I am a California photographer whose subjects include the Sierra Nevada, the coastal redwoods, oaks and grasslands, the spectacular Pacific shoreline, the stark beauty of Death Valley and desert areas east of the Sierra, night photography, and the urban landscape of the state. I regard myself as incredibly lucky to have lived within driving (and hiking, and skiing...) distance of this remarkable range of compelling subjects since I was a small child.
G Dan Mitchell Photography
My reasons for being on Flickr include sharing photographs and ideas about photography with other Flickerites, and seeing the interesting and wonderful work from my contacts and others.
I am a Flickr admin for several groups that reflect my photographic interests - join any or all that interest you!
Sierra Nevada - Photographs from the Range of Light
Highway 120 - Tioga Pass Road
Muir Woods National Monument
San Francisco Black and White
2009 Amgen Tour of California
2008 Amgen Tour of California
... and ohters not yet listed here.
G Dan Mitchell Photography is my main web site, where I post a new photograph every day, along with commentary on various photography subjects. (This blog has an RSS feed.) You can become a member of the site and leave comments, discuss my photos and other posts, and ask questions.
My photographs have appeared within and on the covers of books , magazines (Backpacker, Yosemite Conservancy, etc.), in public and private installations, and journals... and even on a Triathlon t-shirt! Nearly 170 of my large prints of Death Valley are featured in guest rooms at the Stovepipe Wells Lodge in Death Valley National Park, and my prints are sold there and at Muir Woods National Monument.
All photographs are © Copyright G Dan Mitchell. All rights reserved. None of my Flickr photographs have been placed in the public domain, and any use of my photographs requires advance permission from G Dan Mitchell. No unauthorized use of my photographs is permitted under any circumstances.
Thank you for respecting my creative work and intellectual property rights - and for recognizing the significant investment in the time, equipment, and travel required to do my photography.
It pleases me when people find my photographs interesting, beautiful, and/or inspiring and would like to share their experience. If you would like to do this, feel free to include text links to the original posts on Flickr or my other web sites for those who want to see the photos. It is not OK to include the photographs themselves on your blog, website, or other source without permission.
(Special thanks to the fellow Flickr photographers who have been kind enough to leave testimonials on my profile page! :-)
(My brother Richard also posts at Flickr - lots of stuff from the Pacific Northwest.)
NOTE: I'm grateful to those who post comments and "fave" my photographs. However, I do have a few thoughts on how I prefer to participate in these things:
- When the comment seems more about the commenter than about the photograph - e.g., a cursory boilerplate comment is accompanied by the commenter's photographs and so forth - it seems a bit self-serving, no? I may delete such comments.
- I also prefer not to see giant badges that are many times the size of the comment.
- I am not a fan of "post X, comment Y" groups - I believe this sacrifices comment quality for quantity. If this is a problem relative to your group, please let me know and I'll quit your group and remove my photographs.
- I appreciate your invitations to add my photographs to your groups... but I will generally not add them to groups that restrict viewing, and I definitely won't them to a group whose collection I cannot see.
Photos of G Dan Mitchell (3)
- Firenze / Florence 32,080 photos, 3,295 members
- bella italia!! 93,753 photos, 3,102 members
- Italy . 101,266 photos, 3,854 members
- Italy 509,622 photos, 18,916 members
- Paris en Photo 192,449 photos, 9,976 members
- Paris PhotoShooters United 46,856 photos, 3,002 members
- Paris París Parigi (no postcard pics) 36,054 photos, 3,391 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 84,364 photos, 8,904 members
- France image 573,859 photos, 15,725 members
- France 507,780 photos, 10,987 members
- SF MOMA 1,888 photos, 278 members
- Whitney Museum 327 photos, 183 members
- Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge 689 photos, 59 members
- Cosumnes River Preserve 605 photos, 35 members
- California's Central Valley 25,773 photos, 725 members
- Nature 3,159,132 photos, 97,666 members
- Brooklyn Street Photography 3,641 photos, 882 members
- Brooklyn, New York Photographers 4,869 photos, 190 members
- Brooklyn Street 3,034 photos, 148 members
- Brooklyn 122,844 photos, 5,719 members
- Advanced Photography in the Digital Age (Invitation) 63,896 photos, 2,889 members
- California Central Valley - Rural Landscapes 299 photos, 21 members
- Explore Chicago 74,292 photos, 2,136 members
- Chicago Capture 31,377 photos, 654 members
- Chicago Architecture 49,765 photos, 3,052 members
- Chicago Icons 13,341 photos, 968 members
- Chicago, Chicago 912 photos, 302 members
- Nevada Travel 17,935 photos, 850 members
- Lake Tahoe 13,501 photos, 2,218 members
- Back Country 4,875 photos, 181 members
- Austria 106,100 photos, 1,785 members
- Yosemite Photography 3,562 photos, 672 members
- Olympic National Park 7,957 photos, 982 members
- Europe in Pictures 434,151 photos, 4,808 members
- Pictures Of England 407,419 photos, 5,315 members
- This Is England 274,072 photos, 3,251 members
- England 429,754 photos, 9,655 members
- Salzburg 16,775 photos, 1,376 members
- ***AUSTRIA*** photography 37,887 photos, 1,475 members
- Germany, Deutschland 395,319 photos, 5,968 members
- Bayern - Bavaria, Germany 68,617 photos, 2,049 members
- Streets Of Germany 5,550 photos, 254 members
- Germany 578,535 photos, 17,038 members
- Heidelberg, Germany 12,772 photos, 1,240 members
- London 1,025,998 photos, 36,649 members
- London: Dusk 'till Dawn 25,943 photos, 1,901 members
- London buildings 110,738 photos, 5,905 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 269 photos, 4,366 members
- London Streets 116,124 photos, 10,256 members
- Architecture in Europe 323,776 photos, 7,963 members
"Every time I start to think I have a clue about photography I see one of G Dan Mitchell's and realize yet again that there is so much more to learn to master this art.
Dan nails the technical aspects of photography, composition and subject matter to execute a perfect photo time and time again.
Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to keep up the hobby."
January 13th, 2010
"I've wrote only 5 testimonial since 4 years in Flickr , and I like to share My
respect and admiration for Dan , one of best PHOTOGRAPHER here , absolutly no interested to explore or others challenge forms maniacal characteristic of this web site , all your photo are perfect , in exposure in crop in taste , whitout more post processing , sometime I'm sorry when find no more comment in her photos , but probably he don't care , I will look and enjoy always him photostream !
PS. sorry my english still bad , also after 6 months in Australia ! hope you know what I mean !
June 23rd, 2009
Sherwood Harrington says:
"I just wrote this in the comment stream for one of my own photos, so I should repeat it here, where it really belongs:
If you're going to peruse Dan Mitchell's photostream, pack a lunch and be prepared to drop your dentures.
He's that good."
November 21st, 2008
The Man in Red says:
"An experience with Dans work will do something that most other photographers fail to do, it will make you better. He is one of the greatest assets of modern photography and deserves a spot as one of the greatest photographers of our time. With his experience and dedication he has become a master of his craft, the photographs he produces speak for themselves.
looking forward to that one day when things align just right...."
August 24th, 2008
"gdanmitchell's work is absolutely fantastic! Every time I look at his work I'm inspired to capture better images. The exposure, color and light in his photos is always spot on. His ability to compose beautiful images is amazing."
May 23rd, 2008
"I've discovered G Dan Mitchell's page on flickr and his outstanding site just a few days ago but I'm sure I'll return to his remarkable work frequently. Dan created a really impressive portfolio of American landscapes & other subjects.Good luck & great light!"
April 10th, 2008
E. Howe says:
"Dan is one of my mentors of photography. His work inspires me and makes me rethink what makes a good photograph. Thanks for sharing your views of the world!"
March 2nd, 2008
Frank Eleveld says:
"Dan's work is hard to capture in a few words. He's a tremendous landscape photographer, a master of fine detail and he surely knows how to play with light and shadow. His work in the high deserts of California is simply great - I can only dream and practice (and really hard at that!) that one day, I'll have the skill and vision of this great photographer."
February 22nd, 2008
"Dan and I have an odd connection. Although we've never met nor have we spoken yet we some how we frequently photograph common locations with in weeks if not days of each other. Even though we photograph common subjects I'm always impressed and inspired by Dan's unique perspective. Needless to say I never tire of checking in to see Dan's latest photographic work and would highly recommend adding Dan to your short list if you have a limited amount of time to view images on Flickr."
February 10th, 2008
Inge Fernau says:
"I found Dan's website a couple of years ago and he his a talented photographer. I visit his website frequently for up-dates.
May 6th, 2007
- G Dan Mitchell
- August 2005
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
- G Dan Mitchell Photography