By training I'm a criminologist/sociologist. I've been a medic in the service, a counselor at a prison for women, and a private detective. I've picked up some degrees and taught at a couple universities. Now I write detective and mystery stories. I teach introductory and advanced Mystery Fiction for the Gotham Writer's Workshop. I'm also the Managing Editor of the online photo-literary journal Utata.org.
DO NOT SEND FLICKRmail. I almost never read it. Instead I can be reached at: email@example.com.
- 'RoidWeek 2017 3,904 photos, 655 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 151,207 photos, 9,859 members
- 'RoidWeek 2016 4,343 photos, 1,073 members
- #Flickr10 7,484 photos, 4,009 members
- Cats Cats Cats 463,920 photos, 28,971 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 12,190 photos, 1,442 members
- Fujifilm X10 83,902 photos, 3,929 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 22,183 photos, 289 members
- Just Street Photography 2,402,507 photos, 75,456 members
- Utatabot Testing 32 photos, 14 members
- Bike Nation 199,792 photos, 15,920 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 3,990 photos, 1,142 members
- Crypto-Forestry 196 photos, 63 members
- William Eggleston 86,057 photos, 3,051 members
- NPR Look At This 155,128 photos, 6,250 members
- MINIMAL black&white 79,274 photos, 10,747 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,188 photos, 79,656 members
- be Poladroid ! 79,419 photos, 20,888 members
- Happy birthday, Meera! 16 photos, 29 members
- Flickr Commons 2,658 photos, 2,443 members
- s t i l l 25,019 photos, 1,742 members
- Flickr 888 4,572 photos, 10,081 members
- Entitled 10,753 photos, 1,924 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 184,711 photos, 5,884 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,072,089 photos, 130,392 members
- VISUAL POETRY (+ blur -sharp) 2,106 photos, 3,373 members
- I'm A Big Dork 4,650 photos, 310 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,088 photos, 17,507 members
- Blurvision Photo 92,672 photos, 5,620 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,430 photos, 3,324 members
- Photoshop Support Group 338,312 photos, 36,130 members
- ! **お散歩カメラ / osanpo camera 473,138 photos, 14,678 members
- Creative self-portraits. 209,310 photos, 21,606 members
- Less Is More... 61,147 photos, 59,570 members
- Walking In Nature 234,741 photos, 7,926 members
- mono no aware 385 photos, 47 members
- The Blink of an Eye 1,911 photos, 2,927 members
- Life in Black & White 1,184,693 photos, 35,073 members
- Suburbia 32,425 photos, 1,830 members
- Portrait★Faces 109,865 photos, 52,824 members
- Water... Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks 1,501,290 photos, 64,027 members
- .:Utterly Surreal:. 303,346 photos, 23,505 members
- dream or reality? 554,828 photos, 22,158 members
- Lynched 50,762 photos, 2,452 members
- Night Images 1,201,246 photos, 163,713 members
- The Night Shots 101,024 photos, 6,883 members
- Negative Space 42,022 photos, 4,369 members
- ☼Nature: Madre Tierra☼ 129,721 photos, 4,083 members
- Mundane Details 161,586 photos, 5,765 members
- Lights and Shadows 1,103,115 photos, 35,837 members
"Greg sometimes uses words that I have to look up in the dictionary. I like that about him."
July 27th, 2009
"What can I say. I loves me some Greg. He has heart, humor, mystery, he's adorable and he has brains. Oh, does he have brains!! Watch out, he may use them on you. But only in the best possible way. His photos always make you think or giggle or wonder what he has just smoked. And he doesn't mind my exclamations!!!! A patient man, he is. ;)"
January 4th, 2009
Frans Peter Verheyen says:
""I do not write many testimonials, but..........
Here goes number one.
I saw Greg grow in his photography and creativity. He never stops to amaze me, the master of almost minimal photography, but man, can he tell a story with it.
I hardly wait for a new picture, but always on alert for a new one from Greg, can he surprise me even more? And yes he can.
Not only is Greg a great Artist he is also a wise man. He has the “eye” and it shows in his work.
It’s a pleasure to “know” you.
Greg please delete Vrot, that was me on my first tour of duty on Flickr :)"
June 16th, 2008
"Greg is a rock. And a peach. If this sounds impossible, you haven't met Greg yet."
March 25th, 2008
"Take one part Southern gentleman, one part rascal and one part Zen philosopher. Mix those with some over-the-top writing and photographic skills and you have one of the most brilliant and unforgettable personalities in the entire flickr-verse. I don't know how to thank you, Greg, for all you have given us, but this is one way. Thanks Greg. I hope to meet you in person someday."
August 22nd, 2007
Rachael Ashe says:
"Dear Greg, I've been trying to write you this long-overdue testimonial for years, but I've been unable to find the right words. I still don't think I've found them, but here goes...
Greg is the master of the sage comment, and I look forward to his visits to my photo stream. He's always been a wonderful supporter of my work and for this I am very grateful. I adore the writing he does to accompany photos, and was deeply flattered by his written interpretation of some of mine.
His own work is about fine detail and beauty in simplicity. They demonstrate a man with quiet wisdom, kindness, humour, and a beautiful soul.
Greg, I hope someday we can meet in person."
July 16th, 2007
The 10 cent designer says:
"um, I just really like him. I mean have you seen his blog?
go look at it.
March 22nd, 2007
"Greg really is Faramir, you know. He's here undercover ("private detective" indeed). But the quiet wisdom in his photographs give him away."
December 20th, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Beyond having such skill with the English language, Greg has an incredibly gifted eye, and a way in which he is able to turn the smallest of this world's details into the most momentous of occasions."
April 28th, 2006
bonnym E. Haus says:
"Sometimes I feel that Greg's images belong to a different world.. a world that's more natural and life is much simpler.....yet, in this world there is much yet to be discovered, and mystery, beauty, and magic lie everywhere.
Through Greg's photos, I met a person with grace, vision, and sophistication...Through his words and actions, I found kindness and support"
August 30th, 2005
"Greg’s photos, pics, captures, topics, works (call it what you will) accomplish the three things great ‘art’ should do: Please realize I speak only for myself and not for the vast majority of others of the human race.
First: He elicits a second glance, then a third, then a stare – a smile, a nod of understanding, and then (with a touch of envy) contemplation.
Second: He creates a smaller world (just for a moment) which he lures you into with his titles, subjects, and his willingness to share (words, pics, ideas – scampering after fireflies … waiting on bees …)
Third: Envy - I envy his skill (with the camera), his eye (for his subjects), his words (titles and comments) and his luck. Not that all encompassing hateful jealousy of a lost love to another, or the more subtle less demanding envy of a sibling but the one that says with a wide face-splitting grin ‘Damn-man, I wish I could’ve taken that shot!’
Thanks Greg - outstanding, stunning stuff!"
August 24th, 2005
"It's Greg's photographs exude a sense of contentment and deep happiness that lesser mortals only aspire to.
Beautiful peaceful photographs of a life well-lived - craftfully composed, with rich colours and delightful captions."
June 29th, 2005
"I originally "found" the it'sgreg stream through FlickrCentral -- I wanted to know who was behind all of the witty and insightful comments. Again and again there would be a comment that floored me and it was always from Greg. So I came to his stream to check it out and was lured in by an illegally adorable dog and then entranced by a garden of eden (later determined to be in ohio). but i'm telling you: watch out for the ducklings. once you see them, you'll never leave this stream."
May 31st, 2005
"You must have enjoyed Greg's pictures to arrive at his profile page.. well, he's got another Easter egg hidden here too in the shape of his excellent and very creative blog! If you haven't already, have a Controlled Skid!"
May 25th, 2005
- December 2004
- I am: