Photo © Mark Velasquez
I am now leading classes, tours and workshops both in the Seattle area and abroad. Learn more about my workshops and tours.
Purchase prints and make licensing requests on my web site: www.maxwaugh.com. Please note that I support my lifestyle and photography partially through my images. This means that yes, I charge a licensing fee for commercial usage (sorry, Discovery Channel :P). Please contact me via my web site so we can work together on a quote for you.
Yellowstone visitors: be sure to visit the Stop the Car Trading Post in Silver Gate (outside the NE entrance) where you can buy select prints of my photos at reduced prices.
I'm a photographer and designer based in Seattle. Most of my personal photography involves nature and travel.
I don't really get philosophical about my work, but I will say that I look at Flickr and my own web site as a window to the world. This is not a portfolio per se, so that means that I'll occasionally post stuff that may be considered mediocre-at-best (or crap). I enjoy giving people a view of what's out there, and am fortunate that my collection has been able to sustain a daily Flickr post until now. So occasionally you'll get a look at a different species or locale that you may never see or visit in your life, but even if the photo isn't spectacular, I'm happy to have at least provided a glimpse of that part of the world for you. :)
You can also now follow Max Waugh Photography on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest photo events, trip reports from Yellowstone and coupon codes for my store.
My images are available for sale as prints or for business licensing purposes via my web site: www.maxwaugh.com.
Please contact me via my web site. I prefer direct email to having to log on and use Flickr Mail. At this time, I am accepting assignments.
Folks sometimes post their favorite shots here on their profile page. I thought I'd share some of the most exciting moments I've had photographing wildlife in recent years. Naturally, these shots are some of my favorites as much for the memories they bring as any technical or artistic "quality" they possess.
Perhaps my favorite photo I've ever taken. It was my first real close wolf encounter in Yellowstone, and occurred while 200 other people were looking the opposite direction. A brief, private moment that will stay with me forever.
Wild Mountain Lion
Probably the least likely photo opportunity that has actually paid off for me. Unlike photographing cats in Africa, where one can tromp all over an open plain in search of photo ops, finding a wild mountain lion to photograph this close is nearly impossible. Usually inhabiting tough, rocky and heavily forested terrain, photo ops don't come around too often. In this case, I set aside two days to sit in a tree stand in Utah, in hopes that this cat would show up to drink at a spring. I figured two days wasn't nearly enough time and my hopes were slim, but near the end of the first day, I was rewarded.
During my 2010 trip to South Africa we stopped at Mala Mala Game Reserve for a few days. Leopards were our main goal, and we were incredibly lucky to arrive soon after the guides had discovered a new cub. Of course, there was no guarantee that we'd actually see the cub, especially if the mother wasn't around. At sunrise on the first morning drive we arrived to find mother and cub resting and playing out in the sunlight. There was a lot of grass to obscure our view at times, but every so often the little tyke was cooperative enough to venture into the open. It was estimated at five weeks old, so young that it was still sporting blue eyes. What a rare and memorable encounter!
Photos of Max Waugh Photography (3)
- Australian National Parks - No Invite required 30,642 photos, 1,084 members
- ^ Wildlife of Australia ^ Plz enter the ICON CONTEST. 31,216 photos, 1,635 members
- Nature and Animals (Wild Only) 199,016 photos, 11,146 members
- Owls (Wild Only) 11,196 photos, 1,204 members
- India Images 426,176 photos, 18,904 members
- National Parks Traveler 15,227 photos, 756 members
- The Fox 5,830 photos, 725 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,211 photos, 1,180 members
- Borneo - The Land Below The Wind 13,998 photos, 919 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 31,785 photos, 2,713 members
- Birds of Peru (Aves del Perú) 5,289 photos, 175 members
- Hong Kong 香港 348,816 photos, 14,982 members
- Field Guide: Birds of the World 189,248 photos, 26,007 members
- Peru 50,493 photos, 2,953 members
- Pacific Northwest 393,850 photos, 9,401 members
- University of Washington Athletics 351 photos, 144 members
- Favorites: 500 2,349 photos, 491 members
- Favorites: 300 7,385 photos, 1,152 members
- South Africa 123,196 photos, 5,027 members
- Rutas de América del Sur - Roads of South America 6,701 photos, 2,208 members
- ***PATAGONIA*** 40,174 photos, 2,507 members
- Field Guide: Patagonia Wild Fauna // Guia de Campo: Patagonia 1,077 photos, 120 members
- Canadian Animals and Wildlife 46,751 photos, 880 members
- BEARS of the WORLD 24,710 photos, 2,776 members
- Gadling 33,450 photos, 1,701 members
- Whales 11,301 photos, 2,512 members
- Animals hunting-animales cazando 248 photos, 68 members
- Cheetah, mother nature's masterpiece! 4,139 photos, 845 members
- Common dolphin (Delphinus sp.) 528 photos, 132 members
- The Oracle of Great Photography/500 Faves 508 photos, 130 members
- Russia 131,789 photos, 5,288 members
- Wild Cat World 11,458 photos, 1,101 members
- Tropical Rainforest 5,814 photos, 495 members
- Costa Rican Birds 5,453 photos, 274 members
- Ecuador, country of the sun 26,028 photos, 1,245 members
- Animal Encounters Reader 924 photos, 152 members
- World of Big Wild Cats 6,227 photos, 811 members
- Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Blacktail Bucks 6,193 photos, 450 members
- Flickr Big Cats 121,160 photos, 11,583 members
- 600+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 1,870 photos, 575 members
- North American Nature & Wildlife Photography 118,649 photos, 1,912 members
- Otters 8,661 photos, 1,443 members
- Grand Tetons 19,086 photos, 2,044 members
- Pumas 3,593 photos, 595 members
- Scotland in Picture 291,874 photos, 6,930 members
- Travelers´ Nature 9,512 photos, 324 members
- Individual Animals: honoring Jane Goodall 503 photos, 44 members
- Scotland 520,406 photos, 17,606 members
- England 415,765 photos, 9,524 members
- Bird with prey 9,422 photos, 1,061 members
Michael Neff says:
"In addition to being an incredible self-taught photographer and designer, this man can honk a mean Sousaphone!"
May 20th, 2007
- Max Waugh
- May 2007
- I am: