Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,587 photos, 1,252 members
- Old & Aged 18,187 photos, 856 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 5,048 photos, 449 members
- First World War 3,899 photos, 150 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,766 photos, 378 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,863 photos, 717 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,119 photos, 170 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 633,978 photos, 14,826 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,260 photos, 167 members
- Capybara 4,956 photos, 175 members
- CMASSETS 1,068 photos, 21 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,219 photos, 123 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,083 photos, 315 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,424 photos, 5,291 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 165,382 photos, 622 members
- Show off Your Argentina 41,356 photos, 2,358 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 34,993 photos, 543 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,066 photos, 170 members
- Buenos Aires City 51,469 photos, 5,377 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,484 photos, 2,849 members
- Argentina 168,020 photos, 8,354 members
- Old New Zealand 279 photos, 48 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 282,412 photos, 4,610 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,005 photos, 1,485 members
- Black and White Liverpool 6,844 photos, 399 members
- The photographers world network 10,757 photos, 223 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,623 photos, 651 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 1,860 photos, 255 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 9,356 photos, 161 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 496 photos, 253 members
- 20000 VIEWS 1,845 photos, 691 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 31,847 photos, 5,570 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 418,237 photos, 106,116 members
- This is Derbyshire 41,155 photos, 1,174 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 92,929 photos, 2,324 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,701 photos, 1,938 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 73,840 photos, 1,501 members
- Ephemera 46,594 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 14,350 photos, 1,259 members
- 1960's 17,673 photos, 999 members
- 1950's 8,215 photos, 463 members
- 1970's 18,335 photos, 1,117 members
- Still Britain 11,042 photos, 153 members
- Canadian History 9,995 photos, 468 members
- RCAF 6,835 photos, 263 members
- Auckland Airport 552 photos, 37 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 59,719 photos, 3,620 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,674 photos, 831 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,005 photos, 1,112 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist