Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,749 photos, 1,281 members
- Old & Aged 19,448 photos, 902 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 5,367 photos, 481 members
- First World War 4,098 photos, 161 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,839 photos, 380 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,953 photos, 715 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,113 photos, 169 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 681,867 photos, 15,977 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,341 photos, 173 members
- Capybara 4,982 photos, 181 members
- CMASSETS 1,146 photos, 27 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,385 photos, 135 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,043 photos, 318 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,351 photos, 5,613 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 181,436 photos, 659 members
- Show off Your Argentina 42,121 photos, 2,389 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 37,295 photos, 563 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,036 photos, 173 members
- Buenos Aires City 52,494 photos, 5,425 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,660 photos, 2,903 members
- Argentina 173,135 photos, 8,558 members
- Old New Zealand 289 photos, 49 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 291,498 photos, 4,624 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,221 photos, 1,485 members
- Black and White Liverpool 7,107 photos, 402 members
- The photographers world network 12,831 photos, 226 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,445 photos, 677 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 2,475 photos, 314 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 10,235 photos, 175 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 792 photos, 282 members
- 20000 VIEWS 2,201 photos, 724 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 33,076 photos, 5,564 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 416,721 photos, 106,023 members
- This is Derbyshire 43,066 photos, 1,210 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 94,855 photos, 2,323 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,813 photos, 1,930 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 79,061 photos, 1,584 members
- Ephemera 46,947 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 14,966 photos, 1,296 members
- 1960's 18,391 photos, 1,030 members
- 1950's 8,591 photos, 469 members
- 1970's 18,712 photos, 1,139 members
- Still Britain 11,859 photos, 156 members
- Canadian History 10,743 photos, 472 members
- RCAF 7,029 photos, 267 members
- Auckland Airport 570 photos, 42 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 63,527 photos, 3,814 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,661 photos, 832 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,996 photos, 1,110 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist