Co-founder of Shoot the Street with Joshua Evan Powell
My Site | About Me | Twitter | Google+ | Etsy | Facebook | Blurb | jpg
street art in new york city by photography by leanne staples | Make Your Own Book
Leanne Staples | Create Your Badge
"Ultimately, Photography is subversive not when it frightens, repels or even stigmatizes, but when it is pensive, when it thinks." - Roland Barthes
A Flickr friend gave me the name Queen of Manhattan Street Photography. What can I say? It stuck. Now I have to live up to the title! I've been called a few other things too! Lester Bangs said that I was "a scene-makin photog-lolligagin" who he wanted to go out with "but my cameras probably would've gotten in the way." Another of those things that I've been called is hard to keep up with. Might I suggest that you look at my photos by sets. I won't apologize for the pace at which I post. That would be like saying to a writer that you write too much! :-)
I do also take photos outside of Manhattan. If you've checked out my photos you'll see that I am obsessed with photos of buildings. And yes, these towering highrise buildings are very much phallic symbols. The majority of my photos are of New York City and Montreal. And my new favorite place to shoot is Brooklyn. There are also a number of photos from Boston, Barcelona, Bilbao, Madrid, Granada, San Francisco, Puerto Rico, Puerto Plata, Chicago, Portland, Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit and Washington D.C. to name only a few places. I am thoroughly urban and LOVE taking photos of the urban environment!
I have been passionate about photography for about 4 decades now. I use a variety of cameras including; Nikon D300, Ricoh GXR, Ricoh GRD3, Diana Mini, Leica C-Lux 3, Nikon D50, Nikon FE, Leica M4, Canon PowerShot A510, Olympus Stylus and a few others. Once upon a time, I was an absolute purist about analog. Now, I'm just about a total convert to digital. I can shoot 1000 photos in a day (not that I off do that) and no worry about the expense or the effect on the environment. Now it's possible to be a gonzo photog.
That said, to all those who dare to steal, I hope that you rot in hell. My version of hell is here in this lifetime on Earth and has nothing to do with any organized religion. Also, I appreciate appropriate critiques and comments. I do not appreciate negative criticism and I will promptly bar you if your post is negative.
ifotog, Queen of Manhattan Street Photography's favorite photos from other Flickr members (2,824)
- City Street Photography 1,322 photos, 185 members
- raindrops on my windscreen 54 photos, 10 members
- Pixielated Pixels Creative World Gallery 5,117 photos, 373 members
- the specific kind of point of view. 2,094 photos, 321 members
- NewYork-Cherbourg3450/Cherbourg-NewYork5528 9,834 photos, 221 members
- Louis Mendes - NYC Street Photographer 1st "official group" 49 photos, 53 members
- ((( transcend dépassez supere 超越しなさい ))) 97,250 photos, 5,276 members
- Fuji X-Pro1 87,031 photos, 3,172 members
- Humanity Based B&W Photography 1,282 photos, 87 members
- Contrast + 21,579 photos, 778 members
- Slow Shutterhand 96 photos, 15 members
- 514 - Montreal - Flickr 38,463 photos, 788 members
- Seattle Street 3,675 photos, 983 members
- Louis Mendes - NYC Street Photographer 46 photos, 60 members
- BLACK and WHITE Creative Artwork 175,058 photos, 6,465 members
- Ricohflex 3,078 photos, 382 members
- Double Exposure 109,600 photos, 27,337 members
- iPhoneography 401,503 photos, 12,754 members
- squareFormat 946,751 photos, 37,824 members
- Le Monde... en noir et blanc -a street photography group 7,070 photos, 330 members
- Street Photography Magazine 192,339 photos, 8,290 members
- New York City Art Scene 60 photos, 9 members
- Street PhotoClub 32,254 photos, 1,881 members
- Street Themes #17 - Balloons 5,412 photos, 324 members
- The Inspired Eye 25,060 photos, 473 members
- New York TCOTL workshop 60 photos, 12 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 276,940 photos, 20,138 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,227,813 photos, 68,256 members
