If you want to use any of my photos for your blog or Facebook page, please ask first; and always link back to the original. I'm reasonably generous.
When I was younger, my grandfather would give me his old Popular Photography magazines. I loved leafing through them, and aside from the occasional nude, what struck me most was how pretentious and way too serious a lot of the photographers seemed to be. Always posing with their gear, and nary a smile...
I have nothing against good or even great photography. But what I love most is coming across someone for whom photography tells a story, and preferably, their story. Someone who shoots for the sheer joy of it, who understands that mistakes frequently do not matter, someone who prefers a good laugh over professional adulation.
perfection is boring...
"Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man."
"There is no reciprocity. Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters."
-Alice Thomas Ellis
- X100F 21,720 photos, 1,995 members
- Carolina Renaissance Festival 2,222 photos, 161 members
- New York Renaissance Faire 6,670 photos, 189 members
- Just Pirates 6,781 photos, 1,139 members
- Nik HDR Efex Pro 12,590 photos, 894 members
- Georgia Renaissance Festival 1,621 photos, 88 members
- everything is broken 160 photos, 28 members
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX Enthusiast Compacts 37,033 photos, 2,333 members
- Fairies & Angels 3,809 photos, 1,350 members
- Pennyslvania Renaissance Faire-Images and Memories 3,138 photos, 100 members
- Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival 233 photos, 28 members
- "Dreams of flying" inspired by Jan von Holleben 103 photos, 150 members
- iPhone 365 200,115 photos, 5,334 members
- PictureShow 7,493 photos, 456 members
- iPhoneography 441,949 photos, 13,284 members
- Tamron 17-50 97,892 photos, 5,887 members
- Hipstamatic 317,218 photos, 16,336 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 514,818 photos, 10,935 members
- Carnegie Mellon - Campus Tour 33 photos, 12 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 333,176 photos, 16,602 members
- Rosco Strobist Photos 898 photos, 335 members
- Looking Into the Past 3,052 photos, 4,111 members
- My Desk 6,533 photos, 4,679 members
- The Portrait Group 3,075,903 photos, 166,290 members
- Lo-mob 11,129 photos, 1,041 members
- Lightzone 6,617 photos, 590 members
- Noise and Dust Through The Viewfinder 172 photos, 4,263 members
- Textures for Layers 14,929 photos, 16,310 members
- Mask Portraits and Self-Portraits 1,299 photos, 1,140 members
- Alien Bees 66,776 photos, 7,325 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 450 members
- Pittsburgh Graffiti 1,136 photos, 142 members
- Ice is nice! 55,425 photos, 7,816 members
- Lookin' Like Lincoln 33 photos, 44 members
- [CameraBag] 32,510 photos, 2,266 members
- Stuff on my head 336 photos, 44 members
- Pittsburgh Strobist 958 photos, 130 members
- The Mighty Boosh 264 photos, 159 members
- Star Wars 72,860 photos, 6,638 members
- Kennywood 1,111 photos, 189 members
- Kilted Life - A Celebration ! 20,434 photos, 2,539 members
- Beyond Tradition 1,388 photos, 208 members
- Carnegie Museums 460 photos, 59 members
- Wedding Photography 260,801 photos, 52,757 members
- Fauxtobooth 1,096 photos, 442 members
- Through the Viewfinder 59,297 photos, 6,951 members
- utilikilts 1,693 photos, 570 members
- 100 Strangers 49,668 photos, 11,782 members
- Photographic Possibilities 46,651 photos, 1,829 members
- Damn Hell Bathrooms 4,257 photos, 947 members
"elston is, unequivocally, the King of the one-liner."
January 26th, 2007
defeated library says:
"I heard someone say that through Flickr, they’ve met better quality people in the last year than they had in the past several. I would say that this definitely applies to Chuck. Since getting to know him, the music I listen has gotten better, I've seen better movies, I eat brunch more often, I’ve gained a better understanding of what icing is, and I general, I have more fun. If that isn’t a great thing, then I don’t know what is."
August 24th, 2006
"life lessons inspired by chuck --
-- jump for joy often and snap others that do with jedi-like timing
-- men should wear kilts
-- it's keen to know who farted
-- one person's junk can be an awesome photo find
-- a Penn State alum and a Nebraskan can discuss football (and then hug)
-- always bring a hula-hoop to parties
-- skip lightly, carry a tiny cam, and get a fantastic shot every time
-- hockey is life
-- and know where the chips are so you can steal them
there's no room for hair because he knows EVERYTHING!
storage space must be an issue.
great friends make you laugh --
chuck makes me laugh.
July 20th, 2006
Box of Light says:
"Hear ye, Hear ye:
If there was such a thing as my "most favorited"-est flickrer, elston would be mine.
(take note, i'm not talking about elston favoriting my photos the most--although he should, and so should you--i'm talking about He's. MY. favorite. y'heard?)
maybe the "most interestingness" of all my flickr pals, too.
hey people, anything's possible..."
February 22nd, 2006
Rob Lee says:
"It is all Chuck's fault! Everything! He got me hooked on Flickr like a bad drug. I recommend adding Chuck (aka Elston) as a contact - he's got a good steady stream of interesting shots. Keep 'em coming Chuck."
August 18th, 2005
"I believe the following things about this guy named Elston to be true (but don't take my word for it cause I have been known to be completely wrong about some things):
--he invented collage
--he makes daily life in and around Pittsburgh look practically exciting.
--he shaves his head
--he's got a sharp eye and an even sharper mind
--he is very very punny
--he's the tiger woods of frisbee golf
--he's a levitation expert (both literally and figuratively)
--he can play poker but he doesn't know how to row a boat
--good guys like him are very hard to find"
June 30th, 2005
charming icicle says:
"~as a fellow Pittsburgh I am constantly impressed with what I see from elston, he presents me with views of the city (that I call home) that I have to discover for myself...~"
June 30th, 2005
"Elston's head sports a smooth and stylish exterior, not unlike a cartoon bomb.
Elston's head sports a vast, intricate, unexpected, and explosive interior, not unlike a cartoon bomb.
When Elston's head explodes, not unlike a cartoon bomb, those in the general vicinity may experience some abnormal visual effects, temporary muteness, stoppage of breath, and tingling within the extremities.
Thankfully, Elston has seen fit to record a small fraction of the evidentiary history of these explosions within this photographic log.
Please note that, besides the above-mentioned short-term side effects, perusal of these images may incur long-lasting, chronic after-effects.
June 15th, 2005
"elston is awesome!
say it with me, now:
elston. is. awesome!"
March 20th, 2005
"Elston's a real "slice of life" kind of guy. No flash, no glamor, just raw and real images of the world around him. He captures those everyday moments beautifully. And I'd jump my scrawny ass in the air any day if he's the one taking the shot."
November 19th, 2004
- October 2004
- State College, PA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Manager