Everytime I think of life - mine, of friends and family, other peoples stories, I remember this article. This was printed in "Dear Abby's" column, which was in dedication to parents and grandparents of all children who cope with disabilities.
Welcome to Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared the unique experience to understand it. It's like this:
When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You have a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The Colosseum. Michelangelo's "David." The gondolas of Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The flight attendant comes and says, "Welcome to Holland."
"Holland?" you say. "What do you mean? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place full of pestilence, famine, and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. You must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around, and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills, Holland has tulips, Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy, and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever go away, because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss.
But if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things about Holland.
Photos of avrene (2)
- San Francisco Photographers 319 photos, 67 members
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 19,994 photos, 1,703 members
- Photographer Paradise(Post 1/Award 5 ) 271,399 photos, 15,021 members
- National Geographic Group 873,046 photos, 27,806 members
- blurism 74,801 photos, 2,703 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 283,728 photos, 10,228 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 115,445 photos, 3,587 members
- japan-hopper 10,871 photos, 270 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 46,180 photos, 1,857 members
- Artistic Temperament Scavenger Hunt 3,000 photos, 141 members
- MACRO Desserts 5,904 photos, 687 members
- Origins - Stunning Nature 2,318 photos, 26,275 members
- Fresh Flowers 4,722 photos, 207 members
- VSCO Film 184,545 photos, 8,288 members
- Finepix X100 and X100s 165,837 photos, 4,912 members
- Abstract Reality 179,526 photos, 8,111 members
- !* Dagmar's ✤ Exclusive Flower Paradise ✿winners announced! 43,790 photos, 2,694 members
- Fuji Digital Camera Users 250,130 photos, 5,956 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 222,307 photos, 5,295 members
- Art Directory 185,882 photos, 16,990 members
- haphazart! Abstractions 117,053 photos, 3,891 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Portraits *OPEN* 4,593,942 photos, 121,193 members
- small object 31,506 photos, 947 members
- FlickrCentral 9,324,332 photos, 274,151 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,416,159 photos, 181,051 members
- National Geographic | World Wide 1,269,976 photos, 35,897 members
- The Human Element 141,639 photos, 4,109 members
- Murals of Oakland 4,653 photos, 161 members
- San Francisco Photo Guild 50,988 photos, 3,581 members
- Landscape photography 2,059,669 photos, 86,739 members
- Flower Close-Ups 1,135,765 photos, 62,251 members
- Dynamic Auto Painter 8,345 photos, 412 members
- Secret Life of Plants 312,469 photos, 37,594 members
- Perfect Petals - P1/A3- No Bugs or Man Made Objects ✿ 225,885 photos, 10,698 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 367,553 photos, 24,133 members
- Conceptual photography 487,884 photos, 21,148 members
- in explore 920,228 photos, 76,901 members
- Contemporary Architecture 221,990 photos, 10,401 members
- nature and photography 1,760,502 photos, 77,016 members
- Flower Flower Flower 984,133 photos, 65,044 members
- The Real Street Photography 1,477,536 photos, 44,844 members
- Photos of Fujifilm X100, X100S, X100T, X100F 1,101 photos, 1,075 members
- Fuji x100s 145,419 photos, 7,432 members
- Black and White 6,835,425 photos, 358,030 members
- Adobe Lightroom 50,241 photos, 26,654 members
- Lightroom Showcase 88,647 photos, 3,364 members
- 4/3 Photography 95,562 photos, 1,945 members
- Fabulous Foliage -- No flowers as main theme 70,376 photos, 4,712 members
- Lego Creations and Non Lego Models 5,752 photos, 145 members
- Flower Beauty ! 125,470 photos, 4,911 members
avrene doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Sonny Abesamis
- November 2006
- Oakland, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Web Developer