I started posting on this site more years ago now than I care to recall. Initially I shared my old bus slides, scanned and edited as appropriate; this I still do. Spurred on by others whose admirable work I see on these pages, I am now adding a greater number of contemporary images. Buses remain my passion, but the odd non-omnibological intruder will find its way in here.
The many helpful comments about my pictures have encouraged me to be more adventurous in what I take pictures of; I have a newly-discovered enthusiasm for recording the little-regarded overlooked details of the urban landscape.
That said - a warning. I am not above (or beneath?) movng bits of street furniture about or removing them altogether in an attempt to improve the overall balance of the picture. I cannot abide lamposts growing out of the roofs of buses! So beware - if the subject of my photograph is a bus, the surroundings should not be taken as evidence in a court of law.
I retain copyright on all my images but feel free to reproduce any bus picture provided it is fully acknowledged and it is made clear that the copyright remains with me.
I welcome invites to groups and to be a contact. However, if you invite me to be a contact and I can't see your photostream, or it has only a very few images, I will be unlikely to reciprocate. Similarly I will mostly only keep contacts who post images that interest me. To see what interests me, take a look at my photostream.
Photos of georgeupstairs (4)
- A BREWERY 275 photos, 43 members
- Scrap / Abandoned & Unloved Vehicles 2,580 photos, 220 members
- Dublin Bus - Bus Átha Cliath 6,240 photos, 212 members
- Bus Éireann - Irish Bus 8,959 photos, 203 members
- Ireland's Dismantled Railways 2,134 photos, 182 members
- Coras Iompair Éireann 1,399 photos, 196 members
- Merseyside Buses 28,635 photos, 123 members
- 5,000 + Buses 509 photos, 153 members
- 1,000 + Buses 8,362 photos, 175 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 23,876 photos, 41,190 members
- BUSES & COACHES + TRAMS OF SCOTLAND NO 30/60 GROUP RESTRICTION 59,617 photos, 198 members
- EDINBURGH'S BUSES AND COACHES NO 30/60 GROU 29,627 photos, 124 members
- Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station NO 30/60 GROUP RESTRICTION 4,246 photos, 92 members
- Old Edinburgh 507 photos, 61 members
- Double-deck buses and trams OUTSIDE the British Isles 1,847 photos, 108 members
- Through a glass, darkly 67,982 photos, 18,030 members
- Photography art for everyone 126,961 photos, 1,655 members
- British rear engined single deckers of the '60 & '70s 730 photos, 41 members
- UK Non-Standard Bus & Coach Liveries 3,508 photos, 231 members
- Non-Corporate Liveried Buses 3,800 photos, 103 members
- Road and Rail Transportation of the World 76,874 photos, 328 members
- Stagecoach Stripes 1,997 photos, 202 members
- New to SELNEC/GMT/LUT Leyland Nationals 72 photos, 19 members
- in explore 1,089,365 photos, 88,410 members
- ART, OR NOT ART? 1,823 photos, 52 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 140,659 photos, 444 members
- West Midlands Travel & Subsidiaries 4,245 photos, 130 members
- Rail UK - Class 504 Bury Electrics 518 photos, 75 members
- UK personalised number plates 4,838 photos, 103 members
- !Look straight up! (or down!) 8,099 photos, 440 members
- 100 Bicycles 3,875 photos, 784 members
- Accidental Wedding - Please Read Rules!!! 3,291 photos, 347 members
- Bus UK: Big Bus Company Worldwide 1,745 photos, 99 members
- JPT Bus Company of Manchester 670 photos, 61 members
- First Buses in Old Barbie Livery 10,188 photos, 269 members
- First Manchester's Wright Streetlites 350 photos, 138 members
- Roads Less Travelled 59,781 photos, 4,875 members
- Arriva Hybrid Buses 11,691 photos, 230 members
- Moving Picture 2,839 photos, 555 members
- Photos of QUALITY to Smile About ~ International ~ (moderated) 223,734 photos, 14,415 members
- Coach & Bus Week 98,190 photos, 211 members
- Bus termini's in Edinburgh and the Lothians 499 photos, 26 members
- Monochrome Britain (no colour splashes) 107,185 photos, 2,244 members
- Cats and cat families 14,905 photos, 416 members
- Ruins and Rust~(NO PEOPLE) 48,108 photos, 2,695 members
- Triskaidekamania 99 photos, 55 members
- Stripey Saturdays 113 photos, 122 members
- Villages and small towns of the world 74,485 photos, 4,971 members
- Europe ! Europa ! 1,341,076 photos, 13,765 members
- BEDFORD TK,KM and TL lorries 5,805 photos, 270 members
- Ex Lothian Olympians 5 1 photo
- ex Lothian Olympians 4 16 photos
- Ex Lothian tridents 2 photos
- More trains 3 photos
- ex Lothian Olympians 3 17 photos
- trains 7 photos
- Horses 3 9 photos
- ex Lothian Olympians 2 16 photos
- VSC86 3 3 photos
- Horses 2 18 photos
- Yelloway 2 2 photos
- Yelloway 1 3 photos
- FSC182 9 photos
- VSC86 2 18 photos
- ex Lothian Olympians 1 17 photos
- Horses 12 photos
- VSC86 15 photos
- Edinburgh Alexander bodied Guy Arab IVs 9 photos
- Turkish buses 4 photos
- Bikes 6 photos
Stuart Montgomery says:
"George has the most fantastic collection of Edinburgh buses, especially old ones, and there are some pictures in his sets that will literally take your breath away just for the sheer nostalgia if not for their historic value. Every picture he shows looks entirely professional and worthy of showing in the public domain.
I am a relatively new member to Flickr and have found George to be so friendly and helpful, ever such the perfect gentleman too! I love all his stories about Edinburgh and often delivered with fine humour. We've clearly both grown up in Scotland's capital around about the same time and it's so good to see buildings and streets, altered to this day, but bringing back floods of memories from the past. What insight to keep photos all these decades later. To have been able to create photos in the 60's and 70's was hard enough (and expensive) without the aid of digital cameras. George's talent hits everyone in the eye and he would surely win a Flickr prize for all-round performance.
Thank-you George. I feel I know you despite never having met you!
Stuart Montgomery's Lothian Buses."
March 15th, 2009
noxious airplane says:
"George's photographs combine carefully composed views with interesting buses from various UK fleets. It was, and indeed still is, rare for bus photographers to leave the City Centre / Bus Station areas to get their photographs, but George has taken care to do just that when he could.
Thank you for sharing your photos with other bus enthusiast 'flickrites'."
October 12th, 2008
- November 2005
- I am: