Some answers to frequently asked questions...
How do you build your Wee Planets?
Please read the description of my Wee Planets set. It has many links and explanations.
What kind of equipement do you use?
Most of my pictures were taken with a Pentax K10D, or (since October 2009) with a Pentax K-7.
For panoramic shots I use a Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom. I also use a
Manfrotto panoramic head (303SPH), but with the fisheye lens it's
often easy enough to shoot handheld.
What software do you use?
I use only free software. I've been an exclusive GNU/Linux user for about 15 years now. I use tools like The Gimp, enblend, hugin, and mathmap.
What are the licenses of your pictures?
Many of my pictures are licensed under one of the following two
Creative Commons License in order to ease sharing.
1. Attribution Share-alike
2. Attribution Share-alike Non-Commercial usage
Beware that not ALL pictures are under a Creative Commons. You should be able to tell which license is used by searching for these symbols in the "additional info" block at the bottom of each picture's page.
The Creative Commons license allows you to display, print, and generally reuse my work as long as you play by the rules of the license. The abridged rules are :
1. that any use should be duly credited, and the license of the picture should always be indicated
2. any derivative work should be distributed under the same license
3. for some pictures (), you may not use them for any commercial purpose
Derivative work is when you build upon my work to create another work. For instance if you use my pictures as textures in a composite, it's a derivative. Silhouetting a picture to create a sticker, also creates derivate work. You may only distribute your derivation under the same license.
Simply reproducing the picture (for instance on the web or in print) does not constitute a derivative work. In other words a blog or a journal that publishes one of my pictures does not need to be distributed under the same license... However they have to credit me and state that the picture is under a Creative Commons license.
Someone who alters the picture to turn in into an advertisement is obviously both making a derivative work and having a commercial usage of the picture.
For credits, I prefer my full name to be used (it's Alexandre Duret-Lutz) along with a mention of the license. For websites, it's OK if you replace this credit with an obvious link to the picture's page on flickr.
Please take the time to actually read the text of the licenses before using my pictures, these explanations are by no way a substitute.
Where can I contact you?
Mail me at email@example.com.
Can I use your pictures on my web site?
I receive too many such questions my mail. Please read the previous text and get yourself familiar with the Creative Commons licenses. If your intended use is compatible with the license you do not need my permission to exercize a right that I've already granted you. If it's not compatible, you should tell me how before I can give (or sell) you my permission.
Can I print your picture for private use?
For any of my picture that is under a Creative Commons license, you can download the full size picture and have it printed for your personal use, without bothering about the obligation to credit and display the license of the picture. (Any distribution of the resulting print should however respect these obligations, because it's not longer private use.)
If you hang the picture in your house, I would really appreciate if you could send me a picture of the installation (or better: post that picture as a flickr comment to the picture you printed).
Some of my pictures are on sell on ImageKind. If you buy here, I'll earn a small commission. However you should feel free to have the picture printed elsewhere if you want.
Can I sell postcards, or mugs showing your pictures?
If the license allows commercial uses, and if you respect the rules of the license, the short answer is yes. For postcards, it's easy to credit the author and display the license on the back. For mug, you might decide (that's a hypothesis) to modifiy the picture to overlay it with credit and license, in that case you have built a derived picture that you should make available using the same license as the original picture. The idea is that anybody should be able to print the same mug without buying yours.
Regardless of these licensing issues, the reason I distribute some pictures using a license that allow commercial uses (like printing in a journal) is not so that other people make money on my back by selling derived products on a day-to-day basis. If you want to start such a commerce, I'd appreciate if you could be fair and contact me to buy reproduction rights.
- Maza & Gadl à Lisbonne - 2012/2013 137 photos, 2 members
- La "petite ceinture" 1,250 photos, 204 members
- Camping Jura - Août 2011 97 photos, 2 members
- Newcastle Upon Tyne group 7,695 photos, 1,016 members
- Our Worlds - Palmela 2011 Panoramic Photography exhibition 173 photos, 54 members
- Edinburgh 113,437 photos, 5,035 members
- Pictures of Gard - Images du Gard - France 31,651 photos, 507 members
- Triptychs 14,737 photos, 4,331 members
- Rajasthan, the COLOUR state 13,479 photos, 827 members
- Panoramic Portraits 287 photos, 40 members
- G'MIC 5,141 photos, 756 members
- Macau 16,505 photos, 960 members
- Tower Bridge 4,867 photos, 1,214 members
- Roma - Rome 90,621 photos, 8,895 members
- Big Ben 4,429 photos, 1,661 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,478 photos, 754 members
- The London Eye 13,279 photos, 3,664 members
- Stop Motion And Time-Lapse 2,112 photos, 862 members
- HD Videos on Flickr 2,763 photos, 995 members
- Long Photo (Panorama Videos) 118 photos, 44 members
- HDR Equirectangular 453 photos, 64 members
- MBC Paris 2009 204 photos, 9 members
- Vincennes Château - Castle 718 photos, 100 members
- Games, Board and Otherwise 6,641 photos, 1,555 members
- Chocolate Beans 81 photos, 56 members
- 94 Val de Marne 2,064 photos, 83 members
- Auvers-sur-Oise 554 photos, 42 members
- Airports: SXM / TNCM 2,404 photos, 309 members
- Mr. CHAT 1,213 photos, 294 members
- Camping in France 2,919 photos, 294 members
- MBC Toulouse - Septembre 2008 42 photos, 5 members
- Hérault ... orama 10,532 photos, 359 members
- Bordeaux et C.U.B. 10,689 photos, 1,217 members
- MBC Strasbourg 2007 225 photos, 9 members
- BC NSS...Bookcrossing parcels....RABCK gifts 279 photos, 70 members
- Cubes 489 photos, 137 members
- Extremely Large Panoramas 10,000x minimum 1,602 photos, 646 members
- Foldables 703 photos, 67 members
- Bratislava 11,086 photos, 1,188 members
- St-Étienne-du-Mont 138 photos, 23 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 23,843 photos, 403 members
- Polar weirdness 993 photos, 162 members
- 9::16 Tallscreen 308 photos, 34 members
- Pentax DA Fisheye 10-17mm 4,475 photos, 322 members
- Amelie Poulain 2,239 photos, 560 members
- Paris B&W (rules apply) 66,046 photos, 10,190 members
- Strobist.com 598,605 photos, 120,537 members
- Shakespeare and Company 824 photos, 275 members
- Stereographic Projections 9,784 photos, 1,233 members
- Paris 360° Panoramas 663 photos, 82 members
"Always on the lookout for a new and creative way to entertain us all, Alexandre has one of those few photostreams that makes people click on every new photo, in case there is something more interesting and fun than what the thumbnail shows -and there always is!"
November 2nd, 2006
"Alexandre's photos are consistently creative. The often keep me looking a little longer than the average photo, and often require a second or third visit.
He certainly has a wonderful style with a mathematical / geeky tilt (in a good way). And having his photo's in my contacts' stream has paid off again and again."
October 31st, 2006
- Alexandre Duret-Lutz
- December 2005
- Paris, France
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Computer Science
- home page