Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 7,766 photos, 1,459 members
- Old & Aged 27,902 photos, 1,144 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 6,657 photos, 596 members
- First World War 4,891 photos, 215 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,988 photos, 405 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,588 photos, 706 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 15,970 photos, 162 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 1,031,979 photos, 22,375 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,904 photos, 208 members
- Capybara 5,002 photos, 185 members
- Calmac Present and Past 2,754 photos, 91 members
- Ferries Across Australia 3,136 photos, 166 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 8,359 photos, 330 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,011 photos, 5,969 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 274,415 photos, 778 members
- Show off Your Argentina 46,171 photos, 2,465 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 56,737 photos, 747 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,415 photos, 185 members
- Buenos Aires City 58,235 photos, 5,710 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,768 photos, 2,957 members
- Argentina 198,635 photos, 9,186 members
- Old New Zealand 360 photos, 63 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 355,401 photos, 4,815 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 16,482 photos, 1,466 members
- Black and White Liverpool 8,105 photos, 460 members
- The photographers world network 17,327 photos, 234 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,441 photos, 899 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 10,783 photos, 689 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 14,357 photos, 197 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 179 photos, 29 members
- Views 20000 2,462 photos, 507 members
- 20000 VIEWS 4,245 photos, 925 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 36,845 photos, 5,500 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 408,081 photos, 105,330 members
- This is Derbyshire 54,518 photos, 1,383 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 104,551 photos, 2,306 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,363 photos, 1,927 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 107,796 photos, 2,005 members
- Ephemera 50,289 photos, 1,721 members
- 1960s 18,774 photos, 1,470 members
- 1960's 21,743 photos, 1,136 members
- 1950's 11,284 photos, 515 members
- 1970's 21,506 photos, 1,246 members
- Still Britain 23,545 photos, 207 members
- Canadian History 13,038 photos, 511 members
- RCAF 7,759 photos, 296 members
- Auckland Airport 1,071 photos, 62 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 95,156 photos, 4,189 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,592 photos, 824 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,976 photos, 1,100 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist