Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,703 photos, 1,275 members
- Old & Aged 19,139 photos, 889 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 5,252 photos, 469 members
- First World War 3,981 photos, 157 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,809 photos, 378 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,936 photos, 716 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,115 photos, 169 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 669,929 photos, 15,682 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,315 photos, 172 members
- Capybara 4,976 photos, 179 members
- CMASSETS 1,109 photos, 23 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,300 photos, 126 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,010 photos, 317 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,318 photos, 5,576 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 177,151 photos, 650 members
- Show off Your Argentina 41,871 photos, 2,387 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 36,683 photos, 560 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,029 photos, 172 members
- Buenos Aires City 52,248 photos, 5,414 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,668 photos, 2,890 members
- Argentina 171,749 photos, 8,510 members
- Old New Zealand 284 photos, 49 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 289,412 photos, 4,627 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,175 photos, 1,485 members
- Black and White Liverpool 7,030 photos, 401 members
- The photographers world network 12,236 photos, 224 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,445 photos, 669 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 2,315 photos, 300 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 10,057 photos, 173 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 658 photos, 272 members
- 20000 VIEWS 2,106 photos, 710 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 32,792 photos, 5,565 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 416,982 photos, 106,035 members
- This is Derbyshire 42,620 photos, 1,199 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 94,276 photos, 2,320 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,757 photos, 1,928 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 77,886 photos, 1,570 members
- Ephemera 46,856 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 14,831 photos, 1,287 members
- 1960's 18,249 photos, 1,021 members
- 1950's 8,504 photos, 467 members
- 1970's 18,587 photos, 1,135 members
- Still Britain 11,540 photos, 154 members
- Canadian History 10,499 photos, 473 members
- RCAF 7,010 photos, 266 members
- Auckland Airport 569 photos, 41 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 62,742 photos, 3,779 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,660 photos, 832 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,998 photos, 1,111 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist