If you want something to look interesting, don’t light all of it.
I prefer low-light and night photography, especially scenes with silhouettes, shadow, select focus and solitary figures. I also like imposing architecture, negative space and rain.
I have no interest in creating technically "perfect" photographs. I'll leave that to the pixel peepers and gear heads. My goal is to elicit an emotional response from the viewer by creating an atmosphere, a mood with light and shadow.
I shoot digital and film with Nikon, Hasselblad and Fuji cameras using mostly manual focus lenses. What little post-processing I do is done in Adobe Lightroom 5 and the NIK Collection.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD ME AS A CONTACT UNLESS YOU ARE TRULY INTERESTED IN MY WORK and don't be offended if I don't reciprocate. I only add people I've developed a personal relationship with.
All my photographs are copyrighted and are not to be used for any commercial or nonprofit purpose without my written consent. This includes internet blogs, internet pages, and any other forms of digital or analog reproduction. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- totalitARTISM by DrDee 519 photos, 70 members
- RAIN - The Best on Flickr / 99+ faves 623 photos, 103 members
- The Golden Gallery (Admin-Invited Only) 53,287 photos, 3,904 members
- Film Noir Mood 2,515 photos, 22,751 members
- Soul Snatchers 19,611 photos, 812 members
- Film & Slides Scanning 47,080 photos, 1,927 members
- Moonlighting ~ By Admin Invitation Only ~ Post 1 - Comment 2 9,698 photos, 673 members
- Kodak D-76 6,860 photos, 366 members
- KODAK TRI-X 400 Black and White" 29,075 photos, 2,072 members
- TriX Lovers 78,515 photos, 4,400 members
- ~ Monochrome ~ 42,559 photos, 1,857 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 65,421 photos, 3,850 members
- ~ Noir Cafe ~ (by invite) 31,805 photos, 1,298 members
- Ilford FP4+ 5,991 photos, 975 members
- Nikon FM3A 10,584 photos, 1,052 members
- All Cats Are Gray By Night 14,712 photos, 981 members
- 645 Medium Format 46,697 photos, 3,402 members
- Nikkor 200mm f/2.0 IF-ED Lens 400 photos, 59 members
- Fujifilm GF670 Professional 9,347 photos, 860 members
- Fuji GA645 3,566 photos, 477 members
- Fuji Medium Format Film Cameras 21,390 photos, 2,087 members
- Ilford HP5 Plus 40,173 photos, 3,929 members
- Nikon F2 (Photomic S, SB, A, AS) 15,099 photos, 1,198 members
- I Shoot Film 2,370,522 photos, 97,821 members
- Nikon FM2 87,472 photos, 5,323 members
- Nikon F6 4,386 photos, 485 members
- Nikkor 28mm f/1.4D 452 photos, 129 members
- Fujifilm FP-3000B B&W Instant Film 2,332 photos, 445 members
- I Shoot Ilford Film 100,724 photos, 6,477 members
- Ilford ID-11 2,090 photos, 205 members
- ILFORD DELTA 100 9,568 photos, 1,479 members
- Hasselblad Flexbody 841 photos, 274 members
- Hasselblad SWC 9,619 photos, 910 members
- HP5+ 22,472 photos, 2,045 members
- Ilford Microphen 1,253 photos, 172 members
- Ilford Delta 400 b&w film 8,766 photos, 1,471 members
- ILFORD DELTA 3200 Professional Black and White Film 13,165 photos, 2,891 members
- Ilford Ilfosol 2,243 photos, 212 members
- Hasselblad Users Group 133,501 photos, 5,402 members
- HASSELBLAD BW 29,473 photos, 3,360 members
- Hasselblad 257,842 photos, 12,473 members
- 6x6. 259,053 photos, 7,113 members
- OFFICIAL Carl Zeiss Lenses Group 23,629 photos, 14,544 members
- Black Pearls (Admin invite - C2) 8,795 photos, 586 members
- Red Matrix Masterpiece (Invite Only) 23,118 photos, 1,462 members
- A Cinematic World (Admin Invited Photos Only) 7,708 photos, 1,300 members
- ╠Art Libre-Free Art-Arte Libre-NEW Challenge "Divineness" 50,214 photos, 8,303 members
Derek Toye says:
"Definitely one of my favorite street photographers on here. Every one of his shots is full of mood and atmosphere and leaves me jealous each time. I highly recommend checking out Don's work."
April 28th, 2014
Yves Lorson says:
"I've been following Don's work for two years now....and what a wonderful poetic atmosphere he's able to create...Vicenza, or Venice, those are the cities he dwells in, in the evening, at night, that is where he finds his favorite subjects for his fantastic pictures....late night dwellers in superbly lit romantic and historic places....settings of rare beauty for his dreamy pictures....Don's pictures are for sure of timeless beauty, and always so skilfully composed....rain, lonely people in deserted streets, umbrellas, and always the historic background....with the lighting magic is made of....and I often wonder "how did he capture the light in such an astounding way" !
Don is one of the rare contacts I keep returning to.....I feel like knowing the places he shows us, although I've never been there....but I sure will !"
March 31st, 2010
"His night shots and his characters walking in rainy streets are unmistakable.
An incredible use of light and DoF, and emotionally rich pictures; Don's photostream is one of the best on flickr."
March 7th, 2010
"Don has mastered B&W photography with style and flair. The images tell a story. He has achieved excellence! When you go through the photos, stop and reflect. You will see more than you have imagined.
My sincerest compliments to you, Don. It's a pleasure to take the journey with you deep into the night. I wish you a wonderful adventure throughout the evening hours. And may the umbrella always be in the right place at the right time. :-)))
November 8th, 2009
gab 79 says:
"Don is the maestro of low light shooting!
He has a great talent in emphasizing the beauty of the scenes he choose, the incredible mood and the perfect composition make his works always recognizable and a pure pleasure to the eyes."
August 15th, 2009
"It is hard to write a testimonial for a photographer like Don because the words fall flat compared the scope and beauty of his work. This is a phenomenal portfolio shot in a ridiculously photogenic part of the world by a man who does it justice.
Every photograph is astounding."
July 8th, 2009
"A long overdue testimonial for one of my favourite photographers and friend.
Don is an exceptional photographer, he produces magical night images. Each image is awe-inspiring and superb in beauty and quality.
Max and I are always amazed by the level of his mastery and motivated to improve our own images. He’s truly a gem of photographer.
Don’s photo stream is one of those we look forward to checking first when we log onto flickr.
We had the privilege to meet Don in Venice, where we had a great night photo walk.
Don is the real Master of nights shots on flickr!
If we had a bigger English vocabulary we would lavish more praise, because we simply couldn’t praise Don’s skills enough.
Furthermore, my interview with Don is the most viewed in our blog.:
Thanks for sharing your art with us Don, ciao from your friends Angela and Max (Hokhiko did like you too!)"
July 19th, 2008
myjuditz ( on Hubble ) says:
"Don is an American in Venice...
He had a great stream with fantastic night shots in Venice, but for some personal reasons - he gave up Flickr for a while.
I am grateful he has again an account and brought back the fascinating street scenes , mysterious shadows, subtle lights and secret night life of an ancient, incredible city!
An excellent photographer, with a keen eye for detail , light and atmosphere, Don is also a discreet , kind and generous friend on Flickr.
I am proud and happy to be amongst his friends- welcome back and stay, Don :)"
May 31st, 2008
- Donald G. Jean
- February 2008
- Hill County, Texas
- Provincia di Padova, Italy
- I am:
- Male and Taken