"No art or artist here, just images meant to shine only through what they show."
Unknown (but self named Urashimataro)
"There are two kinds of people: those who give you energy, and those who take it away."
"Look at the world without thoughts, without ideas, without words. The world looks back at you. 'Photography,' Moriyama wrote, 'was a free art form.' 'free' meant no framing, no focus, no subject, no story. It meant using photography to see through the surface of things, to create 'fossils of light' and recover 'memory,' to find a new camera language to capture one's own highly charger emotional experience. Burobuke ('blurred and out-of-focus'), Moriyama called his new photographic style."
I shoot 99% film with my Leica MP and its inseparable friends, 21 Elmarit, 35 Sumicron, 90 Sumicron, 5cm Summitar and 50 Noctilux.
1. Think about death as the graduation of life. Don not fear it, live up to it.
2. Care about people
3. Always do your best
4. Embrace change and the unexpected
5. Be honest to yourself
art is what you can get away with.
- Andy Warhol
Honesty, i believe, is the ultimate state of being. When one is honest with oneself, and with others, there is no conflict and life is clear. In photography i believe the same is true.
What is HILIBOS?
HILIBOS came to life one night in Tokyo when a friend asked jokingly where I was from. To this I proudly answered:
"I'm from HILIBOS, a tiny island on a remote location in the Mediterranean sea." More questions followed:
Q: What language do you speak in HILIBOS?
Q: How do you say "hello" in HILIBOS?
And this way HILIBOS was born.
Today Hilibos means something different. Hilibos is home. I have lived outside of my home country, Mexico, for 16 years. For most of this time I have gone thru the usual "where is home" bit many times.
For a few years I believed home was still Mexico. Then I believed home was California, where I lived for 6 years. My mind changed and I thought Tokyo was home. By the time I moved to New York City I knew better; home was not any of these places, not even New York.
In 2005, on one of my regular trips to Tokyo I realized something: my life so far had been like an ivy. My experiences living in several countries had been like the lead branches, and by this time the tender and energetic leads had turn into strong, luscious branches. I had been home all along, it is just a different concept of home than what I expected.
Home is always changing, it is the vector area where my heart, my thoughts and familes are. I have been so lucky as to living what I had until that time wished for: to live not only in one place, under one roof alone, and with one set of family members. I had been living all along the dream of extending my human network and redefining conventional concepts of growing roots in a physical place. I put down my roots in the world, not in a specific place.
Hilibos is home. How much will it grow? How will it's borders change in the future? Who knows, stay tuned!
- CONTAX T3 24,934 photos, 1,932 members
- Mexico 35mm 2,454 photos, 161 members
- Living in Black and White 94,489 photos, 2,809 members
- A Tree's wisdom is silent 30 photos, 3 members
- Danses et musiques du monde - World dances and music, in the str 4,655 photos, 180 members
- Social Dance: It takes 2 6,250 photos, 122 members
- Japan Street Scenes 9,740 photos, 284 members
- New York City>Chinatown 4,139 photos, 422 members
- NYC People 8,149 photos, 386 members
- tsukiji 2,343 photos, 192 members
- Hanami: Cherry Blossom Viewing at Brooklyn Botanic Garden 2,590 photos, 441 members
- MoMA The Museum of Modern Art (Official) 6,171 photos, 2,434 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,273 photos, 3,210 members
- Lost graphics 83 photos, 40 members
- Secret portraits 274 photos, 55 members
- Burebuke 653 photos, 78 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 215 photos, 349 members
- By Accident 3,274 photos, 1,522 members
- Photographed Photographers 7,213 photos, 887 members
- Stalker 4,873 photos, 817 members
- New York City Emulsions 15,637 photos, 564 members
- Wisdom Cries Out in The Streets. 55,995 photos, 1,628 members
- Street Photography 2,745 photos, 36,337 members
- New York life 196,747 photos, 8,404 members
- New York Photography 369,513 photos, 19,795 members
- New York, New York 405,602 photos, 16,024 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,938 photos, 1,283 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 148,099 photos, 4,405 members
- New Orleans Photography 57,482 photos, 2,589 members
- New Orleans 65,472 photos, 3,567 members
- Film Portraits 48,434 photos, 2,298 members
- I Love Film 588,887 photos, 8,933 members
- reflections of life 36,243 photos, 1,926 members
- The Film Group 628,921 photos, 11,732 members
- I Shoot Fuji (FILM) 340,255 photos, 14,231 members
- On Film and In Focus 23,926 photos, 793 members
- Life is Art! 80,137 photos, 2,346 members
- Emotional Faces 29,662 photos, 3,820 members
- Flickr Gallery 5,761 photos, 190 members
- Flickr Wow (2 posts per day please) 82,149 photos, 4,032 members
- Compositions 352,522 photos, 10,856 members
- 35mm Photographers 883,670 photos, 21,319 members
- Pictures of Life 1,207 photos, 66 members
- FlickrCentral 8,294,759 photos, 226,703 members
- LIFE AND CAMERA 8,212 photos, 264 members
- IS PHOTOGRAPHY ART ? 25,670 photos, 802 members
- flickr.com 9,308 photos, 371 members
- *FILM* Club 277,033 photos, 4,000 members
- Urban Decay 407,005 photos, 31,566 members
- beautiful decay. 293,867 photos, 10,516 members
Hilibos doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Pablo Pineda
- August 2005
- Brooklyn, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken