"No art or artist here, just images meant to shine only through what they show."
Unknown (but self named Urashimataro)
"There are two kinds of people: those who give you energy, and those who take it away."
"Look at the world without thoughts, without ideas, without words. The world looks back at you. 'Photography,' Moriyama wrote, 'was a free art form.' 'free' meant no framing, no focus, no subject, no story. It meant using photography to see through the surface of things, to create 'fossils of light' and recover 'memory,' to find a new camera language to capture one's own highly charger emotional experience. Burobuke ('blurred and out-of-focus'), Moriyama called his new photographic style."
I shoot 99% film with my Leica MP and its inseparable friends, 21 Elmarit, 35 Sumicron, 90 Sumicron, 5cm Summitar and 50 Noctilux.
1. Think about death as the graduation of life. Don not fear it, live up to it.
2. Care about people
3. Always do your best
4. Embrace change and the unexpected
5. Be honest to yourself
art is what you can get away with.
- Andy Warhol
Honesty, i believe, is the ultimate state of being. When one is honest with oneself, and with others, there is no conflict and life is clear. In photography i believe the same is true.
What is HILIBOS?
HILIBOS came to life one night in Tokyo when a friend asked jokingly where I was from. To this I proudly answered:
"I'm from HILIBOS, a tiny island on a remote location in the Mediterranean sea." More questions followed:
Q: What language do you speak in HILIBOS?
Q: How do you say "hello" in HILIBOS?
And this way HILIBOS was born.
Today Hilibos means something different. Hilibos is home. I have lived outside of my home country, Mexico, for 16 years. For most of this time I have gone thru the usual "where is home" bit many times.
For a few years I believed home was still Mexico. Then I believed home was California, where I lived for 6 years. My mind changed and I thought Tokyo was home. By the time I moved to New York City I knew better; home was not any of these places, not even New York.
In 2005, on one of my regular trips to Tokyo I realized something: my life so far had been like an ivy. My experiences living in several countries had been like the lead branches, and by this time the tender and energetic leads had turn into strong, luscious branches. I had been home all along, it is just a different concept of home than what I expected.
Home is always changing, it is the vector area where my heart, my thoughts and familes are. I have been so lucky as to living what I had until that time wished for: to live not only in one place, under one roof alone, and with one set of family members. I had been living all along the dream of extending my human network and redefining conventional concepts of growing roots in a physical place. I put down my roots in the world, not in a specific place.
Hilibos is home. How much will it grow? How will it's borders change in the future? Who knows, stay tuned!
- CONTAX T3 27,643 photos, 2,278 members
- Mexico 35mm 3,119 photos, 197 members
- Living in Black and White 126,867 photos, 3,210 members
- A Tree's wisdom is silent 30 photos, 3 members
- Danses et musiques du monde - World dances and music, in the str 5,558 photos, 207 members
- Social Dance: It takes 2 7,024 photos, 125 members
- Japan Street Scenes 10,345 photos, 312 members
- New York City>Chinatown 4,588 photos, 464 members
- NYC People 9,277 photos, 501 members
- tsukiji 2,439 photos, 210 members
- Hanami: Cherry Blossom Viewing at Brooklyn Botanic Garden 2,681 photos, 485 members
- MoMA The Museum of Modern Art (Official) 5,720 photos, 2,576 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,368 photos, 3,300 members
- Lost graphics 83 photos, 39 members
- Secret portraits 267 photos, 54 members
- Burebuke 641 photos, 78 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 200 photos, 347 members
- By Accident 3,128 photos, 1,511 members
- Photographed Photographers 8,678 photos, 923 members
- Stalker 4,815 photos, 838 members
- New York City Emulsions 16,956 photos, 598 members
- Wisdom Cries Out in The Streets. 64,722 photos, 1,712 members
- Street Photography 3,144 photos, 42,834 members
- New York life 217,219 photos, 8,897 members
- New York Photography 438,515 photos, 22,212 members
- New York, New York 446,938 photos, 16,976 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,923 photos, 1,955 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 165,575 photos, 4,681 members
- New Orleans Photography 73,938 photos, 2,895 members
- New Orleans 75,251 photos, 3,757 members
- Film Portraits 57,821 photos, 2,632 members
- I Love Film 727,695 photos, 10,158 members
- reflections of life 39,511 photos, 1,975 members
- The Film Group 818,874 photos, 13,937 members
- I Shoot Fuji (FILM) 386,696 photos, 15,702 members
- On Film and In Focus 32,848 photos, 967 members
- Life is Art! 105,556 photos, 2,574 members
- Emotional Faces 28,442 photos, 3,801 members
- Flickr Gallery 9,539 photos, 210 members
- Flickr Wow (2 posts per day please) 98,263 photos, 4,172 members
- Compositions 489,831 photos, 13,170 members
- 35mm Photographers 1,076,120 photos, 24,228 members
- Pictures of Life 1,220 photos, 69 members
- FlickrCentral 9,436,786 photos, 258,430 members
- LIFE AND CAMERA 9,729 photos, 273 members
- IS PHOTOGRAPHY ART ? 24,002 photos, 801 members
- flickr.com 11,737 photos, 440 members
- *FILM* Club 424,921 photos, 5,640 members
- Urban Decay 469,795 photos, 33,418 members
- beautiful decay. 355,720 photos, 11,468 members
Hilibos doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Pablo Pineda
- August 2005
- Brooklyn, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken