Everytime I think of life - mine, of friends and family, other peoples stories, I remember this article. This was printed in "Dear Abby's" column, which was in dedication to parents and grandparents of all children who cope with disabilities.
Welcome to Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared the unique experience to understand it. It's like this:
When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You have a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The Colosseum. Michelangelo's "David." The gondolas of Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The flight attendant comes and says, "Welcome to Holland."
"Holland?" you say. "What do you mean? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place full of pestilence, famine, and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. You must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around, and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills, Holland has tulips, Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy, and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever go away, because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss.
But if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things about Holland.
Photos of avrene (2)
- San Francisco Photographers 319 photos, 67 members
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 19,685 photos, 1,690 members
- Photographer Paradise(Post 1/Award 5 ) 271,325 photos, 15,027 members
- National Geographic Group 867,786 photos, 27,684 members
- blurism 74,598 photos, 2,697 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 281,858 photos, 10,182 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 115,112 photos, 3,582 members
- japan-hopper 10,662 photos, 268 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 45,736 photos, 1,853 members
- Artistic Temperament Scavenger Hunt 2,993 photos, 141 members
- MACRO Desserts 5,791 photos, 687 members
- Origins - Stunning Nature 2,318 photos, 26,280 members
- Fresh Flowers 4,714 photos, 207 members
- VSCO Film 184,228 photos, 8,282 members
- Finepix X100 and X100s 165,420 photos, 4,910 members
- Abstract Reality 178,528 photos, 8,089 members
- !* Dagmar's ✤ Exclusive Flower Paradise ✿winners announced! 43,745 photos, 2,700 members
- Fuji Digital Camera Users 248,500 photos, 5,946 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 221,530 photos, 5,297 members
- Art Directory 185,932 photos, 16,951 members
- haphazart! Abstractions 116,759 photos, 3,890 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Portraits *OPEN* 4,590,096 photos, 121,081 members
- small object 31,369 photos, 947 members
- FlickrCentral 9,328,197 photos, 273,642 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,412,910 photos, 180,634 members
- National Geographic | World Wide 1,260,656 photos, 35,687 members
- The Human Element 141,027 photos, 4,102 members
- Murals of Oakland 4,636 photos, 160 members
- San Francisco Photo Guild 50,593 photos, 3,572 members
- Landscape photography 2,043,682 photos, 86,260 members
- Flower Close-Ups 1,135,839 photos, 62,256 members
- Dynamic Auto Painter 8,319 photos, 410 members
- Secret Life of Plants 311,622 photos, 37,545 members
- Perfect Petals - P1/A3- No Bugs or Man Made Objects ✿ 225,904 photos, 10,704 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 366,900 photos, 24,125 members
- Conceptual photography 487,795 photos, 21,138 members
- in explore 909,854 photos, 76,266 members
- Contemporary Architecture 221,714 photos, 10,395 members
- nature and photography 1,749,827 photos, 76,669 members
- Flower Flower Flower 980,001 photos, 64,832 members
- The Real Street Photography 1,479,185 photos, 44,707 members
- Photos of Fujifilm X100, X100S, X100T, X100F 1,101 photos, 1,061 members
- Fuji x100s 145,076 photos, 7,432 members
- Black and White 6,834,073 photos, 357,657 members
- Adobe Lightroom 49,806 photos, 26,632 members
- Lightroom Showcase 88,294 photos, 3,367 members
- 4/3 Photography 94,878 photos, 1,944 members
- Fabulous Foliage -- No flowers as main theme 69,347 photos, 4,663 members
- Lego Creations and Non Lego Models 5,717 photos, 144 members
- Flower Beauty ! 125,015 photos, 4,908 members
avrene doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Sonny Abesamis
- November 2006
- Oakland, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Web Developer