It has been brought to my attention that a website has misused one of my photos. An image of a teenager wearing bright colours and listening to music on headphones, tagged with words like "music", "colour", "listen", "girl", and "headphones" was used to illustrate an article on drug abuse, the headline of which appeared to be related to the subject of the photo. The lady in question has objected to the use of the photo in this way.
This is not acceptable. Not to her as subject nor to me as photographer.
If you're planning to use one of my photos, please think about what you're doing and exercise some intelligence when it comes to choosing which photo goes with which topic.
I don't want to have to stop publishing Creative Commons photos but if this kind of misuse continues, I will certainly do so.
NOTE: Until recently, most of my photos on Flickr were published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licence. They are now available under the Attribution licence, so all you need to do is put my name somewhere near the photo, wherever you re-publish it. And if you're not publishing it, feel free to use it. But do check first to make sure that it's not an ALL RIGHTS RESERVED photo.
I should start off by saying that Flickr is my third offline backup so everything is on here: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Well, the good and the bad - I don't do self-portraits. :-)
If you only want to see what I consider to be my best photos, look at the Fine Art set, the My Favourites set for photos taken with my DSLR or compacts, and at the Mobile Favourites set for those taken with the various cameraphones I've owned.
Note: The licence on some of my photos has changed from the CC Attribution Share-Alike licence to All Rights Reserved. See below for details.
I got serious about photography when I discovered Flickr's Explore 7 Days Interesting page. So in January 2007 I bought my Casio EX-Z700. Though a good compact, this wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do so I got a Canon S3is at the end of May 2007. This amazing camera helped me take my photography to new levels, but it still wasn't enough.
So, thanks to a small legacy, on 29th March 2007 I bought my Canon EOS 40D with the EF-S17-85mm IS USM kit lens and an EF 70-300mm IS USM telephoto lens. These lenses gave me all the range I needed but I added the EF 50mm f/1.8 "Nifty Fifty" to my kit for closer work than I normally do. I also have a Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 for when I want to travel light with a single lens. And I have a Kenko Teleplus MC7 DG 2x extender which works well with the EF lenses and the Tamron, though I lose AF with all of them. A Canon 430EX II flash, a Calumet tripod with 3-way pan-and-tilt head, and a handful of filters round off my kit. In recent years I've moved to Nikon, then to a Samsung mirrorless camera.
Photography is my main hobby. I used to run Linux and did pretty much all of my post-processing in the Gimp and Picasa, but now I use Lightroom and ON1 Photo 10 on Windows.
Most of my photos on Flickr are under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license, so you can use them as royalty-free stock as long as a) you credit me; and b) if you publish an image based on my picture, it must be released under the same or a similar license. As owner of the photos, I reserve the right to change this at any time. If I do, I'll give notice here and in the comments for the photos that this decision affects.
Some of the photos, particularly those in the Fine Art set, are All Rights Reserved and may not be used without explicit permission in writing from me, either by letter or by email.
To date, my photos have been used on a few thousand web pages and blogs including such high-profile sites as Mashable, Lifehacker, and Etsy. If you do use one of my photos, it's best to download it from Flickr rather than link to it as I can't guarantee it will stay here (I use Flickr as my online backup rather than purely as a showcase). My photos on Flickr were saved at around 80% quality. If you want 100% quality versions, please e-mail me at
I've recently been uploading photos taken with my mobile phone. These aren't intended to be used as stock photos; they're more for me to play around and have fun with. You can, of course, use them if you like under the same CC license as the rest of my photos. But be aware that the image quality won't be up to the quality of the DSLR photos and I'll most likely have heavily processed them.
The best way to attribute my photos on your website is to put something like "Photo by Garry Knight" below it, or near it, or at least somewhere on the page and, if you can, link it back to the Flickr photo page.
I'm also on Google+ so if you're on there too, please feel free to add me to a Circle.
Photos of garryknight (2)
- Your Best Shot 2016 28,513 photos, 41,103 members
- Bushy Park 7,435 photos, 373 members
- Wildlife UK 252,688 photos, 5,005 members
- Wildlife of the British Isles 210,917 photos, 3,957 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 684,879 photos, 32,219 members
- Seaside UK 31,965 photos, 2,039 members
- Seaside Photography 36,276 photos, 1,896 members
- Sony Photographing. 174,073 photos, 3,630 members
- Sony HX60 4,618 photos, 124 members
- Sunset light 58,125 photos, 23,531 members
- Sunsets over the City 97,972 photos, 14,324 members
- Boats 362,873 photos, 27,101 members
- Weymouth & Portland 10,664 photos, 457 members
- Dorset 70,045 photos, 2,697 members
- Your ON1 Images - No Limits 4,344 photos, 88 members
- Beckenham, London 2,265 photos, 209 members
- ON1 Photo RAW 2,011 photos, 66 members
- London Fashion Week 1,830 photos, 129 members
- FlickrCentral With No Posting Limit 558,101 photos, 2,901 members
- Flickr's Biggest Group 444,824 photos, 15,138 members
- Nokia Lumia 930, Icon 1,978 photos, 136 members
- Nokia Lumia 930, 1520 and Icon 9,894 photos, 822 members
- Nokia Lumia 930 1,811 photos, 185 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 613,416 photos, 42,861 members
- Leigh on Sea 3,680 photos, 235 members
- South East England Wildlife 70,282 photos, 1,189 members
- Funny signs 15,288 photos, 2,124 members
- Sign City 244,898 photos, 11,756 members
- Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.... 70,494 photos, 3,500 members
- British Wildlife Centre 14,887 photos, 1,274 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 147,161 photos, 10,796 members
- The River Lee and Lee Valley 6,535 photos, 310 members
- Compact System Cameras (micro 4/3, Nex, Nx, M, etc.) 67,202 photos, 911 members
- Samsung NX 59,862 photos, 1,343 members
- Samsung Digital Community 13,455 photos, 513 members
- Samsung NX series. 44,238 photos, 1,215 members
- Beach Huts UK 4,958 photos, 834 members
- TREE PICS 395,341 photos, 25,602 members
- Samsung NX2000 Camera 2,706 photos, 94 members
- Samsung NX2000 2,727 photos, 192 members
- Church Interiors 159,509 photos, 10,817 members
- Churches - Please read the rules before posting 197,977 photos, 14,451 members
- Horse Lovers Group 50,274 photos, 6,082 members
- Samsung Mobile Photography 30,354 photos, 1,730 members
- Samsung Galaxy Camera 6,823 photos, 564 members
- mobile phones pics 20,329 photos, 1,045 members
- Chinatowns of the World 7,212 photos, 781 members
- Fine Art Photography™ 208,664 photos, 9,165 members
- Stage photography: 8,566 photos, 346 members
- Street Performers 56,600 photos, 5,933 members
garryknight doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Garry Knight
- May 2007
- London, England
- I am:
- Garry Knight on Google+