Photo © Mark Velasquez
I am now leading classes, tours and workshops both in the Seattle area and abroad. Learn more about my workshops and tours.
Purchase prints and make licensing requests on my web site: www.maxwaugh.com. Please note that I support my lifestyle and photography partially through my images. This means that yes, I charge a licensing fee for commercial usage (sorry, Discovery Channel :P). Please contact me via my web site so we can work together on a quote for you.
Yellowstone visitors: be sure to visit the Stop the Car Trading Post in Silver Gate (outside the NE entrance) where you can buy select prints of my photos at reduced prices.
I'm a photographer and designer based in Seattle. Most of my personal photography involves nature and travel.
I don't really get philosophical about my work, but I will say that I look at Flickr and my own web site as a window to the world. This is not a portfolio per se, so that means that I'll occasionally post stuff that may be considered mediocre-at-best (or crap). I enjoy giving people a view of what's out there, and am fortunate that my collection has been able to sustain a daily Flickr post until now. So occasionally you'll get a look at a different species or locale that you may never see or visit in your life, but even if the photo isn't spectacular, I'm happy to have at least provided a glimpse of that part of the world for you. :)
You can also now follow Max Waugh Photography on Facebook and Instagram and stay up-to-date on the latest photo events, trip reports from Yellowstone and coupon codes for my store.
My images are available for sale as prints or for business licensing purposes via my web site: www.maxwaugh.com.
Please contact me via my web site. I prefer direct email to having to log on and use Flickr Mail. At this time, I am accepting assignments.
Folks sometimes post their favorite shots here on their profile page. I thought I'd share some of the most exciting moments I've had photographing wildlife in recent years. Naturally, these shots are some of my favorites as much for the memories they bring as any technical or artistic "quality" they possess.
Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken. It was my first real close wolf encounter in Yellowstone, and occurred while 200 other people were looking the opposite direction. A brief, private moment that will stay with me forever.
Wild Mountain Lion
Probably the least likely photo opportunity that has actually paid off for me. Unlike photographing cats in Africa, where one can tromp all over an open plain in search of photo ops, finding a wild mountain lion to photograph this close is nearly impossible. Usually inhabiting tough, rocky and heavily forested terrain, photo ops don't come around too often. In this case, I set aside two days to sit in a tree stand in Utah, in hopes that this cat would show up to drink at a spring. I figured two days wasn't nearly enough time and my hopes were slim, but near the end of the first day, I was rewarded.
During my 2010 trip to South Africa we stopped at Mala Mala Game Reserve for a few days. Leopards were our main goal, and we were incredibly lucky to arrive soon after the guides had discovered a new cub. Of course, there was no guarantee that we'd actually see the cub, especially if the mother wasn't around. At sunrise on the first morning drive we arrived to find mother and cub resting and playing out in the sunlight. There was a lot of grass to obscure our view at times, but every so often the little tyke was cooperative enough to venture into the open. It was estimated at five weeks old, so young that it was still sporting blue eyes. What a rare and memorable encounter!
Photos of Max Waugh Photography (4)
- Alaska! 86,646 photos, 4,290 members
- Ireland Black & White 4,510 photos, 313 members
- Treasure of Ireland 35,884 photos, 1,293 members
- ...finding ireland... 102,425 photos, 3,308 members
- IRELAND TODAY 90,534 photos, 1,925 members
- Ireland 289,721 photos, 11,501 members
- Deer in the wild 2,979 photos, 1,111 members
- Jaguars 20,038 photos, 2,187 members
- Brasil/Brazil 409,254 photos, 13,319 members
- US Wildlife 36,771 photos, 609 members
- Unlimited Birds 447,734 photos, 5,115 members
- Beautiful British Columbia 158,693 photos, 5,145 members
- British Columbia Wildlife 9,463 photos, 486 members
- BORN to be WILD 27,597 photos, 2,781 members
- Australian National Parks - No Invite required 32,333 photos, 1,166 members
- ^ Wildlife of Australia ^ 44,085 photos, 1,925 members
- Nature and Animals (Wild Only) 542,792 photos, 19,933 members
- Owls (Wild Only) 29,220 photos, 2,280 members
- India Images 469,001 photos, 19,502 members
- National Parks Traveler 22,873 photos, 1,024 members
- The Fox 6,664 photos, 824 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 14,756 photos, 1,143 members
- Borneo - The Land Below The Wind 15,022 photos, 966 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 46,985 photos, 2,812 members
- Birds of Peru (Aves del Perú) 6,835 photos, 225 members
- Hong Kong 香港 362,790 photos, 15,834 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 196,920 photos, 26,614 members
- Peru 58,088 photos, 3,229 members
- Pacific Northwest 441,605 photos, 9,913 members
- University of Washington Athletics 330 photos, 151 members
- Favorites: 500 4,916 photos, 862 members
- Favorites: 300 16,479 photos, 1,753 members
- South Africa 140,064 photos, 5,280 members
- Rutas de América del Sur - Roads of South America 6,597 photos, 2,228 members
- ***PATAGONIA*** 46,332 photos, 2,866 members
- Field Guide: Patagonia Wild Fauna // Guia de Campo: Patagonia 1,287 photos, 127 members
- Canadian Animals and Wildlife 63,424 photos, 1,003 members
- BEARS of the WORLD 27,559 photos, 2,883 members
- Gadling 32,986 photos, 1,660 members
- Whales 12,472 photos, 2,666 members
- Animals hunting-animales cazando 269 photos, 73 members
- Cheetah, mother nature's masterpiece! 4,626 photos, 912 members
- Common dolphin (Delphinus sp.) 542 photos, 138 members
- The Oracle of Great Photography/500 Faves 475 photos, 127 members
- Russia 183,699 photos, 5,816 members
- Wild Cat World 14,369 photos, 1,245 members
- Tropical Rainforest 7,231 photos, 559 members
- Costa Rican Birds 7,733 photos, 353 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 34,156 photos, 1,356 members
- Animal Encounters Reader 903 photos, 151 members
Michael Neff says:
"In addition to being an incredible self-taught photographer and designer, this man can honk a mean Sousaphone!"
May 20th, 2007
- Max Waugh
- May 2007
- I am: