Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 6,510 photos, 1,233 members
- Old & Aged 17,221 photos, 833 members
- Airlines: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 4,809 photos, 432 members
- First World War 3,417 photos, 143 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 4,742 photos, 378 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,028 photos, 720 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 16,128 photos, 171 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 607,178 photos, 14,225 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 2,233 photos, 165 members
- Capybara 4,956 photos, 174 members
- CMASSETS 1,017 photos, 20 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,143 photos, 121 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 6,959 photos, 311 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 20,987 photos, 5,206 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 155,843 photos, 605 members
- Show off Your Argentina 40,603 photos, 2,342 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 33,255 photos, 534 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,032 photos, 167 members
- Buenos Aires City 50,813 photos, 5,342 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,411 photos, 2,814 members
- Argentina 164,197 photos, 8,245 members
- Old New Zealand 275 photos, 47 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 280,482 photos, 4,588 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 15,030 photos, 1,489 members
- Black and White Liverpool 6,707 photos, 395 members
- The photographers world network 9,737 photos, 221 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,664 photos, 628 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 1,507 photos, 228 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 8,853 photos, 157 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 178 photos, 26 members
- Views 20000 404 photos, 240 members
- 20000 VIEWS 1,239 photos, 660 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 31,510 photos, 5,570 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 419,438 photos, 106,093 members
- This is Derbyshire 39,653 photos, 1,155 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 91,245 photos, 2,318 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 16,601 photos, 1,934 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 71,065 photos, 1,437 members
- Ephemera 46,457 photos, 1,657 members
- 1960s 13,919 photos, 1,244 members
- 1960's 17,428 photos, 994 members
- 1950's 7,931 photos, 454 members
- 1970's 18,096 photos, 1,111 members
- Still Britain 10,619 photos, 151 members
- Canadian History 9,727 photos, 461 members
- RCAF 6,713 photos, 256 members
- Auckland Airport 539 photos, 34 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 56,989 photos, 3,478 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,690 photos, 831 members
- Pretty Pictures. 4,030 photos, 1,112 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist