"Eventually I discovered for myself the utterly simple prescription for creativity; be intensely yourself. Don’t try to be outstanding; don’t try to be a success; don’t try to do pictures for others to look at — just please yourself."
— Ralph Steiner
"I say play your own way. Don’t play what the public wants. Play what you want and let the public pick up on what you are doing, even if it takes them fifteen or twenty years."
— Thelonious Monk
"When I make a photograph I want it to be an altogether new object, complete and self-contained, whose basic condition is order — unlike the world of events and actions, whose permanent condition is change and disorder."
— Aaron Siskind
"The thing that’s important to know is that you never know.
You’re always sort of feeling your way."
— Diane Arbus
"There is nothing so mysterious as a fact clearly presented."
— Lisette Model
"I photograph continuously, often without a good idea or strong feelings. During this time the photos are nearly all poor, but I believe they develop my seeing and help later on in other photos. I do believe strongly in photography and hope by following it intuitively that when the photographs are looked at they will touch the spirit in people."
— Harry Callahan
"Ich sitze im kleinsten Raum des Hauses. Ihre Kritik habe ich vor mir. Bald werde ich sie hinter mir haben."
— Max Reger
"Some speak of a return to nature.
I wonder where they could have been."
— Frederick Sommer
icon by *L
I'm Male, 69 and Married to the love of my life.
I don't join groups with complicated rules;
I delete comments with boilerplate text,
"Seen on..." hyperlinks, and embedded graphics.
And I automatically block people who add me as a
contact or favorite my pictures but have nothing in their
own photostreams. Flickr is for sharing, not scavenging.
My photos in photofront
My photos in Flickr Leech
My Vimeo clips
My Twitter profile
- Project Weather 636,743 photos, 94,049 members
- our pink walls 559 photos, 25 members
- tragedy, ecstasy, doom... 32 photos, 13 members
- Digital Psychography 7,106 photos, 90 members
- os stênceis da *L 144 photos, 24 members
- Asking questions 121 photos, 170 members
- fechou 155 photos, 11 members
- São João Del Rei & Tiradentes 1,073 photos, 136 members
- Juiz de Fora - Minas Gerais 5,024 photos, 208 members
- Jardim Botânico - Rio de Janeiro 4,296 photos, 375 members
- High Line Park 4,522 photos, 474 members
- Creepy Christmas 1,429 photos, 454 members
- not all there 516 photos, 172 members
- SUN-BLEACHED BLUE 195 photos, 70 members
- Piu-piu na gaiola 45 photos, 18 members
- sociedade fotográfica recreativa os totós 234 photos, 24 members
- 9th Street Italian Market Festival 211 photos, 37 members
- a grande balda 60 photos, 23 members
- Feliz aniversário j@cque! 18 photos, 15 members
- wall wisdom 107 photos, 98 members
- change the ground beneath your feet frequently 674 photos, 185 members
- all that i can see 267 photos, 130 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,265 members
- bandeirinhas... ou viva volpi ! 63 photos, 17 members
- Maps for Situationists 52 photos, 84 members
- Feliz aniversário cronópio! 15 photos, 17 members
- philly street art 11,770 photos, 590 members
- a varanda 93 photos, 14 members
- tipo Portugal 948 photos, 71 members
- Constructed spaces 548 photos, 153 members
- à table! 155 photos, 36 members
- Democratic Forest 89,975 photos, 1,562 members
- incidental painting 2,819 photos, 126 members
- (+: (+: (+: les frères ripolin :+) :+) :+) 2,992 photos, 182 members
- found cubism 135 photos, 30 members
- Amar Lisboa - Loving Lisbon 36,870 photos, 1,691 members
- Codfish with everyone 85 photos, 29 members
- ✂ poésie trouvée ✂ 4,331 photos, 274 members
- Stencil_Sticker_Stamp 12,672 photos, 152 members
- os sete mares 172 photos, 39 members
- Vancouver Island Parks, Beaches, Marshes and Trails 15,001 photos, 640 members
- imaginary maps 234 photos, 43 members
- festival of brown 4,523 photos, 174 members
- Na parede 230 photos, 13 members
- Whitewashed Windows 394 photos, 18 members
- New Topographics 104,203 photos, 2,145 members
- we heart gato 207 photos, 43 members
- Found Paintings 5,703 photos, 229 members
- portugal / brasil...fachadas e semelhanças 70 photos, 11 members
- denoting absence 6,096 photos, 208 members
"yes indeed, Bruce is a sweet angel disguised in a lovely human being!
September 10th, 2008
"...a true prince of eloquence"
June 2nd, 2008
"absolutely stunning photographs....and a wicked sense of humor"
May 6th, 2007
Ponto e virgula says:
"Bruce's photographs are constantly reminding me that I'm looking at a flat screen and that the colors, shapes and forms I see have a reality in themselves. Besides that, he can show us an urban world in which every fragment, every tiny bit links us to a tradition that roots in every image that has been made. He can talk about Hopper and Frankentaler, about Tapiès or Stieglitz. And he can speak portuguese. Oh well.I think that what I like most about Bruce is his heart.
(Feliz Natal cher ami américain)"
December 19th, 2006
Eni Turkeshi Imagery says:
"I'm so happy Bruce has added me as a contact.Because if he didn't , I wouldn't have known such a talented photographer..He has so beautiful photos and so marvellous textures he uses in them , I don't have enough time to comment over all of them..But be sure Bruce , I'd love to comment to them all.They are so beautiful and so very different....Hope we'll go on seeing your great photos..."
November 6th, 2006
"I wait with baited breath for the next papered-over window or piece of stinky detritus. The world is as ugly or beautiful as our perception -- and Bruce's senses are gorgeous. He is also kind to newbies. :) Thank you, Bruce!"
August 18th, 2006
"here are the things to know about bruce grant as you approach his images: he is an artist in several senses. he is shooting because he has to, and he also has a wealth of knowledge about the history of art and photography, so that his construction sites are grounded in centuries of visual understandings handed down to our time. also, you should know that a flickr pal of his made him the icon with the wings, and i love that he accepted that. we are all limited in the time and attention we can put into flickr (and fotolog too in bruce's case) and we can't all be best buddies, so i'm deeply honored that bruce has become my friend.
here are some things you already know for yourself: he is simply flying with this perfect storm of the maturation of the online social picture medium, his passionate eye and his depth of understanding of photography. because he is a great guy he's just about as delighted when he discovers your fine picture as when he makes one himself. he's cherished in his photo-community, it doesn't take a testimonial to see that."
September 17th, 2005
"you know someone has had a tremendous impact on what and how you see when you start using their name to identify images (i.e.: brucewall1, brucewall2)
immerse yourself in his world
absorb his colors
walk through his lines
delight in his detail
you won't be disappointed
and you might find your world has changed for the better."
September 10th, 2005
"Bruce sees collage. The city puts them together, and he finds them. He puts order to remnants and small details. Beautiful order."
August 13th, 2005
"i can't write in english, so i'll just say: i love what he does and he is a great friend
thank you dear Bruce"
August 1st, 2005
"I had the great delight of meeting Bruce Grant in person today, after a long fotolog/flickr friendship through photographs and comments. Bruce's work first caught my eye through his amazing way to find patterns and colors -- not to mention incredible beauty and uniqueness -- in what I thought of as the oddest places: air conditioners, painted-over graffiti, chain-link fences, weathered boards, etc. and meeting him in person was no different; we spent the day wandering through warehouses and salvage yards, and not only did he find amazing things to photograph, but i did too, simply from imagining the world through his eyes.
he's absolutely sparkling person, an inspirational photographer, and i consider a good friend. I can't wait to see the next batch of his images... and the next batch... and the next..."
July 18th, 2005
"An amazing angelic light follows Bruce around and illuminates the otherwise mundane with a sense of being more real than most photos allow, startling us with a bare beauty.
Somehow he makes the modern and the discarded ancient again with color and pattern and flair. He's one of the ones i learn from nearly every shot. I learn how much i need to learn, i see how much i need to see with my own vision as he sees with his. He makes it look easy and offhand, but there's always depth to his photos, requiring a second look. In short, a hero."
July 13th, 2005
"I have followed Bruce's work for a few years now and he consistently adds the best quality of work with an eye for unique detail. He is personally responsible for more saved "favorites" in my account than any other flickrite. There is something about his images that make me think of great poetry. Thank you for your sharing, Bruce."
May 2nd, 2005
Joie de Vivre says:
"Bruce continually pulls off amazing shots of urban decay and chaos. Just when I think he can't possibly keep it up, there's another one. I need to add his entire photostream to my favorites."
March 28th, 2005
- Bruce Grant
- October 2004
- Philadelphia, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- anjo (caído)
- my fotolog