Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,826 photos, 1,301 members
- Old & Aged 20,036 photos, 920 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 5,503 photos, 487 members
- First World War 4,235 photos, 170 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,863 photos, 381 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,008 photos, 714 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,112 photos, 169 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 701,793 photos, 16,410 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,355 photos, 178 members
- Capybara 4,985 photos, 183 members
- Calmac 'Then & Now' 1,352 photos, 41 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,455 photos, 139 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,113 photos, 320 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,298 photos, 5,658 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 187,611 photos, 672 members
- Show off Your Argentina 42,410 photos, 2,389 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 37,525 photos, 574 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,049 photos, 174 members
- Buenos Aires City 53,057 photos, 5,447 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,699 photos, 2,900 members
- Argentina 174,520 photos, 8,633 members
- Old New Zealand 296 photos, 49 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 295,436 photos, 4,649 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,280 photos, 1,483 members
- Black and White Liverpool 7,099 photos, 409 members
- The photographers world network 14,097 photos, 227 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,443 photos, 687 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 2,710 photos, 333 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 10,493 photos, 178 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 960 photos, 297 members
- 20000 VIEWS 2,347 photos, 729 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 33,424 photos, 5,556 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 415,554 photos, 105,975 members
- This is Derbyshire 43,725 photos, 1,220 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 95,729 photos, 2,320 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,847 photos, 1,927 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 81,843 photos, 1,616 members
- Ephemera 47,027 photos, 1,654 members
- 1960s 15,266 photos, 1,317 members
- 1960's 18,688 photos, 1,045 members
- 1950's 8,733 photos, 474 members
- 1970's 18,694 photos, 1,144 members
- Still Britain 12,528 photos, 158 members
- Canadian History 11,010 photos, 474 members
- RCAF 7,115 photos, 268 members
- Auckland Airport 571 photos, 42 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 65,613 photos, 3,858 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,660 photos, 832 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,994 photos, 1,110 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist