Some answers to frequently asked questions...
How do you build your Wee Planets?
Please read the description of my Wee Planets set. It has many links and explanations.
What kind of equipement do you use?
Most of my pictures were taken with a Pentax K10D, or (since October 2009) with a Pentax K-7.
For panoramic shots I use a Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom. I also use a
Manfrotto panoramic head (303SPH), but with the fisheye lens it's
often easy enough to shoot handheld.
What software do you use?
I use only free software. I've been an exclusive GNU/Linux user for about 15 years now. I use tools like The Gimp, enblend, hugin, and mathmap.
What are the licenses of your pictures?
Many of my pictures are licensed under one of the following two
Creative Commons License in order to ease sharing.
1. Attribution Share-alike
2. Attribution Share-alike Non-Commercial usage
Beware that not ALL pictures are under a Creative Commons. You should be able to tell which license is used by searching for these symbols in the "additional info" block at the bottom of each picture's page.
The Creative Commons license allows you to display, print, and generally reuse my work as long as you play by the rules of the license. The abridged rules are :
1. that any use should be duly credited, and the license of the picture should always be indicated
2. any derivative work should be distributed under the same license
3. for some pictures (), you may not use them for any commercial purpose
Derivative work is when you build upon my work to create another work. For instance if you use my pictures as textures in a composite, it's a derivative. Silhouetting a picture to create a sticker, also creates derivate work. You may only distribute your derivation under the same license.
Simply reproducing the picture (for instance on the web or in print) does not constitute a derivative work. In other words a blog or a journal that publishes one of my pictures does not need to be distributed under the same license... However they have to credit me and state that the picture is under a Creative Commons license.
Someone who alters the picture to turn in into an advertisement is obviously both making a derivative work and having a commercial usage of the picture.
For credits, I prefer my full name to be used (it's Alexandre Duret-Lutz) along with a mention of the license. For websites, it's OK if you replace this credit with an obvious link to the picture's page on flickr.
Please take the time to actually read the text of the licenses before using my pictures, these explanations are by no way a substitute.
Where can I contact you?
Mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I use your pictures on my web site?
I receive too many such questions my mail. Please read the previous text and get yourself familiar with the Creative Commons licenses. If your intended use is compatible with the license you do not need my permission to exercize a right that I've already granted you. If it's not compatible, you should tell me how before I can give (or sell) you my permission.
Can I print your picture for private use?
For any of my picture that is under a Creative Commons license, you can download the full size picture and have it printed for your personal use, without bothering about the obligation to credit and display the license of the picture. (Any distribution of the resulting print should however respect these obligations, because it's not longer private use.)
If you hang the picture in your house, I would really appreciate if you could send me a picture of the installation (or better: post that picture as a flickr comment to the picture you printed).
Some of my pictures are on sell on ImageKind. If you buy here, I'll earn a small commission. However you should feel free to have the picture printed elsewhere if you want.
Can I sell postcards, or mugs showing your pictures?
If the license allows commercial uses, and if you respect the rules of the license, the short answer is yes. For postcards, it's easy to credit the author and display the license on the back. For mug, you might decide (that's a hypothesis) to modifiy the picture to overlay it with credit and license, in that case you have built a derived picture that you should make available using the same license as the original picture. The idea is that anybody should be able to print the same mug without buying yours.
Regardless of these licensing issues, the reason I distribute some pictures using a license that allow commercial uses (like printing in a journal) is not so that other people make money on my back by selling derived products on a day-to-day basis. If you want to start such a commerce, I'd appreciate if you could be fair and contact me to buy reproduction rights.
- Maza & Gadl à Lisbonne - 2012/2013 137 photos, 2 members
- La "petite ceinture" 1,392 photos, 228 members
- Camping Jura - Août 2011 97 photos, 2 members
- Newcastle Upon Tyne group 8,686 photos, 1,191 members
- Our Worlds - Palmela 2011 Panoramic Photography exhibition 203 photos, 65 members
- Edinburgh 137,260 photos, 5,670 members
- Pictures of Gard - Images du Gard - France 56,262 photos, 767 members
- Triptychs 15,756 photos, 4,389 members
- Rajasthan, the COLOUR state 17,096 photos, 960 members
- Panoramic Portraits 380 photos, 55 members
- G'MIC 8,921 photos, 910 members
- Macau 18,663 photos, 1,056 members
- Tower Bridge 5,541 photos, 1,365 members
- Roma - Rome 101,060 photos, 9,623 members
- Big Ben 5,013 photos, 1,799 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,905 photos, 904 members
- The London Eye 13,887 photos, 3,694 members
- Stop Motion And Time-Lapse 2,522 photos, 953 members
- HD Videos on Flickr 3,664 photos, 1,077 members
- Long Photo (Panorama Videos) 118 photos, 53 members
- HDR Equirectangular 544 photos, 93 members
- MBC Paris 2009 204 photos, 9 members
- Vincennes Château - Castle 712 photos, 97 members
- Games, Board and Otherwise 13,342 photos, 1,838 members
- Chocolate Beans 81 photos, 56 members
- 94 Val de Marne 3,203 photos, 102 members
- Auvers-sur-Oise 552 photos, 44 members
- Airports: SXM / TNCM 3,875 photos, 382 members
- Mr. CHAT 1,502 photos, 326 members
- MBC Toulouse - Septembre 2008 42 photos, 5 members
- Hérault ... orama 13,818 photos, 466 members
- Bordeaux et C.U.B. 10,264 photos, 1,235 members
- MBC Strasbourg 2007 225 photos, 9 members
- BC NSS...Bookcrossing parcels....RABCK gifts 298 photos, 70 members
- Cubes 531 photos, 140 members
- Extremely Large Panoramas 10,000x minimum 2,952 photos, 801 members
- Foldables 1,751 photos, 69 members
- Bratislava 13,205 photos, 1,380 members
- St-Étienne-du-Mont 147 photos, 25 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 35,486 photos, 476 members
- Polar weirdness 1,524 photos, 171 members
- 9::16 Tallscreen 302 photos, 33 members
- Pentax DA Fisheye 10-17mm 5,302 photos, 374 members
- Amelie Poulain 2,210 photos, 558 members
- Paris B&W (rules apply) 78,193 photos, 10,928 members
- Strobist.com 608,516 photos, 123,952 members
- Shakespeare and Company 846 photos, 308 members
- Stereographic Projections 10,811 photos, 1,338 members
- Paris 360° Panoramas 655 photos, 105 members
- I.S.C.A.G.V.I - Aesthetics Symposium 29 photos, 9 members
"Always on the lookout for a new and creative way to entertain us all, Alexandre has one of those few photostreams that makes people click on every new photo, in case there is something more interesting and fun than what the thumbnail shows -and there always is!"
November 2nd, 2006
"Alexandre's photos are consistently creative. The often keep me looking a little longer than the average photo, and often require a second or third visit.
He certainly has a wonderful style with a mathematical / geeky tilt (in a good way). And having his photo's in my contacts' stream has paid off again and again."
October 31st, 2006
- Alexandre Duret-Lutz
- December 2005
- Paris, France
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Computer Science
- home page