This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 7,279 photos, 563 members
- iPhone 208,285 photos, 6,119 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 771,990 photos, 33,297 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 52,294 photos, 5,406 members
- Jacarandá 299 photos, 169 members
- Vietnam Images 137,853 photos, 7,364 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 4,124 photos, 293 members
- Light Concept 1,399 photos, 98 members
- 角のタバコ屋 69 photos, 25 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 114 photos, 77 members
- Ne ho una uguale 36 photos, 43 members
- Focus on Feet 2,276 photos, 563 members
- Dragan Effect 1,857 photos, 755 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 60 photos, 27 members
- Autumn Anywhere 69,927 photos, 5,447 members
- Friends we love 837 photos, 110 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 2,353 photos, 349 members
- only reflections 3,836 photos, 580 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 15,570 photos, 3,794 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 6,111 photos, 275 members
- Stinky ass crap group 538 photos, 191 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 347,223 photos, 8,799 members
- **Super Best Shots on Flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 166,016 photos, 6,524 members
- Pink 2008 20,705 photos, 8,666 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 3,102 photos, 220 members
- Humour My Day 720 photos, 271 members
- In The Mood For Food 4,233 photos, 360 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,881 photos, 7,351 members
- the best illustrators ever 27,031 photos, 1,830 members
- Lucidreams 11,305 photos, 1,229 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 907 photos, 797 members
- Syria Israel 71 photos, 113 members
- Freezes Time 2,582 photos, 305 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 369,032 photos, 17,039 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 809 photos, 103 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 84,719 photos, 1,222 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 135,888 photos, 5,876 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,495 photos, 582 members
- Tone It Up 2,782 photos, 302 members
- Shibui (渋い) 14,688 photos, 676 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 19 photos, 12 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 36,824 photos, 1,209 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 63,641 photos, 3,305 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,066 photos, 823 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 53,787 photos, 6,868 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 576 photos, 321 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 58,118 photos, 2,287 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,724 photos, 408 members
- it was delicious 4,858 photos, 224 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,190 photos, 214 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
September 26th, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
March 26th, 2007
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
January 28th, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo