The subject of "interesting things about you" came up recently on a blog I frequent, and I ended up writing this long thing in response:
I recently took a year off from work to write two books, one a children’s book, another a collection of essays on atheism.
I’ve ridden 8 bulls. I’ve hitchhiked around the U.S. more than 26,000 miles. I once shook the hand of baseball legend Sandy Koufax, but had no idea who he was because I don’t follow baseball. I’ve flown upside-down in a plane, and parachuted out of one 5 times. When I was younger, I hopped a ride on a freight train across three states. I’ve fed marshmallows by hand to a live grizzly bear. I’ve been bitten by a coyote. I once ran the main control board at an asphalt plant. Back when I was a professional baker, a hall full of conventioneers gave me a standing ovation for my pastries. I once did a back layout out of a third-floor window into a snowbank. I’ve never had a broken bone. I’m a member of Mensa. I have tissue samples of my dead dog stored in liquid nitrogen, and I hope to someday clone him. I got lost in a snowstorm for 8 hours while cross country skiing at night one time, and almost died. I sold the first piece of writing I ever submitted for publication, to a national magazine. I ran for public office and lost ... twice. I possess the only existing recipe for Nuclear Cheese Bread. I’m a photography hobbyist and I have a $3,000 camera. I know how to make a flame-thrower out of PVC pipe.
I’m restoring a 95-year-old house ... very slowly. I think most people who get tattoos are idiots, and state lotteries are a Really Bad Idea. I’m an advocate for atheism, and I’m thrilled that atheists are at last finding a voice in the U.S. I’d like to see George W. Bush impeached, and Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and Rush Limbaugh in prison.
I’m currently attempting to market those two books to agents and publishers, designing t-shirts in a small business with a friend in California, cranking up a freelance career in writing and editing, and working at a newspaper part-time. I recently decided to start blogging again, and as part of that, I plan to put my fitness progress right out in public on my blog, complete with actual pictures of my huge gym-shorts-clad posterior and decidedly unwashboard abs, as I attempt to lose up to 45 pounds and get fit and thin again. At 55, I’d still like to run a marathon someday.
And oh yeah, I’m single and live alone. I plan to get a puppy.
My photos are for sale. If you're interested in any of them, shoot me an email.
My blog, with pic of me in all my hairy-bellied goodness (the "Before" picture of me for a fitness regimen I'm starting), is here: www.HankFox.com.
- * What a Lucky Shot! (post 1 ~ comment 1) new rules 12,421 photos, 770 members
- HEAVEN & EARTH ! Welcome ~ NATURE Only ~ Post 1 , Award 1 27,920 photos, 1,080 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,481 members
- Apollo 11 40th Anniversary Celebrations Around the World 1,217 photos, 256 members
- The Amazing Whitetail Deer **NEW WILD TURKEY WEEKENDS** 5,790 photos, 308 members
- Birds and Wildlife Only!!! 111,992 photos, 1,787 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Taken That!!! (Invite Only) Post 1-Award2 . 200,023 photos, 21,707 members
- Frío, hielo y nieve 9,527 photos, 1,417 members
- Harley Davidson & Metric Motorcycles 28,468 photos, 2,154 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 87,503 photos, 9,921 members
- Fur & Feathers with Attitude - ENTER OUR PHOTO CONTESTS! 45,052 photos, 3,111 members
- "World Nature & Wildlife Closeup" Post 1/C3 232,873 photos, 9,350 members
- *Animal Photography* 561,827 photos, 25,202 members
- RARE & ENDANGERED DOG BREEDS 3,949 photos, 817 members
- 100 Views of Harley-Davidson 1,427 photos, 146 members
- Share Your Best With The World 123,315 photos, 5,010 members
- Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh, My! 19,210 photos, 5,373 members
- NYRA - Saratoga Style 1,986 photos, 108 members
- Sorria / Smile 12,624 photos, 3,035 members
- horse racing 30,762 photos, 1,915 members
- Thoroughbreds 7,179 photos, 244 members
- Bird Watching Group (BWG): Post 1 : Award 2 187,932 photos, 9,061 members
- Legendary Adventurers' Guild 12,437 photos, 706 members
- BIKER LIFE ~ living and loving the lifestyle~ 112,395 photos, 7,937 members
- Smiles/Sorrisi/Sonrisas 147,599 photos, 21,419 members
- Bull Riding , Bulls and Riders. Bullriding PBR PRCA CBR 10,158 photos, 332 members
- Il Tramonto - (The Sunset) 95,556 photos, 10,889 members
- Flickr Elite Group 385,338 photos, 11,894 members
- Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules) 12,245 photos, 1,571 members
- Don Juan and Miguel 283 photos, 28 members
- ! love my dog(s) 308,387 photos, 17,937 members
- Dog tired! (dogs asleep) 20,431 photos, 4,122 members
- The Dog House 80,812 photos, 4,681 members
- Thoroughbred Horse Racing Global 35,271 photos, 1,695 members
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Photography 38,665 photos, 2,771 members
- Rodeo Photos 19,198 photos, 1,589 members
- Renaissance Festivals and faires 45,080 photos, 1,779 members
- Renaissance 28,024 photos, 1,150 members
- Renaissance Faire's 18,379 photos, 350 members
- Sterling Renaissance Festival 779 photos, 64 members
- New York Renaissance Faire 6,000 photos, 162 members
- I Love Trains 437,583 photos, 15,459 members
- HDR 949,069 photos, 91,675 members
Hank Fox doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Hank Fox
- December 2006
- Houston, Texas
- Schenectady, NY, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Writer, editor, adventurer