This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 6,709 photos, 529 members
- iPhone 199,759 photos, 6,006 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 746,772 photos, 32,914 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 48,286 photos, 5,189 members
- Jacarandá 294 photos, 165 members
- Vietnam Images 126,002 photos, 6,845 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 3,510 photos, 285 members
- Light Concept 1,214 photos, 81 members
- 角のタバコ屋 67 photos, 25 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 114 photos, 78 members
- Ne ho una uguale 36 photos, 43 members
- Focus on Feet 2,278 photos, 551 members
- Dragan Effect 1,606 photos, 752 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 60 photos, 27 members
- Autumn Anywhere 50,720 photos, 4,300 members
- Friends we love 736 photos, 102 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 1,924 photos, 337 members
- only reflections 3,679 photos, 576 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 15,748 photos, 3,687 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 5,390 photos, 262 members
- Stinky ass crap group 543 photos, 191 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 303,678 photos, 8,299 members
- **Super Best Shots on Flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 153,527 photos, 6,218 members
- Pink 2008 20,808 photos, 8,718 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 3,007 photos, 219 members
- Humour My Day 680 photos, 266 members
- In The Mood For Food 3,721 photos, 348 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 14,027 photos, 7,075 members
- the best illustrators ever 25,380 photos, 1,809 members
- Lucidreams 10,946 photos, 1,218 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 921 photos, 800 members
- Syria Israel 70 photos, 114 members
- Freezes Time 2,588 photos, 305 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 352,210 photos, 16,722 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 712 photos, 101 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 76,081 photos, 1,196 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 128,498 photos, 5,795 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,499 photos, 584 members
- Tone It Up 2,638 photos, 299 members
- Shibui (渋い) 14,229 photos, 669 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 17 photos, 11 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 36,602 photos, 1,208 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 62,328 photos, 3,331 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,110 photos, 826 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 54,377 photos, 6,605 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 538 photos, 319 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 55,578 photos, 2,271 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,804 photos, 411 members
- it was delicious 4,825 photos, 221 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 4,828 photos, 217 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
September 26th, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
March 26th, 2007
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
January 28th, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo