From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Oldsmobile 14,083 photos, 722 members
- Orphaned Marques 7,316 photos, 68 members
- Everything food 273 photos, 283 members
- Jigsaws 11,174 photos, 468 members
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 19,704 photos, 534 members
- *Auto Retro* 148,153 photos, 1,736 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 169,776 photos, 1,155 members
- Edsel 2,457 photos, 305 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 4,663 photos, 2,253 members
- Yoyoing 680 photos, 135 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 13,061 photos, 1,223 members
- Dogs, I love you 95,737 photos, 6,389 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 10,185 photos, 370 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 7,828 photos, 1,106 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 666 photos, 85 members
- The Packard Project 7,538 photos, 308 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 34,827 photos, 2,445 members
- Paris 407,008 photos, 48,468 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,366 photos, 450 members
- in explore 652,392 photos, 58,557 members
- Canon Imagination 837,823 photos, 22,377 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,650,190 photos, 105,494 members
- Project Weather 644,340 photos, 93,838 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 121,013 photos, 6,775 members
- Only German Cars 149,589 photos, 3,313 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 23,439 photos, 1,112 members
- American Muscle Cars 66,080 photos, 3,198 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 699,630 photos, 17,615 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 59,183 photos, 502 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,835 photos, 6,442 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,135 photos, 13,636 members
- BUICK 15,186 photos, 645 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,463 photos, 147 members
- Best Car Show Photos 22,398 photos, 325 members
- All About Buicks 11,074 photos, 632 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,030 photos, 67 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,555 photos, 389 members
- Mopar or no car 26,803 photos, 653 members
- LAB Color 445 photos, 114 members
- Pure Michigan 25,749 photos, 426 members
- Absolute Michigan 221,590 photos, 3,758 members
- Favorites: 45 26,542 photos, 3,473 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 9,581 photos, 391 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 14,997 photos, 1,503 members
- Disney Balloons 565 photos, 116 members
- FishEye 158,019 photos, 14,482 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 410,358 photos, 105,691 members
- car shows 363,780 photos, 5,345 members
- Classic/collectable cars and motorcycles 311,219 photos, 14,643 members
- VehiclePhotography 169,436 photos, 611 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)