I'm a Chilean photographer currently working on street photography and portraits, documenting Chilean society as it goes along globalisation. I'm also a university lecturer.
Update November 2012: It’s being a while since the last time I updated this profile. I think the reason is that I write every time I change my camera. Now I’ve got a Lumix G5. I’ve been consistent with the brand because it makes really easy street photography. I can carry the camera anywhere without causing problems to people. The shutter now can be electronic, meaning no sound at all if I want. It has a lot less noise and many features more. I’m still interested in the project “The Face of Chile” which consists in street portraits to people in this country. For now, I don’t have plans for exhibitions or books, just improving my images and showing you people in real like situations.
Update April 2011: I'm back in Chile. My first image is "CL Society 01: Adult runners", taken during the 2011 Santiago Marathon (my brother runs, but I prefer to take photographs). I'm very happy to contribute for the first time with my work to Chilean Flickr groups of all sorts. A new beginning for me and long waited one.
Update August 2010: I bought a new camera, the Panasonic Lumix G2. The main advantage for me is street photography. With the rotated display and touch screen features, I can simply walk and take photographs very fast. The focusing and the exposure are controlled with one touch of my finger. Hardly anyone notice I’m taking a photograph, because people don’t see me pressing the shutter. I think people assume that using the screen is for viewing photographs. Also, another year has passed and my knowledge of photography has increased. I’m an amateur, without a doubt, but I’m really trying to understand what makes a good photograph. I read very often about history of photography and about the masters. I really hope to create art through my pictures, but I’m just beginning the journey.
Update May 2009: Although I feel that live in the credit crunch era in the UK is both interesting and sad for job losses, I managed to buy a brand new camera: Panasonic G1, the first non-SRL ever. I could have had another brand for a similar price (I wanted a Nikon actually), but I was impressed by professional reviews and I took some risk. I am very happy with the G1 and I wouldn’t change it at all. My first Flickr photograph with it is UK Society 23. With that image I also enter into portraits because I feel more confident and my knowledge of Photoshop have increased. It’s a learning curve, as usual.
I am a Chilean social anthropologist very interested in photography since childhood. I remember my father bringing home a book to learn how to make photographs, which I read from cover to cover several times. Then, he bought a Russian SRL camera (Zenith), which we used for many years. With my younger brother we bought later a Nikon F601. He’s got now a Nikon D40 and I have got a point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70), which reflects of course my economical situation in the UK. I have read many photography books. I always borrow from university libraries photography books (they are so big and so expensive to buy). This does not mean that I have learnt something, but reflects a passionate interest in photography since always. Although I was born in the age of analogue photography, I happily switched to digital photography. I use Photoshop extensively, partly because of the limitations of my present camera but also because of its endless possibilities. I hope that by joining Flickr, I could be part of an international community of photography fans.
- digital is the devil 196,354 photos, 4,330 members
- Gr8! Photos ۩ Post and Vote for various Contests ۩ 145,299 photos, 5,578 members
- Candid Corporation HQ 7,241 photos, 2,012 members
- the world's photography 54,483 photos, 4,591 members
- Goddesses + Nymphs + Sirens + Muses 5,029 photos, 1,347 members
- Student Life 3,811 photos, 535 members
- Sorria / Smile 12,443 photos, 3,053 members
- Birds Portraits 6,138 photos, 2,257 members
- Pretty Woman Fashion 1,790 photos, 50 members
- Street Themes #17 - Balloons 5,415 photos, 324 members
- Flickr Social 31,636 photos, 1,855 members
- Cologne Camera 26,412 photos, 672 members
- Beautiful pics from our friends 45,509 photos, 1,284 members
- We love beach! 13,215 photos, 1,134 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 9,761 photos, 952 members
- girls,girls 100,011 photos, 3,552 members
- PICTURES OF YOUR LIFE 989 photos, 66 members
- Daniel's Pic Pocket 17,401 photos, 519 members
- "Wildlife Photography" 7,718 photos, 707 members
- Valparaíso de mi amor, el Original 593 photos, 36 members
- * ❤ SOLO RITRATTI / PORTRAITS ❤ Admin Invite only P1/C2 228,383 photos, 5,819 members
- The Portrait Showroom (women/girls) 3,637 photos, 875 members
- MACRO~beautiful Insects of the world 25,746 photos, 1,718 members
- Colombia en Fotos 66,124 photos, 3,586 members
- Popayán 1,667 photos, 125 members
- Brasil/Brazil 356,488 photos, 12,498 members
- Theatre Of Life 93,199 photos, 2,182 members
- Documentary Photography / Photojournalism 56,803 photos, 3,530 members
- Crown Monochrome Group 25,010 photos, 294 members
- Youth in Revolt 26,618 photos, 2,194 members
- It's the Composition, Flickr 63,274 photos, 2,245 members
- Friends forever :) 2,858 photos, 488 members
- ***This should be a Postcard!*** 205,606 photos, 10,313 members
- Sailors don't cry 2,475 photos, 270 members
- South America Tour Feb 2013 785 photos, 134 members
- paint the soul 13,357 photos, 188 members
- ♥♥♥PE0PLE FR0M AR0UND THE W0RLD♥♥♥"FRIENDS"♥♥ 4,935 photos, 1,091 members
- Morro de São Paulo 727 photos, 103 members
- ♥♥♥♥ BAZAAR ♥♥♥♥ 10,517 photos, 958 members
- ♥♥♥♥ HULYA PRETTY GALLERIE ♥♥♥♥ 64,364 photos, 2,410 members
- *The Three Angels* LEVEL 1: Blue Angel (P1-A5) Closed 48,381 photos, 2,944 members
- *Qualified Members Only* - Level 1 (P1 - A5) Closed 24,554 photos, 2,054 members
- !Photo-Hobby! Level 1(Post 1 Award 4) Closed! 57,869 photos, 3,984 members
- ♥♥ VACATI0NS ♥♥ 38,484 photos, 1,762 members
- ♥♥ MEM0RIES FR0M THE HEART ♥♥ 40,073 photos, 2,279 members
- Flickr Model 75,810 photos, 4,602 members
- happy photos 2013 5,858 photos, 688 members
- London Streets 78,143 photos, 8,333 members
- My favorite works of my Flickr friends 118,637 photos, 2,418 members
- Cherry Tree Hospital Stockport. 337 photos, 53 members
"Francisco es chileno pero no deja de sorprenderme lo "gringas" que son sus fotos: la selección de colores y sus combinaciones y la tendencia a entregar información objetiva, con numerosos encuadres a todo el campo visual, con pocos encuadres selectivos e intencionados, me causan esa sensación.
Imagino que en ello hay algo de la influencia de vivir, como él, en un contexto cultural distinto que, por novedoso, concentra la atención.
Si es así, pienso que finalmente será una experiencia enriquecedora que, de vuelta en su hogar, le hará ver lo nuestro ahora como nuevo y, eventualmente, valorarlo en distinta forma.
En todo caso, mientras este año transcurre, será agradable ver como su fotografía va siendo testigo de sus experiencias en esas tierras . . . y que sean las mejores."
December 10th, 2009
- Francisco Osorio
- September 2008
- Santiago, Chile
- Santiago, Chile
- I am:
- Social anthropologist
- Francisco Photography