I'm a Chilean photographer currently working on street photography and portraits, documenting Chilean society as it goes along globalisation. I'm also a university lecturer.
Update November 2012: It’s being a while since the last time I updated this profile. I think the reason is that I write every time I change my camera. Now I’ve got a Lumix G5. I’ve been consistent with the brand because it makes really easy street photography. I can carry the camera anywhere without causing problems to people. The shutter now can be electronic, meaning no sound at all if I want. It has a lot less noise and many features more. I’m still interested in the project “The Face of Chile” which consists in street portraits to people in this country. For now, I don’t have plans for exhibitions or books, just improving my images and showing you people in real like situations.
Update April 2011: I'm back in Chile. My first image is "CL Society 01: Adult runners", taken during the 2011 Santiago Marathon (my brother runs, but I prefer to take photographs). I'm very happy to contribute for the first time with my work to Chilean Flickr groups of all sorts. A new beginning for me and long waited one.
Update August 2010: I bought a new camera, the Panasonic Lumix G2. The main advantage for me is street photography. With the rotated display and touch screen features, I can simply walk and take photographs very fast. The focusing and the exposure are controlled with one touch of my finger. Hardly anyone notice I’m taking a photograph, because people don’t see me pressing the shutter. I think people assume that using the screen is for viewing photographs. Also, another year has passed and my knowledge of photography has increased. I’m an amateur, without a doubt, but I’m really trying to understand what makes a good photograph. I read very often about history of photography and about the masters. I really hope to create art through my pictures, but I’m just beginning the journey.
Update May 2009: Although I feel that live in the credit crunch era in the UK is both interesting and sad for job losses, I managed to buy a brand new camera: Panasonic G1, the first non-SRL ever. I could have had another brand for a similar price (I wanted a Nikon actually), but I was impressed by professional reviews and I took some risk. I am very happy with the G1 and I wouldn’t change it at all. My first Flickr photograph with it is UK Society 23. With that image I also enter into portraits because I feel more confident and my knowledge of Photoshop have increased. It’s a learning curve, as usual.
I am a Chilean social anthropologist very interested in photography since childhood. I remember my father bringing home a book to learn how to make photographs, which I read from cover to cover several times. Then, he bought a Russian SRL camera (Zenith), which we used for many years. With my younger brother we bought later a Nikon F601. He’s got now a Nikon D40 and I have got a point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70), which reflects of course my economical situation in the UK. I have read many photography books. I always borrow from university libraries photography books (they are so big and so expensive to buy). This does not mean that I have learnt something, but reflects a passionate interest in photography since always. Although I was born in the age of analogue photography, I happily switched to digital photography. I use Photoshop extensively, partly because of the limitations of my present camera but also because of its endless possibilities. I hope that by joining Flickr, I could be part of an international community of photography fans.
- The Veil as Art 537 photos, 193 members
- ¡ Lima es lo Máximo ! / Lima Rocks ! 6,103 photos, 300 members
- Lima NO es gris 6,897 photos, 523 members
- Opera Singers 1,446 photos, 74 members
- FEMALE SINGERS (Naislaulajia) 2,043 photos, 136 members
- MUSICIAN (SINGER) & INSTRUMENT 4,462 photos, 506 members
- SINGERS SING! (4 pics at any one time) 24,509 photos, 1,704 members
- The best of world picture 1,379,453 photos, 31,974 members
- Poema por imagens Poème d'images Poem by images Poema de imág 139,198 photos, 3,143 members
- Seeing people, I see stories to tell 54,315 photos, 1,573 members
- ~Región De Los Ríos~ 4,693 photos, 394 members
- Valdivia 5,683 photos, 593 members
- Valdivia Flickrs 1,855 photos, 133 members
- ***All beautiful shots and many more. 11,902 photos, 14,770 members
- Paro Estudiantil / Students Strike. Chile. 1,133 photos, 171 members
- ***Flickr Global 3,132,183 photos, 44,747 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 161,686 photos, 5,945 members
- Mezzi pubblici (1601) 1,754 photos, 134 members
- 2 - Two, Zwei, Deux, Due, Dva - Public Group 8,544 photos, 443 members
- Ахуенна! ❥ 12,207 photos, 814 members
- Group for all users of FLICKR - No 30/60 Groups Limit 1,392,556 photos, 14,063 members
- Street Girls 3,691 photos, 325 members
- Sports Photographers 345,540 photos, 12,980 members
- Sports Photography 453,937 photos, 29,661 members
- Sports Illustrated 248,194 photos, 7,331 members
- SPORT PHOTO 220,647 photos, 4,361 members
- Runner Photos 5,015 photos, 551 members
- running 42,018 photos, 5,093 members
- Automotive Product Specialists 245 photos, 20 members
- Photo Geek #1 31,952 photos, 818 members
- `Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 158,566 photos, 3,835 members
- The simplicity and beauty 23,118 photos, 285 members
- Colombia Hermosa 17,305 photos, 757 members
- Cartagena (Colombia) 2,598 photos, 239 members
- Cartagena de Indias - Colombia 6,470 photos, 591 members
- *** Zeitgeist of Today *** 32,366 photos, 1,240 members
- digital is the devil 561,822 photos, 8,656 members
- Gr8! Photos ۩ Post and Vote for various Contests ۩ 224,822 photos, 6,318 members
- Candid Corporation HQ 24,731 photos, 4,535 members
- the world's photography 486,553 photos, 7,131 members
- Goddesses + Nymphs + Sirens + Muses 10,368 photos, 2,399 members
- Student Life 4,624 photos, 620 members
- Sorria / Smile 11,559 photos, 3,037 members
- Birds Portraits 39,765 photos, 2,863 members
- Street Themes #19 - Eating in motion 5,504 photos, 358 members
- Flickr Social 430,446 photos, 9,974 members
- Cologne Camera 49,545 photos, 707 members
- Beautiful pics from our friends 47,691 photos, 1,323 members
- We love beach! 31,799 photos, 2,274 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 24,378 photos, 965 members
"Francisco es chileno pero no deja de sorprenderme lo "gringas" que son sus fotos: la selección de colores y sus combinaciones y la tendencia a entregar información objetiva, con numerosos encuadres a todo el campo visual, con pocos encuadres selectivos e intencionados, me causan esa sensación.
Imagino que en ello hay algo de la influencia de vivir, como él, en un contexto cultural distinto que, por novedoso, concentra la atención.
Si es así, pienso que finalmente será una experiencia enriquecedora que, de vuelta en su hogar, le hará ver lo nuestro ahora como nuevo y, eventualmente, valorarlo en distinta forma.
En todo caso, mientras este año transcurre, será agradable ver como su fotografía va siendo testigo de sus experiencias en esas tierras . . . y que sean las mejores."
December 10th, 2009
- Francisco Osorio
- September 2008
- Santiago, Chile
- Santiago, Chile
- I am:
- Social anthropologist
- Francisco Photography