Photo © Mark Velasquez
I am now leading classes, tours and workshops both in the Seattle area and abroad. Learn more about my workshops and tours.
Purchase prints and make licensing requests on my web site: www.maxwaugh.com. Please note that I support my lifestyle and photography partially through my images. This means that yes, I charge a licensing fee for commercial usage (sorry, Discovery Channel :P). Please contact me via my web site so we can work together on a quote for you.
Yellowstone visitors: be sure to visit the Stop the Car Trading Post in Silver Gate (outside the NE entrance) where you can buy select prints of my photos at reduced prices.
I'm a photographer and designer based in Seattle. Most of my personal photography involves nature and travel.
I don't really get philosophical about my work, but I will say that I look at Flickr and my own web site as a window to the world. This is not a portfolio per se, so that means that I'll occasionally post stuff that may be considered mediocre-at-best (or crap). I enjoy giving people a view of what's out there, and am fortunate that my collection has been able to sustain a daily Flickr post until now. So occasionally you'll get a look at a different species or locale that you may never see or visit in your life, but even if the photo isn't spectacular, I'm happy to have at least provided a glimpse of that part of the world for you. :)
You can also now follow Max Waugh Photography on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest photo events, trip reports from Yellowstone and coupon codes for my store.
My images are available for sale as prints or for business licensing purposes via my web site: www.maxwaugh.com.
Please contact me via my web site. I prefer direct email to having to log on and use Flickr Mail. At this time, I am accepting assignments.
Folks sometimes post their favorite shots here on their profile page. I thought I'd share some of the most exciting moments I've had photographing wildlife in recent years. Naturally, these shots are some of my favorites as much for the memories they bring as any technical or artistic "quality" they possess.
Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken. It was my first real close wolf encounter in Yellowstone, and occurred while 200 other people were looking the opposite direction. A brief, private moment that will stay with me forever.
Wild Mountain Lion
Probably the least likely photo opportunity that has actually paid off for me. Unlike photographing cats in Africa, where one can tromp all over an open plain in search of photo ops, finding a wild mountain lion to photograph this close is nearly impossible. Usually inhabiting tough, rocky and heavily forested terrain, photo ops don't come around too often. In this case, I set aside two days to sit in a tree stand in Utah, in hopes that this cat would show up to drink at a spring. I figured two days wasn't nearly enough time and my hopes were slim, but near the end of the first day, I was rewarded.
During my 2010 trip to South Africa we stopped at Mala Mala Game Reserve for a few days. Leopards were our main goal, and we were incredibly lucky to arrive soon after the guides had discovered a new cub. Of course, there was no guarantee that we'd actually see the cub, especially if the mother wasn't around. At sunrise on the first morning drive we arrived to find mother and cub resting and playing out in the sunlight. There was a lot of grass to obscure our view at times, but every so often the little tyke was cooperative enough to venture into the open. It was estimated at five weeks old, so young that it was still sporting blue eyes. What a rare and memorable encounter!
Photos of Max Waugh Photography (3)
- India Images 390,458 photos, 18,277 members
- National Parks Traveler 11,916 photos, 587 members
- The Fox 5,227 photos, 674 members
- ONE PHOTO 15,252 photos, 1,214 members
- Borneo - The Land Below The Wind 13,522 photos, 889 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 21,392 photos, 2,488 members
- Birds of Peru (Aves del Perú) 4,323 photos, 148 members
- Hong Kong 香港 328,513 photos, 14,219 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 179,953 photos, 23,523 members
- Peru 45,608 photos, 2,746 members
- Pacific Northwest 357,010 photos, 8,878 members
- University of Washington Athletics 345 photos, 134 members
- Favorites: 500 1,460 photos, 320 members
- Favorites: 300 3,782 photos, 814 members
- South Africa 113,006 photos, 4,790 members
- Rutas de América del Sur - Roads of South America 6,767 photos, 2,165 members
- ***PATAGONIA*** 34,807 photos, 2,211 members
- Field Guide: Patagonia Wild Fauna // Guia de Campo: Patagonia 956 photos, 109 members
- Canadian Animals and Wildlife 43,753 photos, 808 members
- BEARS of the WORLD 22,719 photos, 2,677 members
- Gadling 33,278 photos, 1,707 members
- Whales 10,631 photos, 2,404 members
- Animals hunting-animales cazando 210 photos, 61 members
- Cheetah, mother nature's masterpiece! 3,777 photos, 806 members
- Common dolphin (Delphinus sp.) 489 photos, 125 members
- The Oracle of Great Photography/500 Faves 502 photos, 133 members
- Russia 111,709 photos, 4,994 members
- Wild Cat World 9,554 photos, 979 members
- Tropical Rainforest 5,057 photos, 446 members
- Costa Rican Birds 4,330 photos, 222 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 21,554 photos, 1,128 members
- Animal Encounters Reader 931 photos, 152 members
- World of Big Wild Cats 6,231 photos, 790 members
- Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Blacktail Bucks 5,507 photos, 430 members
- Flickr Big Cats 110,074 photos, 11,208 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 646 photos, 443 members
- North American Nature & Wildlife Photography 96,915 photos, 1,727 members
- Otters 8,025 photos, 1,393 members
- Grand Tetons 17,400 photos, 1,938 members
- Pumas 3,459 photos, 568 members
- Scotland in Picture 247,697 photos, 5,988 members
- Travelers´ Nature 8,099 photos, 297 members
- Individual Animals: honoring Jane Goodall 504 photos, 44 members
- Scotland 475,772 photos, 16,637 members
- England 352,284 photos, 8,797 members
- Bird with prey 6,856 photos, 909 members
- Born in 1975 & 1976 6,839 photos, 248 members
- Animals in Black and White (no pets!) 3,249 photos, 932 members
- 500+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 1,136 photos, 658 members
- 100+ Favorites: Cats 306 photos, 208 members
Michael Neff says:
"In addition to being an incredible self-taught photographer and designer, this man can honk a mean Sousaphone!"
May 20th, 2007
- Max Waugh
- May 2007
- I am: