This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 8,292 photos, 598 members
- iPhone 215,663 photos, 6,216 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 793,001 photos, 33,624 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 56,744 photos, 5,673 members
- Jacarandá 299 photos, 169 members
- Vietnam Images 146,960 photos, 7,793 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 4,297 photos, 300 members
- Light Concept 1,720 photos, 127 members
- 角のタバコ屋 70 photos, 25 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 114 photos, 77 members
- Ne ho una uguale 36 photos, 43 members
- Focus on Feet 2,246 photos, 563 members
- Dragan Effect 2,269 photos, 763 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 60 photos, 27 members
- Autumn Anywhere 77,638 photos, 5,663 members
- Friends we love 1,039 photos, 120 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 2,926 photos, 359 members
- only reflections 4,077 photos, 585 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 15,323 photos, 3,859 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 6,687 photos, 287 members
- Stinky ass crap group 493 photos, 189 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 385,248 photos, 9,103 members
- **Super Best Shots on Flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 177,599 photos, 6,662 members
- Pink 2008 20,608 photos, 8,627 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 3,535 photos, 221 members
- Humour My Day 823 photos, 275 members
- In The Mood For Food 4,755 photos, 365 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,773 photos, 7,704 members
- the best illustrators ever 28,347 photos, 1,825 members
- Lucidreams 11,901 photos, 1,238 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 906 photos, 794 members
- Syria Israel 71 photos, 113 members
- Freezes Time 2,568 photos, 305 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 384,191 photos, 17,264 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 958 photos, 111 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 93,332 photos, 1,258 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 143,143 photos, 5,944 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,505 photos, 575 members
- Tone It Up 2,913 photos, 305 members
- Shibui (渋い) 15,040 photos, 682 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 27 photos, 17 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 37,436 photos, 1,216 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 65,263 photos, 3,297 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,048 photos, 819 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 53,847 photos, 6,919 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 596 photos, 323 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 59,454 photos, 2,293 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,705 photos, 406 members
- it was delicious 4,852 photos, 226 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,447 photos, 230 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
September 26th, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
March 26th, 2007
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
January 28th, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo