"No art or artist here, just images meant to shine only through what they show."
Unknown (but self named Urashimataro)
"There are two kinds of people: those who give you energy, and those who take it away."
"Look at the world without thoughts, without ideas, without words. The world looks back at you. 'Photography,' Moriyama wrote, 'was a free art form.' 'free' meant no framing, no focus, no subject, no story. It meant using photography to see through the surface of things, to create 'fossils of light' and recover 'memory,' to find a new camera language to capture one's own highly charger emotional experience. Burobuke ('blurred and out-of-focus'), Moriyama called his new photographic style."
I shoot 99% film with my Leica MP and its inseparable friends, 21 Elmarit, 35 Sumicron, 90 Sumicron, 5cm Summitar and 50 Noctilux.
1. Think about death as the graduation of life. Don not fear it, live up to it.
2. Care about people
3. Always do your best
4. Embrace change and the unexpected
5. Be honest to yourself
art is what you can get away with.
- Andy Warhol
Honesty, i believe, is the ultimate state of being. When one is honest with oneself, and with others, there is no conflict and life is clear. In photography i believe the same is true.
What is HILIBOS?
HILIBOS came to life one night in Tokyo when a friend asked jokingly where I was from. To this I proudly answered:
"I'm from HILIBOS, a tiny island on a remote location in the Mediterranean sea." More questions followed:
Q: What language do you speak in HILIBOS?
Q: How do you say "hello" in HILIBOS?
And this way HILIBOS was born.
Today Hilibos means something different. Hilibos is home. I have lived outside of my home country, Mexico, for 16 years. For most of this time I have gone thru the usual "where is home" bit many times.
For a few years I believed home was still Mexico. Then I believed home was California, where I lived for 6 years. My mind changed and I thought Tokyo was home. By the time I moved to New York City I knew better; home was not any of these places, not even New York.
In 2005, on one of my regular trips to Tokyo I realized something: my life so far had been like an ivy. My experiences living in several countries had been like the lead branches, and by this time the tender and energetic leads had turn into strong, luscious branches. I had been home all along, it is just a different concept of home than what I expected.
Home is always changing, it is the vector area where my heart, my thoughts and familes are. I have been so lucky as to living what I had until that time wished for: to live not only in one place, under one roof alone, and with one set of family members. I had been living all along the dream of extending my human network and redefining conventional concepts of growing roots in a physical place. I put down my roots in the world, not in a specific place.
Hilibos is home. How much will it grow? How will it's borders change in the future? Who knows, stay tuned!
- CONTAX T3 27,889 photos, 2,354 members
- Mexico 35mm 3,116 photos, 200 members
- Living in Black and White Photography 132,649 photos, 3,298 members
- A Tree's wisdom is silent 30 photos, 3 members
- Danses et musiques du monde - World dances and music, in the str 5,575 photos, 213 members
- Social Dance: It takes 2 7,139 photos, 128 members
- Japan Street Scenes 10,666 photos, 319 members
- New York City>Chinatown 4,595 photos, 464 members
- NYC People 9,714 photos, 506 members
- tsukiji 2,439 photos, 213 members
- Hanami: Cherry Blossom Viewing at Brooklyn Botanic Garden 2,684 photos, 489 members
- MoMA The Museum of Modern Art (Official) 5,688 photos, 2,566 members
- Sharpness is Such a Bourgeois Concept 1,404 photos, 3,312 members
- Lost graphics 83 photos, 39 members
- Secret portraits 267 photos, 54 members
- Burebuke 637 photos, 78 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 200 photos, 346 members
- By Accident 3,107 photos, 1,509 members
- Photographed Photographers 8,816 photos, 922 members
- Stalker 4,804 photos, 840 members
- New York City Emulsions 17,345 photos, 601 members
- Wisdom Cries Out in The Streets. 66,382 photos, 1,724 members
- Street Photography 3,188 photos, 43,485 members
- New York life 220,834 photos, 8,993 members
- New York Photography 450,237 photos, 22,508 members
- New York, New York 454,705 photos, 17,164 members
- New York City Photographer's Club 1,907 photos, 2,003 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 168,888 photos, 4,729 members
- New Orleans Photography 75,439 photos, 2,925 members
- New Orleans 76,545 photos, 3,784 members
- Film Portraits 59,636 photos, 2,671 members
- I Love Film 744,547 photos, 10,344 members
- reflections of life 39,948 photos, 1,977 members
- The Film Group 842,120 photos, 14,292 members
- I Shoot Fuji (FILM) 395,305 photos, 15,946 members
- On Film and In Focus 34,467 photos, 992 members
- Life is Art! 108,488 photos, 2,601 members
- Emotional Faces 28,153 photos, 3,789 members
- Flickr Gallery 10,355 photos, 217 members
- Flickr Wow (2 posts per day please) 101,178 photos, 4,188 members
- Compositions 517,622 photos, 13,505 members
- 35mm Photographers 1,103,228 photos, 24,734 members
- Pictures of Life 1,220 photos, 69 members
- FlickrCentral 9,425,981 photos, 262,863 members
- LIFE AND CAMERA 10,013 photos, 272 members
- IS PHOTOGRAPHY ART ? 24,181 photos, 801 members
- flickr.com 12,589 photos, 452 members
- *FILM* Club 432,232 photos, 5,907 members
- Urban Decay 480,210 photos, 33,702 members
- beautiful decay. 366,210 photos, 11,635 members
Hilibos doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Pablo Pineda
- August 2005
- Brooklyn, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken