Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 7,447 photos, 1,409 members
- Old & Aged 24,912 photos, 1,074 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 6,352 photos, 563 members
- First World War 4,885 photos, 195 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 5,078 photos, 403 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,427 photos, 707 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 15,990 photos, 166 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 917,520 photos, 20,274 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,624 photos, 201 members
- Capybara 4,997 photos, 184 members
- Calmac Present and Past 2,515 photos, 83 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,873 photos, 151 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 7,907 photos, 327 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,079 photos, 5,837 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 245,366 photos, 743 members
- Show off Your Argentina 45,558 photos, 2,449 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 46,896 photos, 696 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,382 photos, 181 members
- Buenos Aires City 57,103 photos, 5,647 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,767 photos, 2,867 members
- Argentina 191,644 photos, 9,032 members
- Old New Zealand 344 photos, 57 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 335,146 photos, 4,745 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,795 photos, 1,470 members
- Black and White Liverpool 7,920 photos, 445 members
- The photographers world network 16,772 photos, 231 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,436 photos, 827 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 7,038 photos, 555 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 13,235 photos, 192 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 179 photos, 28 members
- Views 20000 1,896 photos, 447 members
- 20000 VIEWS 3,359 photos, 864 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 35,796 photos, 5,523 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 410,364 photos, 105,692 members
- This is Derbyshire 51,261 photos, 1,335 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 101,529 photos, 2,309 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,385 photos, 1,930 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 100,405 photos, 1,897 members
- Ephemera 48,557 photos, 1,730 members
- 1960s 17,863 photos, 1,422 members
- 1960's 20,925 photos, 1,107 members
- 1950's 10,433 photos, 500 members
- 1970's 20,666 photos, 1,215 members
- Still Britain 18,778 photos, 189 members
- Canadian History 12,238 photos, 496 members
- RCAF 7,590 photos, 285 members
- Auckland Airport 755 photos, 50 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 86,802 photos, 4,120 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,603 photos, 827 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,955 photos, 1,106 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist