I am a California photographer whose subjects include the Sierra Nevada, the coastal redwoods, oaks and grasslands, the spectacular Pacific shoreline, the stark beauty of Death Valley and desert areas east of the Sierra, night photography, and the urban landscape of the state. I regard myself as incredibly lucky to have lived within driving (and hiking, and skiing...) distance of this remarkable range of compelling subjects since I was a small child.
G Dan Mitchell Photography
My reasons for being on Flickr include sharing photographs and ideas about photography with other Flickerites, and seeing the interesting and wonderful work from my contacts and others.
I am a Flickr admin for several groups that reflect my photographic interests - join any or all that interest you!
Sierra Nevada - Photographs from the Range of Light
Highway 120 - Tioga Pass Road
Muir Woods National Monument
San Francisco Black and White
2009 Amgen Tour of California
2008 Amgen Tour of California
... and ohters not yet listed here.
G Dan Mitchell Photography is my main web site, where I post a new photograph every day, along with commentary on various photography subjects. (This blog has an RSS feed.) You can become a member of the site and leave comments, discuss my photos and other posts, and ask questions.
My photographs have appeared within and on the covers of books , magazines (Backpacker, Yosemite Conservancy, etc.), in public and private installations, and journals... and even on a Triathlon t-shirt! Nearly 170 of my large prints of Death Valley are featured in guest rooms at the Stovepipe Wells Lodge in Death Valley National Park, and my prints are sold there and at Muir Woods National Monument.
All photographs are © Copyright G Dan Mitchell. All rights reserved. None of my Flickr photographs have been placed in the public domain, and any use of my photographs requires advance permission from G Dan Mitchell. No unauthorized use of my photographs is permitted under any circumstances.
Thank you for respecting my creative work and intellectual property rights - and for recognizing the significant investment in the time, equipment, and travel required to do my photography.
It pleases me when people find my photographs interesting, beautiful, and/or inspiring and would like to share their experience. If you would like to do this, feel free to include text links to the original posts on Flickr or my other web sites for those who want to see the photos. It is not OK to include the photographs themselves on your blog, website, or other source without permission.
(Special thanks to the fellow Flickr photographers who have been kind enough to leave testimonials on my profile page! :-)
(My brother Richard also posts at Flickr - lots of stuff from the Pacific Northwest.)
NOTE: I'm grateful to those who post comments and "fave" my photographs. However, I do have a few thoughts on how I prefer to participate in these things:
- When the comment seems more about the commenter than about the photograph - e.g., a cursory boilerplate comment is accompanied by the commenter's photographs and so forth - it seems a bit self-serving, no? I may delete such comments.
- I also prefer not to see giant badges that are many times the size of the comment.
- I am not a fan of "post X, comment Y" groups - I believe this sacrifices comment quality for quantity. If this is a problem relative to your group, please let me know and I'll quit your group and remove my photographs.
- I appreciate your invitations to add my photographs to your groups... but I will generally not add them to groups that restrict viewing, and I definitely won't them to a group whose collection I cannot see.
Photos of G Dan Mitchell (3)
- Firenze / Florence 35,756 photos, 3,583 members
- bella italia!! 123,504 photos, 3,991 members
- Italy . 131,655 photos, 4,749 members
- Italy 615,501 photos, 20,999 members
- Paris en Photo 234,281 photos, 11,439 members
- Paris PhotoShooters United 63,626 photos, 3,825 members
- Paris París Parigi (no postcard pics) 41,992 photos, 3,812 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 100,672 photos, 10,165 members
- France image 699,196 photos, 16,884 members
- France 674,222 photos, 12,545 members
- SF MOMA 2,104 photos, 286 members
- Whitney Museum 746 photos, 198 members
- Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge 873 photos, 67 members
- Cosumnes River Preserve 1,008 photos, 38 members
- California's Central Valley 28,540 photos, 745 members
- Nature 4,282,489 photos, 114,215 members
- Brooklyn Street Photography 3,659 photos, 913 members
- Brooklyn, New York Photographers 6,023 photos, 222 members
- Brooklyn Street 3,653 photos, 175 members
- Brooklyn 127,170 photos, 5,882 members
- Advanced Photography in the Digital Age (Invitation) 66,430 photos, 3,219 members
- California Central Valley - Rural Landscapes 488 photos, 29 members
- Explore Chicago 83,327 photos, 2,257 members
- Chicago Capture 39,680 photos, 767 members
- Chicago Architecture 56,017 photos, 3,284 members
- Chicago Icons 16,521 photos, 1,096 members
- Chicago, Chicago 903 photos, 366 members
- Nevada Travel 21,457 photos, 964 members
- Lake Tahoe 13,840 photos, 3,007 members
- Back Country 6,047 photos, 183 members
- Austria 126,543 photos, 2,127 members
- Yosemite Photography 6,026 photos, 1,023 members
- Olympic National Park 9,271 photos, 1,102 members
- Europe in Pictures 492,245 photos, 5,314 members
- Pictures Of England 518,155 photos, 5,785 members
- This Is England 384,204 photos, 3,776 members
- England 514,021 photos, 10,441 members
- Salzburg 19,560 photos, 1,493 members
- ***AUSTRIA*** photography 56,115 photos, 1,869 members
- Germany, Deutschland 509,551 photos, 6,588 members
- Bayern - Bavaria, Germany 95,542 photos, 2,325 members
- Streets Of Germany 7,568 photos, 303 members
- Germany 723,251 photos, 18,625 members
- Heidelberg, Germany 14,634 photos, 1,329 members
- London 1,137,025 photos, 37,206 members
- London: Dusk 'till Dawn 31,748 photos, 2,177 members
- London buildings 134,209 photos, 6,598 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 255 photos, 4,773 members
- London Streets 140,108 photos, 12,530 members
- Architecture in Europe 456,389 photos, 10,239 members
"Every time I start to think I have a clue about photography I see one of G Dan Mitchell's and realize yet again that there is so much more to learn to master this art.
Dan nails the technical aspects of photography, composition and subject matter to execute a perfect photo time and time again.
Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to keep up the hobby."
January 13th, 2010
"I've wrote only 5 testimonial since 4 years in Flickr , and I like to share My
respect and admiration for Dan , one of best PHOTOGRAPHER here , absolutly no interested to explore or others challenge forms maniacal characteristic of this web site , all your photo are perfect , in exposure in crop in taste , whitout more post processing , sometime I'm sorry when find no more comment in her photos , but probably he don't care , I will look and enjoy always him photostream !
PS. sorry my english still bad , also after 6 months in Australia ! hope you know what I mean !
June 23rd, 2009
Sherwood Harrington says:
"I just wrote this in the comment stream for one of my own photos, so I should repeat it here, where it really belongs:
If you're going to peruse Dan Mitchell's photostream, pack a lunch and be prepared to drop your dentures.
He's that good."
November 21st, 2008
The Man in Red says:
"An experience with Dans work will do something that most other photographers fail to do, it will make you better. He is one of the greatest assets of modern photography and deserves a spot as one of the greatest photographers of our time. With his experience and dedication he has become a master of his craft, the photographs he produces speak for themselves.
looking forward to that one day when things align just right...."
August 24th, 2008
"gdanmitchell's work is absolutely fantastic! Every time I look at his work I'm inspired to capture better images. The exposure, color and light in his photos is always spot on. His ability to compose beautiful images is amazing."
May 23rd, 2008
"I've discovered G Dan Mitchell's page on flickr and his outstanding site just a few days ago but I'm sure I'll return to his remarkable work frequently. Dan created a really impressive portfolio of American landscapes & other subjects.Good luck & great light!"
April 10th, 2008
E. Howe says:
"Dan is one of my mentors of photography. His work inspires me and makes me rethink what makes a good photograph. Thanks for sharing your views of the world!"
March 2nd, 2008
Frank Eleveld says:
"Dan's work is hard to capture in a few words. He's a tremendous landscape photographer, a master of fine detail and he surely knows how to play with light and shadow. His work in the high deserts of California is simply great - I can only dream and practice (and really hard at that!) that one day, I'll have the skill and vision of this great photographer."
February 22nd, 2008
"Dan and I have an odd connection. Although we've never met nor have we spoken yet we some how we frequently photograph common locations with in weeks if not days of each other. Even though we photograph common subjects I'm always impressed and inspired by Dan's unique perspective. Needless to say I never tire of checking in to see Dan's latest photographic work and would highly recommend adding Dan to your short list if you have a limited amount of time to view images on Flickr."
February 10th, 2008
Inge Fernau says:
"I found Dan's website a couple of years ago and he his a talented photographer. I visit his website frequently for up-dates.
May 6th, 2007
- G Dan Mitchell
- August 2005
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
- G Dan Mitchell Photography