Photo © Mark Velasquez
I am now leading classes, tours and workshops both in the Seattle area and abroad. Learn more about my workshops and tours.
Purchase prints and make licensing requests on my web site: www.maxwaugh.com. Please note that I support my lifestyle and photography partially through my images. This means that yes, I charge a licensing fee for commercial usage (sorry, Discovery Channel :P). Please contact me via my web site so we can work together on a quote for you.
Yellowstone visitors: be sure to visit the Stop the Car Trading Post in Silver Gate (outside the NE entrance) where you can buy select prints of my photos at reduced prices.
I'm a photographer and designer based in Seattle. Most of my personal photography involves nature and travel.
I don't really get philosophical about my work, but I will say that I look at Flickr and my own web site as a window to the world. This is not a portfolio per se, so that means that I'll occasionally post stuff that may be considered mediocre-at-best (or crap). I enjoy giving people a view of what's out there, and am fortunate that my collection has been able to sustain a daily Flickr post until now. So occasionally you'll get a look at a different species or locale that you may never see or visit in your life, but even if the photo isn't spectacular, I'm happy to have at least provided a glimpse of that part of the world for you. :)
You can also now follow Max Waugh Photography on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest photo events, trip reports from Yellowstone and coupon codes for my store.
My images are available for sale as prints or for business licensing purposes via my web site: www.maxwaugh.com.
Please contact me via my web site. I prefer direct email to having to log on and use Flickr Mail. At this time, I am accepting assignments.
Folks sometimes post their favorite shots here on their profile page. I thought I'd share some of the most exciting moments I've had photographing wildlife in recent years. Naturally, these shots are some of my favorites as much for the memories they bring as any technical or artistic "quality" they possess.
Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken. It was my first real close wolf encounter in Yellowstone, and occurred while 200 other people were looking the opposite direction. A brief, private moment that will stay with me forever.
Wild Mountain Lion
Probably the least likely photo opportunity that has actually paid off for me. Unlike photographing cats in Africa, where one can tromp all over an open plain in search of photo ops, finding a wild mountain lion to photograph this close is nearly impossible. Usually inhabiting tough, rocky and heavily forested terrain, photo ops don't come around too often. In this case, I set aside two days to sit in a tree stand in Utah, in hopes that this cat would show up to drink at a spring. I figured two days wasn't nearly enough time and my hopes were slim, but near the end of the first day, I was rewarded.
During my 2010 trip to South Africa we stopped at Mala Mala Game Reserve for a few days. Leopards were our main goal, and we were incredibly lucky to arrive soon after the guides had discovered a new cub. Of course, there was no guarantee that we'd actually see the cub, especially if the mother wasn't around. At sunrise on the first morning drive we arrived to find mother and cub resting and playing out in the sunlight. There was a lot of grass to obscure our view at times, but every so often the little tyke was cooperative enough to venture into the open. It was estimated at five weeks old, so young that it was still sporting blue eyes. What a rare and memorable encounter!
Photos of Max Waugh Photography (3)
- India Images 380,394 photos, 17,848 members
- National Parks Traveler 11,089 photos, 528 members
- The Fox 5,115 photos, 663 members
- ONE PHOTO 14,862 photos, 1,204 members
- Borneo - The Land Below The Wind 13,408 photos, 868 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 19,972 photos, 2,435 members
- Birds of Peru (Aves del Perú) 4,275 photos, 146 members
- Hong Kong 香港 319,955 photos, 13,937 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 175,732 photos, 22,463 members
- Peru 44,424 photos, 2,689 members
- Pacific Northwest 344,794 photos, 8,695 members
- University of Washington Athletics 340 photos, 133 members
- Favorites: 500 1,139 photos, 258 members
- Favorites: 300 3,010 photos, 711 members
- South Africa 111,096 photos, 4,728 members
- Rutas de América del Sur - Roads of South America 6,773 photos, 2,142 members
- ***PATAGONIA*** 33,598 photos, 2,141 members
- Field Guide: Patagonia Wild Fauna // Guia de Campo: Patagonia 930 photos, 109 members
- Canadian Animals and Wildlife 41,358 photos, 789 members
- BEARS of the WORLD 22,174 photos, 2,634 members
- Gadling 33,238 photos, 1,708 members
- Whales 10,222 photos, 2,350 members
- Animals hunting-animales cazando 210 photos, 61 members
- Cheetah, mother nature's masterpiece! 3,723 photos, 796 members
- Common dolphin (Delphinus sp.) 478 photos, 123 members
- The Oracle of Great Photography/500 Faves 499 photos, 129 members
- Russia 105,742 photos, 4,881 members
- Wild Cat World 9,454 photos, 956 members
- Tropical Rainforest 4,959 photos, 434 members
- Costa Rican Birds 4,083 photos, 215 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 20,396 photos, 1,088 members
- Animal Encounters Reader 924 photos, 152 members
- World of Big Wild Cats 6,264 photos, 775 members
- Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Blacktail Bucks 5,356 photos, 426 members
- Flickr Big Cats 107,314 photos, 11,077 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 496 photos, 421 members
- North American Nature & Wildlife Photography 91,544 photos, 1,671 members
- Otters 7,891 photos, 1,366 members
- Grand Tetons 16,883 photos, 1,871 members
- Pumas 3,424 photos, 565 members
- Scotland in Picture 233,633 photos, 5,656 members
- Travelers´ Nature 8,019 photos, 296 members
- Individual Animals: honoring Jane Goodall 506 photos, 44 members
- Scotland 461,418 photos, 16,255 members
- England 334,751 photos, 8,535 members
- Bird with prey 6,397 photos, 868 members
- Born in 1975 & 1976 6,829 photos, 250 members
- Animals in Black and White (no pets!) 3,244 photos, 917 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 795 photos, 591 members
- 100+ Favorites: Cats 307 photos, 208 members
Michael Neff says:
"In addition to being an incredible self-taught photographer and designer, this man can honk a mean Sousaphone!"
May 20th, 2007
- Max Waugh
- May 2007
- I am: