From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Flickerites-NO PEOPLE PLEASE 272,245 photos, 9,765 members
- Bicycle Addicts 46,774 photos, 2,033 members
- Oldsmobile 14,387 photos, 727 members
- Orphaned Marques 7,394 photos, 69 members
- Everything food 335 photos, 288 members
- Jigsaws 11,496 photos, 474 members
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 20,044 photos, 538 members
- *Auto Retro* 152,475 photos, 1,755 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 177,509 photos, 1,182 members
- Edsel 2,569 photos, 309 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 4,769 photos, 2,300 members
- Yoyoing 681 photos, 135 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 14,473 photos, 1,280 members
- Dogs, I love you 99,132 photos, 6,468 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 10,388 photos, 369 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 8,650 photos, 1,164 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 676 photos, 88 members
- The Packard Project 7,632 photos, 308 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 35,055 photos, 2,449 members
- Paris 411,296 photos, 48,783 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,400 photos, 451 members
- in explore 684,991 photos, 60,960 members
- Canon Imagination 835,271 photos, 22,401 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,828,267 photos, 106,638 members
- Project Weather 643,482 photos, 93,964 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 123,681 photos, 6,849 members
- Only German Cars 153,005 photos, 3,337 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 23,753 photos, 1,119 members
- American Muscle Cars 66,927 photos, 3,206 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 726,346 photos, 18,042 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 62,691 photos, 524 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,823 photos, 6,419 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,106 photos, 13,598 members
- BUICK 15,499 photos, 653 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,476 photos, 147 members
- Best Car Show Photos 23,664 photos, 331 members
- All About Buicks 11,374 photos, 642 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,030 photos, 67 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,468 photos, 393 members
- Mopar or no car 27,418 photos, 658 members
- LAB Color 445 photos, 113 members
- Pure Michigan 26,538 photos, 431 members
- Absolute Michigan 224,559 photos, 3,772 members
- Favorites: 45 29,054 photos, 3,581 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 9,858 photos, 390 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 15,067 photos, 1,501 members
- Disney Balloons 570 photos, 119 members
- FishEye 159,156 photos, 14,506 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 409,647 photos, 105,638 members
- car shows 377,630 photos, 5,446 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)