This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 9,893 photos, 634 members
- iPhone 238,606 photos, 6,406 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 817,267 photos, 33,636 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 62,667 photos, 5,905 members
- Jacarandá 341 photos, 168 members
- Vietnam Images 174,923 photos, 8,993 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 5,083 photos, 306 members
- Light Concept 3,193 photos, 182 members
- 角のタバコ屋 78 photos, 26 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 88 photos, 77 members
- Ne ho una uguale 36 photos, 42 members
- Focus on Feet 2,176 photos, 558 members
- Dragan Effect 1,737 photos, 755 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 64 photos, 27 members
- Autumn Anywhere 118,480 photos, 7,465 members
- Friends we love 1,316 photos, 132 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 3,171 photos, 373 members
- only reflections 4,758 photos, 613 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 14,975 photos, 3,957 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 7,063 photos, 276 members
- Stinky ass crap group 481 photos, 187 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 433,582 photos, 9,382 members
- **Super Best Shots on Flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 201,066 photos, 6,729 members
- Pink 2008 20,368 photos, 8,479 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 7,654 photos, 233 members
- Humour My Day 947 photos, 286 members
- In The Mood For Food 6,097 photos, 382 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,583 photos, 8,462 members
- the best illustrators ever 31,774 photos, 1,844 members
- Lucidreams 14,121 photos, 1,259 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 851 photos, 782 members
- Syria Israel 71 photos, 112 members
- Freezes Time 2,495 photos, 301 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 437,882 photos, 17,852 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 2,027 photos, 117 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 108,738 photos, 1,279 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 156,563 photos, 5,970 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,375 photos, 562 members
- Tone It Up 40,785 photos, 306 members
- Shibui (渋い) 16,518 photos, 696 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 72 photos, 25 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 36,956 photos, 1,209 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 67,319 photos, 3,212 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,005 photos, 812 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 51,557 photos, 6,856 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 642 photos, 319 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 64,959 photos, 2,289 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,626 photos, 394 members
- it was delicious 5,162 photos, 233 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 6,225 photos, 243 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
September 26th, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
March 26th, 2007
helpful airport says:
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
January 28th, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo