From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Oldsmobile 13,816 photos, 715 members
- Orphaned Marques 7,275 photos, 67 members
- Everything food 233 photos, 264 members
- Jigsaws 10,944 photos, 467 members
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 19,513 photos, 532 members
- *Auto Retro* 145,733 photos, 1,718 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 165,164 photos, 1,144 members
- Edsel 2,450 photos, 303 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 4,394 photos, 2,215 members
- Yoyoing 679 photos, 133 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 12,123 photos, 1,178 members
- Dogs, I love you 93,601 photos, 6,359 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 10,099 photos, 369 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 7,338 photos, 1,078 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 665 photos, 84 members
- The Packard Project 7,255 photos, 308 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 33,486 photos, 2,443 members
- Paris 404,387 photos, 48,267 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,346 photos, 446 members
- in explore 632,576 photos, 57,085 members
- Canon Imagination 839,433 photos, 22,370 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,546,453 photos, 104,803 members
- Project Weather 645,130 photos, 93,671 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 118,917 photos, 6,734 members
- Only German Cars 146,543 photos, 3,302 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 23,249 photos, 1,109 members
- American Muscle Cars 65,525 photos, 3,188 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 682,971 photos, 17,366 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 56,855 photos, 482 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,842 photos, 6,450 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,145 photos, 13,654 members
- BUICK 14,829 photos, 645 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,452 photos, 146 members
- Best Car Show Photos 21,843 photos, 323 members
- All About Buicks 10,933 photos, 633 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,030 photos, 67 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,521 photos, 386 members
- Mopar or no car 26,329 photos, 650 members
- LAB Color 445 photos, 115 members
- Pure Michigan 25,300 photos, 421 members
- Absolute Michigan 220,090 photos, 3,748 members
- Favorites: 45 25,408 photos, 3,415 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 9,420 photos, 390 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 14,859 photos, 1,503 members
- Disney Balloons 564 photos, 116 members
- FishEye 157,194 photos, 14,452 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 410,923 photos, 105,726 members
- car shows 353,450 photos, 5,292 members
- Classic/collectable cars and motorcycles 307,819 photos, 14,595 members
- VehiclePhotography 163,190 photos, 606 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)