This was written in June, 2007, for Joe Strahlendorff's blog, at his kind request:
Author, poet, essayist, critic and translator, for most of my life I made a living as a publisher and editor, safe for the five years served as a diplomat in charge of cultural affairs at the Embassy of Mexico in Tokyo; now I am a professor at Kansai Gandai University in Hirakata, a small city exactly between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. As it happens with most writers, my first interest has been always reading; the second one is now Japan. I came to this country after many years of reading, studying and translating its ancient poetry, but was never interested in modern Japan — what unending surprise it was, and is still, each and every day! Not so strange I took a camera, and I took it seriously. In all my capacities I have been involved in several ways (of course as spectator, but also as critic and promotor) with arts and photography, and have had the privilege of friendship with some great photographers, but before coming to Japan never felt the necessity of taking a photo. Here I feel it all the time. Photography is for me, first of all, an instrument, like a notebook: a way of reading (understanding, interpreting) Japan, a country of unending beauty, fascinating culture and wonderful people. But then photography is not only a document: it is an object itself, of contemplation; and a subject to think about and discuss — as you can see through my stream, I am not interested in a particular kind of photography: I do black and white, color, abstracts, streetphoto, portraits, candids, landscapes, minimals, use a lot of photoshop or none at all — everything can be good, or bad. Some of my photos have participated in collective shows and this year I had my first individual exhibit. I have created and administer several pools; the most recent is The Temporary Gallery. As I take a lot of photos and my photostream is huge, I maintain a selection at The Asiain Gallery — better to begin exploring there.
I write a blog on Things Japanese, in Spanish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
My 180 most faved photos are here;
they can be seen in chronological order here;
and in a random selection here.
Groups I have created:
The Temporary Gallery
Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 東京都文京区
The Ginza Pool
Fotos de Mexicanos aparecidas en Explore
Groups where I am an Administrator:
6+ Faves AND 100+ Views
The Street Photography Collective
Hit & Run Photography
The Beauty of Japan and China
The Top 20 Zen Pool
free web counter
Photos of aurelio.asiain (11)
- instagram a day 6,837 photos, 538 members
- iPhone 201,773 photos, 6,035 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 753,643 photos, 33,021 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 51,904 photos, 5,386 members
- Jacarandá 296 photos, 168 members
- Vietnam Images 128,703 photos, 6,990 members
- EN POS DE CARTIER-BRESSON / A LA RECHERCHE DE CARTIER-BRESSON / 3,512 photos, 286 members
- Light Concept 1,261 photos, 84 members
- 角のタバコ屋 68 photos, 25 members
- Concurso Neteando con Fernanda 2008 114 photos, 78 members
- Ne ho una uguale 36 photos, 43 members
- Focus on Feet 2,278 photos, 556 members
- Dragan Effect 1,606 photos, 751 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 23 photos, 27 members
- Autumn Anywhere 51,424 photos, 4,344 members
- Friends we love 752 photos, 102 members
- Worldnomads.com - World Festivals 2,190 photos, 343 members
- only reflections 3,708 photos, 576 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 15,733 photos, 3,737 members
- Photojournalism in Real Time 5,591 photos, 263 members
- Stinky ass crap group 543 photos, 191 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 317,716 photos, 8,437 members
- **Super Best Shots on Flickr**/ P1, A 3 ! NO COMMENT=BAN! 156,795 photos, 6,376 members
- Pink 2008 20,798 photos, 8,701 members
- Photographie and Fotografia 3,024 photos, 223 members
- Humour My Day 680 photos, 268 members
- In The Mood For Food 3,820 photos, 351 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,979 photos, 7,159 members
- the best illustrators ever 25,892 photos, 1,811 members
- Lucidreams 11,046 photos, 1,223 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 918 photos, 801 members
- Syria Israel 69 photos, 114 members
- Freezes Time 2,585 photos, 306 members
- ! Illustration Now ! 357,471 photos, 16,810 members
- Nature-Culture-Dialog 723 photos, 102 members
- *free shot*...no winners no losers...(post / comment / invite) 78,156 photos, 1,199 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 130,864 photos, 5,821 members
- LOVE IN RED 1,519 photos, 583 members
- Tone It Up 2,663 photos, 300 members
- Shibui (渋い) 14,409 photos, 671 members
- Japanese Bestiary 動物寓意譚 Bestiario japonés 17 photos, 12 members
- 太樂網の好攝園地-Photograph Garden(post 1 comment 1) 36,611 photos, 1,208 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 62,545 photos, 3,320 members
- CLOSED GROUP! 3,105 photos, 825 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 54,819 photos, 6,734 members
- Tokyo Art Beat 544 photos, 320 members
- Olé Que Bonito !! 56,248 photos, 2,273 members
- The Woman ♀ Adored 5,792 photos, 411 members
- it was delicious 4,832 photos, 221 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 4,931 photos, 221 members
"Ionushi has a quick and unerring eye, and--within his remarkable set, "Now Hanging On The Walls" (Sept. 2007)-- great consistency in his aesthetic, as well as a classic Japanese sense (perhaps absorbed from his adopted country's art) for spare design, geometric rhythm, and the telling detail, as understood through a fresh medium, in this case, photography.
This particular set is a delight to the eye, and a great privilege to return to, also as a means to refine one's own sense of how and what to see, as led by a man of artistic discernment, lively mind and keen eye.
Yet, what is remarkable is that if one turns to different sets, one finds again and again yet another side to this remarkable photographer, and engaging human being. He demonstrates the capacity to think and work in diverse genres, and manifest a range of aesthetic responses to the world around him. This is work to return to over and over again, for one will come away inspired, renewed, and challenged to do better oneself."
September 26th, 2007
"Ionushi is certainly one of the most intelligent, humorous and subtle photographers I've come across on Flickr. His photostream is like a journey and he will be your guide, making you see the world through his ever special perspective and clever remarks.
And as if that wasn't enough, he's a great contact too!
Enjoy the journey..."
March 26th, 2007
"I can't believe I'm the first one writing a testimonial for this gentleman. Diversity would be the one word to encapsulate his great work. Abstracts, portraits, street scenes, traditional Japan... the list of his subjects goes on and on.
I look forward to his visits to my stream when his comments show me things in my own work that I had not noticed before.
3 things shine out from his photos and his commenting;...integrity. intelligence, and humor.
Oh! and check out his poetic skill with his titles."
January 28th, 2007
- Aurelio Asiain
- August 2006
- México D.F.
- HIrakata-shi, Osaka, Japan
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Writer, Scholar, Professor
- margen del yodo