If you want something to look interesting, don’t light all of it.
I prefer low-light and night photography, especially scenes with silhouettes, shadow, select focus and solitary figures. I also like imposing architecture, negative space and rain.
I have no interest in creating technically "perfect" photographs. I'll leave that to the pixel peepers and gear heads. My goal is to elicit an emotional response from the viewer by creating an atmosphere, a mood with light and shadow.
I shoot digital and film with Nikon, Hasselblad and Fuji cameras using mostly manual focus lenses. What little post-processing I do is done in Adobe Lightroom 5 and the NIK Collection.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD ME AS A CONTACT UNLESS YOU ARE TRULY INTERESTED IN MY WORK and don't be offended if I don't reciprocate. I only add people I've developed a personal relationship with.
All my photographs are copyrighted and are not to be used for any commercial or nonprofit purpose without my written consent. This includes internet blogs, internet pages, and any other forms of digital or analog reproduction. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- totalitARTISM by DrDee 533 photos, 68 members
- RAIN - The Best on Flickr / 99+ faves 647 photos, 109 members
- The Golden Gallery (Admin-Invited Only) 53,396 photos, 3,909 members
- Film Noir Mood 2,593 photos, 23,131 members
- Soul Snatchers 19,860 photos, 813 members
- Film & Slides Scanning 48,001 photos, 1,950 members
- Moonlighting ~ By Admin Invitation Only ~ Post 1 - Comment 2 9,886 photos, 684 members
- Kodak D-76 6,957 photos, 371 members
- KODAK TRI-X 400 Black and White" 29,604 photos, 2,118 members
- TriX Lovers 79,915 photos, 4,485 members
- ~ Monochrome ~ 43,402 photos, 1,901 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 67,732 photos, 3,901 members
- ~ Noir Cafe ~ (by invite) 31,881 photos, 1,304 members
- Ilford FP4+ 6,279 photos, 1,012 members
- Nikon FM3A 10,692 photos, 1,058 members
- All Cats Are Gray By Night 14,802 photos, 988 members
- 645 Medium Format 46,976 photos, 3,435 members
- Nikkor 200mm f/2.0 IF-ED Lens 415 photos, 61 members
- Fujifilm GF670 Professional 9,513 photos, 867 members
- Fuji GA645 3,638 photos, 481 members
- Fuji Medium Format Film Cameras 21,714 photos, 2,110 members
- Ilford HP5 Plus 40,911 photos, 4,012 members
- Nikon F2 (Photomic S, SB, A, AS) 15,303 photos, 1,219 members
- I Shoot Film 2,381,931 photos, 98,390 members
- Nikon FM2 88,400 photos, 5,346 members
- Nikon F6 4,429 photos, 490 members
- Nikkor 28mm f/1.4D 452 photos, 130 members
- Fujifilm FP-3000B B&W Instant Film 2,364 photos, 453 members
- I Shoot Ilford Film 102,095 photos, 6,520 members
- Ilford ID-11 2,116 photos, 209 members
- ILFORD DELTA 100 9,681 photos, 1,507 members
- Hasselblad Flexbody 842 photos, 276 members
- Hasselblad SWC 9,611 photos, 921 members
- HP5+ 22,795 photos, 2,079 members
- Ilford Microphen 1,305 photos, 174 members
- Ilford Delta 400 b&w film 8,928 photos, 1,491 members
- ILFORD DELTA 3200 Professional Black and White Film 13,330 photos, 2,910 members
- Ilford Ilfosol 2,283 photos, 215 members
- Hasselblad Users Group 134,505 photos, 5,431 members
- HASSELBLAD BW 29,876 photos, 3,370 members
- Hasselblad 259,339 photos, 12,498 members
- 6x6. 261,456 photos, 7,176 members
- OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group 23,838 photos, 14,668 members
- Black Pearls (Admin invite - C2) 8,761 photos, 588 members
- Red Matrix Masterpiece (Invite Only) 23,123 photos, 1,462 members
- A Cinematic World (Admin Invited Photos Only) 7,694 photos, 1,300 members
- ╠Art Libre-Free Art-Arte Libre Challenge A TRICK OF THE LIGHT 50,307 photos, 8,335 members
Derek Toye says:
"Definitely one of my favorite street photographers on here. Every one of his shots is full of mood and atmosphere and leaves me jealous each time. I highly recommend checking out Don's work."
April 28th, 2014
Yves Lorson says:
"I've been following Don's work for two years now....and what a wonderful poetic atmosphere he's able to create...Vicenza, or Venice, those are the cities he dwells in, in the evening, at night, that is where he finds his favorite subjects for his fantastic pictures....late night dwellers in superbly lit romantic and historic places....settings of rare beauty for his dreamy pictures....Don's pictures are for sure of timeless beauty, and always so skilfully composed....rain, lonely people in deserted streets, umbrellas, and always the historic background....with the lighting magic is made of....and I often wonder "how did he capture the light in such an astounding way" !
Don is one of the rare contacts I keep returning to.....I feel like knowing the places he shows us, although I've never been there....but I sure will !"
March 31st, 2010
"His night shots and his characters walking in rainy streets are unmistakable.
An incredible use of light and DoF, and emotionally rich pictures; Don's photostream is one of the best on flickr."
March 7th, 2010
"Don has mastered B&W photography with style and flair. The images tell a story. He has achieved excellence! When you go through the photos, stop and reflect. You will see more than you have imagined.
My sincerest compliments to you, Don. It's a pleasure to take the journey with you deep into the night. I wish you a wonderful adventure throughout the evening hours. And may the umbrella always be in the right place at the right time. :-)))
November 8th, 2009
gab 79 says:
"Don is the maestro of low light shooting!
He has a great talent in emphasizing the beauty of the scenes he choose, the incredible mood and the perfect composition make his works always recognizable and a pure pleasure to the eyes."
August 15th, 2009
"It is hard to write a testimonial for a photographer like Don because the words fall flat compared the scope and beauty of his work. This is a phenomenal portfolio shot in a ridiculously photogenic part of the world by a man who does it justice.
Every photograph is astounding."
July 8th, 2009
"A long overdue testimonial for one of my favourite photographers and friend.
Don is an exceptional photographer, he produces magical night images. Each image is awe-inspiring and superb in beauty and quality.
Max and I are always amazed by the level of his mastery and motivated to improve our own images. He’s truly a gem of photographer.
Don’s photo stream is one of those we look forward to checking first when we log onto flickr.
We had the privilege to meet Don in Venice, where we had a great night photo walk.
Don is the real Master of nights shots on flickr!
If we had a bigger English vocabulary we would lavish more praise, because we simply couldn’t praise Don’s skills enough.
Furthermore, my interview with Don is the most viewed in our blog.:
Thanks for sharing your art with us Don, ciao from your friends Angela and Max (Hokhiko did like you too!)"
July 19th, 2008
myjuditz ( on Hubble ) says:
"Don is an American in Venice...
He had a great stream with fantastic night shots in Venice, but for some personal reasons - he gave up Flickr for a while.
I am grateful he has again an account and brought back the fascinating street scenes , mysterious shadows, subtle lights and secret night life of an ancient, incredible city!
An excellent photographer, with a keen eye for detail , light and atmosphere, Don is also a discreet , kind and generous friend on Flickr.
I am proud and happy to be amongst his friends- welcome back and stay, Don :)"
May 31st, 2008
- Donald G. Jean
- February 2008
- Hill County, Texas
- Provincia di Padova, Italy
- I am:
- Male and Taken