Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 7,155 photos, 1,360 members
- Old & Aged 22,056 photos, 984 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 5,964 photos, 524 members
- First World War 4,413 photos, 185 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,954 photos, 389 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,233 photos, 709 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,040 photos, 167 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 793,020 photos, 18,365 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,416 photos, 188 members
- Capybara 4,997 photos, 184 members
- Caledonian MacBrayne 'Then & Now' 1,996 photos, 71 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,601 photos, 145 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,410 photos, 328 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,145 photos, 5,826 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 216,480 photos, 707 members
- Show off Your Argentina 43,692 photos, 2,417 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 40,189 photos, 631 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,141 photos, 178 members
- Buenos Aires City 54,936 photos, 5,539 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,627 photos, 2,879 members
- Argentina 182,774 photos, 8,862 members
- Old New Zealand 324 photos, 53 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 313,304 photos, 4,692 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,409 photos, 1,476 members
- Black and White Liverpool 7,358 photos, 425 members
- The photographers world network 16,715 photos, 229 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,441 photos, 733 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 4,002 photos, 417 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 11,328 photos, 185 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 27 members
- Views 20000 1,644 photos, 373 members
- 20000 VIEWS 3,050 photos, 791 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 34,652 photos, 5,535 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 412,873 photos, 105,858 members
- This is Derbyshire 47,081 photos, 1,287 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 98,248 photos, 2,313 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,126 photos, 1,928 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 90,355 photos, 1,757 members
- Ephemera 47,358 photos, 1,731 members
- 1960s 16,447 photos, 1,368 members
- 1960's 19,676 photos, 1,072 members
- 1950's 9,504 photos, 488 members
- 1970's 19,549 photos, 1,166 members
- Still Britain 15,257 photos, 172 members
- Canadian History 11,769 photos, 482 members
- RCAF 7,307 photos, 272 members
- Auckland Airport 617 photos, 43 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 75,874 photos, 4,013 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,652 photos, 828 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,969 photos, 1,108 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist