By training I'm a criminologist/sociologist. I've been a medic in the service, a counselor at a prison for women, and a private detective. I've picked up some degrees and taught at a couple universities. Now I write detective and mystery stories. I teach introductory and advanced Mystery Fiction for the Gotham Writer's Workshop. I'm also the Managing Editor of the online photo-literary journal Utata.org.
DO NOT SEND FLICKRmail. I almost never read it. Instead I can be reached at: email@example.com.
- 'RoidWeek 2017 3,829 photos, 641 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 152,804 photos, 9,871 members
- 'RoidWeek 2016 4,273 photos, 1,203 members
- #Flickr10 7,410 photos, 4,213 members
- Cats Cats Cats 462,637 photos, 29,025 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 13,122 photos, 1,508 members
- Fujifilm X10 81,243 photos, 3,931 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 23,161 photos, 286 members
- Just Street Photography 2,456,554 photos, 77,809 members
- Utatabot Testing 29 photos, 14 members
- Bike Nation 202,508 photos, 15,866 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 4,050 photos, 1,131 members
- Crypto-Forestry 343 photos, 75 members
- William Eggleston 90,073 photos, 3,119 members
- NPR Look At This 152,261 photos, 6,192 members
- MINIMAL black&white 87,117 photos, 11,078 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,183 photos, 80,926 members
- be Poladroid ! 78,624 photos, 20,745 members
- Happy birthday, Meera! 16 photos, 29 members
- Flickr Commons 2,637 photos, 2,530 members
- s t i l l 25,110 photos, 1,737 members
- Flickr 888 4,534 photos, 9,998 members
- Entitled 10,713 photos, 1,903 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 187,450 photos, 5,894 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,089,590 photos, 130,277 members
- VISUAL POETRY (+ blur -sharp) 2,119 photos, 3,390 members
- I'm A Big Dork 4,645 photos, 311 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,048 photos, 17,348 members
- Blurvision Photo 92,712 photos, 5,614 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,430 photos, 3,314 members
- Photoshop Support Group 326,983 photos, 35,945 members
- ! **お散歩カメラ / osanpo camera 471,065 photos, 14,755 members
- Creative self-portraits. 209,367 photos, 21,607 members
- Less Is More... 62,581 photos, 60,754 members
- Walking In Nature 244,567 photos, 8,005 members
- mono no aware 388 photos, 47 members
- The Blink of an Eye 1,894 photos, 2,890 members
- Life in Black & White 1,230,800 photos, 36,193 members
- Suburbia 34,442 photos, 1,858 members
- Portrait★Faces 114,390 photos, 53,005 members
- Water... Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks 1,569,397 photos, 65,459 members
- .:Utterly Surreal:. 300,050 photos, 23,554 members
- dream or reality? 563,546 photos, 22,232 members
- Lynched 51,611 photos, 2,448 members
- Night Images 1,188,503 photos, 165,182 members
- The Night Shots 102,975 photos, 6,868 members
- Negative Space 41,946 photos, 4,372 members
- ☼Nature: Madre Tierra☼ 130,702 photos, 4,063 members
- Mundane Details 165,789 photos, 5,744 members
- Lights and Shadows 1,099,820 photos, 36,178 members
"Greg sometimes uses words that I have to look up in the dictionary. I like that about him."
July 27th, 2009
"What can I say. I loves me some Greg. He has heart, humor, mystery, he's adorable and he has brains. Oh, does he have brains!! Watch out, he may use them on you. But only in the best possible way. His photos always make you think or giggle or wonder what he has just smoked. And he doesn't mind my exclamations!!!! A patient man, he is. ;)"
January 4th, 2009
Frans Peter Verheyen says:
""I do not write many testimonials, but..........
Here goes number one.
I saw Greg grow in his photography and creativity. He never stops to amaze me, the master of almost minimal photography, but man, can he tell a story with it.
I hardly wait for a new picture, but always on alert for a new one from Greg, can he surprise me even more? And yes he can.
Not only is Greg a great Artist he is also a wise man. He has the “eye” and it shows in his work.
It’s a pleasure to “know” you.
Greg please delete Vrot, that was me on my first tour of duty on Flickr :)"
June 16th, 2008
"Greg is a rock. And a peach. If this sounds impossible, you haven't met Greg yet."
March 25th, 2008
"Take one part Southern gentleman, one part rascal and one part Zen philosopher. Mix those with some over-the-top writing and photographic skills and you have one of the most brilliant and unforgettable personalities in the entire flickr-verse. I don't know how to thank you, Greg, for all you have given us, but this is one way. Thanks Greg. I hope to meet you in person someday."
August 22nd, 2007
Rachael Ashe says:
"Dear Greg, I've been trying to write you this long-overdue testimonial for years, but I've been unable to find the right words. I still don't think I've found them, but here goes...
Greg is the master of the sage comment, and I look forward to his visits to my photo stream. He's always been a wonderful supporter of my work and for this I am very grateful. I adore the writing he does to accompany photos, and was deeply flattered by his written interpretation of some of mine.
His own work is about fine detail and beauty in simplicity. They demonstrate a man with quiet wisdom, kindness, humour, and a beautiful soul.
Greg, I hope someday we can meet in person."
July 16th, 2007
The 10 cent designer says:
"um, I just really like him. I mean have you seen his blog?
go look at it.
March 22nd, 2007
"Greg really is Faramir, you know. He's here undercover ("private detective" indeed). But the quiet wisdom in his photographs give him away."
December 20th, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Beyond having such skill with the English language, Greg has an incredibly gifted eye, and a way in which he is able to turn the smallest of this world's details into the most momentous of occasions."
April 28th, 2006
bonnym E. Haus says:
"Sometimes I feel that Greg's images belong to a different world.. a world that's more natural and life is much simpler.....yet, in this world there is much yet to be discovered, and mystery, beauty, and magic lie everywhere.
Through Greg's photos, I met a person with grace, vision, and sophistication...Through his words and actions, I found kindness and support"
August 30th, 2005
"Greg’s photos, pics, captures, topics, works (call it what you will) accomplish the three things great ‘art’ should do: Please realize I speak only for myself and not for the vast majority of others of the human race.
First: He elicits a second glance, then a third, then a stare – a smile, a nod of understanding, and then (with a touch of envy) contemplation.
Second: He creates a smaller world (just for a moment) which he lures you into with his titles, subjects, and his willingness to share (words, pics, ideas – scampering after fireflies … waiting on bees …)
Third: Envy - I envy his skill (with the camera), his eye (for his subjects), his words (titles and comments) and his luck. Not that all encompassing hateful jealousy of a lost love to another, or the more subtle less demanding envy of a sibling but the one that says with a wide face-splitting grin ‘Damn-man, I wish I could’ve taken that shot!’
Thanks Greg - outstanding, stunning stuff!"
August 24th, 2005
"It's Greg's photographs exude a sense of contentment and deep happiness that lesser mortals only aspire to.
Beautiful peaceful photographs of a life well-lived - craftfully composed, with rich colours and delightful captions."
June 29th, 2005
"I originally "found" the it'sgreg stream through FlickrCentral -- I wanted to know who was behind all of the witty and insightful comments. Again and again there would be a comment that floored me and it was always from Greg. So I came to his stream to check it out and was lured in by an illegally adorable dog and then entranced by a garden of eden (later determined to be in ohio). but i'm telling you: watch out for the ducklings. once you see them, you'll never leave this stream."
May 31st, 2005
"You must have enjoyed Greg's pictures to arrive at his profile page.. well, he's got another Easter egg hidden here too in the shape of his excellent and very creative blog! If you haven't already, have a Controlled Skid!"
May 25th, 2005
- December 2004
- I am: