as of June 2015 ** BREAKING NEWS **
RIGHT NOW May-June-July 2015 SOLO SHOW in CARMEL, CA at:
Center for Photographic Art
I WISH I COULD UPLOAD THE SHOW CATALOG HERE (I don't know if it is possible - a PDF file.)
My new book is available for viewing all pages without buying!
If you hit the little square icon lower right you can see everything fullscreen mode. [Also, there is an e-book version for ipad, etc]:
Earlier this year I won "the special prize" (2nd Prize, the only U.S. photographer included in the entire show) from THE ALL-JAPAN ASS'N OF PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETIES (AJAPS) international competition. My photograph "Silver Surrender" of an angel's trumpet will tour Japan for the entire year.
December 6: 2 Honorable Mention Awards in--
2012 Fine Art Competition organized by THE WORLDWIDE PHOTOGRAPHY GALA AWARDS
Nov 27: P L E A S E take this link and also make a comment at the end of the show, if you liked it - it is all about the True Buddha Nature of trees:
Nov. 26, 2012: I have been named "ASSOCIATE OF THE ROYAL PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY" and I can put "ARPS" after my name on my card. It's a rigorous application process. This is the second rung in the distinction ladder (skipped the first.)
Sept 2012: MICHAEL KENNA juried two of my pieces into a Holga show in a commercial gallery in Texas.
Here is my brand new book, LUMEN. There are 34 viewable color prints all developed outdoors:
My brand new website just for plants:
Recently I published THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS. Here's the link . The first 36 pages are black and white and the second half is technicolor. All pages are available to preview so that people don't get teased into buying something expensive.
Al Capp, on postmodern art:
[they are] the "product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered." [I agree!]
Here is an amusing, delightful little interview I heartily recommend:
"Art is not an intellectual process. It has to be a love affair."
Minor White, paraphrased, said photograph "for what it is and for what else it is." I'm always looking to create photographs that communicate "something-elseness."
"The challenge is to find something to do that deeply resonates with who you are in a way that points to the mystery of being alive."
“What use is having a great depth of field,
if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?”
– W. Eugene Smith
And Brett Weston:
"Photography is a visual medium and the less said, the better."
A flickerite posted this:
Please visit my website www.dianekaye.com
I want to thank ANDREAS KAHLER for making a beautiful compilation of some old Flickr images:
I fell madly in love with photography the first night I went to a black and white darkroom class, and I like to push the edges of tonality and composition, and explore how photography is unique, unlike any other art medium, most recently the element of MOTION, frozen or prolonged in time. Complex equivalences in composition, emotional content, and drama are top concerns for me.
I don't do "layers", textures, or any Photoshop beyond the simple darkroom-style tools. However, because of orthopedic concerns, I'm carrying a micro 4/3 camera a lot lately. At least I can make digital negs for contact printing when needed. I was just given a very slightly used Ricoh that will couple with a pile of old Leica German glass I happen to have from Ebay.
Flickr staff says this statement must appear here: "please be advised: My set called "The Human Form" is for over 18 only."
(Feel free to leave comments in English or German.)
Email: berlinsubway -> yahoo.com
NOTE: all images © DIANE KAYE 1980-2012
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WORLDWIDE
- MS-Optical Super Triplet Perar 35mm f/3.5 Lens 359 photos, 147 members
- Underground (tube, subway, metro) around the World 139 photos, 15 members
- fotografíabd 51,734 photos, 2,191 members
- The Secret Dance of Trees 64 photos, 5 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 9,816 photos, 1,287 members
- ..:: I LOVE DARK PHOTOS ::.. 438,472 photos, 17,555 members
- Art Now 366,755 photos, 10,742 members
- The Best of Black & White ☯ (Award 3) 229,296 photos, 9,959 members
- its just a dream 71,140 photos, 2,711 members
- This is Art! 1,909 photos, 745 members
- Dimakosmos Black & White 2,488 photos, 174 members
- Flickr Foto Fame (Gallery of Outstanding Photos) 3,240 photos, 1,863 members
- Monochrome: it's not simply black & white! 2,034 photos, 142 members
- Green is Beautiful 783,578 photos, 87,584 members
- When GREEN is GREEN 4,221 photos, 648 members
- Exposition des Arts Contemporains -P1/C1 28,321 photos, 727 members
- Anything fantastic - 1 pic / day 195,590 photos, 5,598 members
- Black and White Photography Art 615,681 photos, 25,224 members
- Somewhat Strange... 27,300 photos, 820 members
- Weird 31,472 photos, 1,691 members
- Proteaceae 4,284 photos, 320 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Mondays *OPEN* 4,298,594 photos, 116,601 members
- ***Monochrome Forms in Visual Arts P1-C2 - Please VOTE 72,320 photos, 3,539 members
- iEyes 6,938 photos, 665 members
- Universal Art 416,172 photos, 7,602 members
- Figures i formes [Invite only] 4,970 photos, 405 members
- Sensual flowers/Anturium/Anthurium/Kalia/Kalla/Calla/Cantedeskia 203 photos, 49 members
- Zantedeschia 498 photos, 122 members
- Calla Lily 1,824 photos, 482 members
- RED photos only 50,654 photos, 3,929 members
- Iris Flowers 13,789 photos, 1,908 members
- Doors & Windows Project 173,414 photos, 14,250 members
- Nature as Abstract Artist 59,354 photos, 5,283 members
- Beauty In the Mundane 61,532 photos, 912 members
- Parrot tulips 1,721 photos, 301 members
- Analog Photography 2,170,964 photos, 48,540 members
- Still Lifes 36,204 photos, 2,434 members
- ^^ThE DaRk FoReSt^^ 5,572 photos, 356 members
- TriX Lovers 97,657 photos, 5,410 members
- Natur und Umwelt 216,930 photos, 3,638 members
- BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO HEAVEN! 1,012,299 photos, 25,390 members
- Art in Black and White 389,217 photos, 15,262 members
- The Light Painters Society 514,548 photos, 16,965 members
- ART-X 84,791 photos, 1,803 members
- It's Not The Tools... 16,791 photos, 1,142 members
- A different point of view - for photographers 189,765 photos, 4,301 members
- World of B&W + Sepia & other monochrome 772,876 photos, 24,285 members
- Art and Artists. 398,366 photos, 19,405 members
- artistic photos 230,513 photos, 7,463 members
- Photographic Art 187,078 photos, 5,727 members
Falling Thru The Lens says:
"Diane has a special relationship to the magic of light and a unique ability to reveal the unseen. Her photographs seem to radiate imagination! She also has a remarkable range of technical knowledge. I'm inspired by Diane's work both in the sense of being moved by it and in the sense of expanding the possibilities of my own work (for example, it's because of seeing her lumen prints that lumen printing is on my "must try" list). And Diane's comments are not only wonderfully supportive, but also reflect thoughtful engagement with the individual photograph. I appreciate Diane's presence on Flickr, and I always look forward to seeing her new work."
December 17th, 2011
"I love b + w photos and I love the b + w photos of B&WPhotog (the color pics as well!). Not only are they beautiful, but this wonderful photographer and I see things in a similar way--and that's a good thing-because hers are better than mine! (He says immodestly!)"
November 22nd, 2009
"Diane's photography shows how loved this woman is by her friends and people that are part of her life. Most of her portraits show how her viewfinder look doesn't stop to the skin of the subject, it goes beyond, deep inside what we could call the human soul. Her fine art works are examples of grace, understanding of aesthetic values and masterpieces of darkroom technique. Diane doesn't just photograph the world around her, it's the world that reveals to her. She is for me a model and gives me the strength to keep pursuing photography as a "way of life". Thank you Diane."
June 2nd, 2009
- September 2007
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Diane Kaye Photography