Kevin Freeney 1919-1986 was a Signwriter from Dublin, Ireland.
"Dublin Street Life & Lore" by Kevin C. Kearns said of Kevin:
"Signwriting goes back at least three generations in his family. Back in the 1930's he rambled through Dublin's streets on a bike or with a pushcart carrying his paints and brushes. In that period the city's streetscapes were elegantly embroidered with handwritten shop and pub fascias. Having done "at least 700 pubs and shopfronts" in Dublin, the most famed streets — O'Connell, Henry, Grafton, and Capel— all carried his personalised three-dimensional relief lettering and ornamentation. His fellow craftsmen hailed him as a "Master".
Kevin was a proud father and loving husband who's family meant everything to him, but this profile is here firstly to showcase and remember his work and secondly because he himself would have been a Flickr member, because of his love of photography and gadgetry.
A lot of the content of this Flickr account was originally posted by Kevin's eldest son Kevin www.flickr.com/photos/freekev/ as a Group on Flickr and I, his son Paul www.flickr.com/photos/sebfotos/ had taken it over when I thought it might be best to give Kevin his own profile.
We (Kevin's family) do sometimes come across his work that we had not known about, but as time goes on and Dublin changes it happens less and less.
Kevin loved his city passionately and I believe it would break his heart to see it now changed beyond recognition and not for the better either.
Photos of A Gentleman of Letters (1)
A Gentleman of Letters' favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- To Parnassus or the Scaffold 1,996 photos, 371 members
- The Velvet Cell 22,049 photos, 662 members
- Signs of theTimes ©®™ (Sign Pictures) 65,078 photos, 5,958 members
- Morris Commercial J type, JB and Austin 101 (1949 - 1961). 418 photos, 75 members
- Ghostsigns 17,363 photos, 778 members
- Shop Fronts (Old Irish shops) 209 photos, 70 members
- Irish Pubs @ Home and Abroad 5,241 photos, 243 members
- DUBLIN PUBS 1,010 photos, 145 members
- Irish pubs 2,409 photos, 314 members
- All Pubs of the World / Все пабы всего мира 5,744 photos, 110 members
- Pubs-everywhere(Pub fronts) 21,531 photos, 694 members
- Pubs 44,247 photos, 976 members
- Pub Signs 21,408 photos, 761 members
- Dublin that me Da knew. 3,198 photos, 339 members
- Panel Vans or Wagons 9,729 photos, 311 members
- UK and Ireland! 271,374 photos, 3,024 members
- Derry 3,434 photos, 116 members
- Monograms 45 photos, 7 members
- Pepsi Cola <3 305 photos, 122 members
- S!gns 112,621 photos, 5,129 members
- It's A Sign 6,993 photos, 108 members
- Bike Shops and Mechanics 932 photos, 284 members
- Shop in&out 4,649 photos, 300 members
- Old shop exterior 1,191 photos, 110 members
- Shop Fronts 37,496 photos, 3,013 members
- Signs in Ireland 825 photos, 116 members
- *Remarkable Shop Signs* 20,441 photos, 1,450 members
- European Vans 21,013 photos, 1,599 members
- Austin Morris LD group 300 photos, 60 members
- Handpainted Signs of the World 6,554 photos, 563 members
- Signpaintr 8,569 photos, 952 members
- old signs 19,429 photos, 728 members
- graphic signs 1,154 photos, 206 members
- Sign City 266,776 photos, 11,799 members
- Vanishing Trades 1,425 photos, 269 members
- Artizan Craftsmen 101 photos, 27 members
- Craftsman and Artists 390 photos, 67 members
- Bread and Snack Food Trucks 5,376 photos, 355 members
A Gentleman of Letters doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Kevin Freeney
- March 2009