The subject of "interesting things about you" came up recently on a blog I frequent, and I ended up writing this long thing in response:
I recently took a year off from work to write two books, one a children’s book, another a collection of essays on atheism.
I’ve ridden 8 bulls. I’ve hitchhiked around the U.S. more than 26,000 miles. I once shook the hand of baseball legend Sandy Koufax, but had no idea who he was because I don’t follow baseball. I’ve flown upside-down in a plane, and parachuted out of one 5 times. When I was younger, I hopped a ride on a freight train across three states. I’ve fed marshmallows by hand to a live grizzly bear. I’ve been bitten by a coyote. I once ran the main control board at an asphalt plant. Back when I was a professional baker, a hall full of conventioneers gave me a standing ovation for my pastries. I once did a back layout out of a third-floor window into a snowbank. I’ve never had a broken bone. I’m a member of Mensa. I have tissue samples of my dead dog stored in liquid nitrogen, and I hope to someday clone him. I got lost in a snowstorm for 8 hours while cross country skiing at night one time, and almost died. I sold the first piece of writing I ever submitted for publication, to a national magazine. I ran for public office and lost ... twice. I possess the only existing recipe for Nuclear Cheese Bread. I’m a photography hobbyist and I have a $3,000 camera. I know how to make a flame-thrower out of PVC pipe.
I’m restoring a 95-year-old house ... very slowly. I think most people who get tattoos are idiots, and state lotteries are a Really Bad Idea. I’m an advocate for atheism, and I’m thrilled that atheists are at last finding a voice in the U.S. I’d like to see George W. Bush impeached, and Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and Rush Limbaugh in prison.
I’m currently attempting to market those two books to agents and publishers, designing t-shirts in a small business with a friend in California, cranking up a freelance career in writing and editing, and working at a newspaper part-time. I recently decided to start blogging again, and as part of that, I plan to put my fitness progress right out in public on my blog, complete with actual pictures of my huge gym-shorts-clad posterior and decidedly unwashboard abs, as I attempt to lose up to 45 pounds and get fit and thin again. At 55, I’d still like to run a marathon someday.
And oh yeah, I’m single and live alone. I plan to get a puppy.
My photos are for sale. If you're interested in any of them, shoot me an email.
My blog, with pic of me in all my hairy-bellied goodness (the "Before" picture of me for a fitness regimen I'm starting), is here: www.HankFox.com.
- * What a Lucky Shot! (post 1 ~ comment 1) new rules 12,295 photos, 770 members
- HEAVEN & EARTH ! Welcome ~ NATURE Only ~ Post 1 , Award 1 27,916 photos, 1,080 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,494 members
- Apollo 11 40th Anniversary Celebrations Around the World 1,206 photos, 255 members
- The Amazing Whitetail Deer **NEW WILD TURKEY WEEKENDS** 5,768 photos, 304 members
- Birds and Wildlife Only!!! 109,321 photos, 1,752 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Taken That!!! (Invite Only) Post 1-Award2 . 199,684 photos, 21,718 members
- Frío, hielo y nieve 9,458 photos, 1,413 members
- Harley Davidson & Metric Motorcycles 28,347 photos, 2,152 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 87,434 photos, 9,916 members
- Fur & Feathers with Attitude - ENTER OUR PHOTO CONTESTS! 45,082 photos, 3,112 members
- "World Nature & Wildlife Closeup" Post 1/C3 232,237 photos, 9,337 members
- *Animal Photography* 554,722 photos, 25,000 members
- RARE & ENDANGERED DOG BREEDS 3,953 photos, 814 members
- 100 Views of Harley-Davidson 1,427 photos, 146 members
- Share Your Best With The World 122,744 photos, 5,015 members
- Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh, My! 19,208 photos, 5,368 members
- NYRA - Saratoga Style 1,983 photos, 108 members
- Sorria / Smile 12,681 photos, 3,032 members
- horse racing 30,585 photos, 1,903 members
- Thoroughbreds 7,178 photos, 244 members
- Bird Watching Group (BWG): Post 1 : Award 2 186,790 photos, 9,057 members
- Legendary Adventurers' Guild 12,364 photos, 702 members
- BIKER LIFE ~ living and loving the lifestyle~ 111,945 photos, 7,923 members
- Smiles/Sorrisi/Sonrisas 146,394 photos, 21,377 members
- Bull Riding , Bulls and Riders. Bullriding PBR PRCA CBR 10,148 photos, 329 members
- Il Tramonto - (The Sunset) 94,995 photos, 10,883 members
- Flickr Elite Group 379,889 photos, 11,808 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 12,210 photos, 1,567 members
- Don Juan and Miguel 283 photos, 29 members
- ! love my dog(s) 306,753 photos, 17,882 members
- Dog tired! (dogs asleep) 20,360 photos, 4,120 members
- The Dog House 80,251 photos, 4,664 members
- Thoroughbred Horse Racing Global 35,176 photos, 1,695 members
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Photography 38,412 photos, 2,759 members
- Rodeo Photos 19,095 photos, 1,586 members
- Renaissance Festivals and faires 44,946 photos, 1,777 members
- Renaissance 27,892 photos, 1,145 members
- Renaissance Faire's 18,331 photos, 347 members
- Sterling Renaissance Festival 778 photos, 63 members
- New York Renaissance Faire 6,002 photos, 162 members
- I Love Trains 430,786 photos, 15,399 members
- HDR 945,690 photos, 91,583 members
Hank Fox doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Hank Fox
- December 2006
- Houston, Texas
- Schenectady, NY, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Writer, editor, adventurer