212 photos, 1,104 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,394 members
- San Francisco 231,682 photos, 13,972 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,493 photos, 19,115 members
- DMU Save10 Book - Volume 2 58 photos, 41 members
- Utata 417,409 photos, 24,190 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Mondays*Open* 3,410,919 photos, 97,514 members
- The Non-secret DMU2 Reunification Discussion Group 5 photos, 27 members
- *GreatPixGallery 100 Faves+ 6,308 photos, 1,065 members
G Dan Mitchell says:
"Ivan is a serious, thoughtful, creative, and all around fine photographer. He has a good sense of what he is working to accomplish. I've had the good fortune to photograph with Ivan on at least one occasion, and I always look forward to his photographic work and his thinking and observations on photography."
26th January, 2010
Thomas Hawk says:
"Ivan is a serious and accomplished photographer. One of Flickr's best. More than this though, Ivan is a dedicated community member and someone I'm happy to call a friend. He is extremely focused on his work and on his role as a leader in the Bay Area photographic community. He's a great father and a good friend. I'm glad to have the opportunity to shoot regularly with him around town and to watch the great work that he does both with a camera and without a camera."
28th September, 2009
"Ivan is da man. Check his stream, you will see. I don't need to lead you there..."
7th September, 2009
"Ivan's land and seascapes never fail to inspire. His eye for geometry in architechture is admirable but it's his genuine desire to share what he knows with those who would listen that sets him
6th September, 2009
"Ivan is the pespective master. Every single one of his shots is a lesson in 3 dimensional composition. And he finds interesting subjects too. A photographer whose work I follow eagerly."
5th September, 2009
No longer the boy says:
"Ivan is a superb photographer. His shots are clean, refined, sophisticated without being overly cluttered. His B&W works reveal a brilliant eye for contrast and for the mundane that his photos can elevate to art."
5th September, 2009
"Ivan used to shoot a lot of Rocks and Waves along the California shoreline. And he shot them extremely well. I used to give Ivan a lot of grief for all those "dreamy shoreline" shots, because I could see he had a sharp eye for photography and knew he could do so much more. Nowadays, Ivan's been brining a wide range of great shots to DMU and elsewhere, and with a lot of huge applause."
21st August, 2009
"Ivan's photographs are always amazing. I'm always happy when I see a new shot in my contacts list."
25th July, 2008
eden's lane says:
"Ivan's photo's are nothing short of AMAZING and INSPIRING!"
6th May, 2008
"Ivan was one of my first contacts a year ago when I got my d40.. his Utah's landscape photos were of inspiration to me on my learning process.. a digital camera was something new to me, and you helped me a lot understanding some processes back on the d40 club (remember that time?). I've followed his great evolution on photography (among other stuff, like studies, family).
One of my favorite flickr photos is Ivan's www.flickr.com/ph... , I can call this one a perfect photo. For the future, I'll follow your "light technique", and I hope your baby boy will grow as healthy as my baby girl.
obs: my father inlaw has a civic ;)"
3rd March, 2008
"Ivan takes some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever scene, his landscapes rival many of the greats, his portraits of his son are beautiful, and it seems as though every thing he does is amazing.
I look forward to seeing his work everyday, which is something I can say about very few artists. If there is one thing I am thankful for on flickr it is Ivan."
16th October, 2007
"For only having his Nikon D40 for the last four months, IvanoMak is an amazing and talented photographer! His forte is landscape in B&W, but he is continually progressing in his HDR shots as well.
It's hard to believe that someone with such little experience can be featured on a major state news channel, KSL, for his infamous “Dead Horse Point” shot, which also received over 8000 views via the Flickr community.
I strongly recommend viewing Ivan’s work and I hope you become inspired as much as I have been due to his simple yet surreal shots."
8th April, 2007
"I'd have to agree with Chris. IvanoMak has always gone the distance to help others. He's one of the few that I can actually call a great Flickr friend. We Flickr-mail each other about every other day to talk about our next projects, what new toys we can get for our cameras, and so forth.
If you've never seen his work STOP reading this, and go check it out! He's one of the few I've seen her on Flicker, that just keeps getting better, and better.
Keep up the GREAT work Ivan.^^"
26th March, 2007
"Ivan is one of the coolest guys on Flickr, he's always ready to offer his help and advice no matter what your question may be.
Having kept a close eye on his photostream for the past few months I can safely say he has a real talent.
I urge you to check out his excellent photos now!"
21st March, 2007
- Ivan M.
- December 2006
- Moscow, Russia
- California, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- I-M Photography