The subject of "interesting things about you" came up recently on a blog I frequent, and I ended up writing this long thing in response:
I recently took a year off from work to write two books, one a children’s book, another a collection of essays on atheism.
I’ve ridden 8 bulls. I’ve hitchhiked around the U.S. more than 26,000 miles. I once shook the hand of baseball legend Sandy Koufax, but had no idea who he was because I don’t follow baseball. I’ve flown upside-down in a plane, and parachuted out of one 5 times. When I was younger, I hopped a ride on a freight train across three states. I’ve fed marshmallows by hand to a live grizzly bear. I’ve been bitten by a coyote. I once ran the main control board at an asphalt plant. Back when I was a professional baker, a hall full of conventioneers gave me a standing ovation for my pastries. I once did a back layout out of a third-floor window into a snowbank. I’ve never had a broken bone. I’m a member of Mensa. I have tissue samples of my dead dog stored in liquid nitrogen, and I hope to someday clone him. I got lost in a snowstorm for 8 hours while cross country skiing at night one time, and almost died. I sold the first piece of writing I ever submitted for publication, to a national magazine. I ran for public office and lost ... twice. I possess the only existing recipe for Nuclear Cheese Bread. I’m a photography hobbyist and I have a $3,000 camera. I know how to make a flame-thrower out of PVC pipe.
I’m restoring a 95-year-old house ... very slowly. I think most people who get tattoos are idiots, and state lotteries are a Really Bad Idea. I’m an advocate for atheism, and I’m thrilled that atheists are at last finding a voice in the U.S. I’d like to see George W. Bush impeached, and Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and Rush Limbaugh in prison.
I’m currently attempting to market those two books to agents and publishers, designing t-shirts in a small business with a friend in California, cranking up a freelance career in writing and editing, and working at a newspaper part-time. I recently decided to start blogging again, and as part of that, I plan to put my fitness progress right out in public on my blog, complete with actual pictures of my huge gym-shorts-clad posterior and decidedly unwashboard abs, as I attempt to lose up to 45 pounds and get fit and thin again. At 55, I’d still like to run a marathon someday.
And oh yeah, I’m single and live alone. I plan to get a puppy.
My photos are for sale. If you're interested in any of them, shoot me an email.
My blog, with pic of me in all my hairy-bellied goodness (the "Before" picture of me for a fitness regimen I'm starting), is here: www.HankFox.com.
- * What a Lucky Shot! (post 1 ~ comment 1) new rules 14,774 photos, 771 members
- HEAVEN & EARTH ! Welcome ~ NATURE Only ~ Post 1 , Award 1 28,872 photos, 1,092 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,286 members
- Apollo 11 40th Anniversary Celebrations Around the World 1,206 photos, 357 members
- The Amazing Whitetail Deer **NEW WILD TURKEY WEEKENDS** 6,276 photos, 370 members
- Birds and Wildlife Only!!! 188,457 photos, 2,411 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Taken That!!! (Invite Only) Post 1-Award2 . 206,897 photos, 21,816 members
- Frío, hielo y nieve 10,152 photos, 1,456 members
- Harley Davidson & Metric Motorcycles 29,744 photos, 2,292 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 91,236 photos, 9,879 members
- Fur & Feathers with Attitude - ENTER OUR PHOTO CONTESTS! 47,327 photos, 3,088 members
- "World Nature & Wildlife Closeup" Post 1/C3 249,494 photos, 9,727 members
- *Animal Photography* 747,151 photos, 29,789 members
- RARE & ENDANGERED DOG BREEDS 3,834 photos, 852 members
- 100 Views of Harley-Davidson 1,536 photos, 155 members
- Share Your Best With The World 132,691 photos, 5,016 members
- Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh, My! 18,966 photos, 5,500 members
- NYRA - Saratoga Style 2,507 photos, 111 members
- Sorria / Smile 11,916 photos, 3,059 members
- horse racing 34,503 photos, 2,123 members
- Thoroughbreds 8,028 photos, 260 members
- Bird Watching Group (BWG): Post 1 : Award 2 213,965 photos, 9,330 members
- BIKER LIFE ~ living and loving the lifestyle~ 123,362 photos, 8,320 members
- When you smile... 3,082 photos, 521 members
- Smiles/Sorrisi/Sonrisas 166,421 photos, 22,105 members
- Bull Riding , Bulls and Riders. Bullriding PBR PRCA CBR 10,443 photos, 357 members
- Il Tramonto - (The Sunset) 109,041 photos, 11,341 members
- Flickr Elite Group 549,995 photos, 13,697 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 12,988 photos, 1,623 members
- Don Juan and Miguel 291 photos, 29 members
- ! love my dog(s) 337,261 photos, 19,260 members
- Dog tired! (dogs asleep) 20,193 photos, 4,260 members
- The Dog House 94,165 photos, 5,010 members
- Thoroughbred Horse Racing Global 37,978 photos, 1,721 members
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Photography 44,998 photos, 2,984 members
- Rodeo Photos 22,238 photos, 1,721 members
- Renaissance Festivals and faires 53,256 photos, 1,862 members
- Renaissance 33,077 photos, 1,192 members
- Renaissance Faire's 22,334 photos, 382 members
- Sterling Renaissance Festival 1,020 photos, 66 members
- New York Renaissance Faire 6,622 photos, 169 members
- I Love Trains 598,301 photos, 16,742 members
- HDR 1,013,454 photos, 93,143 members
Hank Fox doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Hank Fox
- December 2006
- Houston, Texas
- Schenectady, NY, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Writer, editor, adventurer