Click *HERE* to ask my permission before using any of my photos.
My photos are All Rights Reserved. Copyright © 2008-2010
fo-ton-o-mous [foh-ton-uh-muh s] noun
photo + autonomous = fotonomous
1.Web identity of Lydia Marcus, an individualist, Piscean & native Los Angeleno (Encino/WEHO) raised in diametrically opposed communities shaped by culture, status, sexuality, and spirituality.This multifaceted upbringing informed her ability & desire to always seek to blend out instead of blend in.
2.Blog of Lydia Marcus, a writer, photographer (Nikon & Polaroid shooter), filmmaker & unapologetic Valley girl.
The "Official Bio"
Lydia Marcus has been taking photos since early childhood but it wasn’t until she took high school photo that she began to discover her “eye” and develop a lifelong passion for photography. Since then, no classic car, neon sign or cute dog has been safe from her gaze.
Her lifelong fascination and appreciation of cars is shared through her “Curious Transport” series capturing abstract pinstripes, distressed paint, and super glossy customization. A native Los Angeleno and unapologetic “Valley girl” - Lydia’s “Sign Language” series reveals quintessential L.A. scenery – places that are thriving and much that is rapidly disappearing.
Lydia shoots in many formats - digital (Nikon D80/D40), 35mm film (Contax 137MD/T2) and her beloved Polaroid (SX-70/SLR 680 SE/195). Her most prized camera is a trusty old medium format Rolleicord she inherited from her Uncle Fritz.
Lydia’s photos have appeared online and in print for outlets including JPG Magazine, Light Leaks Magazine, AOL City Guide Los Angeles, Jet Magazine, The Advocate, Planetout.com, Gay.com, 411 Magazine (Florida), sandrabernhard.com, (Miami) 411 Magazine, Frontiers, and IN Los Angeles. As an entertainment journalist her articles have appeared in a variety of outlets including The Los Angeles Times, The Advocate, AOL City Guide Los Angeles, indieWIRE.com, Windy City Times, Release Print, Baltimore Alternative, Girlfriends, and Planetout.com
In 2006/2007 Lydia toured with Sandra Bernhard photographing Bernhard’s live show “Everything Bad and Beautiful.” One of her photos of Bernhard was one of the winners of JPG Magazine’s Polaroid Portrait competition. In 2007/2008, Lydia's photos were featured in four Los Angeles group shows at Shotgun Space, Julia Dean Gallery, Bel-Air Camera, and Untitled Gallery. She is the founder of two Flickr groups: Polaroid Cars and Pola Dogs. In 2009, Getty Images began representing some of her photographs through their Flickr partnership. In 2010, LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum Of Art) began selling a tote bag with Lydia's image of L.A. iconic art sculpture Urban Light.
Her clients have included actress/performer Sandra Bernhard, actress/performer Jenifer Lewis, the San Fernando Valley Chamber of Commerce, Wolfe Video, Outfest, and the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center.
"The effort is to find that perfectly balanced frame where everything fits. It's not exactly the same as life, it's life seen better." - Robert Adams
"...She's a Valley Girl and there is no cure, okay fine, fer sure, fer sure..."
- Frank Zappa
"Having a studio is a little like having a fancy car. It doesn’t help you take better pictures." - Annie Leibovitz in "Annie Leibovitz at Work"
to check out my photo blog go to fotonomous.blogspot.com
My Flickr photostream:
I started the Flickr Group Polaroid Cars.
I started the Flickr Group Pola Dogs.
My Favorite Photo Books:
Andre Kertesz "The Polaroids"
Viggo Mortensen "Recent Forgeries"
Mitch Epstein "Work"
Stephen Shore "Uncommon Places"
Adam Bartos "Boulevard"
John Divola "Isolated Houses"
My Mom (Beverly Burton Marcus)
My Aunt (Lisa Marcus Schiller)
A list of all of my Polaroid Cameras:
(Time Zero Film)
- SX-70 Alpha (brownish/orange leather with white body - hand me down from my Uncle)
- SX-70 Sonar (Black leather/Silver body)
- One Step (SX-70 version) - White with Polaroid rainbow stripe - first integral film camera my family bought. Shot with this in late elementary school and early junior high years.
- Sun 600 LMS
- One Step Auto Focus (Purple - rounder clamshell design mid-late 90's)
- One Step (generic black - early 2000)
- One (latest style, Silver)
- SLR 680 SE - the camera i pick up when i use 600/779 film. simply awesome.
- Impulse SE (black body) - one of the best 600 cameras
(Spectra / Image Film)
- Spectra 1200si
- Spectra ProCam
- Spectra Onyx
- Spectra 1200FF
- Minolta Instant Pro (same body as Spectra)
(Captiva / Joycam / 500 Film)
- Captiva SLR
- Joycam (Black, Silver Metallic, Light Blue Metallic)
- iZone (light Green translucent)
(mio / Fuji Instax Mini Film)
(3 1/4 x4 1/4 PEEL APART PACK FILM)
- 110 B Pathfinder (converted to 3.25x4.25)
- Big Shot
- Super Shooter Plus - first Polaroid camera my family owned. I grew up using this as a kid.
- 203 MiniPortrait
- 402 MiniPortrait
- 403 MiniPortrait (it doesn't work)
- 4 image passport photo / miniportrait (non Polaroid brand)
- Daylab Copysystem Pro
Nikon D40 - (digital SLR i grab the most - it's so lightweight and fun to use)
Nikon Coolpix S2 (put into semi-retirement now that I've upgraded to a Sony T100)
Sony Cybershot DSC-T100
Contax 137MD / Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.7
Leica Mini Zoom
Rolleicord Va (inherited from my Uncle)
Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Nikon FG (hand me down from my Uncle)
Canon AE-1 Program (my first 35mm SLR)
Canon AF35M (my first 35mm camera)
Nikonos V (35mm / f/2.5)
Polaroidesque Cameras / Films:
Fuji Instax 200 (Fuji Instax Wide Film)
Fuji Instax Mini Film (shot with Polaroid mio)
Canon Selphy CP510
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AF-D
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 (Sold)
Nikon 18-200 VR
Nikon 24mm f2.8
Nikon 105 f2.8 Micro
Create your own visitor map!
visited 25 states (50%)Create your own visited map of The United States or determine the next president
- Nikon Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX 89,379 photos, 7,877 members
- Pride Rainbows 3,274 photos, 419 members
- Nikon Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G Micro AF-S DX 13,869 photos, 1,068 members
- Nikon Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro 10,277 photos, 627 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 49,268 photos, 5,005 members
- Parkology 5,877 photos, 225 members
- Muffler Men and other Roadside Statues, also cool signs. 7,298 photos, 381 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,569,268 photos, 82,352 members
- Professional Pet Photography 9,739 photos, 1,008 members
- Pawsome phoDOGraphy 82,372 photos, 4,007 members
- Nikon Prime Lens Club 36,547 photos, 1,750 members
- Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G vs Sigma 30mm f/1.4 5,160 photos, 485 members
- Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.4G 5,226 photos, 978 members
- Jeep Dogs 1,040 photos, 63 members
- Nikon 85mm Users Group 17,687 photos, 2,400 members
- GAY DAY 8,835 photos, 797 members
- Gay Pride 67,154 photos, 3,072 members
- Nikon D5100 420,590 photos, 12,771 members
- Collie Crosses 2,137 photos, 282 members
- *Black*Lab*Love* 1,483 photos, 202 members
- Bordadors 537 photos, 57 members
- The American Pick-up Truck 34,384 photos, 966 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 664,218 photos, 27,129 members
- IMPOSSIBLE Stickers & Bags in the Wild 32 photos, 58 members
- Polaroid "WildSide" film 89 photos, 16 members
- Cuban Cars / Carros Cubanos 8,321 photos, 929 members
- Faces in Places 26,039 photos, 7,206 members
- Passportrait 454 photos, 168 members
- BMW - ART CAR 162 photos, 35 members
- Buick Lesabre (1959-2005 343 photos, 35 members
- Tilley Hat Adventures 495 photos, 99 members
- INTERESTING CAR PHOTOS 38,210 photos, 960 members
- European cars of North America 11,781 photos, 241 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,274 photos, 1,617 members
- Route 66 41,481 photos, 2,963 members
- PX / PZ / 8x10 / PQ Silver Shade Film by The Impossible Project 19,715 photos, 2,489 members
- Foster Farm Fakes Fotos 5 photos, 5 members
- Polaroid Signs 1,379 photos, 98 members
- Polaroid Motion 60 photos, 15 members
- RescueMe: Animal Shelter Relief - increasing shelter awareness 3,188 photos, 300 members
- El Camino 1,416 photos, 230 members
- Polaroid ; Fade to Black. 1,413 photos, 313 members
- Professional Car Photography 14,642 photos, 919 members
- Polaroid Film 19,219 photos, 988 members
- Discover Los Angeles 50,630 photos, 2,679 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 970,085 photos, 124,313 members
- Ferrari Passion 37,330 photos, 1,222 members
- Odd, unusual, weird, wacky, or custom cars 20,094 photos, 890 members
- Sign City 221,195 photos, 11,551 members
- I Love LA 61,964 photos, 1,608 members
fotonomous doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2007
- Los Angeles CA
- I am:
- Female and Single
- writer / photographer / filmmaker