The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, plays a vital role in preserving and interpreting the material culture of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta.
We are a vibrant gathering place that meets historical, cultural and educational needs.
We engage and educate our communities in the human history of southwestern Alberta by preserving and sharing collections, stories and memories that define our collective identity and guide our future.
We value stewardship, creativity and innovation, integrity and authenticity, teamwork and cooperation, and excellence.
A bif of history:
In 1965, the first civic museum opened its doors in Lethbridge. George McKillop was the museum's first curator. It quickly outgrew its space, and relocated to the former Galt Hospital.
After considerable renovation, the Sir Alexander Galt Museum opened its doors in 1967. The Lethbridge and District Historical Society operated the museum with volunteers until 1971. Through the efforts of many people, the Galt Museum was placed in the Urban Parks program in the early 1980s and expanded once more.
Reopened in 1984, new gallery space and expanded storage space allowed the museum to develop new programs and temporary exhibits, and to care for its collections in a manner that meets accepted standards of museum practice.
In September 2004 the Galt Museum moved its offices and collections off-site to facilitate a second expansion which reopened on May 6, 2006.
Today, The Galt Museum & Archives in Lethbridge is an established cultural leader in southern Alberta, having contributed to the fabric of the region since the 1967. Our consistently high-calibre, award-winning exhibits and learning opportunities have drawn over 50,000 visitors a year.
Extensive collections, professionally administered archives and a variety of ongoing interpretive programs and events ensure that people are compelled to keep coming back to make that important connection between themselves and their regional history.
Though the museum and its collections are owned by the City of Lethbridge, the facility is governed by a City-appointed volunteer Board of Governors. The Galt is respected in Alberta’s museum community, has a growing national profile, and is committed to international museum standards.
The Galt cares for a growing collection of over 20,000 artifacts and 300,000 archival documents and photographs, and we are pleased to participate in flickr The Commons! We have uploaded photos which we believe have no known copyright restrictions, please refer to our rights statement on our website: www.galtmuseum.com/copyright.htm
To see how our stories are unfolding today, visit our alter ego flickr site:
Photos of Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons (6)
- Demo Day 694 photos, 23 members
- Vintage Canada 1,614 photos, 131 members
- I believe in holidays & other calendrical observances P1 C1 15,213 photos, 811 members
- YMCA & YWCA BUILDINGS OF THE WORLD, THEN AND NOW. 113 photos, 10 members
- HAYSTACKS - more than 10000 haystacks from all over the world... 9,973 photos, 1,061 members
- Canadian Badlands Images 827 photos, 45 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 5,868 photos, 300 members
- Vintage pics 23,135 photos, 477 members
- canada the land the people the history and experience 20,498 photos, 335 members
- artland 749,405 photos, 35,362 members
- Trésors du Canada/Canada's Treasures 406 photos, 53 members
- Museums Views 366 photos, 185 members
- World Portrait 2020 99,162 photos, 3,696 members
- soulful journey 88,500 photos, 1,871 members
- a new world 29,339 photos, 616 members
- History of Canadian Science and Technology 8,125 photos, 403 members
- Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory] 3,121 photos, 574 members
- Geotagged : Vintage photographs (1945 or earlier) 4,723 photos, 158 members
- Historic Lethbridge & area 576 photos, 41 members
- The Astonishing Power of Flickr 1,172 photos, 207 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,363 photos, 288 members
- The History Faculty 89 photos, 10 members
- Flickr Commons 2,235 photos, 1,968 members
- Chicago History Museum 7,098 photos, 251 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 14,634 photos, 13,169 members
- Canadian History 9,970 photos, 466 members
- canadian architecture 5,856 photos, 222 members
- Traintrack 7,648 photos, 205 members
- Mines & Mining 25,333 photos, 1,861 members
- Alberta History 1,699 photos, 71 members
- Little Museums 7,956 photos, 132 members
- At the museum 109,346 photos, 3,024 members
- museum watchers watching 10,712 photos, 3,359 members
- Lethbridge 3,680 photos, 157 members
Galt Museum & Archives on The Commons doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- February 2008
- Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA
- Story Sharing
- Galt Museum & Archives
- info [at] galtmuseum.com