I’m an outdoor photographer originally from Scotland but now living on the outskirts of the Peak District National Park in the UK. I am also husband to an awesome wife and father to a gorgeous and hilarious young daughter.
I call myself an outdoor photographer. I could otherwise be called a landscape photographer or, rather excitingly, an adventure photographer. I’m less concerned with putting myself in a box and more about putting myself outside with a camera in my hand!
Photography is my passion and I love being in the outdoors often creating serene and tranquil images as a quiet repost to the hectic world we live in. Hopefully they convey the sense of peace, freedom and wonder I find when I’m alone in the wild.
As a boy growing up in the Scottish Borders I was enthralled by computers more than the beautiful world around me. I pursued that passion and studied Software Engineering in Manchester before moving to London in 1999 to take up a job as a software developer. I returned to the North West in 2007 when my company opened a new office in Salford. This coincided with my 30th birthday, my marriage to my wife several months later and also with developing a passion for photography. Quite a busy period!
My father and grandfather had always been photographers but for whatever reason I shunned it. I wasn’t particularly creative either musically or artistically at school, and those lessons clashed with my more proficient classes in computing studies, maths and physics. As much as I consider software development to be as much art as science, it felt that creativity was for other people.
During my late 20s I started using point and shoots then bridge cameras as I started to explore the world more widely. This ignited something in me, slow at first, during what I like to think as a period of “waking up”, being less of a young man intent on chasing enjoyment in its less desirable forms and becoming more aware of the world, his place in it and his legacy. In preparation for a trip to Iceland – a place that I love dearly – as a 30th birthday present from my parents in 2007 I picked up my first DSLR (Canon 400D). I think this was the start of me saying “I no longer want to be a consumer and destroyer of things, I want to be a creator”.
Since that point I have developed my photography with an ever growing passion and fervour. I love being in the field making images, in beautiful and often peaceful surroundings in all manner of weather. My heart literally skips when the conditions are right, when I see something I am attracted to. I want to translate what I see but, more importantly, what I feel into an image that conveys that earthy isolation. And even when things don’t work out photography-wise I have still spent several hours exposed to nature where I feel a strangely enthralling yet calming sensation.
I’m now at a point where, in my own eyes at least, my work is reasonably accomplished. That’s not to say that I feel I’ve reached the destination in my journey. In more ways than one my journey has just begun. But I believe I’m now able to capture and present images that continue to move me after the event.
So despite my “non-creative” beginnings I feel I’ve found a creative side to me, one that I enjoy immensely and have a desire and confidence to share. Ultimately I think we are all creative and all have a gift to share. This gift is often represesed either by others or even more often by ourselves. We just need to dig, uncover and share it with the world.
Prints of all of my images are available for purchase on my website: www.duncanfawkes.com
Come and visit my blog!
All images are copyright © Duncan Fawkes 2012
- Landscape Photography Magazine 92,140 photos, 14,669 members
- New South Wales 54,942 photos, 1,233 members
- My Australia 256,886 photos, 4,063 members
- Flickr Australia 553,693 photos, 8,279 members
- Australia in Black & White 58,453 photos, 3,356 members
- UK Fine Art Landscape Photography (Invited) 18,321 photos, 576 members
- On Landscape 123,673 photos, 2,694 members
- Sunset And Sunrise Over Water In The UK. 46,378 photos, 4,959 members
- UK's Landscape & Seascape Photographers 80,223 photos, 2,108 members
- Landscape Masterclass 2,316 photos, 664 members
- B/W Landscapes 14,636 photos, 3,388 members
- 100 + Viewed Natural Landscapes (add1, com.1) Break Rules = Ban 37,845 photos, 3,674 members
- Landscapes of Australia (Natural Inland) 52,423 photos, 3,804 members
- Small Landscape 5,150 photos, 432 members
- Dreamy Landscapes (Editors' choice) 25,920 photos, 4,494 members
- Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Photographers 30,223 photos, 220 members
- Flickr Nottingham Exhibition - Connected 11 photos, 164 members
- Northumberland 27,061 photos, 1,653 members
- Natural Landscapes 18,337 photos, 4,870 members
- Landscape Critique Circle 50 photos, 74 members
- Your Very Best 98,089 photos, 2,692 members
- British Photographers 506,925 photos, 5,211 members
- British National Parks 64,458 photos, 1,755 members
- Your Peak District Experience 24,405 photos, 460 members
- Professional landscapes 407,530 photos, 12,003 members
- Landscape Exhibition 39,260 photos, 26,628 members
- Landscape Exploration 254,863 photos, 11,306 members
- Beautiful Waterfalls From Around The World 48,554 photos, 5,698 members
- Waterfalls 199,888 photos, 22,768 members
- Waterfalls of the Uk 22,226 photos, 2,371 members
- The Art of Landscape Composition, UK 530 photos, 116 members
- Beautiful Britain 151,639 photos, 1,448 members
- The Lake District UK 97,008 photos, 7,540 members
- Glossop 2,065 photos, 85 members
- Great British Landscapes (No buildings, boats, people or animals 66,490 photos, 3,679 members
- Isle of Skye 25,911 photos, 2,797 members
- Scottish Landscapes 107,138 photos, 4,341 members
- SCOTLAND'S LANDSCAPES 83,539 photos, 6,150 members
- Scotland in the Gloaming 19,242 photos, 1,666 members
- Scotland in Picture 371,299 photos, 8,313 members
- Peak District Scenes 33,084 photos, 913 members
- *Inspirational Travel Photos 996,002 photos, 15,666 members
- The Photo Critique Forum 22,710 photos, 3,644 members
- Best Sunrise and Sunset 58,313 photos, 3,452 members
- The British Countryside 519,621 photos, 9,507 members
- Derbyshire 95,956 photos, 1,860 members
- Images Of England 173,769 photos, 3,277 members
- UK Landscapes, Sea and Country. 379,458 photos, 9,117 members
- North Wales, UK 74,808 photos, 1,329 members
- Iceland. 231,471 photos, 9,891 members
Duncan Fawkes doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Duncan Fawkes
- August 2007
- Hadfield, United Kingdom
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Software Development Manager
- Duncan Fawkes Photography