Howdy! :-) My name is ILINA. Originally from Bulgaria, I now live in NYC and I do web/UI design for a living (and for joy).
I got intrigued by photography in the summer of 2006 when I took some artistic snapshots with my point-and-shoot camera. Then in December 2006 I bought my first DSLR (a Canon 30D). Shortly after I discovered the incredibly talented photographers on Flickr, in particular self-portrait artists such as LaraJade, KedraLynn, Quizz and Miss Aniela. I fell in love with self-portrait photography and started experimenting.
Over time through Flickr I started getting interest from agencies such as Getty Images and Trevillion. My photography has since been used on over 200 book covers, and by companies such as Microsoft, MTV, American Express, ABC Studios, Marie Claire, Asiana Airlines... It was also recently published on the cover of The Village Voice!
Some of my recent book covers:
It's been truly amazing to share my journey into photography with other artists here on Flickr. Thank you all for your support and inspiration! It really pushed me.
- - - - - - - - LICENSING - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Interested in using any of my photos? You can find some on Getty Images.
Many more "book cover" style pictures are available at Trevillion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A small interview >
(It's translated in French, but below the French part there is the original in English).
What equipment do you use?
Ok here goes:
Canon 5D Mark II
My earliest work was done with a point-and-shoot Canon, I forget the make.
Studio lighting: 3 hot lamps, reflector, green screen, color filters, wireless switch, a flash...
Can I add you as a contact?
Sure thing, go ahead. I should mention though that I don't open my adds anymore, since they are a bit overwhelming. But you do not need my permission in order to make me a contact anyway. Of course it is a compliment to me if you do, so thank you!
What Photoshop filters / effects do you apply on your pictures?
Every picture is different, but I very rarely use filters. I do use gradients, color adjustments, layer blending and plenty of the dodging and burning tool. Sometimes I use more than one image to make one picture (only personal stock). When it comes to Photoshop there is no one solution to it all. Just experiment as much as you can, and online tutorials could be of great help. I cannot recommend any one in particular but if you want guidance on retouching such as "how to smooth skin" or "how to apply texture on an image" just try and google it - I have found this to be the most efficient way to learn new stuff just when you need it.
Since October 26, 2009:
- Clumsy Kids 153,014 photos, 4,600 members
- 52 / Self Project / 2014 152 photos, 35 members
- Book Cover Club 46,932 photos, 3,438 members
- PRO★DIGY 3,811 photos, 364 members
- flickr Stock Artists 1,572 photos, 105 members
- Female Self-Portrait Artists' Support Group (FSPASG) 4,432 photos, 266 members
- Flickr Hacks 437 photos, 19,335 members
- !Pink! 1,185 photos, 347 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 370,398 photos, 20,442 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 103,118 photos, 5,044 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 418,840 photos, 106,127 members
- Flickr Social Club 1,048,990 photos, 34,351 members
- Cafe Elite 83,602 photos, 4,069 members
- Photoshop Support Group 255,293 photos, 34,112 members
- The Challenge Factory - Friendly Photo Contests 92,095 photos, 5,019 members
- 100 Strangers 45,138 photos, 10,505 members
- *500x500 -- Best Of (CONTEST #022 OPEN - Post WINNER500 Pics. 3,731 photos, 544 members
- Favorites: 200 5,625 photos, 1,846 members
- Seasons’ Magic - Post 1 / Award 2 - Spring Time 31,464 photos, 3,363 members
- Minimalist Perfection 2,249 photos, 910 members
- In Her Own Image...fspasg book 2 128 photos, 69 members
- In Fine Style 42,525 photos, 4,623 members
- Favorites: 300 2,461 photos, 635 members
- 900+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 94 photos, 225 members
- 1.000+ Faves 260 photos, 231 members
- Flickr's 100 Best 92 photos, 8,266 members
- 1000+ Comments or Faves(invite only) 46 photos, 215 members
- Looks like a dream! (Invite only) 31 photos, 11 members
- Emotional Self 15,765 photos, 1,698 members
- NYC Mixr 11,216 photos, 322 members
- 500x500 306,822 photos, 7,523 members
- F.C.C.Contests ~ Anyone can play ~ 9,900 photos, 1,656 members
- Vision Quality 100 (P1/F2/C2) 41,989 photos, 2,612 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 730,242 photos, 28,771 members
- Winner's Circle Gallery 12,920 photos, 2,546 members
- Mega Shot Post 1, fave 2 4,405 photos, 7,878 members
- The Dictionary Of Image 4,221 photos, 1,554 members
- Sea & Ocean ( invite your contacts ) 286,114 photos, 22,068 members
- FAVES CONTEST - CLOSED TEMPORARILY! 3,407 photos, 2,661 members
- Natures Finest (Invited Images Only) 306,231 photos, 39,474 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,728 members
- 100+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 31,229 photos, 3,877 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 6,778 photos, 1,509 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 520 photos, 539 members
- 300+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 2,452 photos, 916 members
- Portrait Classics - COMPETITIONS to resume soon - Members Only 12,388 photos, 6,443 members
- Dramatic 45,651 photos, 3,251 members
- Poetic Landscapes 4,853 photos, 569 members
- Dramatic Skies 15,738 photos, 1,028 members
- ~*~Atmosphere~*~ 190,421 photos, 6,538 members
Angelo M™ says:
"Ilina‘s stream is as famous as flickr. I love surreal atmosphere and minimal location so she is one of my living exemple. Her skills in postproduction transforms a good photo in a masterpiece. Ah she’s so beautiful to stop your breath but this becomes marginal.."
July 15th, 2009
Miss Aniela says:
"I was first drawn to Ilina's photostream by its rich, robust, ruby tones, and the way in which she featured herself within bold colour palettes that were moving and poetic, yet with a sprinkling of almost Disney-like fantasy.
Ilina approaches photography from the point of view of a web designer and a former model, with a strong, inspiring processing style. Her progression in photography has been startingly steep over a seemingly short space of time. For me personally, my favourite images of hers feature Ilina as a kind of troubled, bewitching Sindy doll, who takes her own picture with the remote control visible in-frame, making us fully aware that she is controlling the image we see.
I was chuffed to spend some time with her in New York on a cold day in Dec '08, when I had the pleasure of getting to know much more about her in interviewing her (for a future project) and even shooting some collaborative self-portraits with her.
Thanks for being an inspiring artist, tour guide, and friend!"
March 26th, 2009
"When it comes to Ilina's work I love to pause and linger for long minutes. On the surface you can immediately sense the smile and invitation, but then looking more closely you find a deeper invitation. An invitation to see with the eyes of your soul as she reveals layer by layer the work that she carves from her soul. Her art is much more than a subjective thing ... more truly and more honestly, it simply is "an always beautiful thing" …and an always beautiful place to be."
March 30th, 2009
"Wow, i cannot believe that I haven't written any testimonial to Ilina. Man, I must have getting old. hehe. But anyway, Ilina's photos are breathtakingly beautiful. All of them look very well thought out, meticulously post processed. Her color pallet is also very great. She is a true talent!!!"
August 14th, 2008
Pu®e Poison says:
"What a sweet person
I love her pics she’s really got talent
Her style is unique, feminine and lovely
It’s a pleasure to have you as a contact my dear
All the best .. :)"
July 15th, 2008
""great. cool. amazing. excellent. sweet. intelligent. beautiful. talented. classy. smart. wonderful. brilliant. splendid. big-hearted. brave. outstanding. competent. sensual. captivating.
April 9th, 2008
Nick Today says:
"ilina is a constant inspiration. Her photography is nearly flawless and creatively combined with her graphic design skills. Her insights into all sorts of things photography or not are priceless! I don't know why i didn't write this a long time ago. Keep up everything that you do ilina!"
March 13th, 2008
"In a word . . . inspiring."
March 11th, 2008
"I have no idea how Ilina is doing this but every single shot in her amazing photostream is incredibly special. The little lovely details makes them special.
The great thing about her photos is that you can keep looking at them for hours - and you won't get tired!
Ilina, you are a great artist!"
February 16th, 2008
"i have always been expecting her next work! a really sensitive artist..."
November 2nd, 2007
"A totally gifted young lady"
June 30th, 2007
"Ilina is very talented photographer, her pictures are amazing in every detail. On her auto-portraits She captures her moods and thoughts perfectly. Completely Delightful person :) I always cannot wait for new shots. Keep it up!"
June 22nd, 2007
"A pleasure to browse through these wonderful photographs, by a very beautiful and talented woman."
June 17th, 2007
CHAD COOMBS says:
"awesome lighting and excellent post work.
great images all around and amazing self portraits.
portraits full of mood and amazing eye connection full of feeling and meaning.
all around hard stream to get out of your head. worth every second spent visiting."
May 8th, 2007
C.r.y.s.t.a.l iS BacK ! says:
"i adore your work...
you picture yourself with feelings..
you're an angel of all time..
god bless you..."
May 3rd, 2007
"when words doesn't work. There is a Ilina picture to say.
She is not only a pretty face. She is an artist in a complete meaning."
April 4th, 2007
alan e miller says:
"A true artist. I enjoy returning to her photos just to brighten up my day. She can take a photo with style, class, elegance, and of coarse with natural beauty and amaze you. Thanks Ilina for your contribution to the world of photography."
April 1st, 2007
"Feminine, beautiful, skilled and creative. To my mind Ilina is the perfect female photographer and model. She is graceful and unassuming.
Thank you Ilina for sharing what you have!"
March 8th, 2007
Patricio Rodríguez says:
"An Imaginative, seductive and ethereal goddess who always surprise us with her creativity and glamour."
March 13th, 2007
- ILINA S.
- January 2006
- New York, NY, USA
- Designer & Photographer