I am a California photographer whose subjects include the Sierra Nevada, the coastal redwoods, oaks and grasslands, the spectacular Pacific shoreline, the stark beauty of Death Valley and desert areas east of the Sierra, night photography, and the urban landscape of the state. I regard myself as incredibly lucky to have lived within driving (and hiking, and skiing...) distance of this remarkable range of compelling subjects since I was a small child.
G Dan Mitchell Photography
My reasons for being on Flickr include sharing photographs and ideas about photography with other Flickerites, and seeing the interesting and wonderful work from my contacts and others.
I am a Flickr admin for several groups that reflect my photographic interests - join any or all that interest you!
Sierra Nevada - Photographs from the Range of Light
Highway 120 - Tioga Pass Road
Muir Woods National Monument
San Francisco Black and White
2009 Amgen Tour of California
2008 Amgen Tour of California
... and ohters not yet listed here.
G Dan Mitchell Photography is my main web site, where I post a new photograph every day, along with commentary on various photography subjects. (This blog has an RSS feed.) You can become a member of the site and leave comments, discuss my photos and other posts, and ask questions.
My photographs have appeared within and on the covers of books , magazines (Backpacker, Yosemite Conservancy, etc.), in public and private installations, and journals... and even on a Triathlon t-shirt! Nearly 170 of my large prints of Death Valley are featured in guest rooms at the Stovepipe Wells Lodge in Death Valley National Park, and my prints are sold there and at Muir Woods National Monument.
All photographs are © Copyright G Dan Mitchell. All rights reserved. None of my Flickr photographs have been placed in the public domain, and any use of my photographs requires advance permission from G Dan Mitchell. No unauthorized use of my photographs is permitted under any circumstances.
Thank you for respecting my creative work and intellectual property rights - and for recognizing the significant investment in the time, equipment, and travel required to do my photography.
It pleases me when people find my photographs interesting, beautiful, and/or inspiring and would like to share their experience. If you would like to do this, feel free to include text links to the original posts on Flickr or my other web sites for those who want to see the photos. It is not OK to include the photographs themselves on your blog, website, or other source without permission.
(Special thanks to the fellow Flickr photographers who have been kind enough to leave testimonials on my profile page! :-)
(My brother Richard also posts at Flickr - lots of stuff from the Pacific Northwest.)
NOTE: I'm grateful to those who post comments and "fave" my photographs. However, I do have a few thoughts on how I prefer to participate in these things:
- When the comment seems more about the commenter than about the photograph - e.g., a cursory boilerplate comment is accompanied by the commenter's photographs and so forth - it seems a bit self-serving, no? I may delete such comments.
- I also prefer not to see giant badges that are many times the size of the comment.
- I am not a fan of "post X, comment Y" groups - I believe this sacrifices comment quality for quantity. If this is a problem relative to your group, please let me know and I'll quit your group and remove my photographs.
- I appreciate your invitations to add my photographs to your groups... but I will generally not add them to groups that restrict viewing, and I definitely won't them to a group whose collection I cannot see.
Photos of G Dan Mitchell (2)
- Back Country 1,153 photos, 109 members
- Austria 72,484 photos, 973 members
- Yosemite Photography - Invited? Please consider joining. 688 photos, 74 members
- Olympic National Park 6,163 photos, 789 members
- Europe in Pictures 341,061 photos, 4,712 members
- Pictures Of England 256,403 photos, 4,235 members
- This Is England 134,785 photos, 2,004 members
- England 264,269 photos, 7,268 members
- Salzburg 12,657 photos, 1,055 members
- "AUSTRIA photography" 11,457 photos, 561 members
- Germany, Deutschland 236,848 photos, 4,255 members
- Bayern - Bavaria, Germany 30,367 photos, 1,170 members
- Streets Of Germany 1,035 photos, 80 members
- Germany 315,167 photos, 11,973 members
- Heidelberg, Germany 9,245 photos, 1,022 members
- London 792,429 photos, 33,180 members
- London: Dusk 'till Dawn 12,724 photos, 1,158 members
- London buildings 64,451 photos, 3,744 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 250 photos, 3,138 members
- London Streets 44,023 photos, 5,112 members
- Architecture in Europe 131,427 photos, 3,325 members
- Europe at * Night * 110,323 photos, 10,432 members
- Europe ! Europa ! 329,087 photos, 5,024 members
- El Capitan Meadow 9 photos, 2 members
- America's Finest City - San Diego 20,307 photos, 760 members
- San Diego 118,362 photos, 5,348 members
- Wild Geese 5,987 photos, 1,180 members
- Geese and Swans 15,103 photos, 2,039 members
- The Beautiful Birds of California 30 photos, 18 members
- Birds Photos 1,343,803 photos, 53,495 members
- Birds birds birds birds! 162,178 photos, 17,517 members
- Arizona Nature 37,743 photos, 1,730 members
- Arizona, the great outdoors 16,759 photos, 628 members
- Arizona Thunderstorms / Storms / Haboobs 3,206 photos, 378 members
- Monument Valley 5,437 photos, 1,296 members
- Intimate Landscapes 3,307 photos, 374 members
- Monterey County And San Luis Obispo County California 3,482 photos, 62 members
- Scenic Byway 12 (Utah) 405 photos, 84 members
- US Route 12 1,087 photos, 174 members
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah 1,387 photos, 163 members
- Cedar Breaks National Monument 89 photos, 20 members
- The Nature Conservancy 624,920 photos, 35,401 members
- Mendocino Perspective 84 photos, 10 members
- Mendocino County, California 6,961 photos, 472 members
- Mendocino County CA USA 992 photos, 43 members
- Mendocino Coast Botanical Garden 602 photos, 49 members
- Mendocino Coast 2,907 photos, 232 members
- Minimalist Landscapes 5,801 photos, 926 members
- Minimalist Landscapes: take the long view! 16,558 photos, 22,832 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,915,181 photos, 81,900 members
"Every time I start to think I have a clue about photography I see one of G Dan Mitchell's and realize yet again that there is so much more to learn to master this art.
Dan nails the technical aspects of photography, composition and subject matter to execute a perfect photo time and time again.
Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to keep up the hobby."
13th January, 2010
"I've wrote only 5 testimonial since 4 years in Flickr , and I like to share My
respect and admiration for Dan , one of best PHOTOGRAPHER here , absolutly no interested to explore or others challenge forms maniacal characteristic of this web site , all your photo are perfect , in exposure in crop in taste , whitout more post processing , sometime I'm sorry when find no more comment in her photos , but probably he don't care , I will look and enjoy always him photostream !
PS. sorry my english still bad , also after 6 months in Australia ! hope you know what I mean !
23rd June, 2009
Sherwood Harrington says:
"I just wrote this in the comment stream for one of my own photos, so I should repeat it here, where it really belongs:
If you're going to peruse Dan Mitchell's photostream, pack a lunch and be prepared to drop your dentures.
He's that good."
21st November, 2008
The Man in Red says:
"An experience with Dans work will do something that most other photographers fail to do, it will make you better. He is one of the greatest assets of modern photography and deserves a spot as one of the greatest photographers of our time. With his experience and dedication he has become a master of his craft, the photographs he produces speak for themselves.
looking forward to that one day when things align just right...."
24th August, 2008
"gdanmitchell's work is absolutely fantastic! Every time I look at his work I'm inspired to capture better images. The exposure, color and light in his photos is always spot on. His ability to compose beautiful images is amazing."
23rd May, 2008
"I've discovered G Dan Mitchell's page on flickr and his outstanding site just a few days ago but I'm sure I'll return to his remarkable work frequently. Dan created a really impressive portfolio of American landscapes & other subjects.Good luck & great light!"
10th April, 2008
E. Howe says:
"Dan is one of my mentors of photography. His work inspires me and makes me rethink what makes a good photograph. Thanks for sharing your views of the world!"
2nd March, 2008
Frank Eleveld says:
"Dan's work is hard to capture in a few words. He's a tremendous landscape photographer, a master of fine detail and he surely knows how to play with light and shadow. His work in the high deserts of California is simply great - I can only dream and practice (and really hard at that!) that one day, I'll have the skill and vision of this great photographer."
22nd February, 2008
"Dan and I have an odd connection. Although we've never met nor have we spoken yet we some how we frequently photograph common locations with in weeks if not days of each other. Even though we photograph common subjects I'm always impressed and inspired by Dan's unique perspective. Needless to say I never tire of checking in to see Dan's latest photographic work and would highly recommend adding Dan to your short list if you have a limited amount of time to view images on Flickr."
10th February, 2008
Inge Fernau says:
"I found Dan's website a couple of years ago and he his a talented photographer. I visit his website frequently for up-dates.
6th May, 2007
- G Dan Mitchell
- August 2005
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
- G Dan Mitchell Photography