** BREAKING NEWS **
My new book is available for viewing all pages without buying!
If you hit the little square icon lower right you can see everything fullscreen mode. [Also, there is an e-book version for ipad, etc]:
Earlier this year I won "the special prize" (2nd Prize, the only U.S. photographer included in the entire show) from THE ALL-JAPAN ASS'N OF PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETIES (AJAPS) international competition. My photograph "Silver Surrender" of an angel's trumpet will tour Japan for the entire year.
December 6: 2 Honorable Mention Awards in--
2012 Fine Art Competition organized by THE WORLDWIDE PHOTOGRAPHY GALA AWARDS
Nov 27: P L E A S E take this link and also make a comment at the end of the show, if you liked it - it is all about the True Buddha Nature of trees:
Nov. 26, 2012: I have been named "ASSOCIATE OF THE ROYAL PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY" and I can put "ARPS" after my name on my card. It's a rigorous application process. This is the second rung in the distinction ladder (skipped the first.)
Sept 2012: MICHAEL KENNA juried two of my pieces into a Holga show in a commercial gallery in Texas.
Here is my brand new book, LUMEN. There are 34 viewable color prints all developed outdoors:
My brand new website just for plants:
Recently I published THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS. Here's the link . The first 36 pages are black and white and the second half is technicolor. All pages are available to preview so that people don't get teased into buying something expensive.
Al Capp, on postmodern art:
[they are] the "product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered." [I agree!]
Here is an amusing, delightful little interview I heartily recommend:
"Art is not an intellectual process. It has to be a love affair."
Minor White, paraphrased, said photograph "for what it is and for what else it is." I'm always looking to create photographs that communicate "something-elseness."
"The challenge is to find something to do that deeply resonates with who you are in a way that points to the mystery of being alive."
“What use is having a great depth of field,
if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?”
– W. Eugene Smith
And Brett Weston:
"Photography is a visual medium and the less said, the better."
A flickerite posted this:
Please visit my website www.dianekaye.com
I want to thank ANDREAS KAHLER for making a beautiful compilation of some old Flickr images:
I fell madly in love with photography the first night I went to a black and white darkroom class, and I like to push the edges of tonality and composition, and explore how photography is unique, unlike any other art medium, most recently the element of MOTION, frozen or prolonged in time. Complex equivalences in composition, emotional content, and drama are top concerns for me.
I don't do "layers", textures, or any Photoshop beyond the simple darkroom-style tools. However, because of orthopedic concerns, I'm carrying a micro 4/3 camera a lot lately. At least I can make digital negs for contact printing when needed. I was just given a very slightly used Ricoh that will couple with a pile of old Leica German glass I happen to have from Ebay.
Flickr staff says this statement must appear here: "please be advised: My set called "The Human Form" is for over 18 only."
(Feel free to leave comments in English or German.)
Email: berlinsubway -> yahoo.com
NOTE: all images © DIANE KAYE 1980-2012
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WORLDWIDE
- The Secret Dance of Trees 57 photos, 4 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 3,548 photos, 664 members
- Artificial Nature 3,581 photos, 230 members
- ..:: I LOVE DARK PHOTOS ::.. 277,911 photos, 13,725 members
- Art Now 270,837 photos, 9,536 members
- The Best of Black & White ☯ (Award 3) 77,281 photos, 4,898 members
- its just a dream 31,691 photos, 1,911 members
- This is Art! 1,465 photos, 686 members
- Dimakosmos Black & White 2,763 photos, 190 members
- Flickr Foto Fame (Gallery of Outstanding Photos) 2,441 photos, 1,748 members
- Monochrome: it's not simply black & white! 1,472 photos, 120 members
- Green is Beautiful 683,802 photos, 65,886 members
- When GREEN is GREEN 3,716 photos, 610 members
- Exposition des Arts Contemporain / By Invitation Only-P1/C1 21,721 photos, 642 members
- Anything fantastic - 1 pic / day 142,098 photos, 4,917 members
- Black and White Photography Art 173,050 photos, 10,286 members
- Somewhat Strange... 17,614 photos, 757 members
- Weird 17,229 photos, 1,221 members
- Proteaceae 3,868 photos, 285 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Hump Day Wednesdays **MACRO** 3,406,837 photos, 97,438 members
- ***Monochrome Forms in Visual Arts-Please vote!*** 39,491 photos, 2,593 members
- iEyes 4,408 photos, 568 members
- Universal Art 97,972 photos, 2,824 members
- Figures i formes 4,263 photos, 328 members
- Sensual flowers/Anturium/Anthurium/Kalia/Kalla/Calla/Cantedeskia 170 photos, 42 members
- Zantedeschia 452 photos, 108 members
- Calla Lily 1,734 photos, 458 members
- RED photos only 29,018 photos, 2,951 members
- Iris Flowers 11,133 photos, 1,718 members
- Doors & Windows Project 146,360 photos, 13,626 members
- Nature as Abstract Artist 24,152 photos, 2,234 members
- Beauty In the Mundane 24,627 photos, 507 members
- Parrot tulips 1,537 photos, 287 members
- Analog Photography 1,530,005 photos, 34,226 members
- Still Lifes 20,922 photos, 1,310 members
- ^^ThE DaRk FoReSt^^ 2,675 photos, 162 members
- TriX Lovers 56,722 photos, 3,070 members
- Natur und Umwelt 104,028 photos, 2,751 members
- BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO HEAVEN! 630,404 photos, 19,012 members
- Art in Black and White 173,219 photos, 10,214 members
- The Light Painters Society 355,803 photos, 14,551 members
- ART-X 62,725 photos, 1,646 members
- It's Not The Tools... 14,487 photos, 1,136 members
- A different point of view - for photographers 106,172 photos, 3,395 members
- World of B&W + Sepia & other monochrome 443,432 photos, 17,078 members
- Art and Artists. 314,921 photos, 17,769 members
- artistic photos 125,307 photos, 5,964 members
- Photographic Art 117,839 photos, 4,807 members
- * Black * Black * Black * 58,694 photos, 2,699 members
- ART DISTRICT 447,444 photos, 16,718 members
Falling Thru The Lens says:
"Diane has a special relationship to the magic of light and a unique ability to reveal the unseen. Her photographs seem to radiate imagination! She also has a remarkable range of technical knowledge. I'm inspired by Diane's work both in the sense of being moved by it and in the sense of expanding the possibilities of my own work (for example, it's because of seeing her lumen prints that lumen printing is on my "must try" list). And Diane's comments are not only wonderfully supportive, but also reflect thoughtful engagement with the individual photograph. I appreciate Diane's presence on Flickr, and I always look forward to seeing her new work."
17th December, 2011
"I love b + w photos and I love the b + w photos of B&WPhotog (the color pics as well!). Not only are they beautiful, but this wonderful photographer and I see things in a similar way--and that's a good thing-because hers are better than mine! (He says immodestly!)"
22nd November, 2009
"Diane's photography shows how loved this woman is by her friends and people that are part of her life. Most of her portraits show how her viewfinder look doesn't stop to the skin of the subject, it goes beyond, deep inside what we could call the human soul. Her fine art works are examples of grace, understanding of aesthetic values and masterpieces of darkroom technique. Diane doesn't just photograph the world around her, it's the world that reveals to her. She is for me a model and gives me the strength to keep pursuing photography as a "way of life". Thank you Diane."
2nd June, 2009
- September 2007
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Diane Kaye Photography