I graduated from Syracuse University in 1996 with a Degree in Fine Arts. I took my first photo class in London, 1995 and have been hooked ever since. When in London I even managed to get the teacher to give me an extra set of key to the darkroom so I could work at night. Since then I have been working mostly in medium and large format film and alternative methods.
I live in and work in New York City but I like to travel and have visited places like London, Athens, Florence, Rome, Bologna and Madrid. Recently I lived and work in Argentina for two years working on a few projects.
Here in New York I participated in the Vague Terrain: Manhattanville, a group show about Manhattanville and the changing of the community by Colombia University at The City College of New York.
The my most recent show was a group show about that dealt with the economy, also shown at The City College on New York.
The MTA has chose one of my photos: "Cold Fingers Reach Into The Night Air" along with four other people to represent artists from Washington Heights and Inwood to hang in the subway for a year.
My photos have been published in a few magazines including a Photo of Anette Betty in the first issue of Fotoblur. "Highbridge Tower 3" was published in SHOTS Magazine Issue #108 and my series "Coney Island Lost" was published in Square magazine.
Most of my work is centered around urban development and it's impact on the people who live there. About the disappearing neighborhoods and void that is often left. I use my camera to evoke feelings of what the lost and forgotten places used to be like. The idea that not every area has to be full and productive. That some places are more free and grow in a unique way outside of the confines of modern urban society.
" Member FWF#2496"
- Impossible Instant Lab photos 1,862 photos, 247 members
- Folding medium format cameras 23,458 photos, 1,562 members
- Agfa Black & White 2,991 photos, 325 members
- Agfa Isolettes 4,848 photos, 641 members
- Canon Canonet QL17 G-lll 29,068 photos, 3,992 members
- polaroid transfer sharing 289 photos, 36 members
- The Impossible Project Film Manipulation 1,107 photos, 654 members
- Polaroid Image Transfers & Emulsion Lifts 4,598 photos, 1,230 members
- The new Caffenol Home and Other fun of Alchemy 7,125 photos, 678 members
- Fujifilm INSTANT - (Peel Apart Film Only) 20,526 photos, 2,356 members
- I Shoot Film 2,337,154 photos, 95,707 members
- The Long Exposure 24,786 photos, 2,833 members
- 8x10 5,272 photos, 866 members
- Impossible PZ-680 CP Film 326 photos, 73 members
- Impossible PX/PZ CP Film 4,079 photos, 167 members
- 'RoidWeek 2012 3,180 photos, 1,062 members
- flickr (unofficial) 3,137,935 photos, 94,044 members
- Bellows 1,036 photos, 165 members
- Impossible 8x10 247 photos, 164 members
- Polaroid Spectra 20,639 photos, 2,391 members
- Light and Everything 474 photos, 1,062 members
- The Visual Science Lab 2,622 photos, 373 members
- instant gratification 77,556 photos, 2,367 members
- Film Destroyers 11,432 photos, 1,285 members
- Peel-Apart Instant Photography 9,833 photos, 549 members
- The Impossible Night (Impossible Film after Dark) 1,060 photos, 230 members
- Inwood, Washington Heights, Harlem 122 photos, 43 members
- Polaroid Goop 2,147 photos, 698 members
- °POLAROID TYPE 100&80 FILM° 8,868 photos, 363 members
- Polaroid Chocolate 2,983 photos, 350 members
- Film Photography Podcast 217,341 photos, 6,614 members
- Polaroid 289,415 photos, 29,010 members
- Polaroid Land Camera 47,161 photos, 5,364 members
- Ghost Signs 28,225 photos, 2,210 members
- Impossible PX Color 7,752 photos, 620 members
- Impossible Project PX680 film 8,259 photos, 772 members
- SX-70 21,490 photos, 1,431 members
- Polaroid Transparencies 10 photos, 7 members
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,164 photos, 1,286 members
- Lost & Taken Reader Artwork 581 photos, 116 members
- PX / PZ / 8x10 / PQ Silver Shade Film by The Impossible Project 19,725 photos, 2,487 members
- Polanoiders (NO FAKE POLAROIDS) 57,661 photos, 2,249 members
- Cut Off Places 14,658 photos, 2,820 members
- Polaroid SX 70 106,066 photos, 14,027 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 134,493 photos, 8,990 members
- Portrait by The Impossible Project 5,817 photos, 1,022 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 12,217 photos, 2,029 members
- Fraction Magazine 27,740 photos, 2,861 members
- Murder Shack 7,859 photos, 1,196 members
- ~Dark Vintage~ 3,026 photos, 280 members
"i´ve been planning to visit New York for years and Gregbrophy´s photostream was the final drop that made me do it. to my surprise the city was not exactly the same. don´t get me wrong: the place is really interesting and i will definitely try to visit it again more than once, but Gregbrophy really has an eye to see it differently and generous enough to share his beautiful vision with us. thank you."
January 25th, 2009
- Greg Brophy
- March 2005
- New York City
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Greg Brophy Photography