I graduated from Syracuse University in 1996 with a Degree in Fine Arts. I took my first photo class in London, 1995 and have been hooked ever since. When in London I even managed to get the teacher to give me an extra set of key to the darkroom so I could work at night. Since then I have been working mostly in medium and large format film and alternative methods.
I live in and work in New York City but I like to travel and have visited places like London, Athens, Florence, Rome, Bologna and Madrid. Recently I lived and work in Argentina for two years working on a few projects.
Here in New York I participated in the Vague Terrain: Manhattanville, a group show about Manhattanville and the changing of the community by Colombia University at The City College of New York.
The my most recent show was a group show about that dealt with the economy, also shown at The City College on New York.
The MTA has chose one of my photos: "Cold Fingers Reach Into The Night Air" along with four other people to represent artists from Washington Heights and Inwood to hang in the subway for a year.
My photos have been published in a few magazines including a Photo of Anette Betty in the first issue of Fotoblur. "Highbridge Tower 3" was published in SHOTS Magazine Issue #108 and my series "Coney Island Lost" was published in Square magazine.
Most of my work is centered around urban development and it's impact on the people who live there. About the disappearing neighborhoods and void that is often left. I use my camera to evoke feelings of what the lost and forgotten places used to be like. The idea that not every area has to be full and productive. That some places are more free and grow in a unique way outside of the confines of modern urban society.
" Member FWF#2496"
- Impossible Instant Lab photos 2,007 photos, 262 members
- Folding medium format cameras 24,642 photos, 1,599 members
- Agfa Black & White 3,447 photos, 346 members
- Agfa Isolettes 5,057 photos, 672 members
- Canon Canonet QL17 G-lll 30,497 photos, 4,197 members
- polaroid transfer sharing 302 photos, 40 members
- The Impossible Project Film Manipulation 1,102 photos, 683 members
- Polaroid Image Transfers & Emulsion Lifts 4,631 photos, 1,242 members
- The new Caffenol Home and Other fun of Alchemy 7,513 photos, 731 members
- Fujifilm INSTANT - (Peel Apart Film Only) 20,900 photos, 2,438 members
- I Shoot Film 2,405,072 photos, 99,493 members
- The Long Exposure 36,011 photos, 3,889 members
- 8x10 5,475 photos, 913 members
- Impossible PZ-680 CP Film 329 photos, 72 members
- Impossible PX/PZ CP Film 4,129 photos, 167 members
- 'RoidWeek 2012 3,141 photos, 1,049 members
- flickr (unofficial) 3,779,836 photos, 99,462 members
- Bellows 1,097 photos, 169 members
- Impossible 8x10 293 photos, 182 members
- Polaroid Spectra 20,953 photos, 2,435 members
- Light and Everything 466 photos, 1,073 members
- The Visual Science Lab 2,389 photos, 372 members
- instant gratification 78,897 photos, 2,408 members
- Film Destroyers 12,559 photos, 1,348 members
- Peel-Apart Instant Photography 10,315 photos, 615 members
- The Impossible Night (Impossible Film after Dark) 1,114 photos, 235 members
- Inwood, Washington Heights, Harlem 138 photos, 44 members
- Polaroid Goop 2,245 photos, 718 members
- °POLAROID TYPE 100&80 FILM° 9,047 photos, 372 members
- Polaroid Chocolate 3,053 photos, 357 members
- Film Photography Podcast 247,418 photos, 7,303 members
- Polaroid 292,603 photos, 30,174 members
- Polaroid Land Camera 48,176 photos, 5,540 members
- Ghost Signs 29,460 photos, 2,247 members
- Impossible PX Color 7,774 photos, 634 members
- Impossible Project PX680 film 8,102 photos, 764 members
- SX-70 21,966 photos, 1,475 members
- Polaroid Transparencies 10 photos, 7 members
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,129 photos, 1,283 members
- Lost & Taken Reader Artwork 604 photos, 116 members
- PX / PZ / 8x10 / PQ Silver Shade Film by The Impossible Project 19,473 photos, 2,491 members
- Polanoiders (NO FAKE POLAROIDS) 58,545 photos, 2,287 members
- Cut Off Places 16,481 photos, 3,095 members
- Polaroid SX 70 106,878 photos, 14,927 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 138,732 photos, 9,247 members
- Portrait by The Impossible Project 6,090 photos, 1,057 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 12,461 photos, 2,109 members
- Fraction Magazine 26,747 photos, 2,875 members
- Murder Shack 8,103 photos, 1,198 members
- ~Dark Vintage~ 3,007 photos, 283 members
"i´ve been planning to visit New York for years and Gregbrophy´s photostream was the final drop that made me do it. to my surprise the city was not exactly the same. don´t get me wrong: the place is really interesting and i will definitely try to visit it again more than once, but Gregbrophy really has an eye to see it differently and generous enough to share his beautiful vision with us. thank you."
January 25th, 2009
- Greg Brophy
- March 2005
- New York City
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Greg Brophy Photography