Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 7,401 photos, 1,403 members
- Old & Aged 24,474 photos, 1,060 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 6,273 photos, 557 members
- First World War 4,838 photos, 194 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 5,068 photos, 402 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,395 photos, 708 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 15,995 photos, 167 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 899,791 photos, 19,991 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,591 photos, 199 members
- Capybara 4,997 photos, 184 members
- Calmac Present and Past 2,440 photos, 78 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,844 photos, 149 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,794 photos, 327 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,099 photos, 5,843 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 240,617 photos, 734 members
- Show off Your Argentina 45,024 photos, 2,449 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 46,293 photos, 686 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,370 photos, 181 members
- Buenos Aires City 56,864 photos, 5,636 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,797 photos, 2,877 members
- Argentina 190,475 photos, 9,016 members
- Old New Zealand 343 photos, 56 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 332,540 photos, 4,742 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,746 photos, 1,469 members
- Black and White Liverpool 7,836 photos, 443 members
- The photographers world network 16,331 photos, 230 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,438 photos, 817 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 6,570 photos, 544 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 12,850 photos, 190 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 179 photos, 28 members
- Views 20000 1,808 photos, 438 members
- 20000 VIEWS 3,217 photos, 852 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 35,612 photos, 5,526 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 410,891 photos, 105,727 members
- This is Derbyshire 50,716 photos, 1,331 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 101,112 photos, 2,311 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,340 photos, 1,931 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 99,052 photos, 1,879 members
- Ephemera 48,419 photos, 1,730 members
- 1960s 17,701 photos, 1,414 members
- 1960's 20,786 photos, 1,104 members
- 1950's 10,308 photos, 505 members
- 1970's 20,514 photos, 1,210 members
- Still Britain 18,362 photos, 187 members
- Canadian History 12,014 photos, 492 members
- RCAF 7,538 photos, 285 members
- Auckland Airport 728 photos, 51 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 85,581 photos, 4,113 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,609 photos, 827 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,956 photos, 1,107 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist