I am a California photographer whose subjects include the Sierra Nevada, the coastal redwoods, oaks and grasslands, the spectacular Pacific shoreline, the stark beauty of Death Valley and desert areas east of the Sierra, night photography, and the urban landscape of the state. I regard myself as incredibly lucky to have lived within driving (and hiking, and skiing...) distance of this remarkable range of compelling subjects since I was a small child.
G Dan Mitchell Photography
My reasons for being on Flickr include sharing photographs and ideas about photography with other Flickerites, and seeing the interesting and wonderful work from my contacts and others.
I am a Flickr admin for several groups that reflect my photographic interests - join any or all that interest you!
Sierra Nevada - Photographs from the Range of Light
Highway 120 - Tioga Pass Road
Muir Woods National Monument
San Francisco Black and White
2009 Amgen Tour of California
2008 Amgen Tour of California
... and ohters not yet listed here.
G Dan Mitchell Photography is my main web site, where I post a new photograph every day, along with commentary on various photography subjects. (This blog has an RSS feed.) You can become a member of the site and leave comments, discuss my photos and other posts, and ask questions.
My photographs have appeared within and on the covers of books , magazines (Backpacker, Yosemite Conservancy, etc.), in public and private installations, and journals... and even on a Triathlon t-shirt! Nearly 170 of my large prints of Death Valley are featured in guest rooms at the Stovepipe Wells Lodge in Death Valley National Park, and my prints are sold there and at Muir Woods National Monument.
All photographs are © Copyright G Dan Mitchell. All rights reserved. None of my Flickr photographs have been placed in the public domain, and any use of my photographs requires advance permission from G Dan Mitchell. No unauthorized use of my photographs is permitted under any circumstances.
Thank you for respecting my creative work and intellectual property rights - and for recognizing the significant investment in the time, equipment, and travel required to do my photography.
It pleases me when people find my photographs interesting, beautiful, and/or inspiring and would like to share their experience. If you would like to do this, feel free to include text links to the original posts on Flickr or my other web sites for those who want to see the photos. It is not OK to include the photographs themselves on your blog, website, or other source without permission.
(Special thanks to the fellow Flickr photographers who have been kind enough to leave testimonials on my profile page! :-)
(My brother Richard also posts at Flickr - lots of stuff from the Pacific Northwest.)
NOTE: I'm grateful to those who post comments and "fave" my photographs. However, I do have a few thoughts on how I prefer to participate in these things:
- When the comment seems more about the commenter than about the photograph - e.g., a cursory boilerplate comment is accompanied by the commenter's photographs and so forth - it seems a bit self-serving, no? I may delete such comments.
- I also prefer not to see giant badges that are many times the size of the comment.
- I am not a fan of "post X, comment Y" groups - I believe this sacrifices comment quality for quantity. If this is a problem relative to your group, please let me know and I'll quit your group and remove my photographs.
- I appreciate your invitations to add my photographs to your groups... but I will generally not add them to groups that restrict viewing, and I definitely won't them to a group whose collection I cannot see.
Photos of G Dan Mitchell (2)
- Modern Photography in the Digital Age (Invitation Only) 31,045 photos, 1,182 members
- California Central Valley - Rural Landscapes 98 photos, 13 members
- Explore Chicago 64,403 photos, 1,929 members
- Chicago Capture 22,472 photos, 495 members
- Chicago Architecture 41,772 photos, 2,648 members
- Chicago Icons 10,428 photos, 800 members
- Chicago, Chicago 835 photos, 203 members
- Nevada Travel 15,104 photos, 730 members
- Lake Tahoe 12,268 photos, 1,852 members
- Back Country 3,083 photos, 161 members
- Austria 82,812 photos, 1,345 members
- Yosemite Photography - Invited? Please consider joining. 1,543 photos, 245 members
- Olympic National Park 6,920 photos, 869 members
- Europe in Pictures 384,322 photos, 4,675 members
- Pictures Of England 316,106 photos, 4,720 members
- This Is England 179,743 photos, 2,545 members
- England 334,376 photos, 8,531 members
- Salzburg 14,196 photos, 1,225 members
- ***AUSTRIA*** photography 21,464 photos, 918 members
- Germany, Deutschland 296,953 photos, 5,032 members
- Bayern - Bavaria, Germany 46,432 photos, 1,616 members
- Streets Of Germany 2,456 photos, 151 members
- Germany 421,501 photos, 14,634 members
- Heidelberg, Germany 10,705 photos, 1,142 members
- London 907,716 photos, 34,998 members
- London: Dusk 'till Dawn 19,419 photos, 1,515 members
- London buildings 86,508 photos, 4,915 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 244 photos, 3,965 members
- London Streets 73,380 photos, 8,039 members
- Architecture in Europe 197,809 photos, 5,003 members
- Europe at * Night * 128,820 photos, 11,327 members
- Europe ! Europa ! 545,296 photos, 7,948 members
- El Capitan Meadow 9 photos, 2 members
- America's Finest City - San Diego 21,971 photos, 826 members
- San Diego 128,078 photos, 5,665 members
- Wild Geese 7,363 photos, 1,336 members
- Geese and Swans 17,650 photos, 2,247 members
- The Beautiful Birds of California 30 photos, 18 members
- Birds Photos 1,769,366 photos, 64,749 members
- Birds birds birds birds! 267,233 photos, 25,432 members
- Arizona Nature 42,934 photos, 1,941 members
- Arizona, the great outdoors 22,138 photos, 762 members
- Arizona Thunderstorms / Storms / Haboobs 3,944 photos, 449 members
- Monument Valley 6,359 photos, 1,502 members
- Intimate Landscapes 3,270 photos, 386 members
- Monterey County And San Luis Obispo County California 3,704 photos, 67 members
- Scenic Byway 12 (Utah) 410 photos, 91 members
- US Route 12 1,150 photos, 174 members
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah 1,694 photos, 177 members
- Cedar Breaks National Monument 97 photos, 21 members
"Every time I start to think I have a clue about photography I see one of G Dan Mitchell's and realize yet again that there is so much more to learn to master this art.
Dan nails the technical aspects of photography, composition and subject matter to execute a perfect photo time and time again.
Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to keep up the hobby."
January 13th, 2010
"I've wrote only 5 testimonial since 4 years in Flickr , and I like to share My
respect and admiration for Dan , one of best PHOTOGRAPHER here , absolutly no interested to explore or others challenge forms maniacal characteristic of this web site , all your photo are perfect , in exposure in crop in taste , whitout more post processing , sometime I'm sorry when find no more comment in her photos , but probably he don't care , I will look and enjoy always him photostream !
PS. sorry my english still bad , also after 6 months in Australia ! hope you know what I mean !
June 23rd, 2009
Sherwood Harrington says:
"I just wrote this in the comment stream for one of my own photos, so I should repeat it here, where it really belongs:
If you're going to peruse Dan Mitchell's photostream, pack a lunch and be prepared to drop your dentures.
He's that good."
November 21st, 2008
The Man in Red says:
"An experience with Dans work will do something that most other photographers fail to do, it will make you better. He is one of the greatest assets of modern photography and deserves a spot as one of the greatest photographers of our time. With his experience and dedication he has become a master of his craft, the photographs he produces speak for themselves.
looking forward to that one day when things align just right...."
August 24th, 2008
"gdanmitchell's work is absolutely fantastic! Every time I look at his work I'm inspired to capture better images. The exposure, color and light in his photos is always spot on. His ability to compose beautiful images is amazing."
May 23rd, 2008
"I've discovered G Dan Mitchell's page on flickr and his outstanding site just a few days ago but I'm sure I'll return to his remarkable work frequently. Dan created a really impressive portfolio of American landscapes & other subjects.Good luck & great light!"
April 10th, 2008
E. Howe says:
"Dan is one of my mentors of photography. His work inspires me and makes me rethink what makes a good photograph. Thanks for sharing your views of the world!"
March 2nd, 2008
Frank Eleveld says:
"Dan's work is hard to capture in a few words. He's a tremendous landscape photographer, a master of fine detail and he surely knows how to play with light and shadow. His work in the high deserts of California is simply great - I can only dream and practice (and really hard at that!) that one day, I'll have the skill and vision of this great photographer."
February 22nd, 2008
"Dan and I have an odd connection. Although we've never met nor have we spoken yet we some how we frequently photograph common locations with in weeks if not days of each other. Even though we photograph common subjects I'm always impressed and inspired by Dan's unique perspective. Needless to say I never tire of checking in to see Dan's latest photographic work and would highly recommend adding Dan to your short list if you have a limited amount of time to view images on Flickr."
February 10th, 2008
Inge Fernau says:
"I found Dan's website a couple of years ago and he his a talented photographer. I visit his website frequently for up-dates.
May 6th, 2007
- G Dan Mitchell
- August 2005
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
- G Dan Mitchell Photography