I started posting on this site more years ago now than I care to recall. Initially I shared my old bus slides, scanned and edited as appropriate; this I still do. Spurred on by others whose admirable work I see on these pages, I am now adding a greater number of contemporary images. Buses remain my passion, but the odd non-omnibological intruder will find its way in here.
The many helpful comments about my pictures have encouraged me to be more adventurous in what I take pictures of; I have a newly-discovered enthusiasm for recording the little-regarded overlooked details of the urban landscape.
That said - a warning. I am not above (or beneath?) movng bits of street furniture about or removing them altogether in an attempt to improve the overall balance of the picture. I cannot abide lamposts growing out of the roofs of buses! So beware - if the subject of my photograph is a bus, the surroundings should not be taken as evidence in a court of law.
I retain copyright on all my images but feel free to reproduce any bus picture provided it is fully acknowledged and it is made clear that the copyright remains with me.
I welcome invites to groups and to be a contact. However, if you invite me to be a contact and I can't see your photostream, or it has only a very few images, I will be unlikely to reciprocate. Similarly I will mostly only keep contacts who post images that interest me. To see what interests me, take a look at my photostream.
Photos of georgeupstairs (3)
- Scrap / Abandoned & Unloved Vehicles 2,530 photos, 211 members
- A través de... (through) (CLOSED) 35,137 photos, 2,231 members
- Dublin Bus - Bus Atha Cliath 5,050 photos, 207 members
- Bus Eireann - Irish Bus 6,748 photos, 199 members
- Ireland's Dismantled Railways 1,701 photos, 182 members
- Coras Iompair Eireann 1,285 photos, 195 members
- Merseyside Buses 27,137 photos, 116 members
- 5,000 + Buses 432 photos, 153 members
- 1,000 + Buses 6,446 photos, 170 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 24,271 photos, 41,733 members
- BUSES & COACHES + TRAMS OF SCOTLAND NO 30/60 GROUP RESTRICTION 47,761 photos, 196 members
- EDINBURGH'S BUSES AND COACHES NO 30/60 GROU 25,133 photos, 121 members
- Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station NO 30/60 GROUP RESTRICTION 4,099 photos, 93 members
- Old Edinburgh 521 photos, 62 members
- Double-deck buses and trams OUTSIDE the British Isles 1,436 photos, 98 members
- Through a glass, darkly 69,036 photos, 18,024 members
- Photography art for everyone 127,508 photos, 1,655 members
- British rear engined single deckers of the '60 & '70s 650 photos, 40 members
- UK Non-Standard Bus & Coach Liveries 3,243 photos, 235 members
- Non-Corporate Liveried Buses 6,333 photos, 106 members
- Road and Rail Transportation of the World 79,536 photos, 334 members
- Stagecoach Stripes 1,914 photos, 199 members
- New to SELNEC/GMT/LUT Leyland Nationals 72 photos, 19 members
- in explore 1,038,245 photos, 84,708 members
- ART, OR NOT ART? 1,727 photos, 48 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 126,973 photos, 437 members
- West Midlands Travel & Subsidiaries 4,254 photos, 127 members
- Rail UK - Class 504 Bury Electrics 515 photos, 71 members
- UK personalised number plates 4,163 photos, 100 members
- !Look straight up! (or down!) 7,878 photos, 438 members
- 100 Bicycles 3,721 photos, 781 members
- Accidental Wedding - Please Read Rules!!! 3,288 photos, 349 members
- Bus UK: Big Bus Company Worldwide 1,895 photos, 102 members
- JPT Bus Company of Manchester 684 photos, 60 members
- First Buses in Old Barbie Livery 10,053 photos, 272 members
- First Manchester's Wright Streetlites 388 photos, 140 members
- Roads Less Travelled 59,130 photos, 4,873 members
- Arriva Hybrid Buses 12,130 photos, 230 members
- Moving Picture 3,211 photos, 556 members
- Photos of QUALITY to Smile About ~ International ~ (moderated) 231,712 photos, 14,475 members
- Coach & Bus Week magazine Flickr Group 86,421 photos, 191 members
- Bus termini's in Edinburgh and the Lothians 401 photos, 24 members
- Monochrome Britain (no colour splashes) 107,286 photos, 2,242 members
- Cats and cat families 14,627 photos, 417 members
- Ruins and Rust~(NO PEOPLE) 47,768 photos, 2,629 members
- Triskaidekamania 100 photos, 56 members
- Stripey Saturdays 115 photos, 122 members
- Villages and small towns of the world 73,626 photos, 4,918 members
- Europe ! Europa ! 1,255,259 photos, 13,447 members
- BEDFORD TK,KM and TL lorries 5,739 photos, 264 members
- Ex Lothian Olympians 5 1 photo
- ex Lothian Olympians 4 16 photos
- Ex Lothian tridents 2 photos
- More trains 3 photos
- ex Lothian Olympians 3 17 photos
- trains 7 photos
- Horses 3 9 photos
- ex Lothian Olympians 2 17 photos
- VSC86 3 3 photos
- Horses 2 18 photos
- Yelloway 2 2 photos
- Yelloway 1 3 photos
- FSC182 9 photos
- VSC86 2 18 photos
- ex Lothian Olympians 1 18 photos
- Horses 12 photos
- VSC86 15 photos
- Edinburgh Alexander bodied Guy Arab IVs 10 photos
- Turkish buses 4 photos
- Bikes 6 photos
Stuart Montgomery says:
"George has the most fantastic collection of Edinburgh buses, especially old ones, and there are some pictures in his sets that will literally take your breath away just for the sheer nostalgia if not for their historic value. Every picture he shows looks entirely professional and worthy of showing in the public domain.
I am a relatively new member to Flickr and have found George to be so friendly and helpful, ever such the perfect gentleman too! I love all his stories about Edinburgh and often delivered with fine humour. We've clearly both grown up in Scotland's capital around about the same time and it's so good to see buildings and streets, altered to this day, but bringing back floods of memories from the past. What insight to keep photos all these decades later. To have been able to create photos in the 60's and 70's was hard enough (and expensive) without the aid of digital cameras. George's talent hits everyone in the eye and he would surely win a Flickr prize for all-round performance.
Thank-you George. I feel I know you despite never having met you!
Stuart Montgomery's Lothian Buses."
March 15th, 2009
noxious airplane says:
"George's photographs combine carefully composed views with interesting buses from various UK fleets. It was, and indeed still is, rare for bus photographers to leave the City Centre / Bus Station areas to get their photographs, but George has taken care to do just that when he could.
Thank you for sharing your photos with other bus enthusiast 'flickrites'."
October 12th, 2008
- November 2005
- I am: