I am a keen photographer interested in (probably) too many areas such as photography, computing ,model engineering modelrailways,good science fiction, art, writing and travel. I use a Fuji S95000 finepix digital camera for a lot of my photographs and have just purchased a small Olympus FE-120 as a carry around camera. Quite a few of the photos on this site were taken with my Motorola mobile phone. (which I chose because it had the best camera).
I like meeting people and debating issues, I love flikr as I have 000s of pictures that I will enjoy sharing with you all out there. My recent purchase of a slide/negative scanner means there is a deluge coming so watch this space. I live with my partner in Brighton, UK. This eccentric, quirky city exactly complements my personality which is why I love it here.
You can find out more about me here
And elsie! My name is Les Chatfield= L C
Get it. My former name was Les2001 which was a bit meaningless unless you knew my number one film of all time was . . . .2001 a Space Odyssey!
www.jaxtr.com/lezz2001 to contact me!
Incidentally should you wish to use my photographs you may do so f.o.c PROVIDING you acredit them to me using my name AND NOT MY FLIKR NAME! This is important as Mr elsie is unknown outside the flikr "club". Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide me with full details of the image you require and its intended use.However should the image be required for commercial gain then a limited or full use licence must be obtain from me.Thank you.
- D Wickham & Co. Ltd - Railway Vehicles 1,581 photos, 46 members
- Brighton and Hove ROUTE 1 998 photos, 15 members
- Buses in detail 635 photos, 23 members
- Transport In The Frame 551,202 photos, 2,178 members
- CANALMANIA 26,477 photos, 1,035 members
- Worldwide Air Transport 48,040 photos, 449 members
- VILLAGES 3 18,349 photos, 825 members
- Ruins and Rust~(NO PEOPLE) 33,333 photos, 1,922 members
- Radial Engines 2,901 photos, 99 members
- Scrap vehicles R.I.P. (Rust In Peace) 6,798 photos, 87 members
- Double, Triple, and Quadruple Expansion Steam Engines 11 photos, 3 members
- Project Weather 635,691 photos, 90,800 members
- Crossness Engines Trust 407 photos, 34 members
- On Myford lathes 7 photos, 2 members
- A Personal Viewpoint 69,372 photos, 625 members
- Bulleid Southern Railway 4DD EMU's 99 photos, 10 members
- Apple iPad Photos 1,956 photos, 304 members
- British Cars Photography 78,481 photos, 2,779 members
- #T3Photoshoot 288 photos, 325 members
- Staplehurst, Kent 109 photos, 8 members
- Outboard boat motors 796 photos, 157 members
- Meccano aircraft 27 photos, 3 members
- Aircraft Images - Atmospheric Only 15,112 photos, 408 members
- Austin Seven 2,223 photos, 148 members
- Small Motorbikes 7,052 photos, 738 members
- All Beetles Great and Small 3,159 photos, 142 members
- Diesels in detail 195 photos, 7 members
- British Diesel & Electric Trains 160,012 photos, 624 members
- Rolling stock in detail 172 photos, 18 members
- Steam Locomotives in Detail 2,848 photos, 80 members
- Science, Technology, History 45,351 photos, 1,387 members
- ANYTHING Transportation Related (Cars, Airplanes, Bicycles etc.) 221,582 photos, 1,098 members
- The Red Arrows, The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team 11,223 photos, 1,753 members
- The Great Gerry Anderson And Our Memories Of The Man 681 photos, 57 members
- Industrial & Estate Narrow Gauge Railways 3,539 photos, 97 members
- Meccano Magazine 376 photos, 4 members
- British Railway Signalling Equipment 714 photos, 45 members
- Together: humans, animals or insects in the same pic 48,925 photos, 1,979 members
- Old Digital Cameras 362 photos, 86 members
- FlickrExport Users 4,245 photos, 179 members
- Anti Gravity 15,412 photos, 1,280 members
- N gauge rolling stock 292 photos, 36 members
- Electric Railways 48,416 photos, 348 members
- Manchester, UK 194,154 photos, 6,550 members
- Fairey Gannet 272 photos, 26 members
- S.S.Shieldhall 1,375 photos, 35 members
- Network SouthEast DC-EMUs 619 photos, 40 members
- Meccano Models 120 photos, 15 members
- Royal Navy Historic Flight 955 photos, 99 members
- Men...every one different. 76,186 photos, 6,104 members
"Les has one of the most interesting collection of photos on Flickr. The quality is always good, whether it is a model bus, landscape, or part of a machine."
November 29th, 2009
"I've been looking through Les's pictures, and i have to say what an easy cool they have about them. They look, though i'm sure they were not, almost effortless.
Like snapshots that just came out perfectly, though clearly, this work here is more than simple snaps, these photographs have that effortless glide and appeal that allows them a certain lack of pretense which is key to their success. They seem real, not overly contrived, and inherent in that is part of their value.
See the piers, how they are depicted, so fragile and graceful on their stilt-like legs, the grand old ballroom ontop a monument to time and we know, sadly, that one day, time will reclaim these great things and take them to the sea.
Even the old changing houses along the beach front - how i remember those as a child when we used to go to Brighton or South End back when i was in the U.K..
Les brings back all of those memories for me, and more, is able to convey the complexities and beautiful things about our country to those who are not there or perhaps have never been or never been to those parts.
The waves crashing over the seawall, the animals lolly-gagging about in the sunshine, all add to the sense of ease that many of these photos have and they remind us not only of the beauty of those days gone by and how perhaps we have lost them now forever or soon will, for the sea and time will take them, but also that our own memory often fails us. Photographs like these are a real value because they DO withstand the test of time and give us something more permanent. One senses that these photos will be here long after the buildings themselves or the particular moment captured on film is gone.
If every photo is worth a thousand words, then these are worth a novel each, for they each tell me part of a sort of secret history that can be shared by two people from the same country and more, if the photographer wishes as clearly he does, a history and a life that can be shared so beautifully with the rest of the world.
A great photographer and humble with no pretense or nonsense here. This is the real deal and worthy of any gallery wall or perhaps more imporantly to me, anyway, worthy of any real home's wall where the photo would sit framed on the mantle in a house by the sea. What higher praise could there be than that - i would take these into my home.
July 10th, 2005
Brave Heart says:
"It seems everytime I need to better understand the use of light I go to see what Les2001 has to offer. He just is a master at letting light work with and for him. I just want to thank him for sharing so much with all of us, Thanks Brave Heart."
April 6th, 2005
- Les Chatfield
- January 2005
- Brighton, England
- I am:
- Male and Open
- Maintenance manager
- elsie esq.