From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Flickerites-NO PEOPLE PLEASE 288,349 photos, 11,231 members
- Bicycle Addicts 48,001 photos, 2,043 members
- Oldsmobile 14,683 photos, 738 members
- Orphaned Marques 7,444 photos, 69 members
- Everything food 430 photos, 303 members
- Jigsaws 12,000 photos, 487 members
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 21,376 photos, 547 members
- *Auto Retro* 158,476 photos, 1,796 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 186,994 photos, 1,204 members
- Edsel 2,591 photos, 314 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 4,944 photos, 2,354 members
- Yoyoing 681 photos, 134 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 17,128 photos, 1,412 members
- Dogs, I love you 104,737 photos, 6,552 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 10,563 photos, 372 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 9,930 photos, 1,253 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 677 photos, 88 members
- The Packard Project 8,435 photos, 310 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 35,359 photos, 2,447 members
- Paris 419,235 photos, 49,064 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,455 photos, 460 members
- in explore 736,388 photos, 65,295 members
- Canon Imagination 828,931 photos, 22,473 members
- flickr (unofficial) 5,112,166 photos, 109,008 members
- Project Weather 640,655 photos, 94,090 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 127,164 photos, 6,969 members
- Only German Cars 161,187 photos, 3,367 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 24,801 photos, 1,126 members
- American Muscle Cars 67,820 photos, 3,226 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 758,055 photos, 18,393 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 68,329 photos, 548 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,796 photos, 6,363 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,068 photos, 13,520 members
- BUICK 15,813 photos, 663 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,503 photos, 148 members
- Best Car Show Photos 27,029 photos, 338 members
- All About Buicks 11,730 photos, 661 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,007 photos, 67 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,615 photos, 397 members
- Mopar or no car 28,170 photos, 671 members
- LAB Color 444 photos, 110 members
- Pure Michigan 27,620 photos, 434 members
- Absolute Michigan 228,020 photos, 3,785 members
- Favorites: 45 33,454 photos, 3,779 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 10,234 photos, 394 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 15,130 photos, 1,498 members
- Disney Balloons 568 photos, 126 members
- FishEye 160,544 photos, 14,580 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 408,494 photos, 105,385 members
- car shows 402,031 photos, 5,534 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)