- Street Photography Monochrome 11,964 photos, 5,634 members
- Street Noir 638 photos, 1,550 members
- Art and Inspiration - Manipulated Images 24,699 photos, 1,129 members
- Art Meets Photography 110,953 photos, 4,501 members
- Digital Streets 99 photos, 21 members
- Blurred images 5,768 photos, 255 members
- EDIT MY IMAGE 23 photos, 40 members
- Street & People Candid Pictures 107,169 photos, 2,587 members
- street.photography (resting) 1,710 photos, 293 members
- Ricoh GXR Users 24,143 photos, 545 members
- Whimsies, Flares and Echoes 11,687 photos, 2,046 members
- Focus is overrated - defocus! 5,353 photos, 2,326 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - See recent discussions! 34,437 photos, 3,438 members
- S Q U A R E S 103,486 photos, 3,917 members
- Flare Whore 5,852 photos, 1,068 members
- Lucid & Mysterious 149,516 photos, 6,790 members
- Film Addicts 97,593 photos, 1,338 members
- Nikon FE 23,195 photos, 1,924 members
- Self With Camera 19,099 photos, 4,350 members
- Shoot Into The Sun 85 photos, 72 members
- GAS WORKS PARK - SEATTLE 743 photos, 128 members
- SEATTLE B&W (no sepia) 6,210 photos, 666 members
"I approached Leanne through Flickr when I wanted to come to New York because I admire her work for a long time now. I wanted to do a photo walk with a photographer I admire and who could take me off the beaten track instead of just booking one of those run off the mill options available on the internet.
I wanted to see the real New York and from what I know, Leanne is certainly capable of showing that. Lucky for me she responded with much enthusiasm and we made a plan that included Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Dumbo, Coney Island, Brighton Beach), Queens (Long Island City), Manhattan (Lower East Side) and took two days to see.
Leanne is an enthusiastic, kind and truly inspiring personality and not only has she shown me that side of New York that I longed to see, she also taught me a lot about photography. I can say that I've learned to look with different eyes (although I could probably never see the way Leanne sees something and translates that into a photo that emanates soul and emotion - that is truly a gift), I've learned to control my camera better (I am no longer afraid of the Manual switch) but I also feel that I've gained a friend.
I'm coming back to New York, and when I do, I definitely want to go out there with Leanne again. And in the mean time I would like to recommend everyone to go on a photo walk with Leanne.
Claudia, the Netherlands"
April 13th, 2012
"Looking at Leanne’s photos is like music for my soul.
Her work not only reflects a skill that has been honed over four decades, but it also speaks of an artist with great character, honesty and a distinct gusto for life. It is difficult not to be inspired after careening through her wonderfully vibrant portfolio, which takes one on an architectural tour around the world from Barcelona to Montreal and back home to Manhattan again.
Thanks for being so passionate about your work. The world needs more people like you.
Author of 25 Lessons I’ve Learned about Photography,
the #1 Photo Essay and Artist Biography on Amazon.com for 2010!
November 3rd, 2010
Tansy Liverwort says:
"Leanne is one of the first people I started to follow on Flickr, as well as one of the first Flickr friends I actually met. I have been following her work for the past three years and have been delighted by how she has moved from an emphasis on architectural photography, to a focus on people in the street. Her work is always striking and captures the essence of what she see's. In addition to being an admirer of her work, I have also found her to be a generous and welcoming friend. I am delighted to know there is a kindred spirit walking the streets of cities capturing the zeitgeist of the times! I look forward to many more years of watching her work."
November 22nd, 2009
"I have been Leanne's friend for a few years. I admire her keen eye for our city scape and her passion and desire to learn and be the best photographer. As Royalty to the streets of New York.. She reigns supreme!
There is no doubt in my mind that she is one of the greatest here on flickr"
October 29th, 2009
"The Queen is the Queen! Her reign over flickr will never come to a close. She is a flickr original...a photog with so much experience that shows in her unique and fantastic shots all over New York City, Brooklyn, and beyond...I love her stream dearly, her wonderful personality and the combo of the two that makes her stream with the stunning output so fantastic.
by the way that lester bangs story is great!
Long live the Queen!"
September 1st, 2009
"Leanne is realy the Queen of Manhattan Street Photography. She did a great job with all her picture. Watching her stream is a pleasure and a source of inspiration. Thanks for sharing your great eyes and your skill.
Frederic from Toulouse, France"
May 15th, 2009
Paolo Cardone says:
"Andare in giro con Leanne e vederla fotografare e' piacevole.
Spesso non mi rendo conto di quello che l'ha colpito e che ha deciso di rendere permanente con la fotografia.
Vedere poi i suoi risultati spesso resto senza parole.
Trova situazioni e scene (che dal vivo sembrano normali e banali) molto spesso interessanti e ben realizzate.
Una vera Regina della strada.
February 8th, 2009
"Thanks for sharing yr love fr photography and fr NYC atmosphere :)
Karin Anna, Paris."
August 17th, 2008
"i really love ifotog's pictures because they are timeless !!
She takes "tranches de vies" with high talented creativity between social and architectural point of view"
August 13th, 2008
Giorgio Verdiani says:
"For sure is not that easy to write down a testimonial for a Queen... I can just say that her picture are clearly the result of a special passion, a great attention to the urban environment, her photography is clear, strong, sometimes direct and crude, but never boring and when is a well known point of view to be seen something personal is always present to remember you she is a Queen... ;-)"
August 7th, 2008
"She has a glimpse... or I would say that She is the glimpse...seeing beyond the ordinary life we all manage... an extraordinary walk along Manhattan (and not only)... the skill to capture what you never expect... love your work"
July 29th, 2008
"I love your photostream of street scenes! Keep posting more! Bravo!"
June 29th, 2008
• CHRISTIAN • says:
"Leanne is really, REALLY, the Queen of Manhattan Street Photography. She's picturing Manhattan and New York City like no one else, showing us NY icons from a different perspective as well as places off the beaten tracks. She's experimenting and she's obviously having fun doing it! She always surprises me and my daily visits on flickr would'nt be complete without a look at what's new on Leanne's photostream."
June 7th, 2008
"If she was in Glasgow right now she would be running the photography scene, as shes not im keeping a place on the bench for her.I get so much inspiration from your photography, and will always enjoy it as long as you snap.x"
May 30th, 2008
"Leanne's work is full of excitement and experimentation; two things that that I find both appealing and important in an ever growing body of work. A lot of times it seems that the images she takes run parallel to mine! I find this both humorous and quite the honor. We seem to miss each other by a few days! All in all, her subject matter is always interesting, her technique is excellent, and I value the fact that I can see her work continue to evolve and inspire me to evolve as well."
May 12th, 2008
"Leanne is a great street photographer. I always enjoy seeing her newest pictures on Flickr. She shows scenes by her own point of view which makes them so interesing."
May 4th, 2008
"Leanne, I love your photographs. You capture not only the visual, but, I feel the soul of the subject you shoot. That takes a person who cares about the subject and it is easy to see that you do. Keep shooting my friend.
March 21st, 2008
The Challenge says:
""Dear Leanne, Thank you for beautiful photo safari through your city. Your spontaneous and natural often very artistic photos are different and I guess much more authentic presentation than what we are used to see from NY.""
July 8th, 2007
"A fantastic vision on architectural works is not the more important thing that Leanne moves us. The most important thing and what really counts is her friendship, the time that she dedicates and the passion that moves you for the photography! Thank you my friend for offering us all of that!! Bruno"
January 27th, 2007
- Leanne Staples
- August 2006
- New York
- New York City, U.S.
- I am:
- photographer, artist & licensed NYC tour guide
- Leanne Staples photography