I am a designer interested in history of design, architecture, arts and technology.
I am a plastics collector, from the 19th century (maybe earlier) on. I have a small collection of objects I will share with Flickr users.
I live in Rio, Brazil, and would love to hear from anyone with similar interests.
Update August 2008:
I have just got a Master's Degree in Design with a dissertation about (guess) Plastics Design History.
Update December 2008:
I am now a teacher in the Design Department (BAI) at UFRJ (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro)!
Update November 2009:
I have just been accepted in the Doctorate Program in Visual Arts (Image and Culture) at UFRJ!
Please check out this site to learn about and take some action on the dangers of a household plastic named PVC, aka Vinyl:
and this one too:
- Camera-wiki.org 62,476 photos, 1,521 members
- Vintage Plastic Homeware 681 photos, 44 members
- jellies sandals-sandales plastique 31 photos, 68 members
- Nineteenth Century Ambrotypes 847 photos, 94 members
- Abraham Palatnik Sculptures 38 photos, 20 members
- Antique Machinery 3,389 photos, 126 members
- Metal Deco 1,223 photos, 108 members
- CAFOFO RETRÔ 479 photos, 175 members
- Eye for Design 527 photos, 34 members
- About Stock Photo | www.aboutstockphoto.com 4,111 photos, 766 members
- Longer, Lower, Wider- Vintage Dream Cars and Styling Prototypes 1,754 photos, 255 members
- braun 1,366 photos, 333 members
- hfg ulm 321 photos, 119 members
- Perpetual Calendars 163 photos, 45 members
- Moonbase Alpha 269 photos, 93 members
- Memphis Group 93 photos, 30 members
- Verner Panton 305 photos, 60 members
- Life in Plastic 97,416 photos, 2,192 members
- Kapsa 128 photos, 51 members
- Observing the Design 630 photos, 57 members
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN 1920-1950 250 photos, 142 members
- Streamline Moderne Architecture (Quality Images) 3,552 photos, 683 members
- Digital fabrication 4,431 photos, 951 members
- Vintage Tupperware 95 photos, 54 members
- Vintage Tupperware Collectors 373 photos, 173 members
- History Of Radio 354 photos, 63 members
- The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera 8,025 photos, 567 members
- The Modern Accumulator 951 photos, 265 members
- .·:*¨*:·.Nostalgia.·:*¨*:·. 11,338 photos, 268 members
- **Collections for Collectors (CFC) No Limits** 19,692 photos, 382 members
- THE GAMES WE PLAY 2,458 photos, 78 members
- COLLECTOR`S LOT 14,619 photos, 165 members
- Of a Bygone Age. (Retro Stuff) 28,890 photos, 660 members
- Treasured Things & Collectibles 10,097 photos, 490 members
- Herman Miller 1,510 photos, 445 members
- Vintage Radio 5,205 photos, 506 members
- Tabletop & Portable Radios 1,867 photos, 111 members
- Marconi, radio and radioamateurs activity 1,863 photos, 172 members
- Arne Jacobsen 796 photos, 303 members
- Bangle Lovers 1,460 photos, 270 members
- Extraordinarily Ordinary(No animal, people or nature shots) 43,546 photos, 2,259 members
- Vintage Industry 725 photos, 294 members
- "They don't make them like they used to" 14,610 photos, 446 members
- Eero Aarnio 654 photos, 178 members
- Vintage boxes - Boites anciennes -Cojea antiguas 1,199 photos, 265 members
- Vintage Matchbooks and Matchboxes 6,323 photos, 387 members
- Gilbert Rohde - Modern Designs 1,635 photos, 83 members
- Nifty Thrift 52,699 photos, 3,940 members
- Object(s) 20,416 photos, 1,567 members
- FETISH OBJECTS 1,308 photos, 195 members
"Incredible artistic photos of some insanely cool plastics!
"Plastic. I love plastic. I want to be plastic."
"Now, hand over that damn plastic scottydog fork!"
15th August, 2008
"galeesa is my Brazilian blood brother. His product photos showcase a wonderful collection of the greatest hits of industrial design. He has a special thing for Bakelite and plastic, and he always manages to retrieve fascinating examples from the past. He's an asset to the flickr community, and a most pleasant contact and friend."
27th July, 2007
Splendor and Demise says:
"Galessa is one of the people who make Flickr great. To begin with, he's got a great eye for the 'interestingness' of an object. He tends to collect vintage objects and very often knows a great deal about it's provenance, historical uses, etc.
Galessa's photography techniques are frequently flawless - almost to the point of appearing unreal. Considering his very basic equipment, he's got the soul and skill of a commercial photographer but doesn't know it yet.
Finally, Galessa is always available for comment and helpful advice to others. This and all of the above makes him one of the Flickr heros in my book."
28th March, 2007
- gerson lessa
- December 2006
- niteroi, rio de janeiro (just across the bay), brazil
- I am:
- Male and Single
- designer / researcher
- glplastico [at] gmail.com