It's very important to be astonished by everything.
I used to work here. Then I worked at the Internet Archive, leading the Open Library project. Now I work at Stamen as its Art Director.
I enjoy swearing and one of my favourite words is yoink.
Thanks to straup & fraying for letting me use photos they took of me: This and this.
A lot of my photos on Flickr have a Creative Commons license attached to them, so if you happen to stumble on one of those that you could make use of under that license, please go ahead! I've chosen to reserve all rights on most of the photos I've taken of family and friends in a personal or candid setting.
- Pubs RIP 3,091 photos, 109 members
- Dazzling Carpet 40 photos, 8 members
- October 10, 2010 1,735 photos, 2,443 members
- Spinny Bar 123 photos, 25 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,005 photos, 18,462 members
- Bookshelf Project 3,241 photos, 2,227 members
- Geek the Library 3,307 photos, 231 members
- Book Cover Club 53,129 photos, 3,679 members
- My Books 26,190 photos, 3,166 members
- Oxford 50,862 photos, 3,457 members
- Open Library 601 photos, 113 members
- By Accident 3,126 photos, 1,509 members
- Polaroid SX 70 109,463 photos, 15,979 members
- Smithsonian 2.0 Conference 339 photos, 38 members
- Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year 29,562 photos, 5,793 members
- NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory 246 photos, 1,017 members
- Flickr Commons 2,666 photos, 2,270 members
- Rev Dan Catt Appreciation Society 30 photos, 32 members
- mw2009 1,190 photos, 80 members
- Alisha and Paul's Kauai Wedding 1,947 photos, 33 members
- Me, Right Now 1,408 photos, 900 members
- Encyclopedia of Life Images 265,046 photos, 3,964 members
- Your Design City 766 photos, 794 members
- Beside the Seaside 16,061 photos, 636 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,803 photos, 2,999 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 293,714 photos, 6,786 members
- Modern Times: modernism in Australia 1,591 photos, 224 members
- Museum 168,438 photos, 6,566 members
- Little Museums 9,950 photos, 137 members
- Landing Around The World 159 photos, 186 members
- hardcore tree photography 2,443 photos, 1,013 members
- 120 challenge 1,221 photos, 171 members
- 90-Second Stories 36 photos, 449 members
- Flickr Video Favorites 318 photos, 194 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 913 photos, 583 members
- Chicken soup: every culture has its own version! 575 photos, 148 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 190,146 photos, 26,087 members
- Kodak Portra Lovers 62,009 photos, 3,634 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 15,264 photos, 3,880 members
- Lolsheviks 34 photos, 71 members
- Fundamentos Web 1,053 photos, 56 members
- Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim 45,317 photos, 4,409 members
- SA Central 56,211 photos, 1,105 members
- BBQ & Grilled Foods 12,030 photos, 1,546 members
- church on fire 2,071 photos, 112 members
- How We Are Now 4,943 photos, 2,614 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,548 members
- LOMO 223,862 photos, 38,246 members
- LOMO KOMPAKT AUTOMAT [LC-A] 76,689 photos, 3,650 members
- Photobooth Goggles and Headspiders 0 photos, 3 members
"I love George"
December 12th, 2008
"ahh...my brilliant and magnificent sister... where do i begin? she is very clever and pretty and has possibly the sharpest tongue in the west. she cooks like a kitchen goddess, writes like a nobel winner, has the voice of an angel, the enquiring mind of an explorer, and can chuck a tennis ball further than anyone i know. oh, she also has lovely hair. (ps. sorry Heather - she's already taken... but I can share...)"
August 12th, 2008
Wiley Wiggins says:
"George is made out of awesome. Please let me know if you come down for SXSW and need a place to stay, I have a spare room and would love to return the favor!"
February 28th, 2008
"George. She'll make you drink champagne."
January 13th, 2007
"G is the sane one in this insane world. She is smart, vibrant, realistic, dedicated, kind, witty and vveeerrryyy creative. This color loving cappy has already made her mark on the world and continues to add her essence to everything she touches - the Glo style.
You rock big time G. Thank you for being YOU."
May 17th, 2006
Kris Krug says:
"Optical delusions still themselves when you pass by in convexing pomp and sacral trance."
April 28th, 2006
"More people should like swearing, then Bees and I would be less pilloried by society for our foul mouths.
George likes swearing. This makes me happy. George also tells me off on occasion (don't tell her, but I like it). When she combines the two, it maketh me all warm and squirmy inside.
April 13th, 2006
"George is the bees knees. If I could adopt her as a sister, I would."
January 27th, 2006
"Who is this George person and how does she get so many testimonials?"
January 17th, 2006
"George, Georgie Parker, ...
Whatever guise she adopts, she's the greatest!"
January 12th, 2006
myla kent says:
"George is fabulous."
September 7th, 2005
"George has a nice laugh, and she makes other people laugh, so generally there is alot of laughing."
July 19th, 2005
"One of my (new) favorite colours is George."
June 12th, 2005
"George is insanely funny, wicked smart, and brings *major* fashion sense to Ludicorp.
She is definitely one of the top 5 coolest Australians working on Flickr right now."
February 25th, 2005
""Imagine this sung slightly out of tune:
George......oh George.... you are, you are..... George Oates. You like to row boats. Oh yes...yes you do...and you are rude. You know? Because YOU.... ARE.... GO GEORGE!""
January 9th, 2005
"George makes me laugh often. That about sums things up."
December 1st, 2004
"...in Vanilla Sky, David looks at the pictures on Sofia's fridge, smiles & says, 'I like your life'. That's how I feel, when I look at George's photos. (Sofia replies, 'Well, it's mine & you can't have it!' :)"
July 29th, 2004
The Lambertinis says:
"george. well really she's just lovely. talented too. should hear this woman sing! sings like aretha, cooks like nigella and chucks a ball like.... well someone who chucks a ball really well. boldly carving out a life in the land of lumberjacks and moose, much missed. good excuse to visit vankkie, but."
June 18th, 2004
April 15th, 2004
andy oates says:
"George is my SIS! I am lucky enough to have known George all my life, i even remember when she lay on my lap when she was fresh out of the womb. know what? she just gets better and better with time too. hmmmm... who the hell is georgie parker???"
April 3rd, 2004
"While the true origins of George are unknown at this time, researchers are working steadfast to enable the George all of us. So people, let's celebrate the George in all of us."
April 1st, 2004
"She found them in an old film canister, one so dusty with neglect as to make her think twice about opening it, but she did, and upon opening it she found the desiccated bodies of three insects - beetles of some kind - each a different metallic color.
That was how it began."
March 18th, 2004
"What is the mysterious quality that makes George so delightful to be around? I can't say. All I know is that a day after meeting her, I felt like we had known each other for years. Is "George" Australian for "super cool geek grrl"? Could be..."
February 16th, 2004
"George is one devoted developer toiling from dawn to darkness. But when the monitor turn off. Say hello to Georgie Parker, wild woman extrodionare"
March 15th, 2004
"While others might compare George to crack, I prefer to think of those A.C. Doyle stories where Sherlock Holmes is snorting coke and playing the violin while floating in some sort of aesthetic and intellectual nirvana."
February 17th, 2004
"The intrigue of George lies in the extreme variations present in her personality and interests. She's not crack; she's a test tube of fizzy, reacting goodness."
February 16th, 2004
"There are two things that keep me coming back to Flickr. The first is a crippling agoraphobia, and the second is George, whose personality is more addictive than crack, and shinier than a brand new penny."
February 12th, 2004
"George is a fabboo person to get a pint (or pitcher) with. Seriously, look her up & ask her down to the pub, you will have a great time!"
February 6th, 2004
georgie parker says:
"George reminds me a bit of Cat Woman. Out of work hours, she turns into... well... me!"
February 6th, 2004
- George Oates
- February 2004
- Adelaide, South Australia
- San Francisco, USA
- I am:
- a bit of george
- glo [at] abitofgeorge.com