What is passion? It is surely the becoming of a person. Are we not, for most of our lives, marking time? Most of our being is at rest, unlived...Passion is all that is other from self...unbearable does life seem without it.
My philosophy on photography...
Photography, for me, is not about copying the world. I’m not really interested in making an accurate copy of what I see out there. I think one of photography’s strongest elements is its ability to record a part of the world, but also to integrate with the individual photographer’s aesthetic sense.
The combined result is an interpretation – and the interpretation, I think, is what is interesting – when the subject goes through the filter of an individual human mind and emerges in a changed state – not the duplication or the recording of something. That’s the spirit of the artist, the spirit of the painter. - Micheal Kenna
Seeking the connection between the meaning of life and photography. The essence of photography is not about f-stops or shutter speeds, but rather a connective visual rhythm flowing through all human beings, like a heartbeat.
1st & 2nd place Kew Junction Photographic Competiton (2005), Melbourne
1st place, Flicky Award Excellence in Photography from Oceania/Australasia, 2005
Elements, Sept 9 2008, Maremagnum Shopping Center, Barcelona, Spain
From Web to Wall, 69Smith Street Gallery , Collingwood, 24 May to 11 June 2006, Australia
Kodak Salon 2006, Centre for Contemporary Photography, 19 May to 24 June 2006, Melbourne Australia
Works featured and clients
Afar Travel Magazine (USA)
Bauer Media Group (Germany)
Sonus Faber (Italy)
Adrienne DeLoe | Web & Graphic Design (USA)
Overseas Singaporean Unit , Prime Minister’s Office, (Singapore)
IMES Management AG (Zurich)
Four-Letter Word Design Consultants (UK)
Universidad Francisco de Vitoria (Madrid)
Friends of World Heritage, United Nations Foundation
The British Journal of Photography
Bending Light Magazine
Australian Digital Photography
Music video of Sydney songwriter, Peter Stein
For purchase of prints or other license inquiries, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Getty Stock Images
Some of my pictures are available through Getty Images
Producers, poets, writers, singers, artists, musicians, photographers, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you wish to collaborate on any projects.
Unless otherwise stated, I am the owner of the copyrights of the images
I'm a big fan of Haruki Murakami. If you like his books too, you're most welcomed to join a group I co-admin - Chasing Murakami Worlds
As featured in Jumper.it, an Italian digital web portal:
"He's Australian, is an economist, has a master in Computer Science. Except his origin (Australia is a very lively and creative country in photography, music, art), nothing makes us think about photography, but Simon Wong - Eyecatcher's his name as an artist - is one of the most beautiful discoveries of our research done through our Flickr Group. In his life he met the photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson and this definitely hit him and deeply influenced him: it made him understand that photography is not about technique, but instinct. We see with the eyes, but take photos with the heart.
A reflection, a shape, a colour, a perspective: Eyecatcher's images are pure intuition, often brilliant in their originality. His favourite subjects are nature and reflections... and in these reflections we've looked in like in a mirror: magic instants made of bright coincidences. Reflections, thoughts, emotions. To see, to touch. Life, light that make a detail alive and able to explode and reach everybody, able to escape from the sad and grey everyday life. And to stay as a strong and intense trace also when we turn the page, when we go further.
Eyecather catches the sun (the light) where nobody else find it, where nobody else see it. A precious quality, expecially when we're used to live in the dark, as it often happens." - www.jumper.it/simonwong/index.php?lang=ita
- Datsun 9,468 photos, 911 members
- Retro Japanese Cars 6,422 photos, 206 members
- Automotive Photography 232,528 photos, 1,961 members
- Cool Cars 581,719 photos, 9,091 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 1,018,022 photos, 21,053 members
- Food and Drink of Asia 47,217 photos, 2,308 members
- 1920 - 90 Vintage & Classic Japanese Vehicles 6,564 photos, 158 members
- Nissan Z 10,603 photos, 1,513 members
- Z cars 5,270 photos, 705 members
- Japanese Car Lover 47,704 photos, 1,833 members
- JAPANESE CLASSIC CARS 24,009 photos, 888 members
- Japanese Nostalgic Cars 10,061 photos, 292 members
- FUJIFILM X - Street Photography 32,702 photos, 758 members
- Fujifilm Folks 109,665 photos, 3,262 members
- Fuji XT1 1,428 photos, 118 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 306,062 photos, 10,454 members
- Fuji X-T1 Users 18,121 photos, 479 members
- ~DOG LOVERS~ 152,261 photos, 10,389 members
- Shiba Inu Owners 752 photos, 72 members
- My Shiba Inu 13,605 photos, 1,232 members
- Shiba Inu 11,766 photos, 831 members
- Travel Photojournalism 114,499 photos, 14,036 members
- * TRAVEL * (Please COMMENT with the CODE !) 381,648 photos, 9,646 members
- Taiwan Street Photography 49,670 photos, 4,570 members
- Taiwan Images 台灣映像 156,837 photos, 3,690 members
- Pictures of the World. 125,578 photos, 1,398 members
- The Apocalypse 9,680 photos, 915 members
- Travel photographs 2,213,371 photos, 48,673 members
- Travel and Escapades 343,966 photos, 8,805 members
- ROBOT 12,417 photos, 1,474 members
- ROBOTS: technology + pop culture 22,986 photos, 3,934 members
- Perfect Pastries 1,184 photos, 725 members
- Vintage Telephones 2,117 photos, 704 members
- Pet Portraiture 16,620 photos, 1,287 members
- Dog Days! 156,120 photos, 21,558 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,092,064 photos, 130,242 members
- Pug Life 14,535 photos, 1,804 members
- Mid Century Modern Furniture 4,664 photos, 245 members
- Italian lifestyle 2.0 12,453 photos, 3,694 members
- Italy 617,134 photos, 21,085 members
- All Photos X-Press Us (!!TAG!!) _Post 2 /Comment or invite 2 55,956 photos, 2,831 members
- MGB 1,566 photos, 92 members
- MG Cars 23,802 photos, 1,369 members
- Meerkats 13,382 photos, 2,770 members
- Murals and Mosaics 80,436 photos, 4,211 members
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 284 photos, 1,250 members
- stairs 51,311 photos, 7,039 members
- Stairs in Decay 10,716 photos, 1,238 members
- the wabi-sabi aesthetic 6,543 photos, 476 members
- San Francisco 287,507 photos, 15,608 members
Phil Finch says:
"I encountered one of eyecatcher's images by chance, and was stunned when I followed it over to his stream. It is an impressive body of work that includes some of the most emotionally penetrating images I've seen on flickr, or anywhere else. They are evocative and poignant and mysterious: always surprising, never obvious. His technique is excellent, but that's almost beside the point. With the best of his images -- and they are many "best" -- eyecatcher transcends craft. He is a true artist who paints as much with feeling as with light."
April 13th, 2008
"Consistently awe inspiring. If only I could copy his style, I would try. Technically perfect images combined with amazing composition and interesting meanings. A really unique contribution that I always look forward to viewing."
July 17th, 2005
"Capturing the essence of a particular moment in time, offering wonderful insights into how he works with his pictures and showing the most sensitive and perceptive of ideas - eyecatcher definitely lives up to his name. He continually impresses me with his range of photos and I can only aspire to be in the same league as his.
eyecatcher is an excellent and worthy contributor on flickr."
April 26th, 2005
"Eyecather's photographs are not about being pretty pictures (although they are often very beautiful) but about evoking emotion, mood or reflection. I'm often delighted and challenged by his photographs."
April 26th, 2005
Lorrie McClanahan says:
"Eyecatcher is certainly that. When adding a photo to a group we both belong to, his images have often reached out and grabbed me. Time and again I'm amazed at what his eye and camera combine to offer."
April 26th, 2005
- Simon Wong
- January 2005
- Melbourne, Singapore
- Melbourne, Australia
- I am:
- Freelance Photographer