I'm a Chilean photographer currently working on street photography and portraits, documenting Chilean society as it goes along globalisation. I'm also a university lecturer.
Update November 2012: It’s being a while since the last time I updated this profile. I think the reason is that I write every time I change my camera. Now I’ve got a Lumix G5. I’ve been consistent with the brand because it makes really easy street photography. I can carry the camera anywhere without causing problems to people. The shutter now can be electronic, meaning no sound at all if I want. It has a lot less noise and many features more. I’m still interested in the project “The Face of Chile” which consists in street portraits to people in this country. For now, I don’t have plans for exhibitions or books, just improving my images and showing you people in real like situations.
Update April 2011: I'm back in Chile. My first image is "CL Society 01: Adult runners", taken during the 2011 Santiago Marathon (my brother runs, but I prefer to take photographs). I'm very happy to contribute for the first time with my work to Chilean Flickr groups of all sorts. A new beginning for me and long waited one.
Update August 2010: I bought a new camera, the Panasonic Lumix G2. The main advantage for me is street photography. With the rotated display and touch screen features, I can simply walk and take photographs very fast. The focusing and the exposure are controlled with one touch of my finger. Hardly anyone notice I’m taking a photograph, because people don’t see me pressing the shutter. I think people assume that using the screen is for viewing photographs. Also, another year has passed and my knowledge of photography has increased. I’m an amateur, without a doubt, but I’m really trying to understand what makes a good photograph. I read very often about history of photography and about the masters. I really hope to create art through my pictures, but I’m just beginning the journey.
Update May 2009: Although I feel that live in the credit crunch era in the UK is both interesting and sad for job losses, I managed to buy a brand new camera: Panasonic G1, the first non-SRL ever. I could have had another brand for a similar price (I wanted a Nikon actually), but I was impressed by professional reviews and I took some risk. I am very happy with the G1 and I wouldn’t change it at all. My first Flickr photograph with it is UK Society 23. With that image I also enter into portraits because I feel more confident and my knowledge of Photoshop have increased. It’s a learning curve, as usual.
I am a Chilean social anthropologist very interested in photography since childhood. I remember my father bringing home a book to learn how to make photographs, which I read from cover to cover several times. Then, he bought a Russian SRL camera (Zenith), which we used for many years. With my younger brother we bought later a Nikon F601. He’s got now a Nikon D40 and I have got a point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70), which reflects of course my economical situation in the UK. I have read many photography books. I always borrow from university libraries photography books (they are so big and so expensive to buy). This does not mean that I have learnt something, but reflects a passionate interest in photography since always. Although I was born in the age of analogue photography, I happily switched to digital photography. I use Photoshop extensively, partly because of the limitations of my present camera but also because of its endless possibilities. I hope that by joining Flickr, I could be part of an international community of photography fans.
- The simplicity and beauty 3,391 photos, 99 members
- Colombia Hermosa 11,737 photos, 592 members
- Cartagena (Colombia) 1,998 photos, 202 members
- Cartagena de Indias - Colombia 5,125 photos, 495 members
- *** Zeitgeist of Today *** 5,312 photos, 809 members
- digital is the devil 208,957 photos, 4,653 members
- Gr8! Photos ۩ Post and Vote for various Contests ۩ 148,409 photos, 5,630 members
- Candid Corporation HQ 7,815 photos, 2,114 members
- the world's photography 76,829 photos, 4,800 members
- Goddesses + Nymphs + Sirens + Muses 5,317 photos, 1,359 members
- Student Life 3,846 photos, 536 members
- Sorria / Smile 12,412 photos, 3,053 members
- Birds Portraits 6,967 photos, 2,286 members
- Pretty Woman Fashion 1,866 photos, 52 members
- Street Themes #17 - Balloons 5,488 photos, 328 members
- Flickr Social 38,243 photos, 2,079 members
- Cologne Camera 27,889 photos, 678 members
- Beautiful pics from our friends 45,394 photos, 1,275 members
- We love beach! 13,122 photos, 1,132 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 10,706 photos, 957 members
- girls,girls 103,358 photos, 3,657 members
- PICTURES OF YOUR LIFE 1,075 photos, 68 members
- Daniel's Pic Pocket 18,170 photos, 514 members
- "Wildlife Photography" 8,938 photos, 718 members
- Valparaíso de mi amor, el Original 596 photos, 36 members
- * ❤ SOLO RITRATTI / PORTRAITS ❤ Admin Invite only P1/C2 226,794 photos, 5,804 members
- The Portrait Showroom (women/girls) 4,124 photos, 893 members
- MACRO~beautiful Insects of the world 27,261 photos, 1,748 members
- Colombia en Fotos 66,850 photos, 3,613 members
- Popayán 1,635 photos, 126 members
- Brasil/Brazil 358,588 photos, 12,556 members
- Theatre Of Life 95,937 photos, 2,208 members
- Documentary Photography / Photojournalism 58,108 photos, 3,525 members
- Crown Monochrome Group 25,261 photos, 293 members
- Youth in Revolt 26,276 photos, 2,215 members
- It's the Composition, Flickr 64,983 photos, 2,303 members
- Friends forever :) 2,882 photos, 487 members
- ***This should be a Postcard!*** 206,180 photos, 10,402 members
- Sailors don't cry 2,494 photos, 272 members
- South America Tour Feb 2013 785 photos, 134 members
- paint the soul 13,658 photos, 187 members
- ♥♥♥PE0PLE FR0M AR0UND THE W0RLD♥♥♥"FRIENDS"♥♥ 4,997 photos, 1,092 members
- Morro de São Paulo 734 photos, 105 members
- ♥♥♥♥ BAZAAR ♥♥♥♥ 10,487 photos, 953 members
- ♥♥♥♥ HULYA PRETTY GALLERIE ♥♥♥♥ 65,576 photos, 2,393 members
- *The Three Angels* LEVEL 1: Blue Angel (P1-A5) Closed 48,649 photos, 2,933 members
- *Qualified Members Only* - Level 1 (P1 - A5) Closed 24,729 photos, 2,045 members
- !Photo-Hobby! Level 1(Post 1 Award 4) Closed! 57,883 photos, 3,970 members
- ♥♥ VACATI0NS ♥♥ 39,345 photos, 1,759 members
- ♥♥ MEM0RIES FR0M THE HEART ♥♥ 40,080 photos, 2,277 members
"Francisco es chileno pero no deja de sorprenderme lo "gringas" que son sus fotos: la selección de colores y sus combinaciones y la tendencia a entregar información objetiva, con numerosos encuadres a todo el campo visual, con pocos encuadres selectivos e intencionados, me causan esa sensación.
Imagino que en ello hay algo de la influencia de vivir, como él, en un contexto cultural distinto que, por novedoso, concentra la atención.
Si es así, pienso que finalmente será una experiencia enriquecedora que, de vuelta en su hogar, le hará ver lo nuestro ahora como nuevo y, eventualmente, valorarlo en distinta forma.
En todo caso, mientras este año transcurre, será agradable ver como su fotografía va siendo testigo de sus experiencias en esas tierras . . . y que sean las mejores."
December 10th, 2009
- Francisco Osorio
- September 2008
- Santiago, Chile
- Santiago, Chile
- I am:
- Social anthropologist
- Francisco Photography