Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,638 photos, 1,262 members
- Old & Aged 18,525 photos, 866 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 5,132 photos, 456 members
- First World War 3,948 photos, 153 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,778 photos, 378 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,878 photos, 715 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,117 photos, 170 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 647,034 photos, 15,147 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,285 photos, 170 members
- Capybara 4,969 photos, 177 members
- CMASSETS 1,077 photos, 21 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,258 photos, 124 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,028 photos, 316 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,831 photos, 5,412 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 169,515 photos, 634 members
- Show off Your Argentina 41,331 photos, 2,368 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 35,463 photos, 548 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,070 photos, 171 members
- Buenos Aires City 51,692 photos, 5,387 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,568 photos, 2,869 members
- Argentina 169,346 photos, 8,412 members
- Old New Zealand 284 photos, 49 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 285,330 photos, 4,616 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,059 photos, 1,484 members
- Black and White Liverpool 6,899 photos, 399 members
- The photographers world network 11,509 photos, 223 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,617 photos, 658 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 2,022 photos, 272 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 9,527 photos, 164 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 550 photos, 263 members
- 20000 VIEWS 2,153 photos, 701 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 32,222 photos, 5,567 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 417,739 photos, 106,062 members
- This is Derbyshire 41,638 photos, 1,178 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 93,172 photos, 2,322 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,709 photos, 1,934 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 75,342 photos, 1,531 members
- Ephemera 46,726 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 14,514 photos, 1,267 members
- 1960's 17,800 photos, 1,010 members
- 1950's 8,372 photos, 465 members
- 1970's 18,433 photos, 1,124 members
- Still Britain 11,124 photos, 154 members
- Canadian History 10,132 photos, 469 members
- RCAF 6,921 photos, 266 members
- Auckland Airport 567 photos, 36 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 60,882 photos, 3,688 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,663 photos, 830 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,002 photos, 1,111 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist