If you wish to contact me to purchase a print, license an image, or for any other reason, please use FlickrMail: (www.flickr.com/mail/write/?to=42199523@N08)
N.B. I'm happy and flattered if you want to use any of my images. But please ask permission via FlickrMail. I like to know how my images are being used, and I ask that you link to my image or credit me. If you want to use an image for non-commercial purposes, the image is free. If the image is used for money-making purposes, I expect payment. You can license a photo from Getty Images here. You can also contact me to purchase a print or for any other reason via FlickrMail.
o View my most interesting photos as thumbnails.
o View my award winning photos.
o View my photos that have been exhibited.
o View my photos that have been EXPLORED! on Flickr. (What's EXPLORE? FAQ)
Some photos available for licensing from Getty Images here.
Member, Berkeley Camera Club
Administrator, Berkeley Camera Club Flickr group
Member, Berkeley Fine Art Photographers
Member, f15 group (Click "Preview")
Member, Digital Arts Collective
"I exaggerate, sometimes I make changes in the subject; but still I don't invent the whole picture. On the contrary, I find it already there. It's a question of picking out what one wants from nature."
- Vincent Van Gogh
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
- Henry David Thoreau
"The camera is much more than a recording apparatus. It is a medium via which messages reach us from another world."
- Orson Welles
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein
"Photography is still a very new medium and everything is allowed and everything should be tried."
- Bill Brandt
It's 6:30 am on a cold winter morning and Ron Rothbart is setting up his tripod on a promontory jutting out into San Francisco Bay only ten minutes from his home. He focuses his camera on a decaying old pier and attaches a dark filter to the lens. He clicks his remote control to start the exposure and then waits five minutes while the camera sucks in light. "Slow photography" he calls it. "I love finding places like this, being out here by the water, composing other-worldly images. I'm not trying to represent reality," he says. "Reality is over-rated."
Rothbart creates simple, graphic images, usually in black and white. The long exposures and Ron's photo-editing techniques present us with highly textured objects against smooth, silky water and blurred clouds. The images often do have an other-worldly quality.
Rothbart lived in New York, Florida, Illinois, and Massachusetts before coming to California in 1968. After knocking around awhile, he earned a PhD at UC-Berkeley and then spent over twenty years as a technical writer and manager in the software industry. Now he devotes much of his time to photography.
I started doing photography long before I owned a camera. I listened to the radio a lot as a kid and, because we had no TV, I was left to imagine what the Lone Ranger, Sky King, and Big John and Sparkie looked like. The radio, filtered through my imagination, granted me access to another world.
Today the camera grants me access to another world. I point it at something earthly, but what it picks up are other-worldly signals. I use photo-editing software to interpret those signals. My aim is not to reproduce what I see but to pass on messages that come to me from an alternative universe.
• Berkeley Fine Art Photographers, Orinda Community Center, Orinda, CA, October, 2017
• Berkeley Fine Art Photographers, LightRoom, Berkeley, CA, April-May, 2016
• "Climate Change," Juried, Art Works Downtown, 1337 Gallery, San Rafael, CA, Jan- Feb, 2016
• f15 Group, Nielsen Arts, Berkeley, CA, December, 2015 – February, 2016
• Digital Arts Collective, Lightroom Gallery, Berkeley CA, Nov. 2015
• Berkeley Fine Art Photographers, Photolab, Berkeley, CA, March-April, 2015
• Darkroom Gallery, Essex Jct, Vermont, Feb-March, 2015
• f15 Group, UC Theatre Gallery, July-August, 2014
• Digital Arts Collective, 3rd Floor, Berkeley City College, May, 2014 - May, 2015
• Berkeley Fine Art Photographers, Nelly's Java Cafe, Oakland, CA, April, 2014
• Digital Arts Collective, Jerry Adams Gallery, Berkeley City College, January 24 - February 27, 2014
• Berkeley Camera Club, Nielsen Arts, Berkeley, CA, December 14, 2013 - February 5, 2014
• Berkeley Camera Club, Center Street Lobby Gallery, City of Berkeley and Expressions Gallery, August 10 - November 1, 2013
• Annual Photography Competition, First Place, Thousand Oaks Art Gallery, Berkeley, CA, June 8 - July 8, 2013
• Berkeley Camera Club, Lightroom Gallery, Berkeley, CA, August 13 - Sept. 7, 2012
• Permanent collection, Musée des religions du monde (Museum of world’s religions), Nicolet, Québec, from May 29, 2012
• Berkeley Camera Club, Zocalo Coffeehouse, San Leandro, CA, May, 2012
• Berkeley Camera Club, Nieslen Arts, Berkeley, CA, December 11 - February 12, 2012
• Berkeley Camera Club, Nelly's Java Cafe, Oakland, CA, Aug. 1 - Aug. 31, 2011
• The Art of Jazz and Music, 57th Street Gallery, Oakland, CA, Nov. 2 - Dec. 12, 2010
o Starting in June 2017, I added an iPhone 7 Plus.
o Starting in November 2016, I added a Sony DSC RX100 for use on hikes, about town, and when traveling.
o Since May, 2015, I've been using a Canon Rebel T6s. From April, 2010, I used a Canon Rebel XSi. And before that, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5.
o With the XSi, I used the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. It died after a few years due to a well-known defect, was fixed, and then died again a couple of years later.
o With the T6s, I'm using the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and the following:
o EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
o Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
o Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
o Holga lens for Canon
o Hoya Circular Polarlizer
o B+W 10-stop neutral density filter (110 ND 3.0)
o B+W 6-stop neutral density filter (106 1.8-64X)
o XUME adapters (enables snapping on screw-on filters)
o Fotodiox Canon EOS Macro Extension Tube Set Kit
o Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Legs with 498RC2 Ball Head (7 lbs)
For post-processing, I use Lightroom, Photoshop, and Nik plugins.
If you want to contact me, please use FlickrMail.
Photos of Ron Rothbart (1)
- Suburbia 34,770 photos, 1,866 members
- Indoor wall climbing and bouldering 1,451 photos, 339 members
- Mount Rainier National Park 10,737 photos, 1,007 members
- University of Washington 4,699 photos, 575 members
- Seattle, Washington 24,017 photos, 1,045 members
- Sidewalk Chalk 923 photos, 221 members
- Kids Original Artwork and Cartoons 926 photos, 100 members
- Child's Art 7,791 photos, 736 members
- Zoomburst 1,682 photos, 394 members
- RACK THE ZOOM 652 photos, 157 members
- Zoom 2,067 photos, 131 members
- Intentional Camera Movement 1,155 photos, 91 members
- ICM - I like to move it! (intentional camera movement) 614 photos, 93 members
- Flower Flower Flower 1,126,425 photos, 70,000 members
- flower power! 176,613 photos, 7,873 members
- I love my cat 443,872 photos, 54,435 members
- ** The Cats Meow ** 2,749 photos, 82 members
- iPhone + Pets = Love 1,149 photos, 118 members
- Videos taken with an Apple iPhone 1,436 photos, 387 members
- iPhone Panorama 528 photos, 73 members
- iPhone Freaks 363,400 photos, 10,057 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 732,409 photos, 26,547 members
- Panoramas - Panoramiques 159,140 photos, 12,095 members
- Global warming - we CAN stop it !!! / Earth in DANGER... 6,217 photos, 1,288 members
- Citizens' Climate Lobby Alameda County 173 photos, 4 members
- Global Climate Change 6,586 photos, 1,341 members
- *****CLIMATE CHANGE***** 1,509 photos, 580 members
- Global Warming & Climate Change 1,417 photos, 251 members
- Natural Landscapes 18,289 photos, 4,886 members
- Golden Landscape, Only The Best ! (Post 1, Comment 1) 125,863 photos, 10,369 members
- Street Photography & Candid Street Portrait (The Very Best) 10,848 photos, 6,967 members
- Street Photography Blog 1,693,581 photos, 53,515 members
- Street Photography 3,367 photos, 45,307 members
- RAW Street Photography 1,514,195 photos, 45,802 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 15,396 photos, 4,310 members
- ANGELO'S JUROR SELECTION ( Test yourself ) 46 photos, 13 members
- UWA - Ultra Wide Angle 43,941 photos, 1,616 members
- Wide or ultra wide angle shots 52,936 photos, 1,461 members
- Wide-angle 380,215 photos, 13,274 members
- ART / REAL 274,570 photos, 7,663 members
- The Best of San Francisco 28,949 photos, 2,114 members
- Mare Island 1,690 photos, 140 members
- art gallery 204,510 photos, 5,493 members
- Piling Love 1,389 photos, 185 members
- pilings 1,393 photos, 186 members
- Rotting Piers 282 photos, 68 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 92,660 photos, 15,246 members
- 10 stop filter 21,410 photos, 2,204 members
- Mare Island Nocturnes 945 photos, 142 members
- [Noctography] 118,710 photos, 5,440 members
Ron Rothbart doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ron Rothbart
- September 2009
- El Cerrito, California, USA
- Photographer Extraordinaire (aka retired)