From Kodachromes to RAW...
My first "real" camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 SLR and FD 50mm f/1.4 lens purchased new in 1976. Looking through the Canon's viewfinder for the first time I realized something was wrong as I could not advance the film without poking my right eye. This was due to the fact that I was looking through the lens with my left eye. Clearly the AE-1 was designed for right eye use. For the first time I realized that I was "left-eyed". Maybe this life long left-eyed perspective influences how I see images in the viewfinder and maybe even in my head as well...
Over the next several years a handful of Canon FD lenses were added to capture my sons as they grew up. All in all, thousands of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and a few Agfa slides were exposed with the AE-1 and FD lenses.
In December, 1993 I began the migration to the Canon EOS system. I purchased a new 35mm Canon EOS 5 (A2E) SLR body and a couple basic EF zoom lenses. Over time I have been upgrading to Canon's superb L lenses and have never looked back. My EOS 5 film body, now over 20 years old, has a few thousand exposures on it and is still perfect in every performance aspect. The innovative Canon EOS 5 "Eye Control" focus is a treat to use.
At age 57 I began the digital SLR journey acquiring a new Canon EOS 30D body in October, 2007 whilst recovering from quadruple bypass heart surgery. By June, 2008, I added a new Canon 5D and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens combination to the kit. The digital EOS 30D and 5D paired with Canon's L lenses are truly outstanding.
Since January, 2005 all my older Kodak, Agfa and Fuji 35mm slides were scanned with a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV then imported into Photoshop. The Kodachrome slides have held up especially well over decades of storage.
I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 5 with a Wacom Intuos4 pen and tablet. Photomatix Pro, Topaz Adjust, Fractalius and Adobe Labs Pixel Bender plug-ins have also been fun in the post processing mix.
Thanks for viewing my Flickr photo submissions and especially for providing your comments and feedback. Lastly, please remember that all of my Flickr images are copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use any of them before doing so.
1993 35mm Canon EOS 5 w/ VG-10 Vertical Grip & E1 Strap
2007 Canon EOS 30D w/ BG-E2N Battery Grip & E1 Strap
2008 Canon EOS 5D w/ BG-E4 Battery Grip & E1 Strap
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, Canon 430EX ii Speedlite, 2007 Canon Powershot 700 IS
(My Canon Wish List: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L Tilt Shift lens)
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
Photos of hz536n/George Thomas (1)
- Long in the Roof(station wagons) 18,223 photos, 520 members
- *Auto Retro* 128,629 photos, 1,606 members
- Classic Vehicles - Young and Old 139,802 photos, 1,037 members
- Edsel 2,338 photos, 299 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 3,844 photos, 2,021 members
- Yoyoing 677 photos, 133 members
- Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS 6,540 photos, 810 members
- Dogs, I love you 74,006 photos, 6,002 members
- Hot Rods with Flames 9,514 photos, 357 members
- Aerial HQ Worldwide 4,604 photos, 873 members
- Detroit Packard Plant Ruins 607 photos, 76 members
- The Packard Project 6,470 photos, 297 members
- Kite Aerial Photography (KAP) 33,382 photos, 2,421 members
- Paris 380,207 photos, 46,550 members
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 3,317 photos, 427 members
- in explore 496,427 photos, 45,696 members
- Canon Imagination 850,329 photos, 22,121 members
- flickr (unofficial) 3,779,798 photos, 99,454 members
- Project Weather 635,813 photos, 90,793 members
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro 106,859 photos, 6,284 members
- Only German Cars 123,676 photos, 3,089 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 21,977 photos, 1,087 members
- American Muscle Cars 62,245 photos, 3,123 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 593,151 photos, 15,790 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 45,944 photos, 361 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,894 photos, 6,549 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,227 photos, 13,819 members
- BUICK 13,747 photos, 628 members
- [classic car tail lights] 2,400 photos, 142 members
- Best Car Show Photos 18,761 photos, 290 members
- All About Buicks 9,887 photos, 603 members
- Hot Rod Power Tour 1,030 photos, 65 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,252 photos, 372 members
- Mopar or no car 24,944 photos, 633 members
- LAB Color 445 photos, 114 members
- Pure Michigan 22,287 photos, 398 members
- Absolute Michigan 209,844 photos, 3,682 members
- Favorites: 45 17,356 photos, 2,900 members
- One Hundred Thousand Club (100,000 Photostream Views) 7,782 photos, 380 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 14,451 photos, 1,492 members
- Disney Balloons 553 photos, 111 members
- FishEye 150,780 photos, 14,199 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 414,036 photos, 105,928 members
- car shows 298,303 photos, 4,840 members
- Classic/collectable cars and motorcycles 285,482 photos, 14,211 members
- VehiclePhotography 116,821 photos, 540 members
- Vintage Disney 1,071 photos, 289 members
- Best of Kodachrome & Ektachrome. 2,822 photos, 190 members
- Mercedes-Benz World ( The Mighty ) 67,579 photos, 4,080 members
- HDR Hot Rods 5,601 photos, 178 members
"I happened upon George's work with a flickr search on other Oklahoma-area photo enthusiast. It was a good find. I often look for inspiration from the work I see others do. Sometimes it's just seeing the subject matter, rather than any one photo. But when I feel frustrated with my own work, I like seeing what others are coming up with and places they are photographing, especially if its somewhere nearby that I can drive to and photograph as well.
George clearly has a great eye for what is artistic. I have gone over the photo sets and found superb work in a wide range of subjects. Great job."
January 31st, 2009
- George Thomas
- August 2007
- Flint, Michigan
- Prescott, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Automotive Industry (Retired)