Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,542 photos, 1,236 members
- Old & Aged 17,687 photos, 847 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 4,937 photos, 441 members
- First World War 3,852 photos, 146 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,752 photos, 378 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,932 photos, 720 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,120 photos, 171 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 620,110 photos, 14,502 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,256 photos, 166 members
- Capybara 4,956 photos, 175 members
- CMASSETS 1,030 photos, 20 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,191 photos, 122 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,024 photos, 312 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,030 photos, 5,229 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 159,702 photos, 611 members
- Show off Your Argentina 40,951 photos, 2,349 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 34,206 photos, 541 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,059 photos, 168 members
- Buenos Aires City 51,125 photos, 5,359 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,442 photos, 2,838 members
- Argentina 165,876 photos, 8,295 members
- Old New Zealand 279 photos, 47 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 284,016 photos, 4,598 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,104 photos, 1,488 members
- Black and White Liverpool 6,781 photos, 399 members
- The photographers world network 10,251 photos, 222 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,664 photos, 637 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 1,659 photos, 239 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 9,117 photos, 160 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 472 photos, 249 members
- 20000 VIEWS 1,505 photos, 680 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 31,558 photos, 5,569 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 418,907 photos, 106,123 members
- This is Derbyshire 40,345 photos, 1,168 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 92,066 photos, 2,320 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,645 photos, 1,938 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 72,581 photos, 1,474 members
- Ephemera 46,527 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 14,171 photos, 1,252 members
- 1960's 17,579 photos, 994 members
- 1950's 8,036 photos, 456 members
- 1970's 18,220 photos, 1,114 members
- Still Britain 10,767 photos, 152 members
- Canadian History 9,872 photos, 466 members
- RCAF 6,763 photos, 257 members
- Auckland Airport 549 photos, 37 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 58,267 photos, 3,544 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,691 photos, 831 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,024 photos, 1,112 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist