Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 7,030 photos, 1,342 members
- Old & Aged 21,056 photos, 960 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 5,798 photos, 505 members
- First World War 4,307 photos, 176 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,912 photos, 384 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,128 photos, 710 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,063 photos, 168 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 753,869 photos, 17,495 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,417 photos, 185 members
- Capybara 4,995 photos, 184 members
- Calmac 'Then & Now' 1,725 photos, 51 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,515 photos, 140 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,260 photos, 323 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,234 photos, 5,762 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 205,066 photos, 691 members
- Show off Your Argentina 43,171 photos, 2,407 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 38,501 photos, 615 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,033 photos, 176 members
- Buenos Aires City 54,228 photos, 5,486 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,693 photos, 2,888 members
- Argentina 179,109 photos, 8,779 members
- Old New Zealand 296 photos, 50 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 304,882 photos, 4,676 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,298 photos, 1,477 members
- Black and White Liverpool 7,206 photos, 415 members
- The photographers world network 15,915 photos, 230 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,442 photos, 712 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 3,367 photos, 369 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 10,939 photos, 182 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 27 members
- Views 20000 1,250 photos, 347 members
- 20000 VIEWS 2,703 photos, 767 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 34,398 photos, 5,542 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 414,036 photos, 105,928 members
- This is Derbyshire 45,790 photos, 1,250 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 97,157 photos, 2,316 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,042 photos, 1,931 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 86,067 photos, 1,687 members
- Ephemera 47,467 photos, 1,733 members
- 1960s 15,903 photos, 1,337 members
- 1960's 19,254 photos, 1,060 members
- 1950's 9,190 photos, 480 members
- 1970's 19,133 photos, 1,153 members
- Still Britain 13,832 photos, 162 members
- Canadian History 11,483 photos, 478 members
- RCAF 7,223 photos, 269 members
- Auckland Airport 583 photos, 42 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 71,590 photos, 3,948 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,660 photos, 829 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,982 photos, 1,110 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist