I graduated from Syracuse University in 1996 with a Degree in Fine Arts. I took my first photo class in London, 1995 and have been hooked ever since. When in London I even managed to get the teacher to give me an extra set of key to the darkroom so I could work at night. Since then I have been working mostly in medium and large format film and alternative methods.
I live in and work in New York City but I like to travel and have visited places like London, Athens, Florence, Rome, Bologna and Madrid. Recently I lived and work in Argentina for two years working on a few projects.
Here in New York I participated in the Vague Terrain: Manhattanville, a group show about Manhattanville and the changing of the community by Colombia University at The City College of New York.
The my most recent show was a group show about that dealt with the economy, also shown at The City College on New York.
The MTA has chose one of my photos: "Cold Fingers Reach Into The Night Air" along with four other people to represent artists from Washington Heights and Inwood to hang in the subway for a year.
My photos have been published in a few magazines including a Photo of Anette Betty in the first issue of Fotoblur. "Highbridge Tower 3" was published in SHOTS Magazine Issue #108 and my series "Coney Island Lost" was published in Square magazine.
Most of my work is centered around urban development and it's impact on the people who live there. About the disappearing neighborhoods and void that is often left. I use my camera to evoke feelings of what the lost and forgotten places used to be like. The idea that not every area has to be full and productive. That some places are more free and grow in a unique way outside of the confines of modern urban society.
" Member FWF#2496"
- Impossible Instant Lab photos 1,845 photos, 240 members
- Folding medium format cameras 23,351 photos, 1,550 members
- Agfa Black & White 2,892 photos, 321 members
- Agfa Isolettes 4,788 photos, 632 members
- Canon Canonet QL17 G-lll 28,617 photos, 3,929 members
- polaroid transfer sharing 289 photos, 36 members
- The Impossible Project Film Manipulation 1,074 photos, 644 members
- Polaroid Image Transfers & Emulsion Lifts 4,557 photos, 1,223 members
- The new Caffenol Home and Other fun of Alchemy 7,274 photos, 669 members
- Fujifilm INSTANT - (Peel Apart Film Only) 20,410 photos, 2,343 members
- I Shoot Film 2,322,995 photos, 94,785 members
- The Long Exposure 22,755 photos, 2,648 members
- 8x10 5,201 photos, 860 members
- Impossible PZ-680 CP Film 326 photos, 73 members
- Impossible PX/PZ CP Film 4,062 photos, 166 members
- 'RoidWeek 2012 3,184 photos, 1,068 members
- flickr (unofficial) 3,001,761 photos, 92,803 members
- Bellows 1,032 photos, 164 members
- Impossible 8x10 242 photos, 160 members
- Polaroid Spectra 20,685 photos, 2,374 members
- Light and Everything 477 photos, 1,060 members
- The Visual Science Lab 2,629 photos, 372 members
- instant gratification 76,843 photos, 2,367 members
- Film Destroyers 10,908 photos, 1,263 members
- Peel-Apart Instant Photography 9,662 photos, 535 members
- The Impossible Night (Impossible Film after Dark) 1,041 photos, 224 members
- Inwood, Washington Heights, Harlem 122 photos, 43 members
- Polaroid Goop 2,132 photos, 696 members
- °POLAROID TYPE 100&80 FILM° 8,810 photos, 357 members
- Polaroid Chocolate 2,989 photos, 346 members
- Film Photography Podcast 209,638 photos, 6,428 members
- Polaroid 287,942 photos, 28,646 members
- Polaroid Land Camera 46,681 photos, 5,314 members
- Ghost Signs 28,075 photos, 2,200 members
- Impossible PX Color 7,692 photos, 615 members
- Impossible Project PX680 film 8,272 photos, 773 members
- SX-70 21,338 photos, 1,420 members
- Polaroid Transparencies 10 photos, 7 members
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,172 photos, 1,289 members
- Lost & Taken Reader Artwork 579 photos, 116 members
- PX / PZ / 8x10 / PQ Silver Shade Film by The Impossible Project 19,645 photos, 2,487 members
- Polanoiders (NO FAKE POLAROIDS) 57,303 photos, 2,241 members
- Cut Off Places 14,068 photos, 2,751 members
- Polaroid SX 70 105,296 photos, 13,786 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 132,654 photos, 8,928 members
- Portrait by The Impossible Project 5,754 photos, 1,007 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 12,090 photos, 2,009 members
- Fraction Magazine 27,885 photos, 2,856 members
- Murder Shack 7,859 photos, 1,195 members
- ~Dark Vintage~ 3,044 photos, 280 members
"i´ve been planning to visit New York for years and Gregbrophy´s photostream was the final drop that made me do it. to my surprise the city was not exactly the same. don´t get me wrong: the place is really interesting and i will definitely try to visit it again more than once, but Gregbrophy really has an eye to see it differently and generous enough to share his beautiful vision with us. thank you."
January 25th, 2009
- Greg Brophy
- March 2005
- New York City
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Greg Brophy Photography