I'm a Chilean photographer currently working on street photography and portraits, documenting Chilean society as it goes along globalisation. I'm also a university lecturer.
Update November 2012: It’s being a while since the last time I updated this profile. I think the reason is that I write every time I change my camera. Now I’ve got a Lumix G5. I’ve been consistent with the brand because it makes really easy street photography. I can carry the camera anywhere without causing problems to people. The shutter now can be electronic, meaning no sound at all if I want. It has a lot less noise and many features more. I’m still interested in the project “The Face of Chile” which consists in street portraits to people in this country. For now, I don’t have plans for exhibitions or books, just improving my images and showing you people in real like situations.
Update April 2011: I'm back in Chile. My first image is "CL Society 01: Adult runners", taken during the 2011 Santiago Marathon (my brother runs, but I prefer to take photographs). I'm very happy to contribute for the first time with my work to Chilean Flickr groups of all sorts. A new beginning for me and long waited one.
Update August 2010: I bought a new camera, the Panasonic Lumix G2. The main advantage for me is street photography. With the rotated display and touch screen features, I can simply walk and take photographs very fast. The focusing and the exposure are controlled with one touch of my finger. Hardly anyone notice I’m taking a photograph, because people don’t see me pressing the shutter. I think people assume that using the screen is for viewing photographs. Also, another year has passed and my knowledge of photography has increased. I’m an amateur, without a doubt, but I’m really trying to understand what makes a good photograph. I read very often about history of photography and about the masters. I really hope to create art through my pictures, but I’m just beginning the journey.
Update May 2009: Although I feel that live in the credit crunch era in the UK is both interesting and sad for job losses, I managed to buy a brand new camera: Panasonic G1, the first non-SRL ever. I could have had another brand for a similar price (I wanted a Nikon actually), but I was impressed by professional reviews and I took some risk. I am very happy with the G1 and I wouldn’t change it at all. My first Flickr photograph with it is UK Society 23. With that image I also enter into portraits because I feel more confident and my knowledge of Photoshop have increased. It’s a learning curve, as usual.
I am a Chilean social anthropologist very interested in photography since childhood. I remember my father bringing home a book to learn how to make photographs, which I read from cover to cover several times. Then, he bought a Russian SRL camera (Zenith), which we used for many years. With my younger brother we bought later a Nikon F601. He’s got now a Nikon D40 and I have got a point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70), which reflects of course my economical situation in the UK. I have read many photography books. I always borrow from university libraries photography books (they are so big and so expensive to buy). This does not mean that I have learnt something, but reflects a passionate interest in photography since always. Although I was born in the age of analogue photography, I happily switched to digital photography. I use Photoshop extensively, partly because of the limitations of my present camera but also because of its endless possibilities. I hope that by joining Flickr, I could be part of an international community of photography fans.
- 2 - Two, Zwei, Deux, Due, Dva - Public Group 642 photos, 229 members
- Ахуенна! 10,084 photos, 630 members
- Flickr (World Wide) 83,632 photos, 7,948 members
- Group for all users of FLICKR 45,459 photos, 3,062 members
- Street Girls 2,443 photos, 148 members
- Sports Photographers 299,080 photos, 11,965 members
- Sports Photography 403,181 photos, 28,238 members
- Sports Illustrated 204,257 photos, 6,511 members
- SPORT PHOTO 159,121 photos, 3,337 members
- Runner Photos 4,053 photos, 449 members
- running 37,232 photos, 4,901 members
- Automotive Product Specialists 189 photos, 15 members
- Photo Geek #1 10,011 photos, 654 members
- Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 115,205 photos, 3,160 members
- The simplicity and beauty 12,306 photos, 167 members
- Colombia Hermosa 14,357 photos, 654 members
- Cartagena (Colombia) 2,258 photos, 213 members
- Cartagena de Indias - Colombia 5,795 photos, 532 members
- *** Zeitgeist of Today *** 17,045 photos, 1,092 members
- digital is the devil 345,487 photos, 6,363 members
- Gr8! Photos ۩ Post and Vote for various Contests ۩ 180,979 photos, 6,014 members
- Candid Corporation HQ 10,075 photos, 2,730 members
- the world's photography 292,520 photos, 6,284 members
- Goddesses + Nymphs + Sirens + Muses 7,925 photos, 1,665 members
- Student Life 4,204 photos, 576 members
- Sorria / Smile 11,936 photos, 3,059 members
- Birds Portraits 17,928 photos, 2,547 members
- Pretty Woman Fashion 3,273 photos, 111 members
- Street Themes #19 - Eating in motion 5,439 photos, 349 members
- Flickr Social 162,163 photos, 5,730 members
- Cologne Camera 38,656 photos, 707 members
- Beautiful pics from our friends 44,139 photos, 1,219 members
- We love beach! 12,675 photos, 1,073 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 16,921 photos, 972 members
- girls,girls 155,963 photos, 4,555 members
- PICTURES OF YOUR LIFE 1,276 photos, 71 members
- Daniel's Pic Pocket 25,114 photos, 504 members
- "Wildlife Photography" 21,639 photos, 782 members
- Valparaíso de mi amor, el Original 602 photos, 36 members
- * ❤ SOLO RITRATTI / PORTRAITS ❤ Admin Invite only P1/C2 217,951 photos, 5,663 members
- MACRO~beautiful Insects of the world 40,325 photos, 1,948 members
- Colombia en Fotos 72,084 photos, 3,740 members
- Popayán 1,711 photos, 129 members
- Brasil/Brazil 377,535 photos, 12,953 members
- Theatre Of Life 125,448 photos, 2,447 members
- Documentary Photography / Photojournalism 75,280 photos, 3,472 members
- Crown Monochrome Group 27,639 photos, 298 members
- Youth in Revolt 25,266 photos, 2,302 members
- It's the Composition, Flickr 70,362 photos, 2,562 members
- Friends forever :) 3,128 photos, 493 members
"Francisco es chileno pero no deja de sorprenderme lo "gringas" que son sus fotos: la selección de colores y sus combinaciones y la tendencia a entregar información objetiva, con numerosos encuadres a todo el campo visual, con pocos encuadres selectivos e intencionados, me causan esa sensación.
Imagino que en ello hay algo de la influencia de vivir, como él, en un contexto cultural distinto que, por novedoso, concentra la atención.
Si es así, pienso que finalmente será una experiencia enriquecedora que, de vuelta en su hogar, le hará ver lo nuestro ahora como nuevo y, eventualmente, valorarlo en distinta forma.
En todo caso, mientras este año transcurre, será agradable ver como su fotografía va siendo testigo de sus experiencias en esas tierras . . . y que sean las mejores."
December 10th, 2009
- Francisco Osorio
- September 2008
- Santiago, Chile
- Santiago, Chile
- I am:
- Social anthropologist
- Francisco Photography