Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,568 photos, 1,243 members
- Old & Aged 18,025 photos, 854 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 4,993 photos, 444 members
- First World War 3,878 photos, 149 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,761 photos, 378 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,848 photos, 718 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,119 photos, 170 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 629,256 photos, 14,727 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,254 photos, 166 members
- Capybara 4,956 photos, 175 members
- CMASSETS 1,064 photos, 21 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,214 photos, 123 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,066 photos, 314 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,388 photos, 5,276 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 163,489 photos, 618 members
- Show off Your Argentina 41,266 photos, 2,355 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 34,757 photos, 543 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,066 photos, 169 members
- Buenos Aires City 51,326 photos, 5,372 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,490 photos, 2,844 members
- Argentina 167,402 photos, 8,343 members
- Old New Zealand 279 photos, 48 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 281,518 photos, 4,608 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 14,979 photos, 1,487 members
- Black and White Liverpool 6,867 photos, 400 members
- The photographers world network 10,500 photos, 223 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,626 photos, 647 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 1,801 photos, 251 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 9,321 photos, 161 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 494 photos, 253 members
- 20000 VIEWS 1,760 photos, 690 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 31,707 photos, 5,571 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 418,495 photos, 106,114 members
- This is Derbyshire 40,896 photos, 1,175 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 92,702 photos, 2,326 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,690 photos, 1,938 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 73,794 photos, 1,491 members
- Ephemera 46,575 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 14,320 photos, 1,258 members
- 1960's 17,651 photos, 999 members
- 1950's 8,158 photos, 462 members
- 1970's 18,294 photos, 1,115 members
- Still Britain 10,950 photos, 152 members
- Canadian History 9,966 photos, 466 members
- RCAF 6,828 photos, 262 members
- Auckland Airport 550 photos, 37 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 59,397 photos, 3,602 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,688 photos, 831 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,019 photos, 1,112 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist