Hi! Thanks for looking at my pictures!
i owe so much to Flickr... i've become fascinated with photography again, after years of neglect. thanks to photo social networking, i have had some images published, i have organized some cafe shows that arose from a Flickr photo stroll, i have embraced my rekindled obsession, and i've started to dip my toes back into the world of video, which i'd set aside since college. i'm so thankful for the community-building features, savvy staff and smart community members here!
i got into Flickr while working at Salon.com managing The WELL and Salon article comments communities. (it's been refreshing to be free to be at flickr purely as an opinionated customer and community participant. i've taken my shoes off and am having a fabulous time in group visual play here.)
i came over with the fotolog.net emigres in fall of 2004, in an interesting "online refugee" transition. part of my earlier profile from those fotolog days rings true:
" i usually use a fairly small midprice digital camera. i take it with me nearly everywhere. this medium has gotten me seeing things again. i miss B&W darkroom work from high school and college years ago, but not enough to do it anymore.
i`m learning about light and composition and form, all over again. i`m also interested in objects, events, humor... times when the photo is weak but the subject matter grabs me: sometimes a shot is only a snap.
I've written a few posts about Flickr interestingness, interface and Flickr community over at my infrequent blog, which is often about online community dynamics. I've also posted a lot about Flickr within the conferences on The WELL:
www.well.com/ I even presented about Flickr at a conference -- the Net Squared conference in a session for nonprofit mashups.
FlickRiver is a way to see images on black, much better for many of these shots. I love these toys the community builds for one another.
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,081 photos, 6,941 members
- The White-Inyo Mountains of California 961 photos, 102 members
- OccupySF 1,866 photos, 115 members
- Flickr 11|11|11 2,148 photos, 3,296 members
- For Garnite! 535 photos, 138 members
- The Nature Conservancy 623,492 photos, 35,377 members
- Sculpture 154,506 photos, 8,785 members
- San Francisco Giants 4,942 photos, 259 members
- HOPS! 763 photos, 98 members
- Berkeleyside 9,666 photos, 318 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,428 members
- How Buildings Learn 27 photos, 7 members
- Wild California 6,156 photos, 182 members
- Social Media Week 2010 159 photos, 12 members
- Salon food Flickr pool 1,922 photos, 105 members
- TechSoup Global 1,664 photos, 218 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 195 photos, 12,720 members
- Colour Chart 3,307 photos, 2,032 members
- Garden of Memory Concert 751 photos, 32 members
- Found Paintings 4,887 photos, 203 members
- Bishop Ca 1,015 photos, 90 members
- Northern California Beer Community 454 photos, 37 members
- Pick 5 for the Environment (from U.S. EPA) 500 photos, 120 members
- Flickr 5.25 1,072 photos, 1,372 members
- Black Cat Club! 564 photos, 109 members
- sfbars 277 photos, 69 members
- SF BEER WEEK 1,560 photos, 48 members
- Belgian Beer 3,452 photos, 535 members
- Beer Advocate 5,587 photos, 127 members
- NOAHsurvey: a Survey of New Orleans Architectural History 21,289 photos, 233 members
- Your Narnia photo contest 106 photos, 61 members
- NOLA Love 361 photos, 39 members
- Shoe Conversations 1,239 photos, 326 members
- KPFA Listeners Group 112 photos, 31 members
- Humid City 5,300 photos, 209 members
- People with Holiday or Vacation Beers / Drinks 910 photos, 84 members
- Beer Festivals 1,484 photos, 130 members
- BlogHer Header Photos 862 photos, 445 members
- Quirkee Quirky Photos & Videos 1,725 photos, 117 members
- Global Political Concensus 336 photos, 176 members
- Pink 2008 21,053 photos, 8,801 members
- Images for the Life on the Line video 79 photos, 18 members
- Homebrewers Anonymous 3,477 photos, 435 members
- Homebrew Beer 2,106 photos, 247 members
- Commingling 62 photos, 34 members
- Wicked Reflections 16,748 photos, 1,045 members
- form, shape, composition 52,320 photos, 1,458 members
- News 21 / The American Dream 1,088 photos, 380 members
- Finding Flow! 3,919 photos, 241 members
- 161 photos, 38 members
"Gail's work doesn't scream at you; it quietly surprises and is the kind of thoughtful photos that, like soft jazz, plays beautifully in the background until some phrase or line perks up your eyes and then you can't stop looking, can't stop wanting that gentle shock that she gives visually. Her awareness is something i admire immensely.
I've happily come to know her photographic landscape generally and enjoy her comments and honest and undemanding friendship quite a lot."
22nd July, 2006
O Caritas says:
"Quite simply, Gail's photostream is one of the most enjoyable on flickr. Her eye and attention to detail is amongst the keenest I've yet come across here, and I look forward to her clever, "quick-witted" images, and her vision of her world.
I've never gotten the impression that she spends a lot of time commenting on others' photos, but her quiet presence is an enormous influence on me and (no doubt) others."
21st September, 2005
bruce grant says:
"to have the kind of eye for visual beauty that gail has would be enough for most artists...
but to combine this with the kind of social/anthropological eye for the nuances of social photoblogging (a term i learned from her)...
...and to combine that analytical understanding of social nuance with real concern and care for the people involved...
and to combine those with the kind of catholicity of taste that embraces urban beauty, natural beauty, and baseball...
and to combine all of those with the passion for social justice -- and the conviction that art can further that passion...
this is rare...exceedingly rare
i'm honored that gail has become my friend
you go, girl"
18th September, 2005
krazydad / jbum says:
"A caretaker. One of the rare few who takes an active role in the care & feeding of online communities."
3rd April, 2005
"It has become a daily joy to vicariously see through your eyes and lens !
Such talent should not go uncommented !
Thank you for your sharing !"
2nd March, 2005
"Actually I don't like to comment on a single photo. It is the whole of your stream that facinates me. I am very sensitive to colours and forms, eventually emotions.
I have been working with pictures for most of my life as a professional, so get bored easily. I envy those who are able to create a new reality using forms and colours.
My other half is the storyteller. Some pictures have a story, you are telling me those stories too. I hope you also let me free in finding out what story the picture itself delivers to me. Watching pictures can be an adventure a journey in to what you present in forms and colours.
Your photostream is facinating, I'll be watching your archive from now on with a different attitude.
30th November, 2004
- Gail Williams
- October 2004
- northern california
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- community tending