Visit my photoblog at fmward.wordpress.com
I am a professor in the Holyoke Community College Art Department, Holyoke, MA, USA. My courses often utilize service learning and community work. Some of my classes attempt to integrate contemplative practice with the art of photography. Balancing the classroom, the community, the camera and the contemplative mind is a life-long challenge.
I have a Masters of Fine Arts degree from Bard College and have received a National Endowment for the Arts/ New England Foundation for the Arts grant for work with the Puerto Rican community in Holyoke, Massachusetts. The Polaroid Foundation and ViewCamera Magazine have awarded my work in Tibet and the Rotary Foundation has funded my photography in India.
I have made four trips to the former Yugoslavia with The Friends of Bosnia and the Center for Balkan Development. This work has been exhibited throughout the United States and Europe.
In 2006, Amherst College Press published "Curious Footprints", a book of my natural history photographs with an essay by Nancy Pick and an afterword by Ben Lifson. The book is available through Amazon.
When I am not teaching or working on long term projects, I am available for freelance work.
Prints are available for exhibition, publication or sale.
- Lyric Documentary 12,759 photos, 841 members
- PLATEFORM magazine 186,503 photos, 4,413 members
- Knocking On The Door Of Your Panic System 1,040 photos, 238 members
- Hommage à Doisneau 43,517 photos, 2,145 members
- traveling in Asia ( Only people in the image !) ) 139,192 photos, 4,381 members
- Travel Photojournalism 112,373 photos, 13,916 members
- Semana da Fotografia São Paulo / Photo Week São Paulo 1,819 photos, 1,539 members
- Moscow Metro 3,475 photos, 989 members
- Street & Reportage 260,116 photos, 5,688 members
- Conscious Kaleidoscopes 246 photos, 83 members
- Street Portrait Classics.... The Book 84 photos, 145 members
- slave to the details street photography 411 photos, 275 members
- COFFEE AND CIGARETTES 37,824 photos, 7,737 members
- Silver Grain People in Monochrome Places 592 photos, 190 members
- baikal 2,390 photos, 260 members
- Fotografi di Strada 285 photos, 3,337 members
- IXTLAN 3,149 photos, 290 members
- Silentium 58,042 photos, 2,029 members
- Genius Farm 9,738 photos, 2,158 members
- Ordinary Life 22,543 photos, 510 members
- Rural Darkness 13,250 photos, 1,072 members
- EarthShots.org Entries 21,514 photos, 932 members
- the archival moon 2,063 photos, 589 members
- Robert Frank's The Americans 747 photos, 569 members
- Dedicated to Diane Arbus 14,400 photos, 1,016 members
- Decisive Moment 2,392 photos, 38,334 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 261,454 photos, 57,708 members
- Cinema and Photography 152,194 photos, 6,952 members
- Snapshots Diary 2,285 photos, 64 members
- fotogezgin-travel photographer 31,182 photos, 2,481 members
- Homemade Pinhole 32,032 photos, 2,834 members
- Camera Makers 9,514 photos, 1,886 members
- kafka-esque 13,139 photos, 1,463 members
- Buddha Images 23,996 photos, 6,167 members
- Free China - Free Tibet 5,319 photos, 1,499 members
- Apotropaico 2,500 photos, 523 members
- "THE EXTRAORDINARY PHOTOGRAPH" 17,760 photos, 2,787 members
- GAIA Kreativity 710 photos, 19 members
- "MASIVIDAD EXCLUSIVA"-"Exclusive Mass" 846 photos, 461 members
- Requiem for a Dream 26,299 photos, 1,255 members
- Portrait★Faces 114,462 photos, 53,009 members
- GAIA -> Our World's People - Sense of humanity - AGAINST WAR! 1,913 photos, 795 members
- Russia 179,805 photos, 5,775 members
- IROИ CUЯTAIN 5,427 photos, 580 members
- Nostalgie Blanc & Noir 12,899 photos, 1,330 members
- streetpics 88,363 photos, 1,513 members
- Alone for No One 1,326 photos, 236 members
- Lee Friedlander (inspired by) 8,394 photos, 780 members
- William Eggleston 90,145 photos, 3,122 members
- Stephen Shore 19,814 photos, 853 members
"Truly inspiring work. Going through the photo stream was like I was traveling myself. One of the best travel photographers on flickr."
July 12th, 2008
astonishing trucks says:
"Frank is a great photographer with a great knowledge of light, his work testifies it and just looking his photos we can perceive his talent with the landscapes, portraits or whatever... congratulations!! (and sorry for my horrible english)"
November 6th, 2007
"I must say that i am led to follow the pages of your photos, they are like an old gift left here for no one and yet open for all. I was hoping for some insight in your profile and also expecting the usual photo groupings and sets of flickr exposures. To me your photos have such an etheral presence. They just seem to appear and i am drawn into the gazes and images waiting for me."
July 28th, 2007
- Frank Ward
- March 2007
- Ashfield/Williamsburg, MA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- College Professor