Photo © Mark Velasquez
I am now leading classes, tours and workshops both in the Seattle area and abroad. Learn more about my workshops and tours.
Purchase prints and make licensing requests on my web site: www.maxwaugh.com. Please note that I support my lifestyle and photography partially through my images. This means that yes, I charge a licensing fee for commercial usage (sorry, Discovery Channel :P). Please contact me via my web site so we can work together on a quote for you.
Yellowstone visitors: be sure to visit the Stop the Car Trading Post in Silver Gate (outside the NE entrance) where you can buy select prints of my photos at reduced prices.
I'm a photographer and designer based in Seattle. Most of my personal photography involves nature and travel.
I don't really get philosophical about my work, but I will say that I look at Flickr and my own web site as a window to the world. This is not a portfolio per se, so that means that I'll occasionally post stuff that may be considered mediocre-at-best (or crap). I enjoy giving people a view of what's out there, and am fortunate that my collection has been able to sustain a daily Flickr post until now. So occasionally you'll get a look at a different species or locale that you may never see or visit in your life, but even if the photo isn't spectacular, I'm happy to have at least provided a glimpse of that part of the world for you. :)
You can also now follow Max Waugh Photography on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest photo events, trip reports from Yellowstone and coupon codes for my store.
My images are available for sale as prints or for business licensing purposes via my web site: www.maxwaugh.com.
Please contact me via my web site. I prefer direct email to having to log on and use Flickr Mail. At this time, I am accepting assignments.
Folks sometimes post their favorite shots here on their profile page. I thought I'd share some of the most exciting moments I've had photographing wildlife in recent years. Naturally, these shots are some of my favorites as much for the memories they bring as any technical or artistic "quality" they possess.
Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken. It was my first real close wolf encounter in Yellowstone, and occurred while 200 other people were looking the opposite direction. A brief, private moment that will stay with me forever.
Wild Mountain Lion
Probably the least likely photo opportunity that has actually paid off for me. Unlike photographing cats in Africa, where one can tromp all over an open plain in search of photo ops, finding a wild mountain lion to photograph this close is nearly impossible. Usually inhabiting tough, rocky and heavily forested terrain, photo ops don't come around too often. In this case, I set aside two days to sit in a tree stand in Utah, in hopes that this cat would show up to drink at a spring. I figured two days wasn't nearly enough time and my hopes were slim, but near the end of the first day, I was rewarded.
During my 2010 trip to South Africa we stopped at Mala Mala Game Reserve for a few days. Leopards were our main goal, and we were incredibly lucky to arrive soon after the guides had discovered a new cub. Of course, there was no guarantee that we'd actually see the cub, especially if the mother wasn't around. At sunrise on the first morning drive we arrived to find mother and cub resting and playing out in the sunlight. There was a lot of grass to obscure our view at times, but every so often the little tyke was cooperative enough to venture into the open. It was estimated at five weeks old, so young that it was still sporting blue eyes. What a rare and memorable encounter!
Photos of Max Waugh Photography (3)
- Australian National Parks - No Invite required 30,145 photos, 1,076 members
- ^ Wildlife of Australia ^ Plz enter the ICON CONTEST. 30,558 photos, 1,611 members
- Nature and Animals (Wild Only) 174,415 photos, 10,176 members
- Owls (Wild Only) 10,311 photos, 1,106 members
- India Images 422,644 photos, 18,849 members
- National Parks Traveler 14,466 photos, 723 members
- The Fox 5,779 photos, 720 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,244 photos, 1,188 members
- Borneo - The Land Below The Wind 13,955 photos, 915 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 30,251 photos, 2,681 members
- Birds of Peru (Aves del Perú) 5,234 photos, 174 members
- Hong Kong 香港 350,350 photos, 14,925 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 188,655 photos, 25,911 members
- Peru 50,389 photos, 2,919 members
- Pacific Northwest 387,529 photos, 9,316 members
- University of Washington Athletics 348 photos, 143 members
- Favorites: 500 2,082 photos, 470 members
- Favorites: 300 6,853 photos, 1,110 members
- South Africa 121,900 photos, 4,986 members
- Rutas de América del Sur - Roads of South America 6,705 photos, 2,213 members
- ***PATAGONIA*** 39,572 photos, 2,480 members
- Field Guide: Patagonia Wild Fauna // Guia de Campo: Patagonia 1,053 photos, 119 members
- Canadian Animals and Wildlife 45,526 photos, 871 members
- BEARS of the WORLD 24,434 photos, 2,762 members
- Gadling 33,401 photos, 1,704 members
- Whales 11,095 photos, 2,490 members
- Animals hunting-animales cazando 242 photos, 67 members
- Cheetah, mother nature's masterpiece! 4,027 photos, 838 members
- Common dolphin (Delphinus sp.) 523 photos, 131 members
- The Oracle of Great Photography/500 Faves 509 photos, 130 members
- Russia 128,714 photos, 5,257 members
- Wild Cat World 11,081 photos, 1,082 members
- Tropical Rainforest 5,719 photos, 492 members
- Costa Rican Birds 5,285 photos, 263 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 25,185 photos, 1,232 members
- Animal Encounters Reader 924 photos, 152 members
- World of Big Wild Cats 6,202 photos, 805 members
- Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Blacktail Bucks 6,120 photos, 443 members
- Flickr Big Cats 119,145 photos, 11,536 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 1,659 photos, 559 members
- North American Nature & Wildlife Photography 115,311 photos, 1,882 members
- Otters 8,562 photos, 1,431 members
- Grand Tetons 18,867 photos, 2,025 members
- Pumas 3,582 photos, 589 members
- Scotland in Picture 282,942 photos, 6,759 members
- Travelers´ Nature 9,299 photos, 321 members
- Individual Animals: honoring Jane Goodall 503 photos, 44 members
- Scotland 515,033 photos, 17,440 members
- England 405,598 photos, 9,406 members
- Bird with prey 9,092 photos, 1,042 members
Michael Neff says:
"In addition to being an incredible self-taught photographer and designer, this man can honk a mean Sousaphone!"
May 20th, 2007
- Max Waugh
- May 2007
- I am: