Hi! Thanks for looking at my pictures!
i owe so much to Flickr... i've become fascinated with photography again, after years of neglect. thanks to photo social networking, i have had some images published, i have organized some cafe shows that arose from a Flickr photo stroll, i have embraced my rekindled obsession, and i've started to dip my toes back into the world of video, which i'd set aside since college. i'm so thankful for the community-building features, savvy staff and smart community members here!
i got into Flickr while working at Salon.com managing The WELL and Salon article comments communities. (it's been refreshing to be free to be at flickr purely as an opinionated customer and community participant. i've taken my shoes off and am having a fabulous time in group visual play here.)
i came over with the fotolog.net emigres in fall of 2004, in an interesting "online refugee" transition. part of my earlier profile from those fotolog days rings true:
" i usually use a fairly small midprice digital camera. i take it with me nearly everywhere. this medium has gotten me seeing things again. i miss B&W darkroom work from high school and college years ago, but not enough to do it anymore.
i`m learning about light and composition and form, all over again. i`m also interested in objects, events, humor... times when the photo is weak but the subject matter grabs me: sometimes a shot is only a snap.
I've written a few posts about Flickr interestingness, interface and Flickr community over at my infrequent blog, which is often about online community dynamics. I've also posted a lot about Flickr within the conferences on The WELL:
www.well.com/ I even presented about Flickr at a conference -- the Net Squared conference in a session for nonprofit mashups.
FlickRiver is a way to see images on black, much better for many of these shots. I love these toys the community builds for one another.
- California Coastal Geology 1,117 photos, 113 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,894 photos, 6,550 members
- The White-Inyo Mountains of California 1,534 photos, 114 members
- OccupySF 1,865 photos, 114 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,085 photos, 3,188 members
- For Garnite! 570 photos, 136 members
- The Nature Conservancy 876,472 photos, 39,814 members
- Sculpture 190,454 photos, 10,004 members
- San Francisco Giants 5,854 photos, 315 members
- HOPS! 841 photos, 108 members
- Berkeleyside 12,519 photos, 364 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,351 members
- How Buildings Learn 29 photos, 7 members
- Wild California 6,110 photos, 190 members
- Social Media Week 2010 159 photos, 12 members
- Salon food Flickr pool 2,084 photos, 105 members
- TechSoup Global 1,774 photos, 238 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 190 photos, 12,811 members
- Colour Chart 3,258 photos, 2,004 members
- Garden of Memory Concert 850 photos, 35 members
- Found Paintings 5,191 photos, 224 members
- Bishop Ca 1,123 photos, 111 members
- Northern California Beer Community 463 photos, 42 members
- Pick 5 for the Environment (from U.S. EPA) 481 photos, 118 members
- Flickr 5.25 1,061 photos, 1,352 members
- Black Cat Club! 608 photos, 111 members
- sfbars 365 photos, 77 members
- SF BEER WEEK 1,560 photos, 47 members
- Belgian Beer 3,923 photos, 559 members
- Beer Advocate 5,814 photos, 141 members
- NOAHsurvey: a Survey of New Orleans Architectural History 21,649 photos, 250 members
- Your Narnia photo contest 106 photos, 61 members
- NOLA Love 578 photos, 42 members
- Shoe Conversations 1,167 photos, 328 members
- KPFA Listeners Group 112 photos, 33 members
- Humid City 5,569 photos, 211 members
- People with Holiday or Vacation Beers / Drinks 942 photos, 85 members
- Beer Festivals 1,750 photos, 144 members
- BlogHer Header Photos 852 photos, 437 members
- Quirkee Quirky Photos & Videos 2,041 photos, 117 members
- Global Political Concensus 360 photos, 179 members
- Pink 2008 20,705 photos, 8,666 members
- Images for the Life on the Line video 80 photos, 17 members
- Homebrewers Anonymous 3,724 photos, 463 members
- Homebrew Beer 2,317 photos, 288 members
- Commingling 60 photos, 34 members
- Wicked Reflections 18,592 photos, 1,086 members
- form, shape, composition 75,254 photos, 1,869 members
- News 21 / The American Dream 1,084 photos, 376 members
- Finding Flow! 4,296 photos, 244 members
"Gail's work doesn't scream at you; it quietly surprises and is the kind of thoughtful photos that, like soft jazz, plays beautifully in the background until some phrase or line perks up your eyes and then you can't stop looking, can't stop wanting that gentle shock that she gives visually. Her awareness is something i admire immensely.
I've happily come to know her photographic landscape generally and enjoy her comments and honest and undemanding friendship quite a lot."
July 22nd, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Quite simply, Gail's photostream is one of the most enjoyable on flickr. Her eye and attention to detail is amongst the keenest I've yet come across here, and I look forward to her clever, "quick-witted" images, and her vision of her world.
I've never gotten the impression that she spends a lot of time commenting on others' photos, but her quiet presence is an enormous influence on me and (no doubt) others."
September 21st, 2005
bruce grant says:
"to have the kind of eye for visual beauty that gail has would be enough for most artists...
but to combine this with the kind of social/anthropological eye for the nuances of social photoblogging (a term i learned from her)...
...and to combine that analytical understanding of social nuance with real concern and care for the people involved...
and to combine those with the kind of catholicity of taste that embraces urban beauty, natural beauty, and baseball...
and to combine all of those with the passion for social justice -- and the conviction that art can further that passion...
this is rare...exceedingly rare
i'm honored that gail has become my friend
you go, girl"
September 18th, 2005
krazydad / jbum says:
"A caretaker. One of the rare few who takes an active role in the care & feeding of online communities."
April 3rd, 2005
"It has become a daily joy to vicariously see through your eyes and lens !
Such talent should not go uncommented !
Thank you for your sharing !"
March 2nd, 2005
"Actually I don't like to comment on a single photo. It is the whole of your stream that facinates me. I am very sensitive to colours and forms, eventually emotions.
I have been working with pictures for most of my life as a professional, so get bored easily. I envy those who are able to create a new reality using forms and colours.
My other half is the storyteller. Some pictures have a story, you are telling me those stories too. I hope you also let me free in finding out what story the picture itself delivers to me. Watching pictures can be an adventure a journey in to what you present in forms and colours.
Your photostream is facinating, I'll be watching your archive from now on with a different attitude.
November 30th, 2004
- Gail Williams
- October 2004
- northern california
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- community tending