I have been taking photos since the age of 14, but since 1998 have been working as a freelance photographer shooting mostly sports, landscape and travel.
For a couple of seasons from January 2006, I covered Premiership, Championship, League and FA Cup soccer for two different sports picture agencies. You won't see any of these photos here, though, due to the strict rules placed on their use.
From 2011 I started covering motorsport regularly for Porsche Club Great Britain and the BRSCC and was commissioned by Lotus On Track Racing Drivers' Club to cover their races for social media and race reports. As of March 2012, I am also a racing driver, driving a Boxster in the Logson Group BRSCC Porsche Championship. In between races I tend to take photos in and around the pits, so my portofolio has become heavily biased towards motorsport.
My day job is as a web application developer for the UK's best-known distance-teaching institution, which also involves some photography. I was a moderator and marker on the first seven presentations of our massively successful short course T189 Digital Photography: Creating and Sharing Better Images. Additionally, I am chairman of the staff camera club.
Almost as soon as Canon's D30 was launched, I switched entirely to digital photography and haven't looked back. I now use Canon 1D-series bodies combined with their L-series lenses due to their very high build quality. For sending images to the media from the field, I use a Windows laptop running Downloader Pro, BreezeBrowser and Photoshop software, together with a USB modem on the 3 network to transmit JPG files to my clients.
The shots you'll see on my Flickr account are a mixture of stuff from both my Canon gear and, at the other end of the optical scale, from the camera in my phone, often submitted directly from the phone using an application called ShoZu. I upgraded my Flickr account to 'Pro' in December 2006.
Around 2011 I got into motorsport in a big way. I took my ARDS test, obtained my race license and from 2012 I raced for three seasons in a Porsche Boxster, firstly in the BRSCC Porsche Championship then a season in Britcar. As of 2015 I hold an MSA International 'C' Race license. I now shoot motorsport on an almost weekly basis, for various teams, websites, event programmes and championships. The car you see in my banner image is a Lamborghini Gallardo LP570 Super Trofeo race car with me at the wheel - a fantastic opportunity to drive this car at Mallory Park.
If you'd like to get in touch, to order prints or enquire about images for publication, send me an email through Flickr or visit my website and see the Prices, Ordering, Rights and Contact information page.
Note about image downloads: I recently changed the setting that allows the download of my images. This was because I don't like the idea of tools like Flump and the way they break all links between images and accreditation. All my photos are copyright - I do not intend making it any easier for people to copy them and reuse them without my permission or without due credit. If you want to use any of my images, get in contact as nearly all are available for commercial use.
I have recently added the following paragraph to most of my image captions so that there can be no doubt over their status - it seems that Yahoo have been using some images uploaded to Flickr in advertising without the copyright owners' consent:
This image is copyright © - absolutely no commercial use of any kind is permitted without prior consent.
Minolta X700 (two off)
Minolta Dynax 9
Canon EOS 1nHS
Canon EOS 1D
Canon EOS 1D Mk.IIn
Canon EOS 1D Mk.III
Photos of hockeyshooter (5)
- B&W 4,552,380 photos, 211,230 members
- Black & White Digital 630,561 photos, 23,240 members
- Motor Sports UK 56,578 photos, 479 members
- Motorsports Photos 79,985 photos, 603 members
- UK Motorsport 53,164 photos, 643 members
- BRSCC Mazda MX-5 SuperCup 306 photos, 31 members
- Ginetta in Sports Car Racing 771 photos, 66 members
- Ginetta Motorsport 5,755 photos, 247 members
- Canon EOS-1D III Users 37,274 photos, 1,582 members
- Boxster 50 Years 550 Spyder 137 photos, 35 members
- Touring Cars Championships 15,762 photos, 589 members
- BTCC Crazy 2,729 photos, 363 members
- BTCC 7,959 photos, 524 members
- American Muscle Cars 62,960 photos, 3,135 members
- Porsche 918 Spyder. 1,873 photos, 675 members
- Front Engined Porsche 6,597 photos, 356 members
- AVIATION ♥ PASSION! 287,807 photos, 1,378 members
- De Havilland Tiger Moths. 792 photos, 81 members
- De Havilland 25,156 photos, 962 members
- Porsche in Sports Car Racing 8,602 photos, 376 members
- British Cars Photography 83,484 photos, 2,794 members
- IEREST Project 54 photos, 2 members
- Britcar 11,461 photos, 112 members
- Only German Cars 130,043 photos, 3,162 members
- Porsche RS 3,367 photos, 763 members
- < The Best Car Pictures - 5/Day > 5,274 photos, 637 members
- Racing 119,614 photos, 2,443 members
- Ferrari Enzo Spotting 1,134 photos, 272 members
- The Ferrari Enzo F60 2,082 photos, 436 members
- The McLaren F1 3,099 photos, 798 members
- BRSCC Mazda MX-5 Championship 43 photos, 19 members
- Open University 3,368 photos, 81 members
- Motor Racing Paddock Atmosphere 15,144 photos, 260 members
- BMW Motorsport 11,281 photos, 720 members
- Toyota MR2 Owners 1,229 photos, 258 members
- flickr (unofficial) 4,004,279 photos, 101,404 members
- The Ferrari F40 2,812 photos, 560 members
- Porschegroup944 926 photos, 146 members
- BoXa.net (Porsche Boxster) 290 photos, 72 members
- women in motorsport 657 photos, 78 members
- Porsche GT1/GT2/GT3 2,981 photos, 615 members
- Supercars. 52,742 photos, 1,186 members
- Heath and Reach 5 photos, 5 members
- VW Racing 4,893 photos, 536 members
- Lotus Evora 459 photos, 102 members
- LMS LeMans Series Photography 3,312 photos, 149 members
- DTM (Deutschen Tourenwagen Masters) 9,805 photos, 701 members
- ★ Grid Girl ★ Pit Girl ★ Racequeen ★ Promotional Girl 7,678 photos, 757 members
- MINI Challenge 753 photos, 33 members
- Mighty Minis Racing Championship 938 photos, 49 members
hockeyshooter doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Chris Valentine
- June 2005
- nr. Milton Keynes
- nr. Milton Keynes, England
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Web application developer; Freelance photographer