Photo © Mark Velasquez
I am now leading classes, tours and workshops both in the Seattle area and abroad. Learn more about my workshops and tours.
Purchase prints and make licensing requests on my web site: www.maxwaugh.com. Please note that I support my lifestyle and photography partially through my images. This means that yes, I charge a licensing fee for commercial usage (sorry, Discovery Channel :P). Please contact me via my web site so we can work together on a quote for you.
Yellowstone visitors: be sure to visit the Stop the Car Trading Post in Silver Gate (outside the NE entrance) where you can buy select prints of my photos at reduced prices.
I'm a photographer and designer based in Seattle. Most of my personal photography involves nature and travel.
I don't really get philosophical about my work, but I will say that I look at Flickr and my own web site as a window to the world. This is not a portfolio per se, so that means that I'll occasionally post stuff that may be considered mediocre-at-best (or crap). I enjoy giving people a view of what's out there, and am fortunate that my collection has been able to sustain a daily Flickr post until now. So occasionally you'll get a look at a different species or locale that you may never see or visit in your life, but even if the photo isn't spectacular, I'm happy to have at least provided a glimpse of that part of the world for you. :)
You can also now follow Max Waugh Photography on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest photo events, trip reports from Yellowstone and coupon codes for my store.
My images are available for sale as prints or for business licensing purposes via my web site: www.maxwaugh.com.
Please contact me via my web site. I prefer direct email to having to log on and use Flickr Mail. At this time, I am accepting assignments.
Folks sometimes post their favorite shots here on their profile page. I thought I'd share some of the most exciting moments I've had photographing wildlife in recent years. Naturally, these shots are some of my favorites as much for the memories they bring as any technical or artistic "quality" they possess.
Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken. It was my first real close wolf encounter in Yellowstone, and occurred while 200 other people were looking the opposite direction. A brief, private moment that will stay with me forever.
Wild Mountain Lion
Probably the least likely photo opportunity that has actually paid off for me. Unlike photographing cats in Africa, where one can tromp all over an open plain in search of photo ops, finding a wild mountain lion to photograph this close is nearly impossible. Usually inhabiting tough, rocky and heavily forested terrain, photo ops don't come around too often. In this case, I set aside two days to sit in a tree stand in Utah, in hopes that this cat would show up to drink at a spring. I figured two days wasn't nearly enough time and my hopes were slim, but near the end of the first day, I was rewarded.
During my 2010 trip to South Africa we stopped at Mala Mala Game Reserve for a few days. Leopards were our main goal, and we were incredibly lucky to arrive soon after the guides had discovered a new cub. Of course, there was no guarantee that we'd actually see the cub, especially if the mother wasn't around. At sunrise on the first morning drive we arrived to find mother and cub resting and playing out in the sunlight. There was a lot of grass to obscure our view at times, but every so often the little tyke was cooperative enough to venture into the open. It was estimated at five weeks old, so young that it was still sporting blue eyes. What a rare and memorable encounter!
Photos of Max Waugh Photography (3)
- Australian National Parks - No Invite required 30,338 photos, 1,081 members
- ^ Wildlife of Australia ^ Plz enter the ICON CONTEST. 30,758 photos, 1,625 members
- Nature and Animals (Wild Only) 186,953 photos, 10,674 members
- Owls (Wild Only) 10,761 photos, 1,155 members
- India Images 423,911 photos, 18,887 members
- National Parks Traveler 14,868 photos, 739 members
- The Fox 5,811 photos, 726 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,246 photos, 1,184 members
- Borneo - The Land Below The Wind 13,965 photos, 916 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 30,966 photos, 2,688 members
- Birds of Peru (Aves del Perú) 5,247 photos, 174 members
- Hong Kong 香港 349,081 photos, 14,953 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 189,668 photos, 26,002 members
- Peru 50,237 photos, 2,929 members
- Pacific Northwest 390,523 photos, 9,359 members
- University of Washington Athletics 348 photos, 143 members
- Favorites: 500 2,195 photos, 477 members
- Favorites: 300 7,067 photos, 1,123 members
- South Africa 122,447 photos, 5,005 members
- Rutas de América del Sur - Roads of South America 6,704 photos, 2,211 members
- ***PATAGONIA*** 39,875 photos, 2,492 members
- Field Guide: Patagonia Wild Fauna // Guia de Campo: Patagonia 1,065 photos, 119 members
- Canadian Animals and Wildlife 46,068 photos, 873 members
- BEARS of the WORLD 24,522 photos, 2,771 members
- Gadling 33,426 photos, 1,703 members
- Whales 11,206 photos, 2,503 members
- Animals hunting-animales cazando 248 photos, 68 members
- Cheetah, mother nature's masterpiece! 4,087 photos, 839 members
- Common dolphin (Delphinus sp.) 524 photos, 132 members
- The Oracle of Great Photography/500 Faves 507 photos, 130 members
- Russia 130,139 photos, 5,272 members
- Wild Cat World 11,264 photos, 1,088 members
- Tropical Rainforest 5,772 photos, 495 members
- Costa Rican Birds 5,359 photos, 267 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 25,563 photos, 1,239 members
- Animal Encounters Reader 924 photos, 152 members
- World of Big Wild Cats 6,202 photos, 805 members
- Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Blacktail Bucks 6,174 photos, 446 members
- Flickr Big Cats 120,071 photos, 11,560 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 1,743 photos, 564 members
- North American Nature & Wildlife Photography 116,783 photos, 1,896 members
- Otters 8,622 photos, 1,436 members
- Grand Tetons 18,922 photos, 2,031 members
- Pumas 3,588 photos, 591 members
- Scotland in Picture 286,795 photos, 6,837 members
- Travelers´ Nature 9,407 photos, 324 members
- Individual Animals: honoring Jane Goodall 503 photos, 44 members
- Scotland 515,466 photos, 17,530 members
- England 410,762 photos, 9,457 members
- Bird with prey 9,250 photos, 1,053 members
Michael Neff says:
"In addition to being an incredible self-taught photographer and designer, this man can honk a mean Sousaphone!"
May 20th, 2007
- Max Waugh
- May 2007
- I am: