I'm a Chilean photographer currently working on street photography and portraits, documenting Chilean society as it goes along globalisation. I'm also a university lecturer.
Update November 2012: It’s being a while since the last time I updated this profile. I think the reason is that I write every time I change my camera. Now I’ve got a Lumix G5. I’ve been consistent with the brand because it makes really easy street photography. I can carry the camera anywhere without causing problems to people. The shutter now can be electronic, meaning no sound at all if I want. It has a lot less noise and many features more. I’m still interested in the project “The Face of Chile” which consists in street portraits to people in this country. For now, I don’t have plans for exhibitions or books, just improving my images and showing you people in real like situations.
Update April 2011: I'm back in Chile. My first image is "CL Society 01: Adult runners", taken during the 2011 Santiago Marathon (my brother runs, but I prefer to take photographs). I'm very happy to contribute for the first time with my work to Chilean Flickr groups of all sorts. A new beginning for me and long waited one.
Update August 2010: I bought a new camera, the Panasonic Lumix G2. The main advantage for me is street photography. With the rotated display and touch screen features, I can simply walk and take photographs very fast. The focusing and the exposure are controlled with one touch of my finger. Hardly anyone notice I’m taking a photograph, because people don’t see me pressing the shutter. I think people assume that using the screen is for viewing photographs. Also, another year has passed and my knowledge of photography has increased. I’m an amateur, without a doubt, but I’m really trying to understand what makes a good photograph. I read very often about history of photography and about the masters. I really hope to create art through my pictures, but I’m just beginning the journey.
Update May 2009: Although I feel that live in the credit crunch era in the UK is both interesting and sad for job losses, I managed to buy a brand new camera: Panasonic G1, the first non-SRL ever. I could have had another brand for a similar price (I wanted a Nikon actually), but I was impressed by professional reviews and I took some risk. I am very happy with the G1 and I wouldn’t change it at all. My first Flickr photograph with it is UK Society 23. With that image I also enter into portraits because I feel more confident and my knowledge of Photoshop have increased. It’s a learning curve, as usual.
I am a Chilean social anthropologist very interested in photography since childhood. I remember my father bringing home a book to learn how to make photographs, which I read from cover to cover several times. Then, he bought a Russian SRL camera (Zenith), which we used for many years. With my younger brother we bought later a Nikon F601. He’s got now a Nikon D40 and I have got a point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70), which reflects of course my economical situation in the UK. I have read many photography books. I always borrow from university libraries photography books (they are so big and so expensive to buy). This does not mean that I have learnt something, but reflects a passionate interest in photography since always. Although I was born in the age of analogue photography, I happily switched to digital photography. I use Photoshop extensively, partly because of the limitations of my present camera but also because of its endless possibilities. I hope that by joining Flickr, I could be part of an international community of photography fans.
- human landscapes - street photography 2,078 photos, 217 members
- Goddesses + Nymphs + Sirens + Muses 3,662 photos, 1,163 members
- Student Life 3,535 photos, 522 members
- Sorria / Smile 12,618 photos, 3,039 members
- Birds Portraits 1,196 photos, 2,039 members
- Pretty Woman Fashion 1,238 photos, 32 members
- Street Themes #15 - Parking inspectors 5,176 photos, 310 members
- Flickr Social 14,325 photos, 1,085 members
- Cologne Camera 20,013 photos, 652 members
- Beautiful pics from our friends 46,342 photos, 1,320 members
- We love beach! 13,576 photos, 1,169 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 6,344 photos, 917 members
- girls,girls 82,888 photos, 3,137 members
- PICTURES OF YOUR LIFE 525 photos, 56 members
- Daniel's Pic Pocket 12,344 photos, 513 members
- "Wildlife Photography" 5,625 photos, 671 members
- Valparaíso de mi amor, el Original 660 photos, 38 members
- * ❤ SOLO RITRATTI / PORTRAITS ❤ Admin Invite only P1/C2 223,222 photos, 5,804 members
- The Portrait Showroom (women/girls) 3,128 photos, 800 members
- MACRO~beautiful Insects of the world 20,037 photos, 1,603 members
- Colombia en Fotos 63,523 photos, 3,461 members
- Popayán 1,622 photos, 124 members
- Brasil/Brazil 344,430 photos, 12,223 members
- Theatre Of Life 82,624 photos, 2,044 members
- Documentary Photography / Photojournalism 51,723 photos, 3,261 members
- Crown Monochrome Group 23,748 photos, 297 members
- Youth in Revolt 27,876 photos, 2,121 members
- It's the Composition, Flickr 56,580 photos, 2,030 members
- Friends forever :) 2,736 photos, 483 members
- ***This should be a Postcard!*** 198,052 photos, 9,828 members
- Sailors don't cry 2,343 photos, 245 members
- South America Tour Feb 2013 785 photos, 134 members
- paint the soul 12,413 photos, 191 members
- ♥♥♥PE0PLE FR0M AR0UND THE W0RLD♥♥♥"FRIENDS"♥♥ 4,652 photos, 1,083 members
- Morro de São Paulo 713 photos, 104 members
- ♥♥♥♥ BAZAAR ♥♥♥♥ 10,347 photos, 951 members
- ♥♥♥♥ HULYA PRETTY GALLERIE ♥♥♥♥ 57,721 photos, 2,352 members
- *The Three Angels* LEVEL 1: Blue Angel (P1-A5) Closed 48,845 photos, 2,983 members
- *Qualified Members Only* - Level 1 (P1 - A5) Closed 24,759 photos, 2,084 members
- !Photo-Hobby! Level 1(Post 1 Award 4) Closed! 58,288 photos, 4,033 members
- ♥♥ VACATI0NS ♥♥ 34,980 photos, 1,737 members
- ♥♥ MEM0RIES FR0M THE HEART ♥♥ 39,085 photos, 2,275 members
- Flickr Model 70,125 photos, 4,399 members
- happy photos 2013 5,770 photos, 687 members
- London Streets 66,665 photos, 7,710 members
- My favorite works of my Flickr friends 101,887 photos, 2,296 members
- Cherry Tree Hospital Stockport. 337 photos, 52 members
- Our best photos on Flick 56,852 photos, 2,045 members
- Fotografías Sin Límites (FSL) 66,169 photos, 1,496 members
- Le coin des photographes 19,089 photos, 1,022 members
"Francisco es chileno pero no deja de sorprenderme lo "gringas" que son sus fotos: la selección de colores y sus combinaciones y la tendencia a entregar información objetiva, con numerosos encuadres a todo el campo visual, con pocos encuadres selectivos e intencionados, me causan esa sensación.
Imagino que en ello hay algo de la influencia de vivir, como él, en un contexto cultural distinto que, por novedoso, concentra la atención.
Si es así, pienso que finalmente será una experiencia enriquecedora que, de vuelta en su hogar, le hará ver lo nuestro ahora como nuevo y, eventualmente, valorarlo en distinta forma.
En todo caso, mientras este año transcurre, será agradable ver como su fotografía va siendo testigo de sus experiencias en esas tierras . . . y que sean las mejores."
December 10th, 2009
- Francisco Osorio
- September 2008
- Santiago, Chile
- Santiago, Chile
- I am:
- Social anthropologist
- Francisco Photography