Yikes - Describe myself? Tall and uncoordinated, though a surprisingly good dancer are the things that come to mind first. In terms of photography, I would describe myself as a rank amateur whose enthusiasm, desire to learn and good intentions hopefully make up for what I don't know about photography.
I'm really passionate about birds, notably hawks and falcons. Trying to get a good shot of a raptor can be both humbling and rewarding, usually the former and less often the latter. I recently had a near-religious experience at an open house at the Santa Rosa (CA) Bird Rescue Center. I was so engrossed by these beautiful birds (and the opportunity to be so close to them) that on more than one occasion I found myself standing there, index finger motionless on the shutter button, mouth agape, forgetting to take the pictures.
I also enjoy taking pictures of cars at cruises and car shows. I find myself gravitating towards the Mopar stuff and I also seem to try to take shots of a car's main distinguishing features rather than take pictures of the whole car, not sure why.
I also have found that I really enjoy doing selective coloring on alot of my pictures. While I generally attempt to do as little Photoshopping of my pictures as possible, for whatever reason I really found other people's selective coloring shots to be very striking and wanted to try it for myself. Initially I tended to really try to make the colors I kept very vivid for the sake of contrast but have found that in most cases, muting the remaining color a bit seems to make for a more pleasant shot. And when I started, I found that I would just look at my pictures when I get home and thing "hey, that might be a good candidate for selective coloring" but as I have gotten more into it, I find myself taking pictures specifically with the intent of deleting all the colors but one when I get home. I am sure there are purists who probably think of selective coloring as being gimmicky but fortunately, I'm too ignorant to be one of them!
As for the camera gear, I am the (fairly) new and ecstatic owner of a Sony Alpha A350 DSLR. I bought it in part due to my large, clumsy hands - I had planned on buying a Canon XSi but it felt too small in my hands. I liked that the Alpha series cameras felt big, substantial and heavy. I also loved the fact that the A350 was compatible with the old Minolta Maxxum AF lenses. In fact, after I decided on getting the A350, I bought
way the hell too many several Maxxum lenses before I even had a camera to put them on! This camera has not disappointed and was worth every penny. My favorite lenses are the 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 and the 100-200mm f4.5, though I have been using the 50mm f1.7 prime and the 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 alot as well. I use a Bogen Manfrotto 3018 monopod with a 234RC swivel head and recently bought a Giottos GB4180 tripod and a Bogen Manfrotto 3055 ball head in the hopes of taking some panorama shots of beautiful Sonoma County. I lug all my stuff around in a Kata R-102 backpack which I just love, though with the A350, the monopod and the 6 lenses I usually carry, it does get pretty heavy!
- British Cars Photography 142,404 photos, 3,026 members
- Prop Shots 1,112 photos, 154 members
- Birds 1,105,760 photos, 21,391 members
- Northern California Photography 200,243 photos, 5,459 members
- hood ornaments 12,216 photos, 848 members
- Oligochrome 5,497 photos, 491 members
- α - Sony Alpha Cameras 1,012,541 photos, 23,103 members
- Gold Star Awards 773,855 photos, 48,932 members
- Paul Reed Smith 304 photos, 103 members
- Dragonfly Awards * Post1 - Award 3 * *Sweeper Active* 647,080 photos, 24,573 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 485,535 photos, 63,610 members
- V.I.P - Very Important PHOTOS 135,626 photos, 6,649 members
- Sonoma County, California 24,582 photos, 1,108 members
- Black and White and Color 88,933 photos, 4,833 members
- Fun with B&W Selective Coloring! 11,881 photos, 1,680 members
- Selective Colors 47,172 photos, 6,401 members
- Sony DSLR / SLT (alpha mount ) 597,368 photos, 9,964 members
- My Meme 1,238 photos, 453 members
- NO VIDEO ON FLICKR!!! 64,145 photos, 9,349 members
- Panasonic FZ7 Users Group 29,311 photos, 818 members
- The Red Sox Nation 11,982 photos, 1,321 members
Says Whom doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Scott Dunham
- June 2006
- Santa Rosa, CA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- This Film Coater