Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,197 photos, 1,165 members
- Old & Aged 14,294 photos, 675 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 3,753 photos, 365 members
- First World War 3,130 photos, 109 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,403 photos, 365 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,554 photos, 736 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,349 photos, 176 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 484,056 photos, 11,347 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,112 photos, 151 members
- Capybara 4,945 photos, 166 members
- CMASSETS 871 photos, 19 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,898 photos, 105 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 6,314 photos, 305 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,448 photos, 5,018 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 117,917 photos, 526 members
- Show off Your Argentina 37,402 photos, 2,280 members
- Aviation Wreck & Relics 26,795 photos, 440 members
- Misiones Argentina 1,884 photos, 160 members
- Buenos Aires City 47,014 photos, 5,140 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,078 photos, 2,693 members
- Argentina 147,775 photos, 7,522 members
- Old New Zealand 264 photos, 39 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 248,193 photos, 4,477 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 14,298 photos, 1,515 members
- Black and White Liverpool 5,465 photos, 345 members
- The photographers world network 5,581 photos, 212 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,801 photos, 534 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 498 photos, 138 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 7,139 photos, 139 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 175 photos, 18 members
- Views 20000 198 photos, 161 members
- 20000 VIEWS 617 photos, 566 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 29,093 photos, 5,618 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 427,628 photos, 103,469 members
- This is Derbyshire 32,124 photos, 1,033 members
- Nikon DSLR Users -- The Bistro 78,969 photos, 2,155 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,083 photos, 1,931 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 55,066 photos, 1,128 members
- Ephemera 45,492 photos, 1,666 members
- 1960s 12,845 photos, 1,165 members
- 1960's 15,842 photos, 943 members
- 1950's 6,614 photos, 440 members
- 1970's 16,772 photos, 1,049 members
- Still Britain 8,379 photos, 142 members
- Canadian History 8,628 photos, 423 members
- RCAF 5,861 photos, 230 members
- Auckland Airport 439 photos, 25 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 40,892 photos, 2,881 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,801 photos, 844 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,170 photos, 1,120 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
22nd November, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
23rd July, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist