The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, plays a vital role in preserving and interpreting the material culture of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta.
We are a vibrant gathering place that meets historical, cultural and educational needs.
We engage and educate our communities in the human history of southwestern Alberta by preserving and sharing collections, stories and memories that define our collective identity and guide our future.
We value stewardship, creativity and innovation, integrity and authenticity, teamwork and cooperation, and excellence.
A bif of history:
In 1965, the first civic museum opened its doors in Lethbridge. George McKillop was the museum's first curator. It quickly outgrew its space, and relocated to the former Galt Hospital.
After considerable renovation, the Sir Alexander Galt Museum opened its doors in 1967. The Lethbridge and District Historical Society operated the museum with volunteers until 1971. Through the efforts of many people, the Galt Museum was placed in the Urban Parks program in the early 1980s and expanded once more.
Reopened in 1984, new gallery space and expanded storage space allowed the museum to develop new programs and temporary exhibits, and to care for its collections in a manner that meets accepted standards of museum practice.
In September 2004 the Galt Museum moved its offices and collections off-site to facilitate a second expansion which reopened on May 6, 2006.
Today, The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge is an established cultural leader in southern Alberta, having contributed to the fabric of the region since the 1967. Our consistently high-calibre, award-winning exhibits and learning opportunities have drawn over 50,000 visitors a year.
Extensive collections, professionally administered archives and a variety of ongoing interpretive programs and events ensure that people are compelled to keep coming back to make that important connection between themselves and their regional history.
Though the museum and its collections are owned by the City of Lethbridge, the facility is governed by a City-appointed volunteer Board of Governors. The Galt is respected in Alberta’s museum community, has a growing national profile, and is committed to international museum standards.
The Galt cares for a growing collection of over 20,000 artifacts and 300,000 archival documents and photographs, and we are pleased to participate in flickr The Commons! We have uploaded photos which we believe have no known copyright restrictions, please refer to our rights statement on our website: www.galtmuseum.com/copyright.htm
To see how our stories are unfolding today, visit our alter ego flickr site:
Photos of Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons (6)
- Demo Day 827 photos, 23 members
- Vintage Canada 1,865 photos, 152 members
- I believe in holidays & other calendrical observances P1 C1 15,661 photos, 819 members
- YMCA & YWCA BUILDINGS OF THE WORLD, THEN AND NOW. 116 photos, 11 members
- HAYSTACKS - more than 10000 haystacks from all over the world... 10,906 photos, 1,132 members
- Canadian Badlands Images 955 photos, 51 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,377 photos, 323 members
- Vintage pics 31,450 photos, 568 members
- canada the land the people the history and experience 22,414 photos, 351 members
- artland 895,016 photos, 39,076 members
- Trésors du Canada/Canada's Treasures 406 photos, 54 members
- Museums Views 365 photos, 189 members
- World Portrait 2020 116,212 photos, 4,021 members
- soulful journey 93,817 photos, 1,891 members
- a new world 30,440 photos, 618 members
- History of Canadian Science and Technology 9,288 photos, 430 members
- Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory] 3,350 photos, 367 members
- Geotagged : Vintage photographs (1945 or earlier) 4,814 photos, 162 members
- Historic Lethbridge & area 573 photos, 42 members
- The Astonishing Power of Flickr 1,261 photos, 213 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,506 photos, 308 members
- The History Faculty 89 photos, 10 members
- Flickr Commons 2,504 photos, 2,145 members
- Chicago History Museum 7,295 photos, 256 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,430 photos, 13,097 members
- Canadian History 11,769 photos, 482 members
- canadian architecture 6,891 photos, 234 members
- Traintrack 9,129 photos, 223 members
- Mines & Mining 27,874 photos, 1,946 members
- Alberta History 1,807 photos, 76 members
- Little Museums 9,485 photos, 135 members
- At the museum 120,283 photos, 3,106 members
- museum watchers watching 11,462 photos, 3,496 members
- Lethbridge 3,914 photos, 161 members
Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- February 2008
- Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA
- Story Sharing
- Galt Museum & Archives
- info [at] galtmuseum.com