Photo © Mark Velasquez
I am now leading classes, tours and workshops both in the Seattle area and abroad. Learn more about my workshops and tours.
Purchase prints and make licensing requests on my web site: www.maxwaugh.com. Please note that I support my lifestyle and photography partially through my images. This means that yes, I charge a licensing fee for commercial usage (sorry, Discovery Channel :P). Please contact me via my web site so we can work together on a quote for you.
Yellowstone visitors: be sure to visit the Stop the Car Trading Post in Silver Gate (outside the NE entrance) where you can buy select prints of my photos at reduced prices.
I'm a photographer and designer based in Seattle. Most of my personal photography involves nature and travel.
I don't really get philosophical about my work, but I will say that I look at Flickr and my own web site as a window to the world. This is not a portfolio per se, so that means that I'll occasionally post stuff that may be considered mediocre-at-best (or crap). I enjoy giving people a view of what's out there, and am fortunate that my collection has been able to sustain a daily Flickr post until now. So occasionally you'll get a look at a different species or locale that you may never see or visit in your life, but even if the photo isn't spectacular, I'm happy to have at least provided a glimpse of that part of the world for you. :)
You can also now follow Max Waugh Photography on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest photo events, trip reports from Yellowstone and coupon codes for my store.
My images are available for sale as prints or for business licensing purposes via my web site: www.maxwaugh.com.
Please contact me via my web site. I prefer direct email to having to log on and use Flickr Mail. At this time, I am accepting assignments.
Folks sometimes post their favorite shots here on their profile page. I thought I'd share some of the most exciting moments I've had photographing wildlife in recent years. Naturally, these shots are some of my favorites as much for the memories they bring as any technical or artistic "quality" they possess.
Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken. It was my first real close wolf encounter in Yellowstone, and occurred while 200 other people were looking the opposite direction. A brief, private moment that will stay with me forever.
Wild Mountain Lion
Probably the least likely photo opportunity that has actually paid off for me. Unlike photographing cats in Africa, where one can tromp all over an open plain in search of photo ops, finding a wild mountain lion to photograph this close is nearly impossible. Usually inhabiting tough, rocky and heavily forested terrain, photo ops don't come around too often. In this case, I set aside two days to sit in a tree stand in Utah, in hopes that this cat would show up to drink at a spring. I figured two days wasn't nearly enough time and my hopes were slim, but near the end of the first day, I was rewarded.
During my 2010 trip to South Africa we stopped at Mala Mala Game Reserve for a few days. Leopards were our main goal, and we were incredibly lucky to arrive soon after the guides had discovered a new cub. Of course, there was no guarantee that we'd actually see the cub, especially if the mother wasn't around. At sunrise on the first morning drive we arrived to find mother and cub resting and playing out in the sunlight. There was a lot of grass to obscure our view at times, but every so often the little tyke was cooperative enough to venture into the open. It was estimated at five weeks old, so young that it was still sporting blue eyes. What a rare and memorable encounter!
Photos of Max Waugh Photography (3)
- Beautiful British Columbia 144,277 photos, 5,031 members
- British Columbia Wildlife 8,485 photos, 426 members
- BORN to be WILD 26,044 photos, 2,601 members
- Australian National Parks - No Invite required 31,588 photos, 1,108 members
- ^ Wildlife of Australia ^ Plz enter the ICON CONTEST. 32,789 photos, 1,693 members
- Nature and Animals (Wild Only) 256,164 photos, 12,952 members
- Owls (Wild Only) 14,389 photos, 1,452 members
- India Images 435,411 photos, 19,038 members
- National Parks Traveler 16,771 photos, 818 members
- The Fox 5,974 photos, 747 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,180 photos, 1,168 members
- Borneo - The Land Below The Wind 14,155 photos, 930 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 35,286 photos, 2,732 members
- Birds of Peru (Aves del Perú) 5,485 photos, 186 members
- Hong Kong 香港 355,249 photos, 15,186 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 192,262 photos, 26,257 members
- Peru 52,035 photos, 3,020 members
- Pacific Northwest 403,077 photos, 9,513 members
- University of Washington Athletics 352 photos, 147 members
- Favorites: 500 2,880 photos, 540 members
- Favorites: 300 9,008 photos, 1,265 members
- South Africa 126,294 photos, 5,094 members
- Rutas de América del Sur - Roads of South America 6,692 photos, 2,202 members
- ***PATAGONIA*** 41,584 photos, 2,593 members
- Field Guide: Patagonia Wild Fauna // Guia de Campo: Patagonia 1,158 photos, 122 members
- Canadian Animals and Wildlife 48,600 photos, 915 members
- BEARS of the WORLD 25,208 photos, 2,795 members
- Gadling 33,322 photos, 1,698 members
- Whales 11,451 photos, 2,533 members
- Animals hunting-animales cazando 254 photos, 71 members
- Cheetah, mother nature's masterpiece! 4,235 photos, 864 members
- Common dolphin (Delphinus sp.) 532 photos, 134 members
- The Oracle of Great Photography/500 Faves 498 photos, 130 members
- Russia 137,754 photos, 5,419 members
- Wild Cat World 12,116 photos, 1,136 members
- Tropical Rainforest 5,960 photos, 514 members
- Costa Rican Birds 5,105 photos, 294 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 27,732 photos, 1,272 members
- Animal Encounters Reader 922 photos, 152 members
- World of Big Wild Cats 6,215 photos, 810 members
- Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Blacktail Bucks 6,742 photos, 460 members
- Flickr Big Cats 124,160 photos, 11,662 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 2,406 photos, 628 members
- North American Nature & Wildlife Photography 125,057 photos, 1,967 members
- Otters 8,781 photos, 1,453 members
- Grand Tetons 19,713 photos, 2,071 members
- Pumas 3,629 photos, 606 members
- Scotland in Picture 307,156 photos, 7,184 members
- Travelers´ Nature 10,080 photos, 333 members
- Individual Animals: honoring Jane Goodall 503 photos, 44 members
Michael Neff says:
"In addition to being an incredible self-taught photographer and designer, this man can honk a mean Sousaphone!"
May 20th, 2007
- Max Waugh
- May 2007
- I am: