NOTE: Until recently, most of my photos on Flickr were published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licence. They are now available under the Attribution licence, so all you need to do is put my name somewhere near the photo, wherever you re-publish it. And if you're not publishing it, feel free to use it. But do check first to make sure that it's not an ALL RIGHTS RESERVED photo. Photos of political events (marches, protests, meetings) have a CC0 (Public Domain Dedication) licence and can be used freely for any purpose. The licence on some of my photos has changed from the CC Attribution Share-Alike licence to All Rights Reserved. See below for details.
My best stuff
If you only want to see what I consider to be my best photos, look at the Fine Art set, the My Favourites set for photos taken with my DSLR or compacts, and at the Mobile Favourites set for those taken with the various cameraphones I've owned.
My photographic history
I got serious about photography when I discovered Flickr's Explore 7 Days Interesting page. So in January 2007 I bought my Casio EX-Z700. Though a good compact, this wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do so I got a Canon S3is at the end of May 2007. This amazing camera helped me take my photography to new levels, but it still wasn't enough.
So, thanks to a small legacy, on 29th March 2007 I bought my Canon EOS 40D plus a few lenses and some other kit. Then I moved to a Nikon D5100, and these days to a Sony mirrorless camera. I also have a Panasonic TZ70 30x superzoom which I use as a pocket camera.
Photography is my main hobby. I used to run Linux and did pretty much all of my post-processing in the Gimp and Picasa, but now I use ON1 Photo Raw on Windows.
Most of my photos on Flickr are under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license, so you can use them as royalty-free stock as long as a) you credit me; and b) if you publish an image based on my picture, it must be released under the same or a similar license. As owner of the photos, I reserve the right to change this at any time. If I do, I'll give notice here and in the comments for the photos that this decision affects.
Some of the photos, particularly those in the Fine Art and The Mono Series sets, are All Rights Reserved and may not be used without explicit permission in writing from me, either by letter or by email.
Using my photos
To date, my photos have been used on a few thousand web pages and blogs including such high-profile sites as Mashable, Lifehacker, and Etsy, and also quite a few on Wikipedia. If you do use one of my photos, it's best to download it from Flickr rather than link to it as I can't guarantee it will stay here (I use Flickr as my online backup rather than purely as a showcase). My photos on Flickr were saved at around 80% quality. If you want 100% quality versions, please e-mail me at
I've also been uploading photos taken with my various mobile phones. These aren't intended to be used as stock photos; they're more for me to play around and have fun with. You can, of course, use them if you like under the same CC license as the rest of my photos. But be aware that the image quality won't be up to the quality of the DSLR photos and I'll most likely have heavily processed them.
The best way to attribute my photos on your website is to put something like "Photo by Garry Knight" below it, or near it, or at least somewhere on the page and, if you can, please link it back to the Flickr photo page.
I'm also on Google+ so if you're on there too, please feel free to add me to a Circle, and on 500px. In both cases, just search for my name as 'Garry Knight' or 'garryknight'.
It has been brought to my attention that a website has misused one of my photos. An image of a teenager wearing bright colours and listening to music on headphones, tagged with words like "music", "colour", "listen", "girl", and "headphones" was used to illustrate an article on drug abuse, the headline of which appeared to be related to the subject of the photo. The lady in question has objected to the use of the photo in this way.
This is not acceptable. Not to her as subject nor to me as photographer.
If you're planning to use one of my photos, please think about what you're doing and exercise some intelligence when it comes to choosing which photo goes with which topic.
I don't want to have to stop publishing Creative Commons photos but if this kind of misuse continues, I will certainly do so.
- Essex 55,588 photos, 938 members
- A SHOW HOUSE 17,668 photos, 1,646 members
- SONY ILCE-6000/6300/6500 224,030 photos, 9,481 members
- Sony A6000 77,947 photos, 3,507 members
- Shots from your Sony A6000 37,025 photos, 2,544 members
- Sony Alpha 6000 233,441 photos, 10,332 members
- Camden 22,705 photos, 1,702 members
- Shop Windows 28,397 photos, 2,116 members
- SHOP WINDOW 21,074 photos, 1,834 members
- CHRISTMAS*A Magical time of the year* 34,375 photos, 4,467 members
- Christmas All Year 30,483 photos, 3,956 members
- markets 43,755 photos, 3,197 members
- Markets of the world 52,214 photos, 4,918 members
- Food & drinks all over the world 37,541 photos, 1,429 members
- Panasonic Lumix Users 233,566 photos, 3,839 members
- Panasonic Lumix Group 38,596 photos, 829 members
- Panasonic Lumix 79,203 photos, 850 members
- Panasonic Lumix DMC - Group 54,067 photos, 995 members
- Panasonic TZ Users 28,976 photos, 512 members
- Panasonic Lumix Lovers 311,623 photos, 4,162 members
- Your Best Shot 2017 5,919 photos, 7,681 members
- Snapseed Photo Share 127,252 photos, 3,592 members
- GARDEN FAVORITES 63,815 photos, 2,009 members
- Parks 50,889 photos, 1,860 members
- Zombie Walks 37,075 photos, 1,951 members
- South West England 110,544 photos, 1,440 members
- Houses and Homes exteriors 92,801 photos, 7,153 members
- Buildings, Angles and Arches 70,348 photos, 4,850 members
- Architecture Photography 340,952 photos, 13,035 members
- A STATUE..PLAQUES 7,081 photos, 242 members
- Kent 103,996 photos, 2,729 members
- Instagram Lovers 12,333 photos, 381 members
- Instagram London 1,420 photos, 116 members
- Instagram Enthusiasts 8,070 photos, 272 members
- Marches & Protests: photos & art of the resistance 3,182 photos, 168 members
- Bushy Park 8,565 photos, 406 members
- Wildlife UK 368,617 photos, 6,089 members
- Wildlife of the British Isles 304,294 photos, 4,811 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 942,782 photos, 39,526 members
- Seaside UK 37,606 photos, 2,285 members
- Seaside Photography 53,165 photos, 2,282 members
- Sony Photographing. 254,748 photos, 4,763 members
- Sony HX60 7,218 photos, 183 members
- Sunset light 58,605 photos, 29,074 members
- Sunsets over the City 130,689 photos, 17,565 members
- Boats 405,784 photos, 28,304 members
- Weymouth & Portland 11,999 photos, 488 members
- Dorset 76,346 photos, 2,869 members
- Your ON1 Images - No Limits 10,908 photos, 132 members
- Beckenham, London 2,637 photos, 215 members
garryknight doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Garry Knight
- May 2007
- London, England
- I am:
- Garry Knight on Google+