NOTE: Until recently, most of my photos on Flickr were published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licence. They are now available under the Attribution licence, so all you need to do is put my name somewhere near the photo, wherever you re-publish it. And if you're not publishing it, feel free to use it. But do check first to make sure that it's not an ALL RIGHTS RESERVED photo.
I should start off by saying that Flickr is my third offline backup so everything is on here: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Well, the good and the bad - I don't do self-portraits. :-)
If you only want to see what I consider to be my best photos, look at the Fine Art set, the My Favourites set for photos taken with my DSLR or compacts, and at the Mobile Favourites set for those taken with my cameraphone.
Note: The licence on some of my photos has changed from the CC Attribution Share-Alike licence to All Rights Reserved. See below for details.
I got serious about photography when I discovered Flickr's Explore 7 Days Interesting page. So in January 2007 I bought my Casio EX-Z700. Though a good compact, this wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do so I got a Canon S3is at the end of May 2007. This amazing camera helped me take my photography to new levels, but it still wasn't enough.
So, thanks to a small legacy, on 29th March 2007 I bought my Canon EOS 40D with the EF-S17-85mm IS USM kit lens and an EF 70-300mm IS USM telephoto lens. These lenses gave me all the range I needed but I added the EF 50mm f/1.8 "Nifty Fifty" to my kit for closer work than I normally do. I also have a Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 for when I want to travel light with a single lens. And I have a Kenko Teleplus MC7 DG 2x extender which works well with the EF lenses and the Tamron, though I lose AF with all of them. A Canon 430EX II flash, a Calumet tripod with 3-way pan-and-tilt head, and a handful of filters round off my kit.
Photography is my main hobby. I run Linux and used to do pretty much all of my post-processing in the Gimp and Picasa, but now I use Lightroom on Windows.
Most of my photos on Flickr are under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license, so you can use them as royalty-free stock as long as a) you credit me; and b) if you publish an image based on my picture, it must be released under the same or a similar license. As owner of the photos, I reserve the right to change this at any time. If I do, I'll give notice here and in the comments for the photos that this decision affects.
Some of the photos, particularly those in the Fine Art set, are All Rights Reserved and may not be used without explicit permission in writing from me, either by letter or by email.
To date, hundreds of websites and blogs have used my photos including such high-profile sites as Mashable, Lifehacker, and Etsy. If you do use one of my photos, it's best to download it from Flickr rather than link to it as I can't guarantee it will stay here (I use Flickr as my online backup rather than purely as a showcase). My photos on Flickr were saved at around 80% quality. If you want 100% quality versions, please e-mail me at
I've recently been uploading photos taken with my mobile phone. These aren't intended to be used as stock photos; they're more for me to play around and have fun with. You can, of course, use them if you like under the same CC license as the rest of my photos. But be aware that the image quality won't be up to the quality of the DSLR photos and I'll most likely have heavily processed them.
The best way to attribute my photos on your website is to put something like "Photo by Garry Knight" below it, or near it, or at least somewhere on the page and, if you can, link it back to the Flickr photo page.
I'm also on Google+ so if you're on there too, please feel free to add me to a Circle.
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 131,918 photos, 10,343 members
- The River Lee and Lee Valley 5,653 photos, 296 members
- Compact System Cameras (micro 4/3, Nex, Nx, M, etc.) 38,531 photos, 702 members
- Samsung NX 30,155 photos, 970 members
- Samsung Digital Community 8,321 photos, 402 members
- Samsung NX series. 16,796 photos, 745 members
- Beach Huts UK 4,538 photos, 766 members
- TREE PICS 281,243 photos, 21,115 members
- Samsung NX2000 Camera 709 photos, 61 members
- Samsung NX2000 1,445 photos, 122 members
- Church Interiors 120,819 photos, 8,752 members
- Churches - Please read the rules before posting 165,732 photos, 13,106 members
- Horse Lovers Group 33,578 photos, 4,413 members
- Isle of Wight (IOW) 12,425 photos, 252 members
- WildWight ~ Isle of Wight Wildlife 3,762 photos, 152 members
- Isle of Wight - Photographers 17,689 photos, 417 members
- Samsung Mobile Photography 14,861 photos, 1,048 members
- Samsung Galaxy Camera 4,427 photos, 371 members
- mobile phones pics 11,709 photos, 825 members
- Chinatowns of the World 3,878 photos, 484 members
- Fine Art Photography™ 85,227 photos, 6,222 members
- Stage photography: 3,437 photos, 208 members
- Street Performers 41,291 photos, 5,261 members
- Landscape photography 838,420 photos, 36,656 members
- Landscape Beauty ! 1,047,178 photos, 42,477 members
- Landscape & Wildlife Photos of the World 607,052 photos, 27,528 members
- Landscapes!!! 599,811 photos, 31,206 members
- FLOWERS 1,234,675 photos, 97,180 members
- Flowers all kinds 364,298 photos, 19,366 members
- Flowers Group 494,626 photos, 30,735 members
- Flower Flower Flower 409,889 photos, 36,632 members
- London Pubs 13,229 photos, 1,253 members
- Covent Garden 2,755 photos, 654 members
- London 876,562 photos, 34,527 members
- Our onOne Images 5,073 photos, 273 members
- on1 Photos 20,171 photos, 1,785 members
- River Thames 36,159 photos, 2,001 members
- Graffiti / Street Art 796,133 photos, 17,580 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 3,596 photos, 589 members
- Hampstead Heath 4,477 photos, 494 members
- London Parks 26,346 photos, 2,519 members
- Together: two or more humans, animals or insects in the same pic 40,384 photos, 1,814 members
- St James's Park 1,251 photos, 234 members
- Regent's Park 1,825 photos, 257 members
- WPP(Woman Portrait Photography) 15,391 photos, 543 members
- Serious Mobile 41,047 photos, 862 members
- Croydon 12,195 photos, 346 members
- Hyde Park 4,382 photos, 671 members
- Brick Lane and Columbia Road 3,953 photos, 331 members
- Brick Lane 7,392 photos, 808 members
garryknight doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Garry Knight
- May 2007
- London, England
- I am:
- Garry Knight on Google+