By training I'm a criminologist/sociologist. I've been a medic in the service, a counselor at a prison for women, and a private detective. I've picked up some degrees and taught at a couple universities. Now I write detective and mystery stories. I teach introductory and advanced Mystery Fiction for the Gotham Writer's Workshop. I'm also the Managing Editor of the online photo-literary journal Utata.org.
DO NOT SEND FLICKRmail. I almost never read it. Instead I can be reached at: email@example.com.
- 'RoidWeek 2017 2,144 photos, 488 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 149,273 photos, 9,772 members
- 'RoidWeek 2016 4,375 photos, 941 members
- #Flickr10 7,528 photos, 3,780 members
- Cats Cats Cats 456,230 photos, 28,789 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 11,146 photos, 1,381 members
- Fujifilm X10 82,645 photos, 3,908 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 21,447 photos, 292 members
- Just Street Photography 2,265,916 photos, 72,806 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 117,203 photos, 6,932 members
- Utatabot Testing 42 photos, 14 members
- Bike Nation 196,943 photos, 15,935 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 3,802 photos, 1,147 members
- Crypto-Forestry 192 photos, 61 members
- William Eggleston 81,363 photos, 2,992 members
- NPR Look At This 156,795 photos, 6,299 members
- MINIMAL black&white 72,451 photos, 10,435 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,135 photos, 78,381 members
- be Poladroid ! 79,881 photos, 21,014 members
- Happy birthday, Meera! 16 photos, 29 members
- Flickr Commons 2,657 photos, 2,368 members
- s t i l l 24,333 photos, 1,721 members
- Flickr 888 4,610 photos, 10,132 members
- Nikon Digital 3,573,745 photos, 106,028 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,990,927 photos, 87,153 members
- Entitled 10,868 photos, 1,935 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 178,328 photos, 5,836 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,056,200 photos, 130,307 members
- VISUAL POETRY (+ blur -sharp) 2,159 photos, 3,363 members
- I'm A Big Dork 4,644 photos, 311 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,122 photos, 17,601 members
- Blurvision Photo 91,514 photos, 5,619 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,402 photos, 3,315 members
- :10 Things: 6,369 photos, 748 members
- Photoshop Support Group 322,853 photos, 35,710 members
- ! **お散歩カメラ / osanpo camera 476,056 photos, 14,590 members
- Creative self-portraits. 216,043 photos, 21,545 members
- Less Is More... 57,669 photos, 58,426 members
- Walking In Nature 217,710 photos, 7,660 members
- mono no aware 378 photos, 47 members
- The Blink of an Eye 1,926 photos, 2,943 members
- Life in Black & White 1,136,141 photos, 33,667 members
- Suburbia 30,469 photos, 1,796 members
- Portrait★Faces 103,876 photos, 52,328 members
- Water... Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks 1,436,777 photos, 61,982 members
- .:Utterly Surreal:. 305,537 photos, 23,346 members
- dream or reality? 519,218 photos, 21,735 members
- Lynched 48,697 photos, 2,439 members
- Night Images 1,182,995 photos, 162,137 members
- The Night Shots 96,591 photos, 6,813 members
"Greg sometimes uses words that I have to look up in the dictionary. I like that about him."
July 27th, 2009
"What can I say. I loves me some Greg. He has heart, humor, mystery, he's adorable and he has brains. Oh, does he have brains!! Watch out, he may use them on you. But only in the best possible way. His photos always make you think or giggle or wonder what he has just smoked. And he doesn't mind my exclamations!!!! A patient man, he is. ;)"
January 4th, 2009
Frans Peter Verheyen says:
""I do not write many testimonials, but..........
Here goes number one.
I saw Greg grow in his photography and creativity. He never stops to amaze me, the master of almost minimal photography, but man, can he tell a story with it.
I hardly wait for a new picture, but always on alert for a new one from Greg, can he surprise me even more? And yes he can.
Not only is Greg a great Artist he is also a wise man. He has the “eye” and it shows in his work.
It’s a pleasure to “know” you.
Greg please delete Vrot, that was me on my first tour of duty on Flickr :)"
June 16th, 2008
"Greg is a rock. And a peach. If this sounds impossible, you haven't met Greg yet."
March 25th, 2008
"Take one part Southern gentleman, one part rascal and one part Zen philosopher. Mix those with some over-the-top writing and photographic skills and you have one of the most brilliant and unforgettable personalities in the entire flickr-verse. I don't know how to thank you, Greg, for all you have given us, but this is one way. Thanks Greg. I hope to meet you in person someday."
August 22nd, 2007
Rachael Ashe says:
"Dear Greg, I've been trying to write you this long-overdue testimonial for years, but I've been unable to find the right words. I still don't think I've found them, but here goes...
Greg is the master of the sage comment, and I look forward to his visits to my photo stream. He's always been a wonderful supporter of my work and for this I am very grateful. I adore the writing he does to accompany photos, and was deeply flattered by his written interpretation of some of mine.
His own work is about fine detail and beauty in simplicity. They demonstrate a man with quiet wisdom, kindness, humour, and a beautiful soul.
Greg, I hope someday we can meet in person."
July 16th, 2007
The 10 cent designer says:
"um, I just really like him. I mean have you seen his blog?
go look at it.
March 22nd, 2007
"Greg really is Faramir, you know. He's here undercover ("private detective" indeed). But the quiet wisdom in his photographs give him away."
December 20th, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Beyond having such skill with the English language, Greg has an incredibly gifted eye, and a way in which he is able to turn the smallest of this world's details into the most momentous of occasions."
April 28th, 2006
bonnym E. Haus says:
"Sometimes I feel that Greg's images belong to a different world.. a world that's more natural and life is much simpler.....yet, in this world there is much yet to be discovered, and mystery, beauty, and magic lie everywhere.
Through Greg's photos, I met a person with grace, vision, and sophistication...Through his words and actions, I found kindness and support"
August 30th, 2005
"Greg’s photos, pics, captures, topics, works (call it what you will) accomplish the three things great ‘art’ should do: Please realize I speak only for myself and not for the vast majority of others of the human race.
First: He elicits a second glance, then a third, then a stare – a smile, a nod of understanding, and then (with a touch of envy) contemplation.
Second: He creates a smaller world (just for a moment) which he lures you into with his titles, subjects, and his willingness to share (words, pics, ideas – scampering after fireflies … waiting on bees …)
Third: Envy - I envy his skill (with the camera), his eye (for his subjects), his words (titles and comments) and his luck. Not that all encompassing hateful jealousy of a lost love to another, or the more subtle less demanding envy of a sibling but the one that says with a wide face-splitting grin ‘Damn-man, I wish I could’ve taken that shot!’
Thanks Greg - outstanding, stunning stuff!"
August 24th, 2005
"It's Greg's photographs exude a sense of contentment and deep happiness that lesser mortals only aspire to.
Beautiful peaceful photographs of a life well-lived - craftfully composed, with rich colours and delightful captions."
June 29th, 2005
"I originally "found" the it'sgreg stream through FlickrCentral -- I wanted to know who was behind all of the witty and insightful comments. Again and again there would be a comment that floored me and it was always from Greg. So I came to his stream to check it out and was lured in by an illegally adorable dog and then entranced by a garden of eden (later determined to be in ohio). but i'm telling you: watch out for the ducklings. once you see them, you'll never leave this stream."
May 31st, 2005
"You must have enjoyed Greg's pictures to arrive at his profile page.. well, he's got another Easter egg hidden here too in the shape of his excellent and very creative blog! If you haven't already, have a Controlled Skid!"
May 25th, 2005
- December 2004
- I am: