Greetings... I'm 69 years old and live with my wife, Mary, and our four dogs in Anchorage, Alaska. We've lived here for 26+ years now.
My main interests are environmental issues, wildlife and wild lands conservation, radical political philosophy, photography, videography, dogs, and pretty much anything related to dogs, and computers (mostly as related to photography and video processing), and exploring wilderness areas, and observing and photographing wild animals (when I can find them!).
Please feel free to download and use my photographs in any way you wish... you don't need permission from me. If someone can use my photographs that would be terrific!
Take care, Doug Brown.
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,035,854 photos, 129,774 members
- - Lise´s Friends - L1 10,721 photos, 902 members
- !WORLD OF ANIMALS! (Post 1 and Comment 1 or more) 121,192 photos, 6,367 members
- I love my Lensbaby 9,475 photos, 712 members
- Tamron 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD for Nikon 3,740 photos, 105 members
- NATURE RULES!!! 313,583 photos, 5,867 members
- National Geographic Wild Life 464,416 photos, 9,847 members
- Digital Artistry 12,277 photos, 447 members
- FISH EYE VISIONS 26,758 photos, 2,330 members
- Samyang 50,184 photos, 3,561 members
- Flickriver 240,178 photos, 3,296 members
- Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR DI VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens 4,778 photos, 302 members
- Nikon D600/D610 CLUB 434,559 photos, 13,502 members
- NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED F1.8 F1.8G 1,728 photos, 281 members
- Sony α7R II (ILCE-7RM2, A7R II, A7R mark II) 7,510 photos, 425 members
- Panoramas - Panoramiques 107,049 photos, 10,001 members
- Tokina Lenses - Official Tag Required 47,239 photos, 2,812 members
- Nature of the World Unlimited (9000+ Invite your friends!) 658,094 photos, 12,950 members
- Nature and Animals (Wild Only) 235,364 photos, 12,306 members
- wilderness experiences 3,586 photos, 257 members
- Green is Beautiful 784,031 photos, 87,637 members
- PANASONIC LUMIX FZ100 - FZ 150 - FZ 200 - FZ1000 - FZ300 - FZ200 61,103 photos, 1,272 members
- Panasonic ZS100 / TZ100 / TZ110 1,061 photos, 126 members
- Sony RX100 (All Versions) 174,006 photos, 8,869 members
- Tamron Lenses - Official Tag Required 115,826 photos, 3,738 members
- Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM 155,633 photos, 3,818 members
- Canon EOS 7D + Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 49,085 photos, 2,303 members
- Olympus E-xxx Users 170,759 photos, 5,763 members
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 85,165 photos, 5,286 members
- Sony E-mount Shot (ILCE Camera) 54,376 photos, 2,214 members
- Canon EOS 5DS and 5DSR Owners Photographs 15,430 photos, 713 members
- Canon EOS 5D mark iii - Post 2, Comm 2 19,296 photos, 876 members
- Sony a7 & a7R (ILCE-7 & ILCE-7R) 126,638 photos, 3,975 members
- Nikon D600/D610/D800/D800E/D4/D4s/Nikon Df CLUB COLLECTIONS 31,542 photos, 702 members
- Best VIDEOS on Flickr! 23,539 photos, 6,893 members
- Videos on Flickr 35,884 photos, 20,749 members
- Fotodiox Pro 7,762 photos, 851 members
- Alaska Shutterbugz 36,391 photos, 1,478 members
- VOICES IN THE WILDERNESS: A Prayer for Wild Things 94,505 photos, 3,519 members
- Wilderness Dogs 2,525 photos, 397 members
- Nature 3,160,279 photos, 97,691 members
- Dogsites - Dedicated to Dogs! 11,095 photos, 362 members
- Canon EOS 1DX / 1DC 42,777 photos, 1,212 members
- Sony Cyber-shot RX 155,799 photos, 4,088 members
- Sony RX10 III 3,503 photos, 274 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 871,490 photos, 27,095 members
- Nikon D500 Users 4,140 photos, 408 members
- 1" Sensors 62,267 photos, 913 members
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 540,371 photos, 15,615 members
- Long Exposure Junkies 7,732 photos, 9,478 members
Ania Dembny says:
"Well - this is the long, long, long overdue testimonial for Doug.
Every week when I log into Flickr his work is amongst the top few streams that I can't wait to view. His work is not only the most beautiful it is also technically superb - The fact that he not only takes the time to comment on my work but also encourages me with his kind words is an honour. Anyone can comment on a picture, but to have someone of Doug's caliber comment on mine is mind blowing and I bow down to your work sir - it is A M A Z I N G!!!!!!"
March 17th, 2013
"I really enjoy Doug's photos. So many varieties of wild life, and of course the stories of Harry. But what I enjoy the most is the narratives that he put on each and every photo. Not only they are very informative, they are also very entertaining. I almost can't wait each day to see his posting so that I can read the story. Since we met each other on Flickr, our friendship developed from commenting on each other's phtotos, to exchanging occasional flickmails, to exchanging email addresses. Maybe one day, Doug, we can visit each other. In the meantime, please keep up the good work."
August 5th, 2012
"Doug has a great Flickr site loaded with awesome images! He lives in Alaska and always seems to be out and about in search for more beautiful shots! He has many beautiful scenic, wildlife and other nature images. Whether you like close up images or views from a long distance, Doug has them all! His eye for detail and composition are always at work and he produces beautiful images time after time! Take a trip through his photostream and enjoy the beautiful works of art! He is a great Flickr member and I'm sure he will share many more cool shots in the future! Thanks, Doug for all you have shared with us! Keep up the great work!
October 29th, 2011
"I have only known Doug a short time through Flickr but I feel very privileged to do so. Not only is Doug a superb photographer but a wonderful warm hearted human being.
Doug's photographic work is very much reflective of who he is and just before I started writing this I checked his first page (I have not been on Flickr for several days) and immediately saw a superb wolf image which reminded me of the enjoyment I have had communicating with him on wildlife and environmental issues.
He is a modest guy and would baulk at any praise but "Doug, it's great to know you and I really think you are a tribute to the Flickr community. Cheers Jack"....go to his photostream if you haven't already, I'm sure you will all agree!"
October 11th, 2011
"Requiem for the Lost Site of Doug Brown
A Flickr site is a journal, not only valuable for the beauty of images,
but as a visual dairy.
Contemplating Doug’s site as if it were a beloved person who died,
myriad cherished qualities come to mind.
Year round Doug returned from trekking remote National Parks of Alaska with superb photographs AND all his fingers and toes.
Both in the seeing and execution his images are outstanding contributions to photography as a “fine art” medium.
From the flare of the sun to the masterful macro, spiced with an occasional romp in the land of digital art, Doug created a body of work resonating in heart and mind long after the viewing.
The “candid camera” of his writing beneath the pictures added an additional enjoyment to visiting his stream, honest and witty commentary taking us along on his adventures.
A generous friend, he nurtured contacts with comments and (when asked) was a source of invaluable technical advice.
The Dalai Lama was asked, “What is the most important quality in a human being? He answered “A good heart”.
Most relevant in Doug’s work is a sense of empathy with his subject, whether a forlorn wolf in the zoo or a homeless person in Anchorage.
He photographs from the inside out, giving form to essence.
The beings he portraits, animals and even flowers in The Botanical Garden are bursting with what Buddhists call “the suchness”.
Now imagine the pictures created of those most dear to Doug’s good heart.
I for one, with eyes closed, can review the collection of images of HARRY -
from “The Drool” to “Beauty and the Beast” (the 220 pound Newfoundland dog standing sideways in front of Doug’s dainty wife Mary, looking forward).
Raise a luminous, brimming glass to Harry - an immortalized star,
the lost Flickr site and in anticipation of the site to come."
August 5th, 2011
"I never knew of Doug until we met on flickr. I count him now as one of my very close friends . Doug if it were not for you I probably would have gone crazy letting myself eat away from the inside. ( you know what I mean ) Having you to talk to and share with could not have come at a better time in my life. I can only hope we meet some day before I die, that would be one of my few wishes in my life. Our correspondence has helped me to remember that there are people out in the world who really genuinly care about others. I thank you Doug. I thank you so very much.....Paul"
July 9th, 2011
yorlind photography says:
"first and formost i class doug a great and valued friend .
he is a great photographer his wildlife photos are fantastic, he is allways there to comment on your photos and what i like about doug he says what he thinks . since i have known doug i am very greatful for his kind words and help when i needed it .
he his a great and very valued friend ."
July 8th, 2011
there they are - your admirers, and I am sure, you have many more in 'real life'
let me stand in the queue of applauding your unique way of brightening the day with your thoughful and fine set words in commenting my photos!
Your own photos are made with empathy, artistic talent and a precise eye ...
Doug, please allow me to give a kiss on your right + your left cheek ...
here, in Germany, is one of your greatest fans,
it is me,
October 3rd, 2010
tiffany_C ( OFF ) says:
"Doug is one of those friends who always brights our day, always with kind words and warm heart to cheer you up.
and doug is a dog lover too, that one thing i like to him most, just like me, we both love dogs.
and have so many fantastic photos in his stream.
thank you doug for being such a good friend here in flickrs, keep on shooting, and stay sweet as you are"
December 1st, 2009
Silver Crow in Flight! says:
"All around I’d have to say that Doug is one of my all time favorite Flickr friends since joining this year. His comments are always very supportive, insightful and of great pleasure to read. But even better then that are the photos that he post himself. You can tell from his shots that he is always challenging himself to new heights. His excellent captures always seek to portray nature and life in general in its various stages of unfolding from a grand vista found only in Alaska to a delicate flower in bloom to the hard edges of living life on the street. My only complaint about Doug is that I wish he would post more photos of his treatments as I’m sure they are bound to be as entertaining as his natural shots are! Thanks Doug for keeping it real!!!"
November 2nd, 2009
"Doug strikes me as a very generous man, sincere and also very reflected. With years of experience in life itself, including the art of photography, he is a genuinely interesting guy to correspond with. Be it music, photography, travel, or just life. The curiosity in his very person, trough both the lens and mind, is also what makes his photography so genuine. Douglas takes his time to really observe and challenge. His work is as much philosophy, as it is photography.
October 31st, 2009
paul anthony bulao says:
"doug, i just met him here in flickr today and i just had to make a testimonial for him...
he is the kindest person I've ever met in flickr. he really appreciates your work. he gives you real comments. comments which really gives you the motivation to shoot and to share photos more. it's such an amazing experience.
and as you have seen, his work is really really nice.
a simple, friendly, and talented person...
thanks for appreciating my work Doug and for the great info about filipino nurses in anchorage.
TC = )"
August 18th, 2009
kadhine - Hi friends! says:
"Douglas is a real gem on Flickr.
He and his family live in a beautiful part of the world and he
knows just how to capture that beauty and share it with us.
A friendly and helpful person who always gives wonderfully
positive comments and whose input I value greatly.
July 15th, 2009
Gilet (Toni Selva) says:
Douglas Brown és una gran persona que estima la vida.
Douglas estima la terra on viu.
Douglas estima la natura, les coses, els animals..
Douglas estima l'amistat encara que sigui amb gent molt allunyada.
Crec que tot el que Douglas estima està perfectament reflectit en la seva magnífica galeria.
Toni, desde Barcelona.
(In my poor English):
Douglas Brown is a great person who loves the life.
Douglas loves the country where it lives.
Douglas loves the nature, the things, the animals,
Douglas love the friendship although it is with people very moved away.
I believe that everything what Douglas love is perfectly shaped in his superb galery.
Toni, from Barcelona."
June 11th, 2009
- Doug Brown
- January 2006
- San Jose, California
- Anchorage, Alaska, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Amateur Photographer
- dougbrown47 [at] gmail.com