Click *HERE* to ask my permission before using any of my photos.
My photos are All Rights Reserved. Copyright © 2008-2010
fo-ton-o-mous [foh-ton-uh-muh s] noun
photo + autonomous = fotonomous
1.Web identity of Lydia Marcus, an individualist, Piscean & native Los Angeleno (Encino/WEHO) raised in diametrically opposed communities shaped by culture, status, sexuality, and spirituality.This multifaceted upbringing informed her ability & desire to always seek to blend out instead of blend in.
2.Blog of Lydia Marcus, a writer, photographer (Nikon & Polaroid shooter), filmmaker & unapologetic Valley girl.
The "Official Bio"
Lydia Marcus has been taking photos since early childhood but it wasn’t until she took high school photo that she began to discover her “eye” and develop a lifelong passion for photography. Since then, no classic car, neon sign or cute dog has been safe from her gaze.
Her lifelong fascination and appreciation of cars is shared through her “Curious Transport” series capturing abstract pinstripes, distressed paint, and super glossy customization. A native Los Angeleno and unapologetic “Valley girl” - Lydia’s “Sign Language” series reveals quintessential L.A. scenery – places that are thriving and much that is rapidly disappearing.
Lydia shoots in many formats - digital (Nikon D80/D40), 35mm film (Contax 137MD/T2) and her beloved Polaroid (SX-70/SLR 680 SE/195). Her most prized camera is a trusty old medium format Rolleicord she inherited from her Uncle Fritz.
Lydia’s photos have appeared online and in print for outlets including JPG Magazine, Light Leaks Magazine, AOL City Guide Los Angeles, Jet Magazine, The Advocate, Planetout.com, Gay.com, 411 Magazine (Florida), sandrabernhard.com, (Miami) 411 Magazine, Frontiers, and IN Los Angeles. As an entertainment journalist her articles have appeared in a variety of outlets including The Los Angeles Times, The Advocate, AOL City Guide Los Angeles, indieWIRE.com, Windy City Times, Release Print, Baltimore Alternative, Girlfriends, and Planetout.com
In 2006/2007 Lydia toured with Sandra Bernhard photographing Bernhard’s live show “Everything Bad and Beautiful.” One of her photos of Bernhard was one of the winners of JPG Magazine’s Polaroid Portrait competition. In 2007/2008, Lydia's photos were featured in four Los Angeles group shows at Shotgun Space, Julia Dean Gallery, Bel-Air Camera, and Untitled Gallery. She is the founder of two Flickr groups: Polaroid Cars and Pola Dogs. In 2009, Getty Images began representing some of her photographs through their Flickr partnership. In 2010, LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum Of Art) began selling a tote bag with Lydia's image of L.A. iconic art sculpture Urban Light.
Her clients have included actress/performer Sandra Bernhard, actress/performer Jenifer Lewis, the San Fernando Valley Chamber of Commerce, Wolfe Video, Outfest, and the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center.
"The effort is to find that perfectly balanced frame where everything fits. It's not exactly the same as life, it's life seen better." - Robert Adams
"...She's a Valley Girl and there is no cure, okay fine, fer sure, fer sure..."
- Frank Zappa
"Having a studio is a little like having a fancy car. It doesn’t help you take better pictures." - Annie Leibovitz in "Annie Leibovitz at Work"
to check out my photo blog go to fotonomous.blogspot.com
My Flickr photostream:
I started the Flickr Group Polaroid Cars.
I started the Flickr Group Pola Dogs.
My Favorite Photo Books:
Andre Kertesz "The Polaroids"
Viggo Mortensen "Recent Forgeries"
Mitch Epstein "Work"
Stephen Shore "Uncommon Places"
Adam Bartos "Boulevard"
John Divola "Isolated Houses"
My Mom (Beverly Burton Marcus)
My Aunt (Lisa Marcus Schiller)
A list of all of my Polaroid Cameras:
(Time Zero Film)
- SX-70 Alpha (brownish/orange leather with white body - hand me down from my Uncle)
- SX-70 Sonar (Black leather/Silver body)
- One Step (SX-70 version) - White with Polaroid rainbow stripe - first integral film camera my family bought. Shot with this in late elementary school and early junior high years.
- Sun 600 LMS
- One Step Auto Focus (Purple - rounder clamshell design mid-late 90's)
- One Step (generic black - early 2000)
- One (latest style, Silver)
- SLR 680 SE - the camera i pick up when i use 600/779 film. simply awesome.
- Impulse SE (black body) - one of the best 600 cameras
(Spectra / Image Film)
- Spectra 1200si
- Spectra ProCam
- Spectra Onyx
- Spectra 1200FF
- Minolta Instant Pro (same body as Spectra)
(Captiva / Joycam / 500 Film)
- Captiva SLR
- Joycam (Black, Silver Metallic, Light Blue Metallic)
- iZone (light Green translucent)
(mio / Fuji Instax Mini Film)
(3 1/4 x4 1/4 PEEL APART PACK FILM)
- 110 B Pathfinder (converted to 3.25x4.25)
- Big Shot
- Super Shooter Plus - first Polaroid camera my family owned. I grew up using this as a kid.
- 203 MiniPortrait
- 402 MiniPortrait
- 403 MiniPortrait (it doesn't work)
- 4 image passport photo / miniportrait (non Polaroid brand)
- Daylab Copysystem Pro
Nikon D40 - (digital SLR i grab the most - it's so lightweight and fun to use)
Nikon Coolpix S2 (put into semi-retirement now that I've upgraded to a Sony T100)
Sony Cybershot DSC-T100
Contax 137MD / Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.7
Leica Mini Zoom
Rolleicord Va (inherited from my Uncle)
Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Nikon FG (hand me down from my Uncle)
Canon AE-1 Program (my first 35mm SLR)
Canon AF35M (my first 35mm camera)
Nikonos V (35mm / f/2.5)
Polaroidesque Cameras / Films:
Fuji Instax 200 (Fuji Instax Wide Film)
Fuji Instax Mini Film (shot with Polaroid mio)
Canon Selphy CP510
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AF-D
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 (Sold)
Nikon 18-200 VR
Nikon 24mm f2.8
Nikon 105 f2.8 Micro
Create your own visitor map!
visited 25 states (50%)Create your own visited map of The United States or determine the next president
- Nikon Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX 95,618 photos, 8,437 members
- Pride Rainbows 3,257 photos, 426 members
- Nikon Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G Micro AF-S DX 14,682 photos, 1,137 members
- Nikon Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro 11,421 photos, 704 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 53,540 photos, 5,202 members
- Parkology 5,944 photos, 227 members
- Muffler Men and other Roadside Statues, also cool signs. 8,169 photos, 394 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,682,000 photos, 83,751 members
- Professional Pet Photography 10,494 photos, 1,061 members
- Pawsome phoDOGraphy 85,712 photos, 4,139 members
- Nikon Prime Lens Club 40,788 photos, 1,868 members
- Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G vs Sigma 30mm f/1.4 5,785 photos, 552 members
- Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.4G 5,275 photos, 1,034 members
- Jeep Dogs 1,543 photos, 65 members
- Nikon 85mm Users Group 19,250 photos, 2,561 members
- GAY DAY 8,830 photos, 814 members
- Gay Pride 67,546 photos, 3,089 members
- Nikon D5100 443,276 photos, 12,982 members
- Collie Crosses 2,139 photos, 287 members
- *Black*Lab*Love* 1,575 photos, 208 members
- Bordadors 563 photos, 57 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 698,172 photos, 27,589 members
- IMPOSSIBLE Stickers & Bags in the Wild 32 photos, 57 members
- Polaroid "WildSide" film 89 photos, 16 members
- Cuban Cars / Carros Cubanos 8,786 photos, 974 members
- Faces in Places 26,243 photos, 7,250 members
- Passportrait 457 photos, 171 members
- BMW - ART CAR 162 photos, 33 members
- Buick Lesabre (1959-2005 350 photos, 36 members
- Tilley Hat Adventures 494 photos, 99 members
- INTERESTING CAR PHOTOS 42,236 photos, 1,007 members
- European cars of North America 12,153 photos, 247 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,260 photos, 1,608 members
- Route 66 42,866 photos, 3,031 members
- PX / PZ / 8x10 / PQ Silver Shade Film by The Impossible Project 19,488 photos, 2,494 members
- Foster Farm Fakes Fotos 5 photos, 5 members
- Polaroid Signs 1,382 photos, 101 members
- Polaroid Motion 60 photos, 15 members
- RescueMe: Animal Shelter Relief - increasing shelter awareness 3,290 photos, 305 members
- El Camino 1,466 photos, 235 members
- Polaroid ; Fade to Black. 1,417 photos, 319 members
- Professional Car Photography 14,791 photos, 914 members
- Polaroid Film 19,604 photos, 991 members
- Discover Los Angeles 50,816 photos, 2,842 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 997,794 photos, 127,136 members
- Ferrari Passion 39,530 photos, 1,263 members
- Odd, unusual, weird, wacky, or custom cars 20,931 photos, 924 members
- Sign City 228,772 photos, 11,634 members
- I Love LA 63,882 photos, 1,654 members
- Black Labs 23,155 photos, 7,777 members
fotonomous doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2007
- Los Angeles CA
- I am:
- Female and Single
- writer / photographer / filmmaker