From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 17,901 photos, 518 members
- *Auto Retro* 124,870 photos, 1,562 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 134,026 photos, 1,008 members
- Edsel 2,340 photos, 299 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 3,715 photos, 1,960 members
- Yoyoing 677 photos, 133 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 5,215 photos, 743 members
- Dogs, I love you 69,485 photos, 5,933 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 9,302 photos, 353 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 3,986 photos, 839 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 608 photos, 73 members
- The Packard Project 6,289 photos, 295 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 33,089 photos, 2,415 members
- Paris 373,539 photos, 45,903 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,285 photos, 423 members
- in explore 467,360 photos, 42,728 members
- Canon Imagination 856,165 photos, 22,041 members
- flickr (unofficial) 3,589,377 photos, 97,979 members
- Project Weather 616,549 photos, 88,642 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 104,302 photos, 6,179 members
- Only German Cars 118,043 photos, 3,041 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 21,804 photos, 1,082 members
- American Muscle Cars 61,459 photos, 3,111 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 571,106 photos, 15,422 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 41,362 photos, 342 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,900 photos, 6,573 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,243 photos, 13,860 members
- BUICK 13,652 photos, 622 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,383 photos, 144 members
- Best Car Show Photos 17,798 photos, 285 members
- All About Buicks 9,674 photos, 595 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,030 photos, 65 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,183 photos, 369 members
- Mopar or no car 25,135 photos, 629 members
- LAB Color 445 photos, 115 members
- Pure Michigan 21,810 photos, 395 members
- Absolute Michigan 207,124 photos, 3,660 members
- Favorites: 45 15,625 photos, 2,789 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 7,576 photos, 379 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 14,290 photos, 1,487 members
- Disney Balloons 550 photos, 108 members
- FishEye 149,225 photos, 14,123 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 415,033 photos, 105,942 members
- car shows 280,200 photos, 4,751 members
- Classic/collectable cars and motorcycles 277,664 photos, 14,100 members
- VehiclePhotography 108,809 photos, 516 members
- Vintage Disney 1,071 photos, 287 members
- Best of Kodachrome & Ektachrome. 2,773 photos, 192 members
- Mercedes-Benz World ( The Mighty ) 66,131 photos, 4,017 members
- HDR Hot Rods 5,508 photos, 174 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)