I am a California photographer whose subjects include the Sierra Nevada, the coastal redwoods, oaks and grasslands, the spectacular Pacific shoreline, the stark beauty of Death Valley and desert areas east of the Sierra, night photography, and the urban landscape of the state. I regard myself as incredibly lucky to have lived within driving (and hiking, and skiing...) distance of this remarkable range of compelling subjects since I was a small child.
G Dan Mitchell Photography
My reasons for being on Flickr include sharing photographs and ideas about photography with other Flickerites, and seeing the interesting and wonderful work from my contacts and others.
I am a Flickr admin for several groups that reflect my photographic interests - join any or all that interest you!
Sierra Nevada - Photographs from the Range of Light
Highway 120 - Tioga Pass Road
Muir Woods National Monument
San Francisco Black and White
2009 Amgen Tour of California
2008 Amgen Tour of California
... and ohters not yet listed here.
G Dan Mitchell Photography is my main web site, where I post a new photograph every day, along with commentary on various photography subjects. (This blog has an RSS feed.) You can become a member of the site and leave comments, discuss my photos and other posts, and ask questions.
My photographs have appeared within and on the covers of books , magazines (Backpacker, Yosemite Conservancy, etc.), in public and private installations, and journals... and even on a Triathlon t-shirt! Nearly 170 of my large prints of Death Valley are featured in guest rooms at the Stovepipe Wells Lodge in Death Valley National Park, and my prints are sold there and at Muir Woods National Monument.
All photographs are © Copyright G Dan Mitchell. All rights reserved. None of my Flickr photographs have been placed in the public domain, and any use of my photographs requires advance permission from G Dan Mitchell. No unauthorized use of my photographs is permitted under any circumstances.
Thank you for respecting my creative work and intellectual property rights - and for recognizing the significant investment in the time, equipment, and travel required to do my photography.
It pleases me when people find my photographs interesting, beautiful, and/or inspiring and would like to share their experience. If you would like to do this, feel free to include text links to the original posts on Flickr or my other web sites for those who want to see the photos. It is not OK to include the photographs themselves on your blog, website, or other source without permission.
(Special thanks to the fellow Flickr photographers who have been kind enough to leave testimonials on my profile page! :-)
(My brother Richard also posts at Flickr - lots of stuff from the Pacific Northwest.)
NOTE: I'm grateful to those who post comments and "fave" my photographs. However, I do have a few thoughts on how I prefer to participate in these things:
- When the comment seems more about the commenter than about the photograph - e.g., a cursory boilerplate comment is accompanied by the commenter's photographs and so forth - it seems a bit self-serving, no? I may delete such comments.
- I also prefer not to see giant badges that are many times the size of the comment.
- I am not a fan of "post X, comment Y" groups - I believe this sacrifices comment quality for quantity. If this is a problem relative to your group, please let me know and I'll quit your group and remove my photographs.
- I appreciate your invitations to add my photographs to your groups... but I will generally not add them to groups that restrict viewing, and I definitely won't them to a group whose collection I cannot see.
Photos of G Dan Mitchell (2)
- Advanced Photography in the Digital Age (Invitation) 65,106 photos, 2,121 members
- California Central Valley - Rural Landscapes 130 photos, 15 members
- Explore Chicago 67,318 photos, 1,989 members
- Chicago Capture 24,343 photos, 534 members
- Chicago Architecture 43,426 photos, 2,766 members
- Chicago Icons 11,052 photos, 845 members
- Chicago, Chicago 910 photos, 231 members
- Nevada Travel 15,747 photos, 751 members
- Lake Tahoe 12,606 photos, 1,891 members
- Back Country 3,389 photos, 168 members
- Austria 86,325 photos, 1,434 members
- Yosemite Photography - Invited? Please consider joining. 2,039 photos, 341 members
- Olympic National Park 7,149 photos, 901 members
- Europe in Pictures 390,927 photos, 4,665 members
- Pictures Of England 332,760 photos, 4,864 members
- This Is England 193,190 photos, 2,714 members
- England 352,544 photos, 8,798 members
- Salzburg 14,844 photos, 1,267 members
- ***AUSTRIA*** photography 24,402 photos, 1,038 members
- Germany, Deutschland 314,858 photos, 5,241 members
- Bayern - Bavaria, Germany 50,630 photos, 1,735 members
- Streets Of Germany 3,008 photos, 172 members
- Germany 451,265 photos, 15,203 members
- Heidelberg, Germany 11,261 photos, 1,166 members
- London 932,019 photos, 35,400 members
- London: Dusk 'till Dawn 20,528 photos, 1,593 members
- London buildings 90,776 photos, 5,119 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 244 photos, 4,035 members
- London Streets 81,372 photos, 8,500 members
- Architecture in Europe 220,429 photos, 5,599 members
- Europe at * Night * 132,705 photos, 11,590 members
- Europe ! Europa ! 613,254 photos, 8,874 members
- El Capitan Meadow 9 photos, 2 members
- America's Finest City - San Diego 22,452 photos, 843 members
- San Diego 128,668 photos, 5,731 members
- Wild Geese 7,537 photos, 1,365 members
- Geese and Swans 18,018 photos, 2,297 members
- The Beautiful Birds of California 30 photos, 18 members
- Birds Photos 1,861,986 photos, 67,172 members
- Birds birds birds birds! 293,697 photos, 27,057 members
- Arizona Nature 44,460 photos, 1,998 members
- Arizona, the great outdoors 23,073 photos, 786 members
- Arizona Thunderstorms / Storms / Haboobs 4,106 photos, 473 members
- Monument Valley 6,545 photos, 1,561 members
- Intimate Landscapes 2,827 photos, 386 members
- Monterey County And San Luis Obispo County California 3,772 photos, 69 members
- Scenic Byway 12 (Utah) 423 photos, 94 members
- US Route 12 1,175 photos, 176 members
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah 1,734 photos, 182 members
- Cedar Breaks National Monument 105 photos, 22 members
"Every time I start to think I have a clue about photography I see one of G Dan Mitchell's and realize yet again that there is so much more to learn to master this art.
Dan nails the technical aspects of photography, composition and subject matter to execute a perfect photo time and time again.
Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to keep up the hobby."
January 13th, 2010
"I've wrote only 5 testimonial since 4 years in Flickr , and I like to share My
respect and admiration for Dan , one of best PHOTOGRAPHER here , absolutly no interested to explore or others challenge forms maniacal characteristic of this web site , all your photo are perfect , in exposure in crop in taste , whitout more post processing , sometime I'm sorry when find no more comment in her photos , but probably he don't care , I will look and enjoy always him photostream !
PS. sorry my english still bad , also after 6 months in Australia ! hope you know what I mean !
June 23rd, 2009
Sherwood Harrington says:
"I just wrote this in the comment stream for one of my own photos, so I should repeat it here, where it really belongs:
If you're going to peruse Dan Mitchell's photostream, pack a lunch and be prepared to drop your dentures.
He's that good."
November 21st, 2008
The Man in Red says:
"An experience with Dans work will do something that most other photographers fail to do, it will make you better. He is one of the greatest assets of modern photography and deserves a spot as one of the greatest photographers of our time. With his experience and dedication he has become a master of his craft, the photographs he produces speak for themselves.
looking forward to that one day when things align just right...."
August 24th, 2008
"gdanmitchell's work is absolutely fantastic! Every time I look at his work I'm inspired to capture better images. The exposure, color and light in his photos is always spot on. His ability to compose beautiful images is amazing."
May 23rd, 2008
"I've discovered G Dan Mitchell's page on flickr and his outstanding site just a few days ago but I'm sure I'll return to his remarkable work frequently. Dan created a really impressive portfolio of American landscapes & other subjects.Good luck & great light!"
April 10th, 2008
E. Howe says:
"Dan is one of my mentors of photography. His work inspires me and makes me rethink what makes a good photograph. Thanks for sharing your views of the world!"
March 2nd, 2008
Frank Eleveld says:
"Dan's work is hard to capture in a few words. He's a tremendous landscape photographer, a master of fine detail and he surely knows how to play with light and shadow. His work in the high deserts of California is simply great - I can only dream and practice (and really hard at that!) that one day, I'll have the skill and vision of this great photographer."
February 22nd, 2008
"Dan and I have an odd connection. Although we've never met nor have we spoken yet we some how we frequently photograph common locations with in weeks if not days of each other. Even though we photograph common subjects I'm always impressed and inspired by Dan's unique perspective. Needless to say I never tire of checking in to see Dan's latest photographic work and would highly recommend adding Dan to your short list if you have a limited amount of time to view images on Flickr."
February 10th, 2008
Inge Fernau says:
"I found Dan's website a couple of years ago and he his a talented photographer. I visit his website frequently for up-dates.
May 6th, 2007
- G Dan Mitchell
- August 2005
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
- G Dan Mitchell Photography