From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Everything food 45 photos, 105 members
- Jigsaws 9,844 photos, 453 members
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 18,576 photos, 524 members
- *Auto Retro* 133,207 photos, 1,639 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 146,381 photos, 1,070 members
- Edsel 2,415 photos, 301 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 4,004 photos, 2,095 members
- Yoyoing 676 photos, 134 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 7,966 photos, 931 members
- Dogs, I love you 80,162 photos, 6,154 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 9,729 photos, 364 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 5,155 photos, 932 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 661 photos, 77 members
- The Packard Project 6,695 photos, 300 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 33,692 photos, 2,429 members
- Paris 387,092 photos, 47,146 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,309 photos, 434 members
- in explore 534,482 photos, 49,386 members
- Canon Imagination 845,025 photos, 22,232 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,002,799 photos, 101,384 members
- Project Weather 645,389 photos, 92,161 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 109,257 photos, 6,434 members
- Only German Cars 129,980 photos, 3,162 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 22,279 photos, 1,093 members
- American Muscle Cars 62,951 photos, 3,134 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 616,186 photos, 16,200 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 47,826 photos, 398 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,870 photos, 6,502 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,198 photos, 13,751 members
- BUICK 13,907 photos, 634 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,416 photos, 143 members
- Best Car Show Photos 19,401 photos, 302 members
- All About Buicks 10,117 photos, 614 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,030 photos, 67 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,299 photos, 377 members
- Mopar or no car 25,291 photos, 636 members
- LAB Color 445 photos, 114 members
- Pure Michigan 22,926 photos, 404 members
- Absolute Michigan 212,309 photos, 3,705 members
- Favorites: 45 19,667 photos, 3,064 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 8,328 photos, 385 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 14,585 photos, 1,497 members
- Disney Balloons 561 photos, 113 members
- FishEye 152,809 photos, 14,298 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 412,905 photos, 105,848 members
- car shows 311,895 photos, 4,957 members
- Classic/collectable cars and motorcycles 291,663 photos, 14,310 members
- VehiclePhotography 126,969 photos, 563 members
- Vintage Disney 1,071 photos, 289 members
- Best of Kodachrome & Ektachrome. 2,905 photos, 193 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)