By training I'm a criminologist/sociologist. I've been a medic in the service, a counselor at a prison for women, and a private detective. I've picked up some degrees and taught at a couple universities. Now I write detective and mystery stories. I teach introductory and advanced Mystery Fiction for the Gotham Writer's Workshop. I'm also the Managing Editor of the online photo-literary journal Utata.org.
DO NOT SEND FLICKRmail. I almost never read it. Instead I can be reached at: email@example.com.
- #Flickr10 7,655 photos, 3,422 members
- Cats Cats Cats 442,049 photos, 28,386 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 9,153 photos, 1,228 members
- Fujifilm X10 80,470 photos, 3,831 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 19,389 photos, 306 members
- Just Street Photography 2,055,811 photos, 67,509 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 108,152 photos, 6,842 members
- Utatabot Testing 44 photos, 15 members
- Bike Nation 191,035 photos, 15,900 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 3,534 photos, 1,155 members
- Crypto-Forestry 189 photos, 61 members
- William Eggleston 76,070 photos, 2,838 members
- NPR Look At This 160,427 photos, 6,326 members
- MINIMAL black&white 60,771 photos, 9,674 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,020 photos, 75,586 members
- be Poladroid ! 80,838 photos, 21,107 members
- Happy birthday, Meera! 16 photos, 29 members
- Flickr Commons 2,666 photos, 2,251 members
- s t i l l 23,228 photos, 1,695 members
- Flickr 888 4,650 photos, 10,190 members
- Nikon Digital 3,126,292 photos, 99,605 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,820,517 photos, 85,015 members
- Entitled 11,090 photos, 1,944 members
- *Clair-Obscur / Darkness-Light* 168,323 photos, 5,726 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,024,883 photos, 128,977 members
- VISUAL POETRY (+ blur -sharp) 1,893 photos, 3,264 members
- I'm A Big Dork 4,741 photos, 317 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,177 photos, 17,703 members
- Blurvision Photo 89,110 photos, 5,560 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,356 photos, 3,300 members
- :10 Things: 6,302 photos, 750 members
- Photoshop Support Group 301,131 photos, 35,048 members
- ! **お散歩カメラ / osanpo camera 475,951 photos, 14,341 members
- Creative self-portraits. 214,421 photos, 21,265 members
- Less Is More... 48,200 photos, 55,604 members
- Walking In Nature 192,848 photos, 7,110 members
- mono no aware 360 photos, 48 members
- The Blink of an Eye 1,945 photos, 2,964 members
- Life in Black & White 1,014,867 photos, 30,856 members
- Suburbia 27,414 photos, 1,733 members
- Portrait★Faces 94,425 photos, 50,948 members
- Water... Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks 1,310,538 photos, 58,518 members
- .:Utterly Surreal:. 309,440 photos, 22,971 members
- dream or reality? 467,279 photos, 20,843 members
- Lynched 45,990 photos, 2,398 members
- Night Images 1,135,377 photos, 155,169 members
- The Night Shots 88,818 photos, 6,639 members
- Negative Space 39,654 photos, 4,242 members
- ☼Nature: Madre Tierra☼ 120,471 photos, 3,901 members
- Mundane Details 148,714 photos, 5,661 members
"Greg sometimes uses words that I have to look up in the dictionary. I like that about him."
July 27th, 2009
"What can I say. I loves me some Greg. He has heart, humor, mystery, he's adorable and he has brains. Oh, does he have brains!! Watch out, he may use them on you. But only in the best possible way. His photos always make you think or giggle or wonder what he has just smoked. And he doesn't mind my exclamations!!!! A patient man, he is. ;)"
January 4th, 2009
Frans Peter Verheyen says:
""I do not write many testimonials, but..........
Here goes number one.
I saw Greg grow in his photography and creativity. He never stops to amaze me, the master of almost minimal photography, but man, can he tell a story with it.
I hardly wait for a new picture, but always on alert for a new one from Greg, can he surprise me even more? And yes he can.
Not only is Greg a great Artist he is also a wise man. He has the “eye” and it shows in his work.
It’s a pleasure to “know” you.
Greg please delete Vrot, that was me on my first tour of duty on Flickr :)"
June 16th, 2008
"Greg is a rock. And a peach. If this sounds impossible, you haven't met Greg yet."
March 25th, 2008
"Take one part Southern gentleman, one part rascal and one part Zen philosopher. Mix those with some over-the-top writing and photographic skills and you have one of the most brilliant and unforgettable personalities in the entire flickr-verse. I don't know how to thank you, Greg, for all you have given us, but this is one way. Thanks Greg. I hope to meet you in person someday."
August 22nd, 2007
Rachael Ashe says:
"Dear Greg, I've been trying to write you this long-overdue testimonial for years, but I've been unable to find the right words. I still don't think I've found them, but here goes...
Greg is the master of the sage comment, and I look forward to his visits to my photo stream. He's always been a wonderful supporter of my work and for this I am very grateful. I adore the writing he does to accompany photos, and was deeply flattered by his written interpretation of some of mine.
His own work is about fine detail and beauty in simplicity. They demonstrate a man with quiet wisdom, kindness, humour, and a beautiful soul.
Greg, I hope someday we can meet in person."
July 16th, 2007
The 10 cent designer says:
"um, I just really like him. I mean have you seen his blog?
go look at it.
March 22nd, 2007
"Greg really is Faramir, you know. He's here undercover ("private detective" indeed). But the quiet wisdom in his photographs give him away."
December 20th, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Beyond having such skill with the English language, Greg has an incredibly gifted eye, and a way in which he is able to turn the smallest of this world's details into the most momentous of occasions."
April 28th, 2006
bonnym E. Haus says:
"Sometimes I feel that Greg's images belong to a different world.. a world that's more natural and life is much simpler.....yet, in this world there is much yet to be discovered, and mystery, beauty, and magic lie everywhere.
Through Greg's photos, I met a person with grace, vision, and sophistication...Through his words and actions, I found kindness and support"
August 30th, 2005
"Greg’s photos, pics, captures, topics, works (call it what you will) accomplish the three things great ‘art’ should do: Please realize I speak only for myself and not for the vast majority of others of the human race.
First: He elicits a second glance, then a third, then a stare – a smile, a nod of understanding, and then (with a touch of envy) contemplation.
Second: He creates a smaller world (just for a moment) which he lures you into with his titles, subjects, and his willingness to share (words, pics, ideas – scampering after fireflies … waiting on bees …)
Third: Envy - I envy his skill (with the camera), his eye (for his subjects), his words (titles and comments) and his luck. Not that all encompassing hateful jealousy of a lost love to another, or the more subtle less demanding envy of a sibling but the one that says with a wide face-splitting grin ‘Damn-man, I wish I could’ve taken that shot!’
Thanks Greg - outstanding, stunning stuff!"
August 24th, 2005
"It's Greg's photographs exude a sense of contentment and deep happiness that lesser mortals only aspire to.
Beautiful peaceful photographs of a life well-lived - craftfully composed, with rich colours and delightful captions."
June 29th, 2005
"I originally "found" the it'sgreg stream through FlickrCentral -- I wanted to know who was behind all of the witty and insightful comments. Again and again there would be a comment that floored me and it was always from Greg. So I came to his stream to check it out and was lured in by an illegally adorable dog and then entranced by a garden of eden (later determined to be in ohio). but i'm telling you: watch out for the ducklings. once you see them, you'll never leave this stream."
May 31st, 2005
"You must have enjoyed Greg's pictures to arrive at his profile page.. well, he's got another Easter egg hidden here too in the shape of his excellent and very creative blog! If you haven't already, have a Controlled Skid!"
May 25th, 2005
- December 2004
- I am: