This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 6,112 photos, 480 members
- iPhone 184,920 photos, 5,862 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 701,703 photos, 32,225 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 45,836 photos, 5,037 members
- Jacarandá 290 photos, 162 members
- Vietnam Images 109,458 photos, 6,115 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 3,422 photos, 283 members
- Light Concept 883 photos, 66 members
- 角のタバコ屋 63 photos, 25 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 114 photos, 78 members
- Ne ho una uguale 36 photos, 44 members
- Focus on Feet 2,270 photos, 612 members
- Dragan Effect 1,574 photos, 740 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 60 photos, 26 members
- Autumn Anywhere 30,364 photos, 2,879 members
- Friends we love 678 photos, 99 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 1,555 photos, 289 members
- only reflections 3,325 photos, 572 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 16,060 photos, 3,534 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 4,433 photos, 248 members
- Stinky ass crap group 543 photos, 197 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 236,565 photos, 7,287 members
- **Super best shots on flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 140,334 photos, 5,889 members
- Pink 2008 21,053 photos, 8,801 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 2,941 photos, 212 members
- Humour My Day 656 photos, 268 members
- In The Mood For Food 3,254 photos, 350 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 14,150 photos, 6,445 members
- the best illustrators ever 24,350 photos, 1,770 members
- Lucidreams 10,642 photos, 1,211 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 942 photos, 799 members
- Syria Israel 68 photos, 114 members
- Freezes Time 2,597 photos, 304 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 328,700 photos, 16,206 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 679 photos, 101 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 63,000 photos, 1,154 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 118,031 photos, 5,598 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,445 photos, 587 members
- Tone It Up 2,480 photos, 297 members
- Shibui (渋い) 13,630 photos, 666 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 15 photos, 7 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 35,724 photos, 1,210 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 60,719 photos, 3,363 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,154 photos, 834 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 40,723 photos, 5,750 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 502 photos, 321 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 53,065 photos, 2,261 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,911 photos, 420 members
- it was delicious 4,815 photos, 223 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 3,961 photos, 210 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
26th September, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
26th March, 2007
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
28th January, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo