I am a California photographer whose subjects include the Sierra Nevada, the coastal redwoods, oaks and grasslands, the spectacular Pacific shoreline, the stark beauty of Death Valley and desert areas east of the Sierra, night photography, and the urban landscape of the state. I regard myself as incredibly lucky to have lived within driving (and hiking, and skiing...) distance of this remarkable range of compelling subjects since I was a small child.
G Dan Mitchell Photography
My reasons for being on Flickr include sharing photographs and ideas about photography with other Flickerites, and seeing the interesting and wonderful work from my contacts and others.
I am a Flickr admin for several groups that reflect my photographic interests - join any or all that interest you!
Sierra Nevada - Photographs from the Range of Light
Highway 120 - Tioga Pass Road
Muir Woods National Monument
San Francisco Black and White
2009 Amgen Tour of California
2008 Amgen Tour of California
... and ohters not yet listed here.
G Dan Mitchell Photography is my main web site, where I post a new photograph every day, along with commentary on various photography subjects. (This blog has an RSS feed.) You can become a member of the site and leave comments, discuss my photos and other posts, and ask questions.
My photographs have appeared within and on the covers of books , magazines (Backpacker, Yosemite Conservancy, etc.), in public and private installations, and journals... and even on a Triathlon t-shirt! Nearly 170 of my large prints of Death Valley are featured in guest rooms at the Stovepipe Wells Lodge in Death Valley National Park, and my prints are sold there and at Muir Woods National Monument.
All photographs are © Copyright G Dan Mitchell. All rights reserved. None of my Flickr photographs have been placed in the public domain, and any use of my photographs requires advance permission from G Dan Mitchell. No unauthorized use of my photographs is permitted under any circumstances.
Thank you for respecting my creative work and intellectual property rights - and for recognizing the significant investment in the time, equipment, and travel required to do my photography.
It pleases me when people find my photographs interesting, beautiful, and/or inspiring and would like to share their experience. If you would like to do this, feel free to include text links to the original posts on Flickr or my other web sites for those who want to see the photos. It is not OK to include the photographs themselves on your blog, website, or other source without permission.
(Special thanks to the fellow Flickr photographers who have been kind enough to leave testimonials on my profile page! :-)
(My brother Richard also posts at Flickr - lots of stuff from the Pacific Northwest.)
NOTE: I'm grateful to those who post comments and "fave" my photographs. However, I do have a few thoughts on how I prefer to participate in these things:
- When the comment seems more about the commenter than about the photograph - e.g., a cursory boilerplate comment is accompanied by the commenter's photographs and so forth - it seems a bit self-serving, no? I may delete such comments.
- I also prefer not to see giant badges that are many times the size of the comment.
- I am not a fan of "post X, comment Y" groups - I believe this sacrifices comment quality for quantity. If this is a problem relative to your group, please let me know and I'll quit your group and remove my photographs.
- I appreciate your invitations to add my photographs to your groups... but I will generally not add them to groups that restrict viewing, and I definitely won't them to a group whose collection I cannot see.
Photos of G Dan Mitchell (3)
- Firenze / Florence 31,793 photos, 3,273 members
- bella italia!! 91,107 photos, 3,012 members
- Italy . 98,453 photos, 3,762 members
- Italy 499,693 photos, 18,694 members
- Paris en Photo 188,066 photos, 9,818 members
- Paris PhotoShooters United 44,942 photos, 2,882 members
- Paris París Parigi (no postcard pics) 35,544 photos, 3,339 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 82,931 photos, 8,753 members
- France image 559,689 photos, 15,549 members
- France 489,562 photos, 10,807 members
- SF MOMA 1,825 photos, 274 members
- Whitney Museum 320 photos, 180 members
- Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge 662 photos, 57 members
- Cosumnes River Preserve 604 photos, 34 members
- California's Central Valley 25,402 photos, 723 members
- Nature 3,050,266 photos, 95,897 members
- Brooklyn Street Photography 3,629 photos, 879 members
- Brooklyn, New York Photographers 4,721 photos, 188 members
- Brooklyn Street 2,980 photos, 145 members
- Brooklyn 121,978 photos, 5,689 members
- Advanced Photography in the Digital Age (Invitation) 63,452 photos, 2,846 members
- California Central Valley - Rural Landscapes 274 photos, 20 members
- Explore Chicago 73,323 photos, 2,123 members
- Chicago Capture 30,207 photos, 643 members
- Chicago Architecture 48,997 photos, 3,025 members
- Chicago Icons 13,031 photos, 954 members
- Chicago, Chicago 912 photos, 297 members
- Nevada Travel 17,157 photos, 836 members
- Lake Tahoe 13,303 photos, 2,115 members
- Back Country 4,669 photos, 181 members
- Austria 103,983 photos, 1,745 members
- Yosemite Photography 3,364 photos, 625 members
- Olympic National Park 7,855 photos, 974 members
- Europe in Pictures 429,312 photos, 4,812 members
- Pictures Of England 397,582 photos, 5,277 members
- This Is England 266,236 photos, 3,194 members
- England 420,471 photos, 9,577 members
- Salzburg 16,264 photos, 1,366 members
- ***AUSTRIA*** photography 37,079 photos, 1,432 members
- Germany, Deutschland 385,263 photos, 5,897 members
- Bayern - Bavaria, Germany 66,583 photos, 2,017 members
- Streets Of Germany 5,291 photos, 243 members
- Germany 563,933 photos, 16,898 members
- Heidelberg, Germany 12,536 photos, 1,229 members
- London 1,013,060 photos, 36,529 members
- London: Dusk 'till Dawn 25,229 photos, 1,861 members
- London buildings 109,000 photos, 5,824 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 269 photos, 4,283 members
- London Streets 111,876 photos, 9,996 members
- Architecture in Europe 311,806 photos, 7,725 members
"Every time I start to think I have a clue about photography I see one of G Dan Mitchell's and realize yet again that there is so much more to learn to master this art.
Dan nails the technical aspects of photography, composition and subject matter to execute a perfect photo time and time again.
Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to keep up the hobby."
January 13th, 2010
"I've wrote only 5 testimonial since 4 years in Flickr , and I like to share My
respect and admiration for Dan , one of best PHOTOGRAPHER here , absolutly no interested to explore or others challenge forms maniacal characteristic of this web site , all your photo are perfect , in exposure in crop in taste , whitout more post processing , sometime I'm sorry when find no more comment in her photos , but probably he don't care , I will look and enjoy always him photostream !
PS. sorry my english still bad , also after 6 months in Australia ! hope you know what I mean !
June 23rd, 2009
Sherwood Harrington says:
"I just wrote this in the comment stream for one of my own photos, so I should repeat it here, where it really belongs:
If you're going to peruse Dan Mitchell's photostream, pack a lunch and be prepared to drop your dentures.
He's that good."
November 21st, 2008
The Man in Red says:
"An experience with Dans work will do something that most other photographers fail to do, it will make you better. He is one of the greatest assets of modern photography and deserves a spot as one of the greatest photographers of our time. With his experience and dedication he has become a master of his craft, the photographs he produces speak for themselves.
looking forward to that one day when things align just right...."
August 24th, 2008
"gdanmitchell's work is absolutely fantastic! Every time I look at his work I'm inspired to capture better images. The exposure, color and light in his photos is always spot on. His ability to compose beautiful images is amazing."
May 23rd, 2008
"I've discovered G Dan Mitchell's page on flickr and his outstanding site just a few days ago but I'm sure I'll return to his remarkable work frequently. Dan created a really impressive portfolio of American landscapes & other subjects.Good luck & great light!"
April 10th, 2008
E. Howe says:
"Dan is one of my mentors of photography. His work inspires me and makes me rethink what makes a good photograph. Thanks for sharing your views of the world!"
March 2nd, 2008
Frank Eleveld says:
"Dan's work is hard to capture in a few words. He's a tremendous landscape photographer, a master of fine detail and he surely knows how to play with light and shadow. His work in the high deserts of California is simply great - I can only dream and practice (and really hard at that!) that one day, I'll have the skill and vision of this great photographer."
February 22nd, 2008
"Dan and I have an odd connection. Although we've never met nor have we spoken yet we some how we frequently photograph common locations with in weeks if not days of each other. Even though we photograph common subjects I'm always impressed and inspired by Dan's unique perspective. Needless to say I never tire of checking in to see Dan's latest photographic work and would highly recommend adding Dan to your short list if you have a limited amount of time to view images on Flickr."
February 10th, 2008
Inge Fernau says:
"I found Dan's website a couple of years ago and he his a talented photographer. I visit his website frequently for up-dates.
May 6th, 2007
- G Dan Mitchell
- August 2005
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
- G Dan Mitchell Photography