Everytime I think of life - mine, of friends and family, other peoples stories, I remember this article. This was printed in "Dear Abby's" column, which was in dedication to parents and grandparents of all children who cope with disabilities.
Welcome to Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared the unique experience to understand it. It's like this:
When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You have a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The Colosseum. Michelangelo's "David." The gondolas of Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The flight attendant comes and says, "Welcome to Holland."
"Holland?" you say. "What do you mean? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place full of pestilence, famine, and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. You must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around, and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills, Holland has tulips, Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy, and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever go away, because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss.
But if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things about Holland.
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 102,640 photos, 4,894 members
- Fuji XT2 32,285 photos, 1,530 members
- X-T2 Fujifilm 17,977 photos, 922 members
- Critique 35,162 photos, 9,459 members
- San Francisco Photographers 421 photos, 109 members
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 21,992 photos, 1,719 members
- Photographer Paradise(Post 1/Award 5 ) 271,835 photos, 14,946 members
- National Geographic Group 985,303 photos, 30,643 members
- blurism 73,320 photos, 2,764 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 304,515 photos, 10,440 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 121,996 photos, 3,760 members
- japan-hopper 12,586 photos, 285 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 51,685 photos, 2,010 members
- Artistic Temperament Scavenger Hunt 3,259 photos, 145 members
- MACRO Desserts 7,429 photos, 752 members
- Nature HQ 5,434 photos, 26,309 members
- Fresh Flowers 4,966 photos, 206 members
- VSCO Film 192,715 photos, 8,442 members
- Finepix X100 and X100s 166,533 photos, 4,846 members
- Top 20 Blue's Winning Shots: INVITE ONLY 2,783 photos, 2,089 members
- Abstract Reality 196,978 photos, 8,642 members
- !* Dagmar's ✤ Exclusive Flower Paradise ✿ONLY FLOWERS! 45,454 photos, 2,727 members
- Fuji Digital Camera Users 272,138 photos, 6,207 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 232,214 photos, 5,203 members
- Art Directory 184,224 photos, 17,082 members
- haphazart! Abstractions 119,949 photos, 3,928 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Minimalism *OPEN* 4,566,098 photos, 122,488 members
- small object 31,932 photos, 952 members
- FlickrCentral 9,326,207 photos, 284,563 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,383,355 photos, 187,266 members
- National Geographic | World Wide 1,530,520 photos, 40,242 members
- The Human Element 150,588 photos, 4,176 members
- Murals of Oakland 4,736 photos, 159 members
- San Francisco Photo Guild 55,498 photos, 3,815 members
- Landscape photography 2,346,874 photos, 94,415 members
- Flower Close-Ups 1,118,030 photos, 62,189 members
- Dynamic Auto Painter 5,266 photos, 418 members
- Secret Life of Plants 322,650 photos, 38,245 members
- Perfect Petals - P1/A3- No Bugs or Man Made Objects ✿ 225,836 photos, 10,636 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 373,864 photos, 23,790 members
- Conceptual photography 491,651 photos, 21,082 members
- in explore 1,072,724 photos, 87,247 members
- Contemporary Architecture 233,092 photos, 10,538 members
- nature and photography 1,987,464 photos, 83,700 members
- Flower Flower Flower 1,117,641 photos, 70,264 members
- The Street Photography Community 1,349,913 photos, 47,216 members
- Photos of Fujifilm X100, X100S, X100T, X100F 1,087 photos, 1,177 members
- Fuji x100s 146,422 photos, 7,309 members
- Black and White 6,781,305 photos, 362,103 members
- Adobe Lightroom 59,053 photos, 26,698 members
avrene doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Sonny Abesamis
- November 2006
- Oakland, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Web Developer