If you want something to look interesting, don’t light all of it.
The beauty of a landscape resides in its melancholy.
If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.
I prefer low-light and night photography, especially scenes with dramatic light, shadow, select focus and solitary figures (usually silhouetted). I also like imposing architecture, negative space and rain.
I have no interest in creating technically "perfect" photographs. My goal is to elicit an emotional response from the viewer by creating an atmosphere, a mood.
I shoot digital and film with Nikon, Hasselblad, Fuji and Zeiss cameras using mostly manual focus lenses. What little post-processing I do is done in Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 and the NIK Collection.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD ME AS A CONTACT UNLESS YOU ARE TRULY INTERESTED IN MY WORK and don't be offended if I don't reciprocate.
All my photographs are copyrighted and are not to be used for any commercial or nonprofit purpose without my written consent. This includes internet blogs, internet pages, and any other forms of digital or analog reproduction. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- Zeiss Ikon 18,141 photos, 956 members
- ZM C Sonnar 50mm 19,024 photos, 1,281 members
- Hasselblad CFV-50c Digital Back 696 photos, 102 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 25,515 photos, 44,302 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 151,303 photos, 3,961 members
- Strobist.com 608,059 photos, 123,276 members
- totalitARTISM by DrDee 562 photos, 65 members
- RAIN - The Best on Flickr / 99+ faves 948 photos, 178 members
- The Golden Gallery (Admin-Invited Only) 55,345 photos, 4,051 members
- Soul Snatchers 23,191 photos, 843 members
- Film & Slides Scanning 60,697 photos, 2,101 members
- Moonlighting ~ By Admin Invitation Only ~ Post 1 - Comment 2 11,794 photos, 753 members
- Kodak D-76 8,524 photos, 451 members
- KODAK TRI-X 400 Black and White" 35,169 photos, 2,556 members
- TriX Lovers 92,532 photos, 5,140 members
- ~ Monochrome ~ 55,025 photos, 2,163 members
- ~ Noir Cafe ~ (by invite) 34,351 photos, 1,338 members
- Ilford FP4+ 8,983 photos, 1,357 members
- Nikon FM3A 11,660 photos, 1,138 members
- All Cats Are Gray By NIGHT 16,635 photos, 1,061 members
- 645 Medium Format 51,226 photos, 3,692 members
- Nikkor 200mm f/2.0 IF-ED Lens 512 photos, 87 members
- Fujifilm GF670 Professional 10,645 photos, 928 members
- Fuji GA645 4,769 photos, 590 members
- Fuji Medium Format Film Cameras 24,623 photos, 2,369 members
- Ilford HP5 Plus 49,451 photos, 4,803 members
- Nikon F2 (Photomic S, SB, A, AS) 17,098 photos, 1,369 members
- I Shoot Film 2,487,161 photos, 103,240 members
- Nikon FM2 93,426 photos, 5,720 members
- Nikon F6 5,154 photos, 547 members
- Nikkor 28mm f/1.4D 453 photos, 146 members
- Fujifilm FP-3000B B&W Instant Film 2,646 photos, 512 members
- I Shoot Ilford Film 114,715 photos, 7,048 members
- Ilford ID-11 2,593 photos, 264 members
- ILFORD DELTA 100 11,022 photos, 1,757 members
- Hasselblad Flexbody 853 photos, 302 members
- Hasselblad SWC 10,392 photos, 1,012 members
- HP5+ 26,717 photos, 2,473 members
- Ilford Microphen 1,535 photos, 186 members
- Ilford Delta 400 b&w film 10,477 photos, 1,740 members
- ILFORD DELTA 3200 Professional Black and White Film 14,502 photos, 3,202 members
- Ilford Ilfosol 2,714 photos, 239 members
- Hasselblad Users Group 141,489 photos, 5,693 members
- HASSELBLAD BW 30,200 photos, 3,616 members
- Hasselblad 269,875 photos, 12,822 members
- 6x6. 279,607 photos, 7,801 members
- OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group 28,116 photos, 15,607 members
- Black Pearls (Admin invite - C2) 9,841 photos, 627 members
- Red Matrix Masterpiece (Invite Only) 24,047 photos, 1,588 members
- A Cinematic World (Admin Invited Photos Only) 7,733 photos, 1,337 members
Derek Toye says:
"Definitely one of my favorite street photographers on here. Every one of his shots is full of mood and atmosphere and leaves me jealous each time. I highly recommend checking out Don's work."
April 28th, 2014
Yves Lorson says:
"I've been following Don's work for two years now....and what a wonderful poetic atmosphere he's able to create...Vicenza, or Venice, those are the cities he dwells in, in the evening, at night, that is where he finds his favorite subjects for his fantastic pictures....late night dwellers in superbly lit romantic and historic places....settings of rare beauty for his dreamy pictures....Don's pictures are for sure of timeless beauty, and always so skilfully composed....rain, lonely people in deserted streets, umbrellas, and always the historic background....with the lighting magic is made of....and I often wonder "how did he capture the light in such an astounding way" !
Don is one of the rare contacts I keep returning to.....I feel like knowing the places he shows us, although I've never been there....but I sure will !"
March 31st, 2010
"His night shots and his characters walking in rainy streets are unmistakable.
An incredible use of light and DoF, and emotionally rich pictures; Don's photostream is one of the best on flickr."
March 7th, 2010
"Don has mastered B&W photography with style and flair. The images tell a story. He has achieved excellence! When you go through the photos, stop and reflect. You will see more than you have imagined.
My sincerest compliments to you, Don. It's a pleasure to take the journey with you deep into the night. I wish you a wonderful adventure throughout the evening hours. And may the umbrella always be in the right place at the right time. :-)))
November 8th, 2009
gab 79 says:
"Don is the maestro of low light shooting!
He has a great talent in emphasizing the beauty of the scenes he choose, the incredible mood and the perfect composition make his works always recognizable and a pure pleasure to the eyes."
August 15th, 2009
"It is hard to write a testimonial for a photographer like Don because the words fall flat compared the scope and beauty of his work. This is a phenomenal portfolio shot in a ridiculously photogenic part of the world by a man who does it justice.
Every photograph is astounding."
July 8th, 2009
! . Angela Lobefaro . ! says:
"A long overdue testimonial for one of my favourite photographers and friend.
Don is an exceptional photographer, he produces magical night images. Each image is awe-inspiring and superb in beauty and quality.
Max and I are always amazed by the level of his mastery and motivated to improve our own images. He’s truly a gem of photographer.
Don’s photo stream is one of those we look forward to checking first when we log onto flickr.
We had the privilege to meet Don in Venice, where we had a great night photo walk.
Don is the real Master of nights shots on flickr!
If we had a bigger English vocabulary we would lavish more praise, because we simply couldn’t praise Don’s skills enough.
Furthermore, my interview with Don is the most viewed in our blog.:
Thanks for sharing your art with us Don, ciao from your friends Angela and Max (Hokhiko did like you too!)"
July 19th, 2008
myjuditz ( on Hubble ) says:
"Don is an American in Venice...
He had a great stream with fantastic night shots in Venice, but for some personal reasons - he gave up Flickr for a while.
I am grateful he has again an account and brought back the fascinating street scenes , mysterious shadows, subtle lights and secret night life of an ancient, incredible city!
An excellent photographer, with a keen eye for detail , light and atmosphere, Don is also a discreet , kind and generous friend on Flickr.
I am proud and happy to be amongst his friends- welcome back and stay, Don :)"
May 31st, 2008
- Donald G. Jean
- February 2008
- Hill County, Texas
- Provincia di Padova, Italy
- I am:
- Male and Taken