I love every minute I'm out there in nature, trying to capture the beauty that's all around. I'm not out for the perfect shot; I'm out for a picture that I like. What I like might not necessarily be what you like, mind you. But it's like 'trophy hunting'. Sometimes you just know, when you push that shutter, "yes!".
To me, photography is not all about resolutions, pixels, or any other technical aspect. I still believe that the most important criterium is if the picture touches me, moves me, evokes an emotion. It can be many things, sheer beauty or maybe just the opposite, savageness, adorable, sad, a ray of light, a pose or a specific moment. Or maybe just because it puts a smile on my face. Passion should go beyond technology!
I often get the question how I get the animals to pose for me.The answer is simple: wait, wait, wait and ...... wait some more. Your feet get sore, your back aches, your arm muscles start to tremble from holding up the camera and lens. But in the end, when I get home with a picture that I like and that does the animal the right it deserves, to me it's worth it every time! I like to spend time with an animal. For me the 'see and shoot' thing doesn't work. You almost always miss that one special moment. Invariably, when you take your time and give the animal the opportunity to get used to your presence, they will do something that I would like to capture! Respect is a keyword here!
When I finally capture that one picture, it is often the only pick from a series of hundreds, but often enough a couple of thousand pictures.
Photo was taken by Allen Koppe, Cinematographer, on Oshima Island, during the shooting of the Canon Japan Corporate Branding Commercial. Can you imagine that I was chosen for this because they had seen my Flickr page!!
I use Canon cameras (1D X mark II, 1D mark IV, 7D, 40D, 30D and 400D) and Canon lenses (ranging from 10 to 600mm).
Other things: Canon extenders 1.4 and 2.0.
Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Several tripods (Gitzo and Benro) and several swingheads (Wimberley)
visited 56 states (24.8%)Create your own visited map of The World
Photos of hvhe1 (6)
- EXCLUSIVE: THE VERY BEST OF FLICKR 3,739 photos, 318 members
- Café Renee: ☼ A Gourmet Menu ☼ 2,722 photos, 199 members
- Nederlandstalig vriendenforum 137,882 photos, 1,486 members
- Flickr's Chosen Few ( F.C.F. ) !!TOTALLY CLOSED!! . 12,953 photos, 3,516 members
- Mastery of Light (on invitation only) 15,798 photos, 3,016 members
- NATURALMENTE 303,617 photos, 8,718 members
- Nature of Wildlife 65,350 photos, 1,411 members
- Best Nature Shot Of The Day 8,298 photos, 235 members
- World Wildlife Showcase (By invitation only) 11,421 photos, 586 members
- NATURE'S SPIRIT (by invitation) (post 1/award 1) 38,179 photos, 1,920 members
- Soar in Nature’s Spirit (invitation only) 12,672 photos, 700 members
- MACRO-EMOTIONS One post a day. Comment before post!! 13,918 photos, 817 members
- Ik hou van Holland,.. I Love Holland ! 98,484 photos, 1,549 members
- All about World 228,153 photos, 2,341 members
- Finest Nature / (admin-invited) 17,634 photos, 1,768 members
- @ Large and Out of Africa 24,668 photos, 655 members
- Top Photography Group Closed ~RIP George 39,130 photos, 3,371 members
- Scenics & Wilderness (Admin Invite Only) 3,508 photos, 280 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,477,166 photos, 74,773 members
- Photographer's Choice~Hall of Fame (Invitation) 22,303 photos, 2,519 members
- SJohnson's Fauna ~ Add 1 foto, Award 2! ~ 173,545 photos, 8,051 members
- Flickr Big Cats 137,584 photos, 11,931 members
- in loving memory of imapix 133 photos, 145 members
- *Little stories-pics with "soul"*:Invited photos only ! 24,816 photos, 1,523 members
- The Serious Nature Photographer (50+ Favorites, P1:A2) - Sweeper 1,124 photos, 259 members
- Wildlife, KEEP IT WILD!!! 79,368 photos, 1,068 members
- *ABW* Gallery - by invitation only 1,028 photos, 1,504 members
- Excellence In Animal Photography (High Quality Images Only) 16,607 photos, 870 members
- high quality nature 153,690 photos, 3,854 members
- Love of the Great Outdoors 78,236 photos, 1,631 members
- Earth - Home 84,529 photos, 2,608 members
- Wild Life Shots (POST 1 Comment 2) 60,199 photos, 3,394 members
- Magnificent Southern African Wildlife 9,043 photos, 742 members
- Bratanesque (invited pics only) 3,187 photos, 625 members
- Capture Nature / No human elements / No Zoo shots 68,292 photos, 3,302 members
- Nature's Call. 166,763 photos, 4,047 members
- Gelderland 12,307 photos, 679 members
- #4 PLATINUM WILDLIFE/ Post 1 - Award 1 (P2-A2) with CODE 33,713 photos, 2,557 members
- Kris Kros Contacts 142,320 photos, 3,993 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 196,579 photos, 26,597 members
- Fantastic Wildlife 67,985 photos, 2,907 members
- Best of Wild Animals (No insects or snakes) 26,160 photos, 1,570 members
- "Winged Wonders - Elite" (Admin Invite Only) Post 1, Award 2 3,562 photos, 546 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 21,391 photos, 931 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 114,505 photos, 22,258 members
- "Winged Wonders"-- Birds Only-- Invite Only (Post 1, Award 2) 39,929 photos, 5,065 members
- Bird Watching Group (BWG): Post 1 : Award 2 245,115 photos, 9,511 members
- Vision Quality Group (P1/F2/C2) 97,224 photos, 4,653 members
- A "Quality Only" Club 13,933 photos, 2,077 members
- Birds Photos 3,011,443 photos, 88,010 members
"Jemig, wat een foto's. Geweldig zeg. Ik blijf er naar kijken. Beeldartiest."
February 5th, 2018
permissible chin says:
"Hennie you have a gift.. your images give life and hope to the people that lost the hope by sickness.. your spirit.. and your view on nature is a sure, pure and beautifull thing..
thank you.. thank you for the wonders you give..
April 12th, 2012
Jean-Luc Peluchon says:
"Outstanding photostream! Congratulations!"
January 27th, 2018
Judy & Paul says:
"Hennie's images acquaint the viewer intimately with the character and beauty of nature's creatures seen not in zoos, but in their natural habitat. She is a flickr favorite of ours, not only for her outstanding ability to use a camera, but for her warmth and generosity of spirit. We admire you greatly Hennie and envy your incredible, memorable experiences in the wildlands of Africa.
Judy & Paul"
December 27th, 2009
"Hennie is a genuine genius :) and thats not a tall claim at all :)
I love how she lays it out clearly to us that getting a shoot is not just luck but lot of painful waiting and its about presenting a shot which brings the best out of that particular being :) you have been a inspiration to many wild life photographers and you continue to do so.
Thank you for going thru all the hardship to bring and share with us such exceptional work :) your photostream is a joy and its funny but a pride when ppl fight to be the first one to comment :D
November 2nd, 2009
"Wij hebben Hennie leren kennen op de Hoge Veluwe als een hele sympatieke meid. Tijdens de hertenbronst 2009 in nationale park "De Hoge Veluwe" Vaak stonden wij naast elkaar te fotograferen. Vaak Dat was gezellig en daar ontvingen wij ook Haar vistekaartje. Bij Thuiskomst hebben wij Haar fotomatriaal Ademloos bekeken. In een woord meer dan geweldig hoe Zij ontmoette licht weet te spelen Daarbij Het juiste moment afwachtend en soms lekker babbelend Samen met Denis Rademaker. Een foto van Hennie uit die tijd herrinerd ons aan die mooie momenten."
October 6th, 2009
"Een 'stream' met prachtige foto's Hennie
Elke keer opnieuw ben ik weer onder de indruk van je simpele foto's die precies de kern raken. Er staat precies op wat erop moet staan, in perfecte composities en kleurstellingen.
Ik vraag me bij jou nooit af waarom ik naar een foto zit te kijken. Het is altijd gelijk duidelijk.
May 18th, 2009
"The exquisite beauty of Hennie's images leaves me in awe every time I visit...!
So beware...if you visit once......... you will become addict!
Bravo Hennie...and ..................Encore!
February 27th, 2009
"I never cease to be amazed at the quality of shots here. The South African wildlife shots are simply outstanding. Inspired"
February 8th, 2009
"Hennie has a talent, and is an artist in the truest sense of the word. Every photo captures something beyond just the simple image, she captures action, drama, words, emotion, and countless other features: things I and many other photographers aspire to capture. You may or may not be familiar with her work, but either way I recommend visiting and re-visiting each and every image in her photostream, and simply enjoy the artistry."
April 23rd, 2008
Laurie York says:
"How can I begin to describe Hennie's exquisite photographs? It's as if she focuses the camera with her heart! I've have never seen wildlife photographed with such passion, reverence, and skill. Hennie's presence on Flickr is a rare gift to us all..."
January 21st, 2008
BASUDEB RAIGANJ says:
I am again grateful to U for introducing me to the wider world of Photography specially to the Animal Kingdom.
July 6th, 2007
"Hennie doesn't post pictures of animals, she posts portraits of nature. Each and every one of them are sharp, remarkable works of art. Her images are the payoff of an endless reserve of patience. A reserve which allows her images to convey atmosphere, feeling, or emotion, all through her understanding and mastery of her subject, her surroundings, and her equipment.
Keep up the good work, Hennie, we all look forward to your next posting."
April 19th, 2007
Daniel Hernanz Ramos says:
"Hennie you are an artist. Your captures are very very specials and elegance! Always amaze me.
The Queen of Animals"
April 11th, 2007
"Simply put, Hennie is one of my favourite nature photographers. Many of her pictures are awesome in every aspect of picture taking. Fantastic photography!"
February 12th, 2007
"Hennie hasn't been on Flickr long but her photo's show she has had a love for photography and animals for a long time. I think what I like best is that Hennie's comments are as thoughtfull as her photos. At first she tricked me into going Ape over her HotLips Orangutang. Only till later sending me back to my Baboon Therapist halfway coconuts over the misguided Treetop fantasies I had developed. But I forgive her."
November 3rd, 2006
"Hennie van Heerden has absolutely gorgeous photos! I only dream of visitng the places that she portrays so beautifully. I hope your adventures never end. Keep posting for all of us to enjoy!
October 12th, 2006
"I just recently came to know hvhe1 work and wow!! what a find..I am so honored to have her as a contract..Her work is continuously amazing..You can tell she puts her heart and soul into her work just by the Exquisite photo's she takes..I look forward to viewing her photostream everyday..Thank you so much for sharing
October 12th, 2006
- Hennie van Heerden
- September 2006
- The Netherlands
- I am:
- Female and Taken