By training I'm a criminologist/sociologist. I've been a medic in the service, a counselor at a prison for women, and a private detective. I've picked up some degrees and taught at a couple universities. Now I write detective and mystery stories. I teach introductory and advanced Mystery Fiction for the Gotham Writer's Workshop. I'm also the Managing Editor of the online photo-literary journal Utata.org.
DO NOT SEND FLICKRmail. I almost never read it. Instead I can be reached at: email@example.com.
- 'RoidWeek 2017 2,143 photos, 496 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 150,498 photos, 9,829 members
- 'RoidWeek 2016 4,367 photos, 1,022 members
- #Flickr10 7,514 photos, 3,929 members
- Cats Cats Cats 460,481 photos, 28,910 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 11,672 photos, 1,412 members
- Fujifilm X10 83,267 photos, 3,923 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 21,886 photos, 291 members
- Just Street Photography 2,335,396 photos, 74,300 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 119,186 photos, 6,949 members
- Utatabot Testing 40 photos, 14 members
- Bike Nation 198,730 photos, 15,940 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 3,850 photos, 1,144 members
- Crypto-Forestry 193 photos, 61 members
- William Eggleston 84,202 photos, 3,027 members
- NPR Look At This 155,717 photos, 6,288 members
- MINIMAL black&white 75,945 photos, 10,595 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,156 photos, 79,100 members
- be Poladroid ! 79,673 photos, 20,979 members
- Happy birthday, Meera! 16 photos, 29 members
- Flickr Commons 2,657 photos, 2,404 members
- s t i l l 24,615 photos, 1,729 members
- Flickr 888 4,594 photos, 10,110 members
- Nikon Digital 3,710,016 photos, 107,628 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 2,044,921 photos, 87,745 members
- Entitled 10,772 photos, 1,929 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 181,444 photos, 5,876 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,064,485 photos, 130,421 members
- VISUAL POETRY (+ blur -sharp) 2,126 photos, 3,366 members
- I'm A Big Dork 4,653 photos, 310 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,105 photos, 17,565 members
- Blurvision Photo 91,762 photos, 5,625 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,417 photos, 3,317 members
- :10 Things: 6,209 photos, 746 members
- Photoshop Support Group 331,301 photos, 35,956 members
- ! **お散歩カメラ / osanpo camera 473,991 photos, 14,641 members
- Creative self-portraits. 216,753 photos, 21,605 members
- Less Is More... 59,543 photos, 59,063 members
- Walking In Nature 225,598 photos, 7,794 members
- mono no aware 380 photos, 47 members
- The Blink of an Eye 1,920 photos, 2,937 members
- Life in Black & White 1,174,358 photos, 34,400 members
- Suburbia 31,607 photos, 1,819 members
- Portrait★Faces 107,197 photos, 52,620 members
- Water... Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks 1,479,561 photos, 63,093 members
- .:Utterly Surreal:. 304,167 photos, 23,468 members
- dream or reality? 537,820 photos, 21,979 members
- Lynched 49,775 photos, 2,442 members
- Night Images 1,195,354 photos, 163,032 members
- The Night Shots 98,770 photos, 6,849 members
"Greg sometimes uses words that I have to look up in the dictionary. I like that about him."
July 27th, 2009
"What can I say. I loves me some Greg. He has heart, humor, mystery, he's adorable and he has brains. Oh, does he have brains!! Watch out, he may use them on you. But only in the best possible way. His photos always make you think or giggle or wonder what he has just smoked. And he doesn't mind my exclamations!!!! A patient man, he is. ;)"
January 4th, 2009
Frans Peter Verheyen says:
""I do not write many testimonials, but..........
Here goes number one.
I saw Greg grow in his photography and creativity. He never stops to amaze me, the master of almost minimal photography, but man, can he tell a story with it.
I hardly wait for a new picture, but always on alert for a new one from Greg, can he surprise me even more? And yes he can.
Not only is Greg a great Artist he is also a wise man. He has the “eye” and it shows in his work.
It’s a pleasure to “know” you.
Greg please delete Vrot, that was me on my first tour of duty on Flickr :)"
June 16th, 2008
"Greg is a rock. And a peach. If this sounds impossible, you haven't met Greg yet."
March 25th, 2008
"Take one part Southern gentleman, one part rascal and one part Zen philosopher. Mix those with some over-the-top writing and photographic skills and you have one of the most brilliant and unforgettable personalities in the entire flickr-verse. I don't know how to thank you, Greg, for all you have given us, but this is one way. Thanks Greg. I hope to meet you in person someday."
August 22nd, 2007
Rachael Ashe says:
"Dear Greg, I've been trying to write you this long-overdue testimonial for years, but I've been unable to find the right words. I still don't think I've found them, but here goes...
Greg is the master of the sage comment, and I look forward to his visits to my photo stream. He's always been a wonderful supporter of my work and for this I am very grateful. I adore the writing he does to accompany photos, and was deeply flattered by his written interpretation of some of mine.
His own work is about fine detail and beauty in simplicity. They demonstrate a man with quiet wisdom, kindness, humour, and a beautiful soul.
Greg, I hope someday we can meet in person."
July 16th, 2007
The 10 cent designer says:
"um, I just really like him. I mean have you seen his blog?
go look at it.
March 22nd, 2007
"Greg really is Faramir, you know. He's here undercover ("private detective" indeed). But the quiet wisdom in his photographs give him away."
December 20th, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Beyond having such skill with the English language, Greg has an incredibly gifted eye, and a way in which he is able to turn the smallest of this world's details into the most momentous of occasions."
April 28th, 2006
bonnym E. Haus says:
"Sometimes I feel that Greg's images belong to a different world.. a world that's more natural and life is much simpler.....yet, in this world there is much yet to be discovered, and mystery, beauty, and magic lie everywhere.
Through Greg's photos, I met a person with grace, vision, and sophistication...Through his words and actions, I found kindness and support"
August 30th, 2005
"Greg’s photos, pics, captures, topics, works (call it what you will) accomplish the three things great ‘art’ should do: Please realize I speak only for myself and not for the vast majority of others of the human race.
First: He elicits a second glance, then a third, then a stare – a smile, a nod of understanding, and then (with a touch of envy) contemplation.
Second: He creates a smaller world (just for a moment) which he lures you into with his titles, subjects, and his willingness to share (words, pics, ideas – scampering after fireflies … waiting on bees …)
Third: Envy - I envy his skill (with the camera), his eye (for his subjects), his words (titles and comments) and his luck. Not that all encompassing hateful jealousy of a lost love to another, or the more subtle less demanding envy of a sibling but the one that says with a wide face-splitting grin ‘Damn-man, I wish I could’ve taken that shot!’
Thanks Greg - outstanding, stunning stuff!"
August 24th, 2005
"It's Greg's photographs exude a sense of contentment and deep happiness that lesser mortals only aspire to.
Beautiful peaceful photographs of a life well-lived - craftfully composed, with rich colours and delightful captions."
June 29th, 2005
"I originally "found" the it'sgreg stream through FlickrCentral -- I wanted to know who was behind all of the witty and insightful comments. Again and again there would be a comment that floored me and it was always from Greg. So I came to his stream to check it out and was lured in by an illegally adorable dog and then entranced by a garden of eden (later determined to be in ohio). but i'm telling you: watch out for the ducklings. once you see them, you'll never leave this stream."
May 31st, 2005
"You must have enjoyed Greg's pictures to arrive at his profile page.. well, he's got another Easter egg hidden here too in the shape of his excellent and very creative blog! If you haven't already, have a Controlled Skid!"
May 25th, 2005
- December 2004
- I am: