"Wonder is the heaviest element on the periodic table. Even a tiny fleck of it stops time." Diane Ackerman
Well, after 6 (sheesh) years on flickr I thought and ugrade of my profile was in order.... 8/11
My love of nature initiated my passion to shoot a camera so many years ago in a garden I miss terribly. Now I find myself in an urban environment and I am challenged to look much more carefully to find the beauty and the interesting moments that document life generally.
I've posted off and on over the past few years but I still consider Flickr my home on the web and I will be forever grateful to the founders for being brilliant and humble enough to listen to their users. I am equally grateful to the contacts I've made here for the flickr style learning and love we've shared. Sometimes we know each other in mere flickers of time but somehow that doesn't matter. I I suppose our photos tell a lot!
I have myself to stumble my way up the learning curve of photography without concern. I am a former therapist and my philosophy as a therapist was to start with my clients where ever they were, rather than impose a theory on the process. I think I do the same with photography. My style and subjects are eclectic. (I'll shoot just about anything!) When I process my images I consider how to bring the essence of image to light. I continue hope that same sense of "soulfulness" awe I began with
However skilled or interesting my photos are or aren't, I absolutely love the process and don't mind knowing that I will be constantly evolving in this venue.I don't have or want fancy equipment and the technicalities are relevant but far from primary concern.
I've started a bunch of groups which I've been lousy at maintaining, they thrive nevertheless:
Abandoned - a huge and stunning collection of places and things abandoned from all over the world.
Fleur Noir - a smaller and gorgeous group of black and white or duotone botanica.
Lynched - In honor of the director's vision of mainstream American culture.
Secret Life of Plants
A Pair or Two - I'm a Gemini, I had to do it!
Please look at my favorites (particularly nice to view with the flickr river tool above and at my set Playing Favorites; which have genre specific mosaics of my favorites with links to each photo. I am stunned by the talent I run across here every time I look.
My photo stream is getting a little hefty and I'm trying to figure a way to organize 2K + photos with some coherency. I haven't gotten it down yet but for now I've got a billion sets in a reasonable number of collections. I don't recommend my explore set since I think at least half of them are really pretty goofy. Check out my personal faves set if you want to get my range.
I'm a group fiend who is very bad at posting my own, but get my thrills checking in on the wild and weird diversity of pools out there (check out the list if you dare. I checked out yours if you're my contact!) .
And then there's the cozy flickr within flickr ~ Catherine Jamieson's brainy idea:
P.S. I use a lot of flickr toys and greasemonkey with flickr scripts. These free tools make traveling around the flickrverse so much smoother. It seems that there aren't enough people who know about them. I am extremely appreciative of all the creativity, time and energy put into these add-ons.
Oh, and if you really want the dirty details:
I think I covered it, no? I only write so much because I wish I knew more about so many other people here and hope to be an inspiration to fill their profile space.
For those of you who think I've forgotten you, not at all. I miss you and I know sometime I'll be swinging around here and touching base.
Photos of hurleygurley (5)
- please bury me here 3,758 photos, 1,357 members
- Fine Art Photographs 26,307 photos, 930 members
- My_Way♫♫♫... 38,911 photos, 1,961 members
- Nature as Abstract Artist 73,036 photos, 6,572 members
- Flickr's 100 Best 96 photos, 11,938 members
- Fabulous Foliage -- No flowers as main theme 80,145 photos, 5,017 members
- Academy of Lost Theories 14,910 photos, 455 members
- Esoteric Visual Emporium (EVE) 8,486 photos, 164 members
- Mission District 15,266 photos, 775 members
- Berkeley Gardening 851 photos, 37 members
- Flickr CPR 11,709 photos, 572 members
- flickr (unofficial) 6,602,108 photos, 119,777 members
- Only "The Best" are Memories through Photography 69,001 photos, 1,099 members
- Yabba dabba doo! 302,646 photos, 3,895 members
- The Art of Reading 2,177 photos, 200 members
- Lights and Shadows 1,111,632 photos, 36,262 members
- A Portrait Group 545,851 photos, 9,514 members
- Keep Santa Cruz Weird 338 photos, 35 members
- Your Preferred Picture **WELCOME! ** 161,070 photos, 2,708 members
- Photograms 5,368 photos, 778 members
- SLO County 23,728 photos, 1,016 members
- Garaphic Design 1,433 photos, 136 members
- Women Portrait 1,462 photos, 128 members
- Art of Nature 561,798 photos, 13,121 members
- Nature Nerds 38,952 photos, 3,189 members
- Frank Gehry's Architecture 7,635 photos, 1,850 members
- smoking people 1,018 photos, 202 members
- Abstract Maritime 1,259 photos, 147 members
- Long Beach 4,271 photos, 178 members
- Long Beach, Ca 6,648 photos, 465 members
- Friends Of Photoworks SF 21,542 photos, 1,200 members
- Strange moments 245 photos, 45 members
- Long Beach CA 2,335 photos, 132 members
- L.A. Downtown 32,176 photos, 1,243 members
- Sempervivum 1,511 photos, 187 members
- Curated by JA2 (Invitation Only) 135 photos, 8 members
- Dopiaza's Set Manager 0 photos, 522 members
- Room 3C 534 photos, 54 members
- Arte alternativo 1,526 photos, 572 members
- Fine Art & Gothic Botanical Portraiture 10,543 photos, 603 members
- Cool Data Visualization Techniques - Information Visualization 4,655 photos, 1,596 members
- InspireBit.com 3,739 photos, 249 members
- Fire Shots 37,628 photos, 8,910 members
- Fire Spinning 10,711 photos, 3,031 members
- Northern California Photography 205,064 photos, 5,500 members
- *The Best Of The B-E-S-T Post 1/Comment 3 34,370 photos, 4,322 members
- SEASCAPE OF THE WORLD 5,767 photos, 195 members
- Ephemera 50,683 photos, 1,693 members
- TheLensSociety 16 photos, 9 members
- Marin Magazine 4,442 photos, 271 members
"Elisabeth's photos captivate me, despite the fact that many of her 'subjects' are inanimate... and honestly, I think this is because she shoots these subjects--flowers, trees, clouds, old buildings and sculpture, etc.--with such care and wonder that she actually brings them to life. Her human subjects seem to radiate as well. I am humbled by the beauty that surrounds her, and ever so glad that sometimes I get to view it through her amazing eye."
June 18th, 2008
"HG's photographs are among the very best on Flickr - simple, elegant, beautifully composed, and a shimmering meditation on the beauty of the world around us. I love them."
January 27th, 2007
"HG is a great flickr person. I love her pictures of flora and how they become abstract images. If she lived around 1900 Manet, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Seurat, Redon would all have courted her like crazy to be their muse but she would have rightly rejected them all - after asking them to do a little sketch for her as a souvenir - and continued her good work."
September 28th, 2006
Kenny and Steve says:
"As a "newby" to flickr, E's photos were among the first to dazzle and amaze me. As I think I have noted, she and her talented son have helped return (to me) the exictement of photography I had lost some years ago. Turns out it was simply on walkabout. My life & travel photos may be interesting and from time to time I may even be clever but will I ever bring such life to a photo that she does? Look. Think. Look again. Be impressed!"
August 9th, 2006
Auntie P says:
"I am constantly amazed at the photographs in HurleyGurley's photostream. Such richness of textures, creativity of viewpoint and sensitivity to subject. I partiucularly like the way she represents that which is decaying in such a beautiful way. A photostream to make you look, make you think and above all, make you feel."
February 4th, 2006
High Fidelity says:
"HG is a wonderful photographer and (more importantly) a wonderful human being. She was the one who got me hooked on this whole Flickr thing, and I will never forgive her. I find I am spending a bit too much time perusing my contacts pages that I should spend doing... OH NO! Flickr has me so hooked I can't even imagine a world without it!
Anyhwee... Look at all of her pictures at full size. I know I have."
February 28th, 2005
dark wealth says:
"Would you like to see the re-incarnation of Georgia Okeefe? Then come spend time with Elisabeth's photos. Experience the sensitive intimacy she exposes between mankind and his natural world, you'll never look at nature quite the same way again!"
January 25th, 2005
roomy space says:
"Gifted with a sight both visionary and precise, hurleygurley combines extraordinary artistic talent with the enriching layers of a profoundly empathic nature, a vast life experience and deep rooted love for everything that's alife, has textures and colors ;).
All of her pictures display an exqusisite sense of composition, revealing a most diverse, multilayered, dark and bewitchingly mysterious, appealing reality of her own. She tells a whole intriguing story behind the portrayed object or subject of her shot. Visiting her groups becomes an enchanted journey into the essence of life's beauty and uniqueness."
December 17th, 2004
"She has such a wonderful photography style. It just leaves me in awe. Her photos are a joy to behold."
November 25th, 2004
"An amazing photographer, beloved by the garden. The plants must think of her as one of their own as the flowers don’t seem to mind her showing the world their secrets. In fact, they seem to reveal to her what they will show no other!"
September 28th, 2004
"The floweres around hurleygurley, are happy.
Because the flowers has a chance that is taken the photo by hurleygurley.
I knew many new beauty of flowers from her point of view."
September 19th, 2004
"Ms. gurley takes some of the best flower macros in the business. Plus, she's really nice and likes funny-looking insects. That is a very good combination.
Hooray for hurleygurley! :D"
September 8th, 2004
- August 2004
- Enter your city here
- I am:
- Female and Open