This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 8,405 photos, 609 members
- iPhone 220,117 photos, 6,249 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 804,665 photos, 33,734 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 56,919 photos, 5,681 members
- Jacarandá 300 photos, 169 members
- Vietnam Images 151,673 photos, 8,033 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 4,463 photos, 305 members
- Light Concept 1,942 photos, 146 members
- 角のタバコ屋 70 photos, 25 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 114 photos, 77 members
- Ne ho una uguale 36 photos, 43 members
- Focus on Feet 2,233 photos, 560 members
- Dragan Effect 2,528 photos, 763 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 60 photos, 27 members
- Autumn Anywhere 95,503 photos, 6,524 members
- Friends we love 1,139 photos, 125 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 3,081 photos, 361 members
- only reflections 4,236 photos, 591 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 15,245 photos, 3,886 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 6,715 photos, 286 members
- Stinky ass crap group 491 photos, 188 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 408,714 photos, 9,282 members
- **Super Best Shots on Flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 183,740 photos, 6,696 members
- Pink 2008 20,551 photos, 8,607 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 4,288 photos, 226 members
- Humour My Day 858 photos, 280 members
- In The Mood For Food 4,895 photos, 368 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,776 photos, 7,915 members
- the best illustrators ever 29,060 photos, 1,833 members
- Lucidreams 12,323 photos, 1,242 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 898 photos, 794 members
- Syria Israel 71 photos, 113 members
- Freezes Time 2,567 photos, 303 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 392,481 photos, 17,366 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 1,247 photos, 117 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 95,433 photos, 1,274 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 145,808 photos, 5,975 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,390 photos, 573 members
- Tone It Up 2,954 photos, 307 members
- Shibui (渋い) 15,005 photos, 686 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 29 photos, 19 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 37,195 photos, 1,217 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 66,131 photos, 3,280 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,042 photos, 818 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 53,285 photos, 6,907 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 619 photos, 322 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 60,939 photos, 2,297 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,700 photos, 404 members
- it was delicious 4,868 photos, 227 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,634 photos, 229 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
September 26th, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
March 26th, 2007
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
January 28th, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo