Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,196 photos, 1,166 members
- Old & Aged 14,342 photos, 677 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 3,766 photos, 366 members
- First World War 3,131 photos, 108 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,405 photos, 365 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 7,563 photos, 736 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,349 photos, 176 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 485,216 photos, 11,383 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,112 photos, 151 members
- Capybara 4,945 photos, 166 members
- CMASSETS 871 photos, 19 members
- Ferries Across Australia 1,901 photos, 105 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 6,327 photos, 304 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,432 photos, 5,016 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 118,452 photos, 528 members
- Show off Your Argentina 37,469 photos, 2,281 members
- Aviation Wreck & Relics 26,917 photos, 441 members
- Misiones Argentina 1,888 photos, 160 members
- Buenos Aires City 46,984 photos, 5,142 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,039 photos, 2,694 members
- Argentina 147,870 photos, 7,530 members
- Old New Zealand 264 photos, 39 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 248,623 photos, 4,480 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 14,313 photos, 1,514 members
- Black and White Liverpool 5,476 photos, 345 members
- The photographers world network 5,580 photos, 212 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,799 photos, 536 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 509 photos, 141 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 7,164 photos, 139 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 175 photos, 18 members
- Views 20000 199 photos, 162 members
- 20000 VIEWS 622 photos, 566 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 29,113 photos, 5,617 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 427,412 photos, 103,586 members
- This is Derbyshire 32,233 photos, 1,037 members
- Nikon DSLR Users -- The Bistro 79,056 photos, 2,154 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,086 photos, 1,930 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 55,292 photos, 1,131 members
- Ephemera 45,520 photos, 1,666 members
- 1960s 12,519 photos, 1,168 members
- 1960's 15,521 photos, 944 members
- 1950's 6,643 photos, 441 members
- 1970's 16,545 photos, 1,050 members
- Still Britain 8,412 photos, 142 members
- Canadian History 8,646 photos, 424 members
- RCAF 5,865 photos, 232 members
- Auckland Airport 439 photos, 26 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 41,118 photos, 2,892 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,801 photos, 844 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,170 photos, 1,120 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
22nd November, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
23rd July, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist