Click *HERE* to ask my permission before using any of my photos.
My photos are All Rights Reserved. Copyright © 2008-2010
fo-ton-o-mous [foh-ton-uh-muh s] noun
photo + autonomous = fotonomous
1.Web identity of Lydia Marcus, an individualist, Piscean & native Los Angeleno (Encino/WEHO) raised in diametrically opposed communities shaped by culture, status, sexuality, and spirituality.This multifaceted upbringing informed her ability & desire to always seek to blend out instead of blend in.
2.Blog of Lydia Marcus, a writer, photographer (Nikon & Polaroid shooter), filmmaker & unapologetic Valley girl.
The "Official Bio"
Lydia Marcus has been taking photos since early childhood but it wasn’t until she took high school photo that she began to discover her “eye” and develop a lifelong passion for photography. Since then, no classic car, neon sign or cute dog has been safe from her gaze.
Her lifelong fascination and appreciation of cars is shared through her “Curious Transport” series capturing abstract pinstripes, distressed paint, and super glossy customization. A native Los Angeleno and unapologetic “Valley girl” - Lydia’s “Sign Language” series reveals quintessential L.A. scenery – places that are thriving and much that is rapidly disappearing.
Lydia shoots in many formats - digital (Nikon D80/D40), 35mm film (Contax 137MD/T2) and her beloved Polaroid (SX-70/SLR 680 SE/195). Her most prized camera is a trusty old medium format Rolleicord she inherited from her Uncle Fritz.
Lydia’s photos have appeared online and in print for outlets including JPG Magazine, Light Leaks Magazine, AOL City Guide Los Angeles, Jet Magazine, The Advocate, Planetout.com, Gay.com, 411 Magazine (Florida), sandrabernhard.com, (Miami) 411 Magazine, Frontiers, and IN Los Angeles. As an entertainment journalist her articles have appeared in a variety of outlets including The Los Angeles Times, The Advocate, AOL City Guide Los Angeles, indieWIRE.com, Windy City Times, Release Print, Baltimore Alternative, Girlfriends, and Planetout.com
In 2006/2007 Lydia toured with Sandra Bernhard photographing Bernhard’s live show “Everything Bad and Beautiful.” One of her photos of Bernhard was one of the winners of JPG Magazine’s Polaroid Portrait competition. In 2007/2008, Lydia's photos were featured in four Los Angeles group shows at Shotgun Space, Julia Dean Gallery, Bel-Air Camera, and Untitled Gallery. She is the founder of two Flickr groups: Polaroid Cars and Pola Dogs. In 2009, Getty Images began representing some of her photographs through their Flickr partnership. In 2010, LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum Of Art) began selling a tote bag with Lydia's image of L.A. iconic art sculpture Urban Light.
Her clients have included actress/performer Sandra Bernhard, actress/performer Jenifer Lewis, the San Fernando Valley Chamber of Commerce, Wolfe Video, Outfest, and the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center.
"The effort is to find that perfectly balanced frame where everything fits. It's not exactly the same as life, it's life seen better." - Robert Adams
"...She's a Valley Girl and there is no cure, okay fine, fer sure, fer sure..."
- Frank Zappa
"Having a studio is a little like having a fancy car. It doesn’t help you take better pictures." - Annie Leibovitz in "Annie Leibovitz at Work"
to check out my photo blog go to fotonomous.blogspot.com
My Flickr photostream:
I started the Flickr Group Polaroid Cars.
I started the Flickr Group Pola Dogs.
My Favorite Photo Books:
Andre Kertesz "The Polaroids"
Viggo Mortensen "Recent Forgeries"
Mitch Epstein "Work"
Stephen Shore "Uncommon Places"
Adam Bartos "Boulevard"
John Divola "Isolated Houses"
My Mom (Beverly Burton Marcus)
My Aunt (Lisa Marcus Schiller)
A list of all of my Polaroid Cameras:
(Time Zero Film)
- SX-70 Alpha (brownish/orange leather with white body - hand me down from my Uncle)
- SX-70 Sonar (Black leather/Silver body)
- One Step (SX-70 version) - White with Polaroid rainbow stripe - first integral film camera my family bought. Shot with this in late elementary school and early junior high years.
- Sun 600 LMS
- One Step Auto Focus (Purple - rounder clamshell design mid-late 90's)
- One Step (generic black - early 2000)
- One (latest style, Silver)
- SLR 680 SE - the camera i pick up when i use 600/779 film. simply awesome.
- Impulse SE (black body) - one of the best 600 cameras
(Spectra / Image Film)
- Spectra 1200si
- Spectra ProCam
- Spectra Onyx
- Spectra 1200FF
- Minolta Instant Pro (same body as Spectra)
(Captiva / Joycam / 500 Film)
- Captiva SLR
- Joycam (Black, Silver Metallic, Light Blue Metallic)
- iZone (light Green translucent)
(mio / Fuji Instax Mini Film)
(3 1/4 x4 1/4 PEEL APART PACK FILM)
- 110 B Pathfinder (converted to 3.25x4.25)
- Big Shot
- Super Shooter Plus - first Polaroid camera my family owned. I grew up using this as a kid.
- 203 MiniPortrait
- 402 MiniPortrait
- 403 MiniPortrait (it doesn't work)
- 4 image passport photo / miniportrait (non Polaroid brand)
- Daylab Copysystem Pro
Nikon D40 - (digital SLR i grab the most - it's so lightweight and fun to use)
Nikon Coolpix S2 (put into semi-retirement now that I've upgraded to a Sony T100)
Sony Cybershot DSC-T100
Contax 137MD / Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.7
Leica Mini Zoom
Rolleicord Va (inherited from my Uncle)
Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Nikon FG (hand me down from my Uncle)
Canon AE-1 Program (my first 35mm SLR)
Canon AF35M (my first 35mm camera)
Nikonos V (35mm / f/2.5)
Polaroidesque Cameras / Films:
Fuji Instax 200 (Fuji Instax Wide Film)
Fuji Instax Mini Film (shot with Polaroid mio)
Canon Selphy CP510
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AF-D
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 (Sold)
Nikon 18-200 VR
Nikon 24mm f2.8
Nikon 105 f2.8 Micro
Create your own visitor map!
visited 25 states (50%)Create your own visited map of The United States or determine the next president
- Nikon Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX 90,899 photos, 7,991 members
- Pride Rainbows 3,301 photos, 425 members
- Nikon Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G Micro AF-S DX 14,012 photos, 1,081 members
- Nikon Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro 10,524 photos, 646 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 50,408 photos, 5,042 members
- Parkology 5,877 photos, 226 members
- Muffler Men and other Roadside Statues, also cool signs. 7,442 photos, 384 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,591,680 photos, 82,611 members
- Professional Pet Photography 9,981 photos, 1,021 members
- Pawsome phoDOGraphy 83,132 photos, 4,030 members
- Nikon Prime Lens Club 37,540 photos, 1,765 members
- Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G vs Sigma 30mm f/1.4 5,244 photos, 494 members
- Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.4G 5,275 photos, 990 members
- Jeep Dogs 1,179 photos, 63 members
- Nikon 85mm Users Group 18,074 photos, 2,428 members
- GAY DAY 8,887 photos, 801 members
- Gay Pride 67,847 photos, 3,077 members
- Nikon D5100 425,942 photos, 12,825 members
- Collie Crosses 2,120 photos, 282 members
- *Black*Lab*Love* 1,504 photos, 203 members
- Bordadors 546 photos, 58 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 672,301 photos, 27,222 members
- IMPOSSIBLE Stickers & Bags in the Wild 32 photos, 58 members
- Polaroid "WildSide" film 89 photos, 16 members
- Cuban Cars / Carros Cubanos 8,381 photos, 930 members
- Faces in Places 26,118 photos, 7,219 members
- Passportrait 455 photos, 169 members
- BMW - ART CAR 162 photos, 34 members
- Buick Lesabre (1959-2005 343 photos, 35 members
- Tilley Hat Adventures 497 photos, 99 members
- INTERESTING CAR PHOTOS 38,895 photos, 970 members
- European cars of North America 11,923 photos, 241 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,260 photos, 1,616 members
- Route 66 41,703 photos, 2,978 members
- PX / PZ / 8x10 / PQ Silver Shade Film by The Impossible Project 19,536 photos, 2,495 members
- Foster Farm Fakes Fotos 5 photos, 5 members
- Polaroid Signs 1,396 photos, 101 members
- Polaroid Motion 60 photos, 15 members
- RescueMe: Animal Shelter Relief - increasing shelter awareness 3,211 photos, 302 members
- El Camino 1,434 photos, 231 members
- Polaroid ; Fade to Black. 1,412 photos, 316 members
- Professional Car Photography 14,698 photos, 917 members
- Polaroid Film 19,322 photos, 990 members
- Discover Los Angeles 51,067 photos, 2,726 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 976,423 photos, 125,097 members
- Ferrari Passion 38,132 photos, 1,232 members
- Odd, unusual, weird, wacky, or custom cars 20,281 photos, 902 members
- Sign City 222,960 photos, 11,566 members
- I Love LA 62,515 photos, 1,617 members
- Black Labs 22,576 photos, 7,251 members
fotonomous doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2007
- Los Angeles CA
- I am:
- Female and Single
- writer / photographer / filmmaker