From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Chrome Never Dies! 20,078 photos, 335 members
- Flickerites-NO PEOPLE PLEASE 287,731 photos, 11,484 members
- Bicycle Addicts 48,520 photos, 2,049 members
- Oldsmobile 14,809 photos, 745 members
- Orphaned Marques 7,463 photos, 69 members
- Everything food 447 photos, 305 members
- Jigsaws 12,192 photos, 489 members
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 21,655 photos, 550 members
- *Auto Retro* 160,638 photos, 1,813 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 189,780 photos, 1,216 members
- Edsel 2,602 photos, 318 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 5,037 photos, 2,370 members
- Yoyoing 681 photos, 135 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 17,900 photos, 1,460 members
- Dogs, I love you 107,204 photos, 6,590 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 10,669 photos, 373 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 10,397 photos, 1,287 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 678 photos, 87 members
- The Packard Project 8,551 photos, 311 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 35,433 photos, 2,452 members
- Paris 421,462 photos, 49,163 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,473 photos, 461 members
- in explore 754,426 photos, 66,743 members
- Canon Imagination 827,331 photos, 22,498 members
- flickr (unofficial) 5,214,220 photos, 109,890 members
- Project Weather 640,371 photos, 94,117 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 129,831 photos, 7,024 members
- Only German Cars 164,134 photos, 3,388 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 25,018 photos, 1,128 members
- American Muscle Cars 68,437 photos, 3,232 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 769,413 photos, 18,556 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 70,619 photos, 561 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,792 photos, 6,351 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,051 photos, 13,498 members
- BUICK 16,056 photos, 665 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,509 photos, 148 members
- Best Car Show Photos 28,188 photos, 343 members
- All About Buicks 11,857 photos, 669 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,007 photos, 67 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,663 photos, 398 members
- Mopar or no car 28,684 photos, 673 members
- LAB Color 444 photos, 110 members
- Pure Michigan 28,020 photos, 435 members
- Absolute Michigan 229,347 photos, 3,788 members
- Favorites: 45 35,165 photos, 3,828 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 10,476 photos, 395 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 15,230 photos, 1,498 members
- Disney Balloons 569 photos, 129 members
- FishEye 161,210 photos, 14,609 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 408,046 photos, 105,325 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)