You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
- Mark Twain
Life's about friendships, the way you love your partner, the way you care for your children. That is what life is about. Not anything about earning a hundred zillion dollars because you toured America more than anyone else. I want life to be about creativity.
- Joe Strummer, former lead singer for the Clash
Discovery is the ability to be puzzled by simple things.
- Noam Chomsky
Long ago I learned to take my time and try not to force perspective.
- Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk 2014 20,549 photos, 3,460 members
- 121clicks 18,770 photos, 9,936 members
- DSC-HX100V 18,676 photos, 678 members
- Fuji X100 191,734 photos, 10,255 members
- Lakers 14,660 photos, 439 members
- Fuji x100s 147,211 photos, 7,362 members
- GRMI Scott Kelby World Wide Photo Walk 2012 18 photos, 5 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2012 153 photos, 31 members
- The Michigan Gallery- 45,435 photos, 1,141 members
- The Revolving Door Project 316 photos, 125 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 9,117 photos, 198 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2011 635 photos, 8 members
- Grand Rapids, MI • Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk 2011 246 photos, 22 members
- GRAM Photo Walks: Urban Explorations 330 photos, 25 members
- AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8/D User Group. 13,931 photos, 1,891 members
- Fototrove by Getty Images Archive 0 photos, 597 members
- burn, burn, burn! (start/end of film shots) 2,176 photos, 577 members
- suburbex 263 photos, 75 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2010 190 photos, 21 members
- The Brenizer Method 7,969 photos, 5,881 members
- OLV Fan Photos 358 photos, 69 members
- 28th Street Metro Cruise 782 photos, 24 members
- America's Favorite Farmers Markets 2,819 photos, 297 members
- Flickr: Port Huron 4,237 photos, 44 members
- Michigan Water 188 photos, 103 members
- Friends of Grand Rapids Parks 155 photos, 16 members
- John Ball Zoo 411 photos, 72 members
- Grand Rapids Flickrwalk 340 photos, 47 members
- City of Grand Rapids, Michigan 2,167 photos, 87 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2009 811 photos, 28 members
- Grand Rapids Black & White 2,040 photos, 81 members
- Park(ing) Day GR 169 photos, 10 members
- GR Flickr Slideshow 361 photos, 98 members
- St. Joseph Island / St. Marys River 668 photos, 41 members
- Scott Kelby’s Worldwide Photo Walk: Grand Rapids 2009 175 photos, 17 members
- Manistee 1,082 photos, 41 members
- Pola Dogs 1,777 photos, 335 members
- Grand Rapids - Festival of the Arts 1,856 photos, 97 members
- Toilets for Terry 154 photos, 84 members
- ArtPrize® Grand Rapids (Official) 24,535 photos, 953 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,998 photos, 356 members
- Film + EXIF 4,849 photos, 247 members
- Polaroid 306,972 photos, 32,507 members
- POLAROID SCARS 3,249 photos, 422 members
- Nikon Film Cameras 232,375 photos, 14,643 members
- Nikkor Manual lens on DSLR 22,990 photos, 1,292 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2008 1,474 photos, 38 members
- Scott Kelby’s Worldwide Photo Walk: Grand Rapids 368 photos, 16 members
- The Blue Wall Project 2,422 photos, 306 members
- Grand Rapids - Blues on the Mall 810 photos, 45 members
Brooke Pennington says:
"Matt is Michigan in all of the good ways. When I am being lazy and not leaving the comforts of home he is doing my traveling for me. Ice fishing, hockey games, bigfoot hunting, he does it all and I still get to be lazy and watch. For those of you who think I am being silly, Matt really did catch a sasquatch once. We here in Grand Rapids named him Chad and you are more than welcome to view some of his shots on flickr. Great catch Matt!"
February 13th, 2009
Mac Girl says:
"Talent, thy name art Docksidepress!
Matt's titles and captions never fail to amuse and inform, but more importantly he is one of the most talented people that I know. He makes every shot look effortless... like anyone could pick up any old camera any day and get that particular shot of the firemen doing the hardest part of their job, or capture just that kind of light and bokeh on any flower, or make that tree look like no other tree in the world and yet at the same time make it remind you of every tree beautiful tree that you've ever seen in your life. That's talent! That's Matt!"
February 23rd, 2008
curved liquid says:
"My last "testimonial" wasn't good enough for this man....
I don't know where Matt's talent has come from, but I would have to say that Matt is one of the best photographers in grand rapids, bar none. He has an eye for photography that is truley amazing and inspiring. his gallery is just stunning.
Not only is his photography amazing, but he's an amazing person. Matt is someone who would go out of his way to help you, or to even meet you. His dedication to grand rapids photography, both online here at flickr, and in the real life, is truly appreciated.
I'm glad to have him not only as a contact, but as a friend as well."
September 29th, 2007
RM Stratton says:
"Matt is real, his photography... honest.
Like a pull tab Shlitz, this shit's for real,"
August 27th, 2007
"I always look forward to something new popping up on Matt's photostream. He has a terrific eye for colors and patterns, with a sharp wit thrown into the mix. I love that he takes the time to explore his world, turning something as seemingly mundane as an office park into an exotic locale."
March 1st, 2007
"An exceptional photographer, and willing to always have his camera ready; this is no small task! His photos always stand out from the crowd."
February 16th, 2007
"Two words can describe docksidepress: AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHER. His eye for photography is always dead on and he really seems to get those "out of the ballpark" shots. Not to mention that he is using a point and shoot camera and getting gallery worthy shots. This proves one major thing... its not the equipment, its the artist. Amazing work and I keep coming back for more."
November 26th, 2006
- Matt Stangis
- May 2006
- Charlevoix, MI
- Grand Rapids, MI, USA (change)
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- visual junkie
- mstangis [at] comcast.